Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if Universe could have ever topped SG-1 for me. However, it could have definitely come close. It was definitely well on its way.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Thank you also. With the way the story began and developed, I knew with certainty that this would become the best of the three series--if only it were permitted to reach full bloom...

I'm terribly dismayed by the short-sightedness of the impatient viewers who wouldn't give this series the chance it deserved and by the network's decision cut this fantastic show before those impatient viewers realized what they had and ultimately came on board.

That said, now on with the dumbing down of America. We'll never see the likes of this series again.

Comment

Originally posted by wornways View Post
        Thank you also. With the way the story began and developed, I knew with certainty that this would become the best of the three series--if only it were permitted to reach full bloom...

I'm terribly dismayed by the short-sightedness of the impatient viewers who wouldn't give this series the chance it deserved and by the network's decision cut this fantastic show before those impatient viewers realized what they had and ultimately came on board.

That said, now on with the dumbing down of America. We'll never see the likes of this series again.
        Try dumbing down of the world
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Try dumbing down of the world
          It is a shame, but I can't argue that.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by wornways View Post

I too, think it's a shame this series was not allowed to run it's full course & reach the potential it showed so early on. This series was done differently to SG-1 & SGA (it was stated so time & time again from the word to unto the cancellation & back again! ) & I think the short-sightedness & impatientness of viewer contributed the death of both the show itself & the franchise as a whole. As stated by Mitchell in 200, sci-fi viewers are actually deep thinkers & by pandering to them, you not only do a diservice to your audience, you insult all those involved in the creation of the show & the rest of fandom as a whole.

The fact that we weren't given all the answers, every problem was immediately fixed & our characters werent always the heros & had flaws made for more realistic viewing & IMHO, made us think & showed us that TPTB not only thought he could handle a more mature, darker & realistic tone to the show/franchise, but that we could also think & draw our own conclusions instead of treating us like idiots & children needing costant reassurance & the answers to everything all the time. The fact that an unfortunate portion of fandom couldnt see past their hatred, vitrol & embrace change is deeply saddening & incredibly frustrating. Change happens, nothing is stagnant & it is far easier to move with the times than resist them & risk getting left behind.

As a show, the visual were stunning (Destiny is beautiful ship & the scene of the Blueberry alien in Young's body is IMHO one of the best pieces of CGI I have ever seen in a T.V. series or movie anywhere), the storylines were both overt & subtle & took a while to develop (just like real life) & the gradual adding of layer upon layer of storylines, adding to character development & the mythos of the show, were to me, perfect.

RIP SGU, you never got to find your wings & reach your full potential. You will be sorely missed. RIP the STARGATE franchise, I can't imagine life without you. Thankyou to all the cast, crew, & all those involved in the franchise from it's inception, it's various incarnations & beyond. You gave us 15 wonderful years, may you some day give us another 15 years of many more happy memories.

Comment

Have to say as a Lifelong SG fan I saw this as easily becoming my favorite of all the franchise

Its a re-imagining, a brilliant re-imagining and I am really angry, sad that what was currently the best Sci-fi show on TV currently with the potential to be one of the best ever was cut off just as it showed promise.

Gutted

Comment

I'm not sure if I'll ever like it more than SG-1 either, but it's already surpassed Atlantis for me.

Comment

What follows is a super geeky attempt at closure for SGU, but its actually scientifically accurate. Epilogue (S02E18)
                  Spoiler:
                  was the series finale. We have already seen our Rush die, our Destiny Explode, and our characters live out there lives. Some of you may be thinking that I mean this in some symbolic sense. That Epilogue allowed us to have a glimpse of possibility and a feeling of conclusion. No, i don't mean that at all. I mean scientifically speaking, the people we watched grow old and die on Novus were the people we had grown to love.

