No announcement yet.

The Changeling (619)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the transitions, like when we first see Daniel, the curtain change was kewl.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

This is definitely one of my favourite season 6 episodes. CJ did a great job in writing this ep. I especially like the way he linked all the crazy stuff that's going on in their reality to a normal persons life. Also Martin Wood did a great job in directing this, the transitions from one dream to the other are awesome and I was really wondering how they were able to do that until I watched the ep on DVD with audio commentary.
      For me this is one of the ep that I can watch over and over again even though you know what's real and what not.

Comment

Great episode and acting by CJ. Outstanding
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Dramaqueen
          For me this is one of the ep that I can watch over and over again even though you know what's real and what not.
          Me too. Part of it is that there are so many subtleties and layers of meaning, and you can see the symbolism of the dream sequences in more ways than one, so it isn't even exactly the same story each time you see it.

For instance, Daniel. It's canon that Teal'c believes he saw Daniel and Daniel helped him, but how much of it was 'real' Daniel and how much was Teal'c's projection of Daniel is open to question. As is the degree to which Daniel controlled the visions - a lot, a little or not at all. I can watch the episode in each of those ways, assuming a particular level of Daniel-participation and finding clues to support that view.

I can imagine that Bray is just a part of Teal'c's dream, or I can believe that Daniel is givving support to Bra'tac too and that Bra'tac himself is in Teal'c's dream, bringing his own subconscious thoughts to Teal'c's visions. If the latter option is 'real' then it's an interesting window into Bra'tac, seeing that he's got the same sort of attitude to death as he had in Serpents Lair and Maternal instinct - that death is acceptable for him and when it's his time he'll go. And that even as he's dying he's still there to mentor Teal'c, make him think and support him.

Or I can watch for the look of the thing. It's a particularly good-looking ep, and has one of my favourite shots in the whole show - the battlefield covered in water and dead Jaffa, and Teal'c and Bra'tac among them. It's rare that a shot can evoke sadness all on its own, without any dialogue or even motion from the actors, but that one's very powerful, and eerily beautiful too.

I love to watch it with Threshold in mind. Then we learnt that the Life Flashing Before Your Eyes bit really happens for Symbiote-free Jaffa. Here though it's not his life, it's T-Man's. Because of Daniel? Because of the injuries Teal'c had? because of something in Teal'c's deep subconscious that had made him *want* to address his own past in Threshold but wouldn't allow him to in Changeling? Who knows. Whichever way, it brings new shades of meaning to Threshold. (Those two eps are good to watch back-to-back.)

And then it's interesting to try to parallel Teal'c's vision of T's life with past events in his own life as opposed to current fears and hang-ups which are easier to make a connection with.

Or I can just sit back and let it all just flow through me, and enjoy the cracking good story. That works just fine too

Madeleine

Comment

I think Daniel was a pretty powerful being if he could place himself in other peoples dreams and such, and good thing Daniel was a good person, or else really really bad things could have happened, haha.. It was nice to see some old faces though, i forgot what their names were though Haha... (Although i didn't forget Apophis's name )

Comment

I don't think it made Daniel 'powerful' as such but good to see he is there when his friends needed him most
              __

__

Comment

Well, i said that he must have been a powerful being because he could easily place himself in Teal'c's head, and control his dreams, well maybe not 'control' but tell him the things for Teal'c to know to do the right things. Not many 'beings' could do what ascended people can do, so thats why i thought he was powerful

Comment

I think the way Daniel guided them, but not in a way to force them to do it
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                    I think the way Daniel guided them, but not in a way to force them to do it
                    Huh? i know we are talking about Daniel and 'not/is being powerful' etc, but them? force? I'm confused a little.

Comment

I meant that Daniel didn't force them to make a choice, but he guided them to each one and help them choose the right one
                      __

__

Comment

Yah, i didn't say Daniel 'forced' Teal'c to do anything, i said that his prescence in Teal'c's dreams was a familiar face who could be trusted, which was easy for Teal'c to choose the right decisions, but just not in these words, haha..

Comment

Exactly what I was saying, in a little more depth. I liked it when Daniel was Ancient, I think he helped people with a bit more ease
                          __

__

Comment

Yah, but i don't think he was even supposed to be helping much, because talking to them was a violation, well maybe not in Teal'c's case.

Comment

Yea, but he never really got punished so I don't see how it was
                              __

__

Comment

Cause its like how the Nox doesn't do violence in anyway, but in the episode.. i forgot the episode name, but Lya, the Nox lady hid one of the cannons in Tollana, which prevented her from passing the fine line from intervening. Since Daniel didn't do anything physically himself, it didn't really get him in trouble, although he knew they were watching him, but he did mentally talk Jack and Teal'c into doing things without physically doing anything. Ok, maybe you don't have to read what i just wrote, in the episode Abyss and Full Circle (i think), Daniel tells Jack that hes breaking the rules as they speak, or something, i'm going to have to carefully relisten to what he says... Until then, i'll be back

Comment

Working...
                                X