This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I cannot answer that one bud, As far as I know, they have not taken any money for SGU.
    ok still weird (hurts my head )
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Guys

Enough of the 'is sgu good or bad' stuff. It's not on topic and let's stop rehashing this stuff please.

Agree to disagree
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

*agrees to disagree*
        sigpic

Comment

1.well first off, i think that the goal should not be to get permission from mgm so we can make a kickstarter project but for us to persuade mgm to make a kickstarter project themselves.

2.we should be realistic: that means, we can't continu the sgu series(the cast has moved on and has other obligations) but we can ask them to kickstart a sgu movie/mini-series or a stand alone movie or a pilot for a new series that could grow in to a mini-series or a full season depending on the money raised

so the first and only thing we can do is basically start spamming all stargate/scifi/television blogs/forums/mesage boards/letters

so if you are on an mgm board then propose the idee to mgm and fellow visitors, ask j.mallozzi/darren to suggest it to mgm,start a topic on tv.com/ign.com/....com, etc

and don't forget to mention that they have notting to loose by trying and to have nice awards for investors because without proper rewards fan or no fan people will feel cheated out of their money

Comment

Originally posted by arend View Post
            1.well first off, i think that the goal should not be to get permission from mgm so we can make a kickstarter project but for us to persuade mgm to make a kickstarter project themselves.
            You cannot do something Stargate - or even Universe WITHOUT the permission from MGM. MGM OWNS Universe. And also MGM cannot take donated money.

2.we should be realistic: that means, we can't continu the sgu series(the cast has moved on and has other obligations) but we can ask them to kickstart a sgu movie/mini-series or a stand alone movie or a pilot for a new series that could grow in to a mini-series or a full season depending on the money raised
            Actors are doing acting for their lifes, acting is their job. Ask your parents or live on your own and you will understand what I mean.
            Actors acting without being paid for is a very rare situation and mostly happens because there's something they want to tell with this, playing with some other actors they are fans/friends of, donations for any aid organizations, ... Beside that you will hardly find a an actor doing a character without payment. Anyone needs a place to live and something to eat and drink - unfortunately but true *shrugs*.

so the first and only thing we can do is basically start spamming all stargate/scifi/television blogs/forums/mesage boards/letters
            It was said ... feeled 1,000,000 times before: It's pretty useless. No board or forum can help here. And MGM and Syfy seem both not too sad without Universe.

so if you are on an mgm board then propose the idee to mgm and fellow visitors, ask j.mallozzi/darren to suggest it to mgm,start a topic on tv.com/ign.com/....com, etc
            WHAT has our beloved Darren to do with MGM? He's nothing more then anyone here, besides that this site is his - a FANsite.
            Beside that, as far as I know JM is pretty busy with other (comic) projects. To be true, it seems to me more like he's trying to get a comic-version of this *cough*masterpiece*cough* Extinction right now. I don't think he's so much interested in Universe anymore.
            As for the others ... wasn't Cooper now working with Gero on something? And has Wright not another project in the pipeline? Sorry, I don't follow the gang anymore so it's possible I'm wrong here.

and don't forget to mention that they have notting to loose by trying and to have nice awards for investors because without proper rewards fan or no fan people will feel cheated out of their money
            Again: pretty useless. The last time I've seen something like that was the lost try of German-Universe-fans to make some networks here (RTL-group, Syfy Germany, Universal Europe) bring back Universe. Official answer from Syfy: NO WAY!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
            Sig & Avi by Josi
            sigpic
            LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
            I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              The SGU animated continuation was recently sent a cease and desist from the MGM legal department and they were not collecting money in the name of Stargate. Do this and you probably will be sued.
              I knew that was going to happen. Despite many people including myself telling them they need to talk to MGM and get permission they obviously didn't. It sucks but what do you expect...

To the original post here, fan funding just doesn't work out. Too many hurdles out there. Many have tried, with SGU and many other shows but it doesn't work out.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by dacooker
              The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Zombie you start each post with a burn on and expend it through the rant.

If you don't like it don't post.Better yet don't even read it.

The problem is everyone thinks their version of the show would have been better, so the show becomes a Rorschach test for peoples creativity or 'lack there off'.