When Destiny attempted to dial earth within a star, the wormhole created sent the team back in time. Rush was only sent back a brief amount, but the rest of the team was sent back thousands of years. The people that were sent back in time, were the people that we had been watching every week. They were the Destiny crew from the original timeline. When they went back in time, they created an alternate timeline that was now influenced by their actions. The crew on Novus was able to create a society, and Rush was able to warn the new alternate timeline's Destiny crew on how to avert disaster. The crew that was warned by Rush, the crew that we have been watching since that point, is not the crew that we started with. The crew that we met and followed from the beginning grew old and died on Novus. Thats just the facts really. Therefore, we had our conclusion, we had our series finale.

PS: If they reboot this franchise, I'm gonna go nuts. No series has ever developed and stuck with such a complex and rich mythology. Take Star Trek for example. Sure there are a ton of facts about random cultures and wars and events, but rarely does it effect the story. Nothing builds on anything else, **** just happens as they buzz around. Here we actually got to see technological shifts of our own culture, galactic political realignment, characters actually grow and develop personalities based on their experiences…and each time the writers stuck with the continuity and built on it. If you removed any major event in the Stargate franchise mythology, everything topples above it. You take away one alien race encounter, and suddenly humans don't have FTL, don't have Atlantis, don't have communication stones, etc. To have to start over fighting in the sand on Abydos will be too painful.

Comment

At this point, petitions won't work. Then how about money? Maybe if we set up a donation drive, and then hand the producers a fat check. Would that do it? The reality of our favorite television show - and most likely the entire franchise - ending is hard to bear. But I feel so helpless.

Comment

The only hope for a continuation now is novels or comics. So buying the "Air" novelization and the DVDs, and maybe sending a written letter saying you'd support novels would be the best thing to do. There are too many legal reasons fan donations wouldn't work, besides the producers have all moved on now.

Comment

Stargate universe has depth to it. I keep thinking back and comparing it to Star Trek Voyager. I used to watch that show a lot, I like it in its simplicity and often at times nonsensical approach because at the end of the day, it's still sci-fi. That was then...

Now.. it's nothing, I repeat, NOTHING compared to SGU. SGU has continuity. Not just in the show itself, but the entire franchise. Everything is connected with past events in the entire arc of every single episode ever made. That is good science fiction. That is PERFECT science fiction. Every action, every event has a lasting effect that is carried onward and made applicable in other episodes. I can't tell you enough how much I love this.

Also, the reason the ratings are low is not because the show is not popular, it's because it's science fiction at its peak. The people interested in this show are waiting to be able to watch it online on hulu or netflix.

I have seen a few episodes on tv at my friends place, but I can't really follow it like that. No. Waiting for at least a full season to be online, and then watching it back to back in perfect sequential order.. that's how you watch a show like this.

You know what syfy should do? Air the episodes online, but with ads. The exact same way as its done on TV, only you watch it with your computer. Why not? I don't understand why more companies aren't doing this. They still get paid because there are still ads, so come on. TV and cable is so antiquated it makes me sad to hear those words now. This is the digital interconnected technology age, not the boob tube era.

Comment

Unlike some of you, I "jumped" into SG barely watching Stargate at first, got mildly piqued during Atlantis, then got my full attention during Universe. For me, I loved the story about the journey and learning to deal with adversity along the way together. The open ended question of "will they ever get back home or will start a new life altogether?" kept me glued each week. I will truly miss this show, the second season was fantastic. It saddens me it will not show its full potential, I really cared about these characters, which is not very often for me.

Comment

Thanks SGU. It took me a bit to warm up to this this very different SG, but eventually I grew to enjoy it greatly. You will be missed.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm only about 5 months slow on the uptake--I only just noticed this thread

In any case....
                              Brad, Rob, and everyone else involved in SGU at every level from writer to cast to production to floor-sweeper: thank you, thank you, thank you. This was a brilliant show from its very first episode, and I'm sad to see it end. Thank you so much for providing me with 40 wonderful episodes that I can watch over and over and over.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm sure I'll be too busy crying buckets later, and since words really can't describe how I'm feeling... I'll just post it here and get it over with. Please don't snurch without crediting.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X