Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Extinction Pre-Viewing PLOT discussion, speculation and eventual spoilers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having ridden myself of shock,

Why would SGU's cancellation be a blow against the movies? I mean the progress the SGA movie had made in the past month would have taken SGU's struggling ratings into account ... and there was indeed a possibility of cancellation.

And JM's post was not too subtle....

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post

Why would SGU's cancellation be a blow against the movies? I mean the progress the SGA movie had made in the past month would have taken SGU's struggling ratings into account ... and there was indeed a possibility of cancellation.

From what we know, if it's true, Brad Wright has been the main man fighting to keep the movies alive. Had SGU gotten a season 3, he wouldn't have had to do nearly as much work as he now has to do. TPTB will most likely be focusing all of their efforts on saving SGU now. Or at least that's the way I see it. Obviously I'm not one of them, so I can't know for sure There could be a lot more to it, we don't know all the behind the scenes workings, and can't unless someone tells us.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
        Uhm... what?

"I’m sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the SGA movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely."

I'm not quite sure how you define bitterness. If you want an actual example of bitterness relating to a TV show, I suggest you check that 'forum that shall not be named'. The SGA movie was written by Joe after all, many seem to forget that, I'm not sure why people are so sure he doesn't want to see his work brought to fruition.

It is a shame. I've found the behavior of some sections of fandom over the past couple of years quite annoying and embarrassing, but I'd still have liked to have seen all 3 incarnations continued. Perhaps if that positive progress is made with SGU as soon as next week and they do get it sorted quickly, they can get some focus back on the movies too.
        Okay maybe the way I read it there was a bit bitterness.. and maybe bitterness was the wrong word.. but it did sort of seem like there should have been a "So there!" at the end.

And I don't see why they would have to shelve it indefinitely.. it might have put a bump in the road..because right now they are focusing on saving SGU ( which I am all for!!! points to siggy vvv) but it could still be made! He could have said efforts on getting the SGA movie made have shelved for now while we focus on what we are going to do about SGU.. but he chose to say indefinitely..IMO that comment felt like a jab.. saying well you SGA fans didn't want to watch SGU so we're not making your movie...

I am a fan of SGU (points to siggy vvv again) and not one of those haters because SGA was cancelled for SGU.. and I haven't even read anything on the supposed comments they made on SGA fans but that comment had an air of to it IMO..
        Last edited by Sapphire_Jade; 25 December 2010, 06:54 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
          Unfortunately, the film will not be produced and has been shelved indefinitely. Here is the quote which states this, from producer, Joseph Mallozzi on today's entry in his blog.

If the SGA movie is a go, would you still be involved as the writer and/or producer?”

Answer: I’m sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the SGA movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely
          link-http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/12/25/december-25-2010-christmas-marty-g-and-the-return-of-the-mailbag/
          As if we didn't already suspect this to be the case...

However, I should not be phased by this, and yet I am... makes me wish all the more Atlantis had gotten better management. It had so much potential... sadly.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

They don't like SGA and classic Stargate in general. They think it's beneath them. I'm surprised the franchise lasted for so many years with haters like Mallozzi in key positions.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
              They don't like SGA and classic Stargate in general. They think it's beneath them. I'm surprised the franchise lasted for so many years with haters like Mallozzi in key positions.
              people change. Things you liked several years ago might not be the same you like now. That's what happend to me with SG. I loved SG-1 but now, I liked more mature shows like BSG, SGU or Fringe
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                people change. Things you liked several years ago might not be the same you like now. That's what happend to me with SG. I loved SG-1 but now, I liked more mature shows like BSG, SGU or Fringe
                The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the PTW
                sigpic

Comment

That's the thing. SGU is the least mature of the 3 shows. I haven't seen the new BSG, but it's on my list of things to watch. Fringe is great, and DS9 is terrific too.

People do change, and that's why SG-1 and SGA need new PTB to handle them (SGA for sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                    That's the thing. SGU is the least mature of the 3 shows. I haven't seen the new BSG, but it's on my list of things to watch. Fringe is great, and DS9 is terrific too.