Don't worry it won't be long before gamming tech and movie tech merge so you can create your own show. Then the dictatorship of the corporate brown nose, will be a distant memory and we will all see the show we want to , just like a mirror.
                SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

@Hyndara71, have you even read my post?
                  You cannot do something Stargate - or even Universe WITHOUT the permission from MGM. MGM OWNS Universe. And also MGM cannot take donated money.
                  1. i do not propose to do anything without the permission of mgm in fact what i said was that if there was to be a kickstarter project then it should come from mgm and not from us.

2. kickstarter.com is not donating but investing and as far as i know even if it was donating there is still no law against that but like i said its not even an issue.

Actors are doing acting for their lifes, acting is their job. Ask your parents or live on your own and you will understand what I mean.
                  Actors acting without being paid for is a very rare situation and mostly happens because there's something they want to tell with this, playing with some other actors they are fans/friends of, donations for any aid organizations, ... Beside that you will hardly find a an actor doing a character without payment. Anyone needs a place to live and something to eat and drink - unfortunately but true *shrugs*.
                  again, have you even read my post, where do i suggest that they would act without pay?

It was said ... feeled 1,000,000 times before: It's pretty useless. No board or forum can help here. And MGM and Syfy seem both not too sad without Universe.
                  i am not saying any board or forum can help, what i am saying is to post on these to create awareness that people are still interested, to keep reminding mgm that an option like kickstarter exists by having them see people posting about it if they schould ever happen to visit a board/forum.

WHAT has our beloved Darren to do with MGM? He's nothing more then anyone here, besides that this site is his - a FANsite.
                  Beside that, as far as I know JM is pretty busy with other (comic) projects. To be true, it seems to me more like he's trying to get a comic-version of this *cough*masterpiece*cough* Extinction right now. I don't think he's so much interested in Universe anymore.
                  As for the others ... wasn't Cooper now working with Gero on something? And has Wright not another project in the pipeline? Sorry, I don't follow the gang anymore so it's possible I'm wrong here.
                  i mentioned darren to be honest more as a humorous note but still annybody who does interviews with these people can bring it up be it directly to mgm or via via, and yes not that i think one of these request will make an impact on mgm but if they hear it from everywere then the total buzz might.

Again: pretty useless. The last time I've seen something like that was the lost try of German-Universe-fans to make some networks here (RTL-group, Syfy Germany, Universal Europe) bring back Universe. Official answer from Syfy: NO WAY
                  again, when i say they have nothing to lose i mean they get all the possible rewards without the financial risk.

lastly: offcourse this is a longshot but this is a kickstarter topic for stargate fans so i thought i should voice my opinion and dreams @Hyndara71 if you choose to reply to this then please read my post first.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
                    Zombie you start each post with a burn on and expend it through the rant.
                    Uh... Rant? I gave my reasoning and my thoughts (including the few good points about SGU) and I at least tried to justify why I didn't like the series instead of "I hate this series with all of my passion", I even included 4 good SGU episodes in my post to you.

If you don't like it don't post.Better yet don't even read it.
                    Then how will people know what's good, what's bad, what's wrong and what could be improved; opinion is used in everything to improve every possible situation. If everybody lived by that general methodology then there would be no consensus or even opinion, everything would be perfect 5 out of 5's with the critics being shut out.

This is an example of bias, telling people that if they don't like it then they shouldn't watch it or read it.

The problem is everyone thinks their version of the show would have been better, so the show becomes a Rorschach test for peoples creativity or 'lack there off'.
                    I don't have a vision for the show, I just have expectations given to me by the creators themselves.

Don't worry it won't be long before gamming tech and movie tech merge so you can create your own show. Then the dictatorship of the corporate brown nose, will be a distant memory and we will all see the show we want to , just like a mirror.
                    Ever wonder why people watch TV shows; they want to take the stress off their mind and see other people in other situations? to develop technology that would allow people to create and even be in their own TV shows would just take away from the fun, especially considering that everyone would be able to create their own shows. You may think that they would share these shows with one another but there's a thing called egotism that prevents you from doing that because if you merge gaming tech (which actually involves playing a game) and movie tech then you're giving people the ability to create and star in their own shows, thus leaving very few shows that people would want to watch; because why watch those supposedly inferior shows when you can create your own with easy technology?

