• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Tombs (316)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON THREE
    WELCOME TO THE TOMBS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 316
    The Governor unleashes his attack on the prison, only to discover that Rick and the others are not there. In Woodbury, Andrea finds herself locked up with a dangerous foe.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 05 April 2013, 01:19 PM.

First off, Wow! I would have never thought there is a Series today who can leave it without a Cliffhanger. Until the very last second I was like "where is the turnaround?".

I loved it all and how the Gov went Ballistic was very well made too. So he quit the Town as it seems. Just wondering how many People of the Town came with them in the end. Somehow I hope a Bus just doesnt hold that much.

Good to see that they could keep the Prison. Its the safest place they could find at the moment. I wonder if those Deads are going to starve to megadeath at some point.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Interesting finale, I don't think it was what most people were expecting. The episode was still good though. It is clear they are taking a totally different route than the comics, which is great because you don't know what to expect anymore.

Spoiler:
      For those reading the comics you know Andrea is one of the few original characters who is still alive and most of the characters who made it through this finale are not :O

I did not expect them to keep the Governor's character alive. I guess they really liked David Morrissey's performance and felt the character needed more screen time.

I was one of those people expecting a lot more of the epic factor (main characters getting killed off), but I can't say I'm disappointed with how they chose to end the season.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
        First off, Wow! I would have never thought there is a Series today who can leave it without a Cliffhanger. Until the very last second I was like "where is the turnaround?".
        True enough. I was also waiting for *something* at the end, perhaps a glimpse of the Gov or some other outside threat observing the goings on.

I guess we'll have to make do with knowing that the Gov is still out there, and that Carl is going to need an intervention with regard to his killing ways.

It is interesting to see how Carl has evolved vs. a character like Tyreese who reflects the moral compass of most of the group as they were back in the first season ("We don't kill the living" from the episode, "Wildfire").

I loved it all and how the Gov went Ballistic was very well made too. So he quit the Town as it seems. Just wondering how many People of the Town came with them in the end. Somehow I hope a Bus just doesnt hold that much.
        If I recall correctly from previous episodes, the Gov was being pretty strict with regard to who was or wasn't coming along ("I Ain't a Judas"). I suspect that most of the people coming in from Woodbury are either very old or very young or have significant infirmities which made them unable to serve in the Woodbury militia. Hopefully, they all brought along a bunch of extra food and supplies as the prison cafeteria's storeroom only holds so much. I suppose they can make additional runs back to town over the next few weeks.

A big part of next season could revolve around "resentment", Carl towards the people from Woodbury, and the people from Woodbury's feelings towards the group who were, until recently, seen as enemies.

Good to see that they could keep the Prison. Its the safest place they could find at the moment. I wonder if those Deads are going to starve to megadeath at some point.
        It does make sense to remain in the prison, at least for now. The boundaries are easier to control than at Woodbury, and the Gov is familiar with that ground so it would be easier for him to infiltrate there. Hopefully the group can now get back to "clearing the land" so they can get a crop down in those fields surrounding the prison.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Enjoyed it for the most part but am really disappointed that they chose to kill Andrea.

I get they are pretty much breaking with the comics to add in unpredictability. I think it's worked for the most part so far, but I don't like this choice to kill her for the shock factor. It was unneeded, and honestly I don't like how they did it. Andrea is a strong character in the comics. Not that I always liked how they wrote her on the show, but she still had more to contribute to it.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

I did enjoy this episode, not what I expected but still a great episode. I think Carl is what the world has made him, I can't imagine growing up in a world like that. A lot of what he said to Rick really did make sense, and he is still just a kid. It did break my heart to see him drop Ricks badge on the ground. Hopefully with the new group joining he can see some of the better parts of humanity.

Andrea's exit was a tear jerker for me. I've had a hard time with her character this season, but the last few episodes I was starting to enjoy her again. They really had significantly changed her character from the comics. They have made many character changes, personality wise as well as who lives or dies, keeps us guessing and never predictable!

