No announcement yet.

Night Terrors (3209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel really sorry for Mark Gatiss. I think in an ordinary show his writing would be considered to be quite good, but when his episode is put on next to one of Steven Moffat's, it looks pretty mediocre.

I liked the peg dolls very much - they were deliciously creepy, and I loved how Rory automatically assumed he had died (again) I also loved the list of the Doctor's favourite books.

Incidentally I thought the dolls house probably belonged to George's Mum as well.

I gave this episode 6/10. Good creepy episode but didn't quite hit the spot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      Awful episode.
      That's what I was saying *before* I watched the eppy (due to seeing the preview commercials for it)..! EEEEEEEEEEEK! I hate creepy. Seen that sort of doll stuff in an old "Trilogy of Terror" (type of) film from some troll doll that came to life and terrorized the life out of its owner.

What made this story different, aside from the alien kid aspect, was that when the existing wooden doll touched a human, the human turned into a wooden doll as well.
      Poor Amy. But somehow, I figured she'd have to get turned back into being human again. I wasn't sure about the others, but Amy has a few more eps before she moves on to another job. So, I had high hopes for at least Amy.

Also, the overall story result was better than I expected.
      I didn't want to watch it at all, but my hubby did want to see it (actually, he had no idea what the story was about, but I had already seen the previews, and dreaded the worst).. so we watched it together.

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      ...This ep has me torn.

On the one hand, creepiest villains ever. Seriously. For the first time Doctor Who has actually left me with a slight chill down my spine...
      Yes.. creepy villians (the wooden dolls). But my first super scariest Doctor Who eppy was a Tom Baker era one, where some guy turned into a giant tree and with its *tentacle* branches killed people. It also telepathically caused other plants to turn against the humans, as well. That was basically the 2nd ep of DW I ever saw, (first one was "Ark in Space" with the WIRN, where humans turned into giant wasps), with the freaky tree story one next (out of viewing order??).

I swore back then in the early 1980's that no wonder kids were having nightmares with Tv/movie shows like that!
      I also only saw bits and pieces of those eps, so I did not know who the Doctor was, nor that the entire show was an amazing time traveling story into any direction and story type ever imagined. Beautiful Sarah Jane Smith helped set me straight on that.. along with my mom who was addicted to watching the series every week (including any reruns), too.
      Last edited by SGalisa; 05 September 2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Tick tock goes the clock
        And what now shall we play?
        Tick tock goes the clock
        Now summer’s gone away? (Missing from video)

Tick tock goes the clock
        And what then shall we see?
        Tick tock until the day
        That thou shalt marry me

Tick tock goes the clock
        And all the years they fly
        Tick tock and all too soon
        You and I must die

Tick tock goes the clock
        We laughed at fate and mourned her
        Tick tock goes the clock
        Even for the Doctor

Tick tock goes the clock
        He cradled her and he rocked her
        Tick tock goes the clock
        Even for the Doctor…

Heres a full version of the song at the end...

Comment

This was a good episode, although I wondered throughout the entire thing why it took the parents so long to get the poor kid some help. I was kind of hoping that it would turn out there was some sort of alien/psychic thing tapping into his already different brain. The sudden fears, the continuous flicking of the lights, the twitched... I was yelling at the screen that the poor kid has OCD.

But apart from that, it was quite a good ep. I too figured out quite early on that it was a dollhouse and wondered why Amy didn't. As for George having one I thought it was his mum's. I didn't get that the kid was an alien, but then I was thinking it would be something else, like I said above.

Good ep, love the song
          "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
          "what?"
          *throat punch*
          My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
          LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
            See, I always figured that the Doctor chose/built/designed the sonic screwdriver, in all its incarnations, because it couldn't possibly hurt or affect a living thing except to scan - it cannot truly be used as a weapon. Maybe that's the root of its being useless on wood, since wood is an organic, cellular substance that was once alive.

Bit tenuous, I know, but its the best theory I can come up with.
            We've seen the sonic used in a variety of ways on organics other than simply to scan; e.g. the minor heal function in Vampires of Venice, the frequency that made the beast in the Vincent episode 'happy', etc. The "anti-offensive" nature of it is a good thought, but manipulating wood doesn't have to necessarily be damaging or warping it, so in the right (or most) situation(s) it shouldn't really be considered an offensive action.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Heres a full version of the song at the end...
              That rhyme almost makes me want to bump my rating up a half point. Thanks for posting the whole thing.

I do love a good, haunting, nursery rhyme. Although "haunting nursery rhyme" that might be a bit redundant... (like Rock-a-bye-baby! seriously!).

Comment

Doctor Who continues its ability to scare the willies out of me

I had to laugh at the clowns reference when Alex was listing off the things George is afraid of (what was the Doctor's reply? "Don't blame him"? Something like that) as it was a classic Who story that made me terrified of them!
                sigpic

Comment

Not bad. Some holes, but not bad. I liked the dolls especially. Frakkin' creepy!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

@Lahela:

He said "Understandable" in a long, drawn-out way.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
                      @Lahela:

He said "Understandable" in a long, drawn-out way.
                      Thanks I haven't had time for a rewatch yet. He's right, of course!
                      sigpic

Comment

Really, really bored by this episode.

The dolls should have been creepy, but I found the whole set-up cookie-cutter Doctor Who and the chase around the house pointless. I think the problem here is that the set-up and creep factor was all in the episode teaser, so (after the wooden pan tip that they're in a dollhouse, not that it really mattered) it took forever for the characters to catch up with what we as the audience already knew. The first half of the episode was spent with the whole "creeped out by what you don't see" -- but we knew exactly what was going on, and there was no real jeopardy.

I loved Daniel Mays from Outcasts, and the ending with the boy was sweet. Otherwise, the rest was flying rubbish.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

1. Danny Mays - guess he was going to wind up in Who eventually.

2. Initially thought everything was just an alternate reality, didn't call the alien-cuckoo thing.

3. Thought it was going to be a two parter at one point - turned out to be a bit of a dodgy reset button.

4. "In the flesh" Hmmm...
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                            Really, really bored by this episode.

The dolls should have been creepy, but I found the whole set-up cookie-cutter Doctor Who and the chase around the house pointless. I think the problem here is that the set-up and creep factor was all in the episode teaser, so (after the wooden pan tip that they're in a dollhouse, not that it really mattered) it took forever for the characters to catch up with what we as the audience already knew. The first half of the episode was spent with the whole "creeped out by what you don't see" -- but we knew exactly what was going on, and there was no real jeopardy.

I loved Daniel Mays from Outcasts, and the ending with the boy was sweet. Otherwise, the rest was flying rubbish.
                            about sums up how many many people felt
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              about sums up how many many people felt
                              Speak for yourselves. It doesn't sum up how I and many many other people felt and especially the children.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Yeah, I've got to say my eleven year old particularly liked this episode. Perhaps you have to be a certain age to appreciate this one fully.

Comment

Working...
                                X