The Almost People (3206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
    I liked the episode, I liked the big twist but I found alot of contradictions. For example, The Doctor said the tardis energy made the gangers real people, why didn't it do the same for ganger Amy?
    The Tardis energy did not make them real people. It just fixed them so they could not longer go into monster looking mode with white skin when they get stress or angry or confuse. They are still synthetic flesh.

Also, the whole time in this 2 parter, The Doctor has been going on about how the gangers have a right to live, how they're people too and then he just went and killed ganger Amy.
    Perhaps because who ever got the real Amy was spying on the Doctor through the flesh Amy, and he could not figure out how to cut them off.

And the consider the next episode is about him rescuing the real Amy it was just to much of a security risk keeping her on board the Tardis.
    Last edited by knowles2; 28 May 2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Wow, what an episode. That was just great.

First off, hurrah for being right about Amy as a 'Ganger. Those last two minutes... wow. It seems to me as if Amy must have been captured in between The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon, when they were in the warehouse. Amy was already at least two months pregnant (but not much more, or she'd would be showing) at this point, and by the time they regroup at Area 51, three more months have passed. So the switch pretty much had to have been in the warehouse. And now I'm wondering if anyone else is a ganger... Like the entire Silence army. A rather unlikely scenario, but possibly plausible? Nah.

Anyway! As to the first 43 minutes of today's episode (haha), I really quite enjoyed it. Both Jennifers being Gangers was rather obvious (especially considering the blood-curdling scream we heard at the end of last week's episode), but I have to say I didn't figure out that the two Doctors switched spots. Comes from paying too much attention to Amy, I suppose. I did feel bad for Jennifer in the end (always the quiet ones...). She almost seemed schizophrenic.

I did get a kick out of the scene where the Doctor's leaning over Real!Jennifer and proclaims her dead--the actress took a deep breath right as he said it.

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      Also, the whole time in this 2 parter, The Doctor has been going on about how the gangers have a right to live, how they're people too and then he just went and killed ganger Amy.
      I knew someone was going to ask this. Ganger!Amy was not like the other flesh. Real Amy was still controlling it, so it was just a shell. The other Gangers in this episode were alive and separate from the original people because of the electrical strike.
      Last edited by Carter1994; 28 May 2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post

The Impossible Astronaut - The Doctor from almost 200 years into the future sent his 908 year old self an invitation to meet up with Amy, Rory and River in that diner.
        Interesting point made on the Gaiifreybase website

In the first episode of the impossible astronaut when the gang are at the picnic.

The doctor states he is 1103, Amy says 1103? you were 908 the last time we saw you.

After he dies, back at the dinner the doctor walks out from the back room and after River asks him to tell Amy how old he was, he says that he is 909 years old.

The last time they saw the "real" doctor his age was 908 - "the 909 doctor and the 1103 doctor could be the fakes" or the same person.

Or...the Doctor had a birthday between A Christmas Carol and The Impossible Astronaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          The Doctor Who Confidential for this episode says that Amy first appeared in the last few minutes of this episode. Since the beginning of Season 32 we've been watching a 'Ganger.
          Ooo, interesting, Ill have to watch that
          Wonder when the switch was made then?

Who else thinks we will see the Doctor uniting with some of his old enemies to fight one common enemy to them all?
          The BBC website states that
          Spoiler:
          The Cybermen, Sontarans and Sullarians are showing up and also a cast list lists Hugh Bonnevilles character
          Now my guess is that the Doctor goes across galaxies rounding up all these people to help because a synopsis I read said the Doctor is raising an army to rescue Amy and he and Rory are calling in long-held debts and solemnly given promises

But also, it says his enemies are laying a trap for him so maybe these enemies are part of this trap...