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    Did they? Please cite a source. I don't recall anything like that being said by the producers.
                    From Wikipedia: According to Brad Wright, the show should "hopefully explor[e] the truly alien, and [avoid] the rubber faced English-speaking one[s]".
                    Last edited by ZRFTS; 18 April 2012, 07:18 AM.
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

lastly: offcourse this is a longshot but this is a kickstarter topic for stargate fans so i thought i should voice my opinion and dreams @Hyndara71 if you choose to reply to this then please read my post first.
                      I've read your post very well and ánswered in my opinion.
                      BTW, I don't think it's up to stargate fans to fund Universe. Universe has its own fans, search there and leave the SG-fans out of it.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                      Sig & Avi by Josi
                      sigpic
                      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

@Hyndara71 tell me the truth, are you drunk or something?????

how can you claim that i said those thing when i refuted everything you have said in your post above.

and
                        BTW, I don't think it's up to stargate fans to fund Universe. Universe has its own fans, search there and leave the SG-fans out of it.
                        1.you do know that a fan of stargate universe is still a stargate fan right as the title off the series being: stargate universe gives it pretty much away.

2. this is a freaking stargate universe section off the site so again, what the hell are you on about?

3.i'm verry sorry to be so mean about it in this post but i am about to Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

can someone other then Hyndara71 please read my last 3 posts and Hyndara71's last 2 posts and give us your honest opinion please because i don't seem to know how to communicate with you(Hyndara71).

this reminds me off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8pe-OLi6w

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                          Hmm. Well, seeing as (if I'm reading it right) the most funded (cash amount-wise) stuff in Kickstarter are both in the region of 3 million USD (I spent 30 USD on the Wasteland 2 one, which hit over 3 million USD. I'm probably going to do the same for the Shadowrun Returns and/or Banner Saga, too)...I think that, even if the folks who'd ok a kickstarter by fans would say 'ok', it seems unlikely to succeed. (I've seen a few kickstarter projects asking for less than 10k failing)

Also, It doesn't help that SGU was kinda divisive, in a way (I personally liked it, and would like to see more, but I do get where those who didn't like it are coming from).
                          There's also the question of momentum, I guess: it's been almost a year since the show aired its last episode...maybe if fans offered to step up while it was still being shown, etc. etc. etc.
                          (but, hey, who knows. The first Wasteland game was made in the 80s...)

Methinks something less than a return of the series proper could work (webisodes? audio books/drama? novels?), but that's all provided that the powers-that-be would be ok with all that.
                          i'll get right on an answer to that as soon as i hammer a nail through my testicles, eyes and frontal lobes.
                          sigpic
                          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

for those still fuzzy about Kickstarter, here's the link for a project that's been funded:
                            http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

One of the concerns raised here is about contributors being part of the creative process; that depends on the project and those behind it.

In the case of the one linked above, there's a clear set of 'rewards' for those who pledged/donated. Pay X amount (you only get charged if the project goal is reached in the first place), get Y on the estimated date of project completion (in the case of the above, Oct. 2013).
                            ALSO, I'm not sure if, once a project is funded, there's any guarantee that a project will be made (so pledge-makers beware, I guess).
                            This vid (game commentator Totalbiscuit's 'mailbox' thingy) discusses aspects of Kickstarter at the start (including a short bit on the difference of 'crowd sourcing' and being an 'investor'):
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mx0w..._e_top&list=SL

...but as already been said above, the best the fans can do, I guess, is to convince TPTB (i.e., MGM, I guess?) to try to get 'something' funded and for said fans to shell out cash IF TPTB go for it (which is unlikely, I suppose. I wouldn't know)

sigpic

Comment

And how exactly would you go about doing that? Ask them nicely or put a petition together? (as if that method hasn't been done to death already).

MGM are a business and they have already decided that an SGU movie wouldn't be profitable for them. Also extremely doubt that they would even consider accepting donations of any kind due to the legal implications.

If we could change their mind then one of the SaveSGU campaigns would have been successful. Everything that can realistically be done has already been done, some cancelled shows simply can't be brought back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                                You cannot do something Stargate - or even Universe WITHOUT the permission from MGM. MGM OWNS Universe.
                                *ahem* fanfics
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X