The Governor taking out most of his own crew.....wow. Next season will be interesting for sure.

Comment

Still tingling from watching this ep... (which was literally just - now) (And... still a tear in the eye, too)

The opener literally gave me shivers as the Governor decreed that "In this life, you kill or you die … or you die and you kill." Very much a reminder of what was done to Glen earlier, and yet left me saying out loud - I don't know what's going to happen, and I love it.

When the Govnor arrived at the prison and they blasted everything up, I seriously thought they must have left... but perhaps with a booby trap waiting for them. It was quite a blast (literally!) when I realised they were in fact defending their home.

Seeing Carl shoot the lad... I could see it coming, but it was still a shock, and very much a "Aha" moment for next year's story lines... It's kind of a shame, given how he has grown in this season from the almost "wimpy kid" of S1-2, to now see that he is going "too far"... And yet - what he did could so easily be justified in the world in which he lives. (Not saying it was "right", and I'd hope I'd maintain my moral justice in a similar situation, but damn it's such a harsh world...)

(Actually - the reality-set that they are living in, whilst very fantasy/scifi in origin, keeps harking me back to our real history. Times when you shoot first, ask questions later. When boundaries and resources were fought over to the death, with harsh retaliations, dastardly plots and blood thirsty deals... And ultimately it really is the winner who writes the history books... I think it was Hershel and Milton who talked of history at one point... Needing to keep track of... document it... And... someone earlier talking of how history would remember this "plague"... Other plagues throughout the centuries have wiped out millions of people... Ok, they didn't turn you into a flesh eating zombie, but survival after such plagues must have been fraught with some similar issues regarding interaction with other survivors... But I digress)

When the Governor turned his gun on his own army... It was just chilling... Seeing him finally reach breaking point... at the cost of his own people - not just one or two, but basically all his fighters... And seeing his last 2 men getting in the truck with him... I was just waiting for 2 more shots to ring out. I expected him to actually return to Woodbury, and spin more lies, but obviously not - and - well it will be very interesting to see where his story goes now.

After hearing about the comic, I was expecting the woman who the Governor missed to be the one to kill him... Perhaps that will come later...

For the record, as I gather the series has now diverged pretty heavily from the comic, I'm guessing we wont see him for the first half of S4... In fact... I could see him not coming back in the immediate future at all... Just keeping that minor level of suspense -

Suspense! After seeing Axel take a bullet in the head, any time the gang were out in the yard of the prison, I've been expecting a sudden unexpected bullet to take one of them out! That's what I guess I was expecting to be the surprise ending to this season... but no... (And I'm glad it wasn't)

Talking of the ending... I think we can perhaps now say we've seen the last of Rick's phantoms... At least, that was my interpretation of the shot of Rick looking up at the walkway and - not seeing Lori - after seeing her there earlier. At least - I really hope it is, as I think if they continue that plot, it'll really grow tiring. Rick's got to step back up now and wear that badge, literally playing sheriff between the two groups... As I can certainly see Carl getting trigger happy again...

Like most, this episode really surprised me. I expected a big show down, and quite cleverly the writers didn't give it to us. We expected a big bad ending for the big bad Governor, and instead he drove off into the sunset, albeit basically a destroyed man.

Oh, and Andrea... Have to say I was surprised when the tears welt up for her... Though also as above, I think over the past few episodes she had really redeemed herself... I was sad to see Milton die... Quite enjoyed his character, and without being under a despot, I think he'd have been a great addition to the gang... His turning was all the more bitter for his earlier experiments into the process... If anyone should have had a chance at retaining some essence of himself after the change, it should have been him... But no... he chomped Andrea, in a scene we could only hear playing out through a closed door... leaving us guessing...

After the scene last episode with Daryl finding Merle too late... and as sad as it was to see him have to then kill his brother... it was sadder still witnessing Andrea's farewell. (That is to say - they wrote it well to draw out the viewer's emotions.)

The worst part of the episode... Was the fact that it means we have to wait til October for more.