It seems these promo pictures confirm my idea that atleast the Sontarans are helping us the Doctor and Rory
          http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/a-good-man-...pics-20754.htm
          Last edited by Teddybrown; 28 May 2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Well, can't say I'm surprised at the ending. I know I've bemoaned this in another thread, but if you will allow me, I have to say that just unwitting reading the 1st sentence of the BBC description of a Good Man Goes to War kind of ruined this episode for me. I would have been ecstatic to see my theory (shared by many others) come to fruition, except that already having had it pretty much confirmed by reading "Amy is kidnapped" in A Good Man Goes to War pretty much made this a "Yes, duh, can we please get on with it?" moment. Thanks so much BBC.

I did not see the shoe-switch coming. That was quite clever, fielding Amy and the others' prejudice like that.

At the end, I have to say the Doctor could have been more tactful in how he broke it to Amy. There was no rush--he could have taken a minute to explain it to Amy gently instead of scaring her out of her mind. I'm sure someone's going to make the argument that he didn't want to give anything away to her captors, but surely there are things he could have said that wouldn't have mattered.

I hope Cleaves is happy. Thanks to her being trigger-happy with her taser thing, she got almost her entire team and their copies killed, AND the Doctor. Way to go. But Jen was going to be an unstable evil thing regardless.

Again, this episode added to the inconsistency of the Doctor's medical capabilities. He didn't save Abigail, he just sat there while Rory's heart had stopped, and yet he can mix solutions together to save everyone in New Earth, genetically alter a whole species of Dalek-Human hybrid, and spontaneously come up with an oral treatment for a blood clot after psychically diagnosing it. I really wish we'd get a little more exposition on the Doctor's medical capabilities so it didn't seem like such a writing convenience where, if the character needs to die for the plot, the Doctor can't treat them, but otherwise he can.

And, oh, the ganger!Doctor. The first 15 minutes were pure GOLD with all the interactions between the Doctor, ganger!Doctor, and Amy, and the trauma that the ganger!Doctor was experiencing. So because of that, I can't begrudge the episode in its entirety. As I wrote in the Rebel Flesh episode, however, I was dreading how the episode was going to resolve because I hate every clone/double character story that ends with the mandatory contrived killing of one of them, and sure enough... I apologize that I am being overly-ranty, but this is a pet-peeve of mine, and I am angry that the episode went there, and so soon after I had to sit through SGU's version of the same crap. One, Cleaves and ganger!Doctor could have easily both run for the TARDIS, and yet to make the scene work they had to write it such that both Doctors were resigned to it being the only solution. Two, there was no need for them both to stay at the door, that was senseless killing of at least one of them. Three, the episode did not go far enough to make his sacrifice poignant or mourn the death of the Doctor. Amy was the only thing I liked about that scene. I could tell Matt Smith was doing the best with his material, but...Gah. [/rant]. The episode gave me enough good things that I can't hate it, but I can't like it either because of this.

Originally posted by Billz View Post
            Was I the only one who didn't notice David Tennants voice during the first time watching the freakout?
            It wasn't obvious to me on first watch which Doctor it was supposed to be. I associate "Hello, I'm the Doctor" more with Nine then with Ten, so I thought it was supposed to be Nine.

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
            btw, does The Doctor have a Sonic Screwdriver manufacturing plant in his inside pocket?
            Actually there's a specific gizmo-a-bob on the TARDIS console that fabricates things and creates new sonic screwdrivers for the Doctor.
            Last edited by sparklegem; 28 May 2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one who thought the Eyepatch Lady looked a lot like River in the last couple minutes?
              sigpic

Comment

I just thought of another way to foil that 'someone needs to sacrifice to let the others get away' ending. They had the TARDIS, which has a bunch of stuff in it, right? Could they have just found some heavy objects in the TARDIS to block the door with?

And someone just pointed out an even more obvious solution: since the sonic screwdriver killed monster!Jenny before she reached Cleaves and ganger!Doctor, why didn't the real Doctor just do the same thing instead, and then he wouldn't have melted along with Jenny, and could have just walked back to the TARDIS. What the heck.
                Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                Am I the only one who thought the Eyepatch Lady looked a lot like River in the last couple minutes?
                She definitely bears a resemblance to her.

