the great SPANKY icon challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the great SPANKY icon challenge!

Welcome to the great SPANKY icon challenge!

This challenge is all about making spunky SPANKY icons out of the lovely source pictures that will be fabulously provided for us on this thread each week!
    - Actually we really want more SPANKY pictures around

"What makes an icon" you say?
    Here we have Example A:

Our icons will be:
    100x100 pixels at most - so we can take them and use them not only in gateworld -
    and less than 64kb please! *shhh* But really, when it's 100x100 you most likely won't even reach 40kb
    Note: try saving your icons in .jpg or .png format. Try to avoid .gif (unless it's animated) and .bmp. You'll find that the quality is a lot better

And you know what?! Icons can also be animated! Like Example B over here
    But... uhh.. this "icon" is too big in file size (*gasp* it's really 126kb) and doesn't have to be that extravagant. Simple animated icons can have animated text and this challenge isn't necessarily going to let you make icons like Example B

As described earlier, each week will see a new picture for us to make icons from! You can make as many as you want or how ever little as you want but you have to post 3 - 10 icons for that picture. Some people get really creative and can make A LOT of icons out of one picture!
    Also, each week will see different rules come out with different pictures. For example:
    "One of your icons must be black and white" or "one of your icons can't have any text" or even "one of your icons must have ... theme."

One other thing to note is that the person who posts the picture sets the rules for the week and then chooses the next person for the following week so we get to try lots of different things! We were talking about putting a voting system into place but that's a bit too messy so green away if you see any icons you adore!

"I want to make magnificent icons but I don't have any software!" you say?
    Try to get your hands on Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro... or if you want something free - get GIMP (www.gimp.org). There are many tutorials around for these image editors and surely someone in this thread will know how to use one of them... which brings me to another point.

Totally feel free to ask "how to ..." questions! One of us here will be more than willing to help and we all want to see lots of different SPANKY icons so why wouldn't we help you out if you have a question? Also try Google-ing for tutorials and techniques to get more ideas on what to do with your icons. Remember: Google is your friend!

"Can we post individual pics of Teyla and Ronon as source pictures?"
    Sure! Why not? But make sure that the images are from the same episode at least. Same scene is most preferable because the backgrounds would be similar which would make it easier to edit.
    One example of individual pictures being used is in my signature down below. I took a shot of just Teyla and another of just Ronon from Aurora and blended the backgrounds and did some-other-fancy-things-I-now-forget and got that.

"Can we make individual icons of Teyla and Ronon?"
    Again, why not? Although it would probably be best from a shipper point of view to have it relate to SPANKY in some way Ronon and Teyla have their own picture threads, this one's for the pairing.

"Lets make a gallery out of the icons for that picture!"
    I'll be making galleries for each week's challenge. They'll be at the bottom of this post in spoiler tags

Anyway that's enough talking from me. If any other questions pop up, they'll be posted here

So folks, don't be shy! Get creative and play around with the images and your editing programs and most of all have FUN! We all can't wait to see your icons!

Week 1 challenge
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by eri-chan; 24 March 2008, 07:45 AM. Reason: week 1 gallery added

This week's pic is

I want one black and white icon and one that has some emotion word like "longing" or *smiles*, etc

have fun and good luck!

Comment

=] I just wish the picture was lil bit larger! But it's still awesome!!! XD I hope more ppl post

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

Beautiful icons as always, LadyBozi!

I hope this is right. . . I wasn't sure if the B&W one could have writing on it or not. . . If not, I can take it off. . .

I hope I did this right. . .
        My fanfic: ~fyd818 My vids: ~decatbastet SAWS: Spanky-a-Week Summer

Comment

Thanks. && Awesome job Fyd! I love the "Feel the chemistry" one!!!! XD

Comment

text is fine unless there's a rule about an icon not having writing or anything for the pic.

bozi... yeah i was trying to find a bigger pic but i got a little lazy hehe. anyway since you posted first you can choose the pic and the rules next week

the icons look great so far! i like the curiosity one and the "only math" one

Comment

I've never done an icon challenge before. Here are my contributions.

I also hope I did this right.
              sigpic

Twilight in theaters: 12.12.08

Comment

Hoping these came out okay. Will have the rest tomorrow

sigpic

Comment

these are mine

Spoiler:

Comment

Omg you guys are so amazing!!! XD I love allll of them!!!!! XD This is great! When do you want me to post the New picture? Like..on sunday??? Try this website for Screens..BIG ones at that!

Comment

awesome work beach chick, raduzhok and natasha! wow this thread is turning out really great

here's my icons for the week

and for LOLs

hmmm post the pics on sunday if it's better for you as long as the picture changes on the weekend i'm not fuss. we're spread over different time zones anyway and thanks for the site addy bozi!

Comment

Awesome job everyone!!!! =] Here is the picture I chose:

*EDIT* For RULES lol. ^_^; I was so busy looking for the pic I wanted I forgot the rules! LOL
                        Okay,
                        One has to have have the word SPANKAfied on it hahaha
                        and the second rule is that you have to have one with just Teyla in the crop but try to make it spanky.
                        Last edited by LadyBozi; 16 March 2008, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Are their any rules for the icons this time?
                          -Chicky
                          sigpic

Twilight in theaters: 12.12.08

Comment

Wow we did great for the first round! This is GREAT FUN!!!

Originally posted by ~beach chick~ View Post
                            Are their any rules for the icons this time?
                            -Chicky
                            Oh yeah! good question BC...
                            sigpic

Comment

damn. gateworld only allows 20 images in one post and i was going to make a mini-gallery in the original post. there goes that idea

yeah i think we've done great so far and we're all only going to get better! great job everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X