Next season... Predictions/desires... Carl's descent into nasty-pasty-ness... Rick's attempts to blend the two groups, shore up the prison's defences, begin foraging and truly making themselves self sufficient... At least 3 strong characters from Woodbury to get to know... More development of the farmer's singing daughter...

Strewth, nearly 1000 words... I need to get a job where I get paid for this stuff. :}
              (Then I'd collect my thoughts a little better too)
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

The thing with Carl is a sticky conundrum.

On one hand, they told the kid to drop his gun (a shotgun, I believe) and instead he walked towards them, only holding it in one hand, and telling them to take it. He did not listen to them at all. He just kept walking towards them. I can see where Carl was coming from...The dude could have easily shot both Carl and Hershel before they even knew what happened. He had a chance...Carl could have easily dropped him without a warning, but instead he gave the dude a chance, and he blew it.

On the other hand, the kid was clearly scared and not thinking straight. Carl could have wounded him, or could have trusted him to actually hand his shotgun over. The kid had run, not to retreat, but seemed to just run to get away in general. I doubt he had any malice towards the group...just doing what the governor told him to do. Just like most of the other people, people, who, by the way, were essentially let go by Maggie and Glenn...They were clearly not firing to kill, otherwise it truly would have been a massacre (not that it mattered).

In any case, I have to side with Carl to a degree. He could not afford to trust the kid after he did not follow Carl's command. But Carl's coldness about it still bothers me...He killed a kid not much older than him, and no emotion at all.

I wonder, perhaps, if that was a throwback to the episode with Morgan. Carl shot him (but Morgan of course had a vest on) and afterwards he apologized to Morgan, and Morgan said "Never be sorry". Perhaps that was on Carl's mind when he shot the kid...
                sigpic

Comment

Since I am heavy into the comic side of The Walking Dead, there is no way I saw Andrea being killed off coming. A very big surprise. Even my wife, who didn't like Andrea very much on the show at times, got emotional in her final scene.

This was such a great finale. I really hope that Season 4 can continue the excellent story-telling of this season. It will be very interesting to see how the Governor comes back next season. I wonder if he will team up with some other crazies he finds on the road?
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

At the beginning of the season, there was talk about whether 1 season would cover enough of the Woobury/Prison story as established in the comics. Although it seems the tv series has taken a different fork in the road, did the season cover much of what you'd hoped for, or is there still plenty to come?

I can see a desire from both sides to hunt the Governor down and bring him to justice, though I think Rick would see that off as a waste of resources...

I'm still curious about the violent group that they encountered near the farm... Perhaps the Gov could take up with them.

Regarding Carl... I was saying to the tv - put the gun down put the gun down... Then OMG he shot him! Yes, there was an element of - well he wasn't doing what he was told, so he gets a bullet... but also yes, that bullet didn't need to be thru the head... I think they handled it really well for the obvious storyline they are building...
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    and lots more!

Comment

I'm sort of curious to see the new people in the group for season 4, we have already met a couple of them but i liked the way how they were whisked away and only briefly shown

As for Andrea i really didn't like her much during the show, except maybe in s1, then not much after that, but i gotta admit i thought it was sad what happened to her, and also very shocked because i was expecting something like s2 finale where her character's fate was left up in the air

I think Rick is beginning to see how his current ways are affecting Carl, and could potentially affect Judith (when she gets older ofcourse), i suspect that is why he re-evaluated his stance on welcoming in newcomers
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

WOW what an awesome finale.

Just my two cents....

I figured the Governor would be around next season. There was too much momentum there to try and sum all that up...and I will say I thought there would be more of a show down between him and Rick so that was a tad anti climactic....but unexpected....and this show does keep you guessing. I was actually hoping that Andrea would be able to exact her revenge on him.....hoping that if she did have to die....that she could've turned all zombie on his arse....but alas...she did have a poignant goodbye and went out a hero.