Comment

The episode was so so. Liked it when the gänger(!) doctor had the voice of Tom Baker for one short moment but the last five minutes were really the most interesting. I was satisfied that my theory regarding both the woman with the eyepatch and Amelia played out exatly how I thought. It wasn't really a surprise moment for me. More like "Aha - thought as much" moment which was equally nice.

Spoiler:
                  BTW I do not think we have EVER seen the real Amelia through the whole series. I actually think that the Amelia from "The Impossible Astronaut" was already a Gänger. Why? Because she saw the lady with the eyepatch WHILE she was in the orphanage and before we saw her being captured and even then the woman was talking to someone else and saying "No I think she is just dreaming", it was also that little window like the piece of wall in the last two parter, which means that Amy was already in that tube like chamber! It might be very well, that Amy was stolen even before the "Impossible Astronaut" and everything we have seen so far have either been dreams of an Amy who was kept in stasis or something while her child grew inside of her or she is was linked to the Gänger who had all those adventures including the one with the Silence. If that is true, then it would be a pretty fantastic twist and mind game played by Steven Moffat. Also why were Rory and Amy at home when we saw them in the first episode. The last time we have seen them , they were travelling with the doctor, so we know some time has elapsed and Amy might very well have been kidnapped in one of those adventures in between.

Just a thought.
                  Next weeks episode looks epic but it sucks that it will be again a cliffhanger and that we will have to wait half a year for the series to continue .
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegem View Post
                    Well, can't say I'm surprised at the ending. I know I've bemoaned this in another thread, but if you will allow me, I have to say that just unwitting reading the 1st sentence of the BBC description of a Good Man Goes to War kind of ruined this episode for me. I would have been ecstatic to see my theory (shared by many others) come to fruition, except that already having had it pretty much confirmed by reading "Amy is kidnapped" in A Good Man Goes to War pretty much made this a "Yes, duh, can we please get on with it?" moment. Thanks so much BBC.
                    I read the synopsis for episode 7 before this episode too.
                    Although Id contemplated Amy being a ganger, I thought she was going to be abducted this episode, even though I had my suspicions she had been taken before, I was genuinely suprised by the ending. So it wasnt really spoiled for me, it just made me wonder when shed be kidnapped and how.

Comment

Sigh. I can't see this episode until next week. Because of memorial day.

The problem with doubles though is how can one be certain that they aren't just another double?

Comment

Few plot points in the episodes that didn't quite add up to me.

Spoiler:

1) If Amy was a ganger being remotely controlled from when/wherever she is right now, why didn't she become a self-aware one like the others during the solar storm?

2) Was there just randomly a second sonic screwdriver that the doctors were tossing around? It seems like a burdensome thing to carry 2 of, given how much bigger it looks than the last.

3) If the energy from the TARDIS stabilized the to people, why could ganger amy melt away?

4) Real doctor needs to ask for new shoes, but ganger doctor finds identical outfit?
                        Last edited by Archaeis; 29 May 2011, 11:05 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Few plot points in the episodes that didn't quite add up to me.

Spoiler:

1) If Amy was a ganger being remotely controlled from when/wherever she is right now, why didn't she become a self-aware one like the others during the solar storm?

2) Was there just randomly a second sonic screwdriver that the doctors were tossing around? It seems like a burdensome thing to carry 2 of, given how much bigger it looks than the last.

3) If the energy from the TARDIS stabilized the to people, why could ganger amy melt away?
                          Spoiler:
                          1) I'm guessing ganger Amy was different since she had the same consciousness as realAmy
                          2) I was not sure. I thought there were two. If there were it's a bit odd.
                          3) It stabilised them so they don't turn freakydeaky, I'd imagine they could still be melted.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XStu5...eature=related

Comment

Time Lord pockets are bigger on the inside
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Loved this ep to bits! I guessed that Jen was a Ganger, but did not guess that the Doctors had switched until his line about not being invited to his death. Loved the callbacks to the oldies too.

My son's theory is that Amy was switched when she was with the Silence in the bathroom. I think it works... I don't watch any trailers or read any spoilers, so I'll stick with that until I see otherwise.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X