Fugitive of the Judoon (3805 / 1205)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fugitive of the Judoon (3805 / 1205)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 38 (12)
    FUGITIVE OF THE JUDOON
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3805 / 1205
    The Judoon erect a security perimeter around Earth while they hunt for a fugitive -- leading the Doctor to a seemingly ordinary couple who harbor an unimaginable secret. Meanwhile, the Doctor's companions have a close encounter with one of her old friends.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 February 2020, 09:54 PM.

Well, that was unexpected... Captain Jack Harkness (they kept that quiet), multiple Doctors, what the hells going on??

This season is bouncing back, had me gripped!

Comment

Every now and then an episode has everything I need.
      sigpic

Comment

I do get so confused. The universe has been reset multiple times has it not?

TBH not a fan of a 2nd Doctor ... found River Song or Arya Stark more intriguing.
        Last edited by GodAtum; 26 January 2020, 12:21 PM.
        "You don't know half of it".
        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

I'm intrigued, though I'm betting that this other Doctor isn't the Doctor at all but another Timelord... otherwise this makes no sense at all
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I have a theory that the other "doctor" is a clone from a previous incarnation and forced to regenerate into her current form... it would explain why both doctors couldn't remember being the other

but im really not sure how to feel about this..... especially introducing an incarnation of the doctor a la the war doctor route but neither of them could remember being the other

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
              I have a theory that the other "doctor" is a clone from a previous incarnation and forced to regenerate into her current form... it would explain why both doctors couldn't remember being the other

but im really not sure how to feel about this..... especially introducing an incarnation of the doctor a la the war doctor route but neither of them could remember being the other
              The other Doc doesnt even know the Sonic Screwdriver. Something is seriously wrong here and who wants to bet that Jack Harkness is gonna pick up the wrong Doctor. This is going to be a mess, hopefully a good one.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Amazing episode if nothing else because of the return of Captain Jack. Major props to the Doctor Who cast and crew for being able to keep that a secret until it aired. River would approve.

Interesting article about how Barrowman camouflaged his visit to Cardiff to film the episode:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...on-doctor-who/

Comment

the only doctor who didn't know about the sonic screwdriver was the first doctor if im right... or was that the sonic sunglasses?

Comment

I liked the return of Capt. Jack, but I didn't like the vibe from him, saying he might not be back for a while.

The 2nd Doctor's TARDIS was very much old school, taking it's design from the Peter Davidson era or maybe earlier. The show wasn't broadcast in this area at that time, so I don't know much about the era, but she might have come from that era somehow.

Overall, a good episode.
                    And I'm glad they dropped the preachy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      I liked the return of Capt. Jack, but I didn't like the vibe from him, saying he might not be back for a while.

The 2nd Doctor's TARDIS was very much old school, taking it's design from the Peter Davidson era or maybe earlier. The show wasn't broadcast in this area at that time, so I don't know much about the era, but she might have come from that era somehow.

Overall, a good episode.
                      And I'm glad they dropped the preachy crap.
                      it looked first doctor era... the console especially due to it being a reuse of the prop from adventures in time and space and twice upon a time

Comment

Only problem with this Doctor being pre-show is that we have seen every Regeneration by now, there are no spaces anymore where this Doctor fits in. In my opinion she has to be from the Future or maybe even another Dimension.
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

or shes a clone of the first doctor somehow..... if she works with the time lords... they did control the second doctors regeneration into the third.... and they do have access to the doctors biodata

Comment

Wow... So... Crap... ?

This episode should have been a 10/10. Return of Capt Jack - Woot! Judoon given some character development for basically the first time (although not a fan of the CGI) - no complains! A TARDIS unearthed in a grave! Amazing! And - a new Doctor...!?

But! BUT!

What really happened?

Capt Jack - He's just there to conveniently remove the over-crowded companion equation, and deliver some forewarning for the finale. He doesn't even get to see the Doctor, which is what we were all waiting for. If he does not return later on to give us that closure - it really will have been a complete waste of his talent and appeal, because his involvement has no relationship to the actual plot of this episode.

The Judoon - wont fault them or their use here. There was some building on what we know of them, some of the same. The original animatronics I think were less "take you out of reality" than the CGI used this time... but I'm sure my kids would all disagree with me.

Going back to the plot - ultimately it's just so thin. That's not really a huge problem, provided once you get the big reveal, you then push forward with some kind of story twist/development/etc. Ok - a new Doctor - COOL - and she's being hunted by a Gallifreyan crime syndicate or something? Gimme an episode with this new Doctor, dealing with that situation! Yep, great. Oh - wait - instead we'll just finish this off asap without much explanation?

I have to say, the actress who played Ruth/unknown-Doctor - I just feel didn't had enough gravitas to carry the role. She was great as Ruth, but the Doctor? She has as much presence as Whitaker... (oops, letting my bias out; get back down there.) I mean - they had Lenny Henry guest staring earlier this season - I'd rather have seen that money go toward a better grade African female actress for this character.

Compare this to Utopia. There, we'd had the concept of hiding a Time Lord established earlier in the season. We'd had the "YANA" foreshadowing also at the start of the season. We then have the Doctor and Prof Yana working toward a goal, which they achieve, and then - Martha and the watch... the Doctor's panic... the music building and tapping and - HOLY ****ING **** - IT'S THE MASTER!!!

In comparison... this has far too much of the Doctor doing her best "I'm really not buying this story you're telling me, but hey, you two better really actually be honest with me this time!" routine a few times... a car ride... (seriously...) a grave - with a great surprise - and then this new Doc... and quickly wrap the story up asap before anyone asks too many questions.

I didn't like it. Wanted to... couldn't.

FYI of approx 2,000 fans over on Gallifrey One who have voted, more than 80% vote this story an 8, 9 or 10 out of 10. So - I accept that I am in the minority on this.
                            Last edited by cosmichobo; 28 January 2020, 04:40 AM.
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              The Judoon - wont fault them or their use here. There was some building on what we know of them, some of the same. The original animatronics I think were less "take you out of reality" than the CGI used this time... but I'm sure my kids would all disagree with me.
                              I have absolutely no idea what gave you the idea that the Judoon were CGI because they weren't.

They were fully dressed, rhino-head included, stunt-guys. And according to one of them, marching around on a very hot day so it was very uncomfortable being a member of Judoon platoon.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X