People do change, and that's why SG-1 and SGA need new PTB to handle them (SGA for sure).
                    least? how do you mean that?
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

The simplest and shortest way to put it would be the way that issues are dealt with (and even what some of the issues are)...

Comment

I see, obviously we both have different explanations of what "a mature/older show" is
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Apparently.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                            We will see. I do not trust Mallozzi anymore, sorry.
                            Maybe I'm too positive but I will not give up. Brian sounded to excited and I still have this statement from JF in my mind about he will save the universe as Sheppard again. Maybe the talking wasn't about Extinction but about this idea JF came up after he returned from Ireland? Maybe SyFys runners are more intelligent then JM, BW and RCC thought and remember all the insulting. Who knows? I think we will learn about it in 2011 ...
                            I don't trust JM either, especially with anything related to SGA. As he proved with his Dragon-Con lie, he's not above taking digs at SGA fans - even if his lies bite him in the ass later. If there is an SGA movie, it's my fervent hope that he has absolutely nothing to do with it. And, that includes having his script re-written.

No, his post was not too subtle, was it? It's amazing how he and BW keep burning their bridges with SGA fans. And, what is this progress on the SGA movie that he's talking about? I don't remember reading that any of them was actively fighting for SGA. What I do remember is him reporting (a few months ago) that BW was fighting hard for the SG-1 movie and when SGA fans asked why no one was fighting for the SGA movie too-he didn't have much to say.

The first time I remember hearing anything about SGA was recently when BW seemed to finally acknowledge how much trouble SGU was in and then attempted to use the mention of the SGA movie as a carrot to lure in SGA fans.

As for SGU's failure ruining chances for an SGA movie, IMO, if SGU had been a success, it also wouldn't have help move this movie along because the Boys at Bridge don't care about the show. IMO, the only hope we have of an SGA movie is if MGM takes control and insist on it - with new writers, I hope.

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                            That amazes me too, but it doesn't surprise me because I spent most of Season 5 in the Anti-Season 5 thread for a reason - the writing sucked. It was like they had gotten so used to writing for themselves (yes, JM admitted that they write what they like above all else) that they forgot that they were also supposed to be writing a show that appealed to an audience beyond their little writing clique.

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post

I agree. Despite BW & Co's claims otherwise, I never saw SGU as more mature because it appears to have been written by children who don't quite understand how "dark, gritty" adults behave, so the best they could do is mimic what they believe is mature, adult behavior. At times it was embarrassing, and sad, to watch.

I thought they did a much better job with incorporating maturity into SGA and SG1 because although the theme of each show was lighter overall, the SGA/SG1 characters were more adult, more mature than the SGU characters. And, even in terms of darkness, I find SGA/SG1 more interesting because the darkness displayed in those shows didn't feel forced.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                              I just read that IF there is a movies Sheppard/Flanigan won't be in it......is this true?

I know I won't watch if Sheppard ain't in it!
                              Where did you read it?

Originally posted by smart View Post
                              Unfortunately, the film will not be produced and has been shelved indefinitely. Here is the quote which states this,
                              He doesn't say the film will not be produced, he says it's been shelved indefinitely, which is the same status the movie was in a year ago. In other words it hasn't been binned, progress has just stopped.

The strength of the brand is a huge factor in securing investment for a project like that, suffice to say the cancellation is a massive blow to the franchise as a whole, not just the movie's chances.

Not if you invent your own subtext, no.

While the claims of SG-1 and SGA being more mature than SGU offer some comic value, the borderline libellous claims about the producers are getting a bit tedious. If you don't like their writing that's fine, but these petty little vendettas are pathetic.
                              Last edited by KEK; 26 December 2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                He doesn't say the film will not be produced, he says it's been shelved indefinitely, which is the same status the movie was in a year ago. In other words it hasn't been binned, progress has just stopped.
                                Nothing new then...
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X