I must say I didn't really get all that upset over Andrea's death. I felt her arc had gone full circle and there wasn't much else she could do there. Especially in her disappointment with her failed relationship with the Governor. Andrea's character sort of grated on my nerves a bit. I guess I felt about her like many people felt about the Lori character. To me Andrea was weak and relied on other people until she absolutely had to be self sufficient. But there at the end she did muscle up her own courage to stand on her own two feet and went out strong so I was glad to see that.

About Milton... I really was beginning to like that character alot and I was sad to see him go Again I'm more upset that neither of these characters will get to see the Gov die or be the one to end it....I would predict that it will be Michonne who gets to do that honor.

About Carl. Yeah I was more upset at how Carl talked to Rick and just dismissed him like he was all of a sudden the adult in that relationship than I was his shooting the "kid". We have to remember the time when Rick and co. took the one punk kid they found from that one group (the gang group where the one kid got his leg broken). I mean they just left that guy to die out with the walkers :O I mean that is no better IMO. Rick has ALWAYS been very protected of his group to the point he was never really game on taking on new members into the group ...because mainly due to the limited resources and then worried others would come and over run their group. I just think Carl is a product of what he's seen in Rick really. But I do feel that we are in for a very nasty dark streak in Carl ....one that will prove to torment Rick.

Daryl -- I never got to mention how horrible I felt for Daryl when he had to kill Merle I was amazed they actually redeemed Merle enough that I cried on that scene I think as a result we'll see a little bit different Daryl in s4.

Overall I loved it and can't wait to see how this all plays out with the two groups coming together. S4 can't come soon enough. *sigh*
                        Originally posted by jelgate
                        This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Indeed, I was thinking - I can't believe this is all going to end tonight... And then the Governor got away... to continue the fight another day, no doubt... So it felt good... Though confusing! So many questions!
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post

I must say I didn't really get all that upset over Andrea's death. I felt her arc had gone full circle and there wasn't much else she could do there. Especially in her disappointment with her failed relationship with the Governor. Andrea's character sort of grated on my nerves a bit. I guess I felt about her like many people felt about the Lori character. To me Andrea was weak and relied on other people until she absolutely had to be self sufficient. But there at the end she did muscle up her own courage to stand on her own two feet and went out strong so I was glad to see that.
                            I didn't feel she was that weak in the show, but she wasn't as strong as they wrote her in the comics, imo. Where as Lori on the show was pretty much Lori from the comics, and I didn't particularly like either version. I like Andrea in the comics, but not always how they wrote her on the show. She could grate on my nerves as well. At times I wanted to slap some sense into her this season, but I get why she wouldn't leave with Michonne.

Them setting up what she did for this season was fine, but still don't see why they had to kill her other than for the fact they just wanted to kill someone. She never would have gotten herself free from two sets of handcuffs with just a regular pair of pliers. That was such bull to begin with. I was thinking maybe Tyreese was going to find her and save her. If she had the strength to break the chain on those cuffs, she sure had the strength to fight off Milton....
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

I thought Tyreese would burst in at the last moment too!
                              As for the episode, wasnt what I was expecting, like most I was expecting a gun totting, high casualty finale, with the ending a cliffhanger...
                              But what we got was just as good!
                              Glad to see this wont be the last we have seen of the Governor, but cant believe his two henchmen just stood there and let him gun down those people!
                              Its a shame about Andrea, I quite enjoyed her character but she did annoy me at times. Not being a reader of the comics, I wasnt sure whether she would survive or not, but I was swaying on the side of her surviving, till they burst in...
                              Happy to see Tyreese and Sasha come to the prison with some people, but Im also saddened that Milton didnt make it, even though I thought he wouldnt.
                              Interested to see where Carl will go next, as he seems to be taking a dark turn, although I do slightly agree that the kid could have been a threat... but suprised Carl didnt just injure him...
                              Would have liked a bit more fighting between the groups, but you cant get everything, and Im happy with what we got in the end.

Very good season, and looking forward to season 4!

Comment

Working...
                              X