This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
    Huh?!? Same people mate - different name but same people.
    If they are different then they are not the same, AREN'T THEY?

Its like saying the Vatican and the IRA are the same because they are both of christian faith and are guided by a religious agenda.

Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
      If they are different then they are not the same, AREN'T THEY?
      That's right - they're not same. People call Native American's American Indian's all the time... so they're different race of people because they are called, or call themselves different names?

As that's the only difference between the Ancients and the Ori, name and place. Race and everything else - the same.
      Last edited by Deevil; 19 February 2010, 01:35 AM.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        That's right - they're not same. People call Native American's American Indian's all the time... so they're different race of people because they are called, or call themselves different names?

As that's the only difference between the Ancients and the Ori, name and place. Race and everything else - the same.
        Can you even talk about race when they are incorporeal energy beings?

Also way to oversimplify it, I know for a fact that TPTB while creating the Ori wanted a counterweight to the Ancients (lets keep Lantians and Ancients separate ok?) and they went for the christian analogy with the fire and brimstone, since the Ancients were "angelic".

In christian lore demons are angels that fell from heaven, yet demons =/= angels, they are similar to angels in the sense that they once WERE them.
        But they changed into demons, so they are not angels anymore.

so they are not the same, if you ask people if angels and demons are the same they will say

NO

Youre grasping at straws
        Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Yes, because they are beings the nature of their existence doesn't change anything.

Also way to oversimplify it, I know for a fact that TPTB while creating the Ori wanted a counterweight to the Ancients (lets keep Lantians and Ancients separate ok?) and they went for the christian analogy with the fire and brimstone, since the Ancients were "angelic".
          Just because they fall on different sides of the good/evil scale, doesn't mean they aren't from the same gene pool - that they aren't the same. Ancients, Ori - the only difference is that they live on the other side of the world... ohh and they gain their power differently.

so they are not the same, if you ask people if angels and demons are the same they will say

NO

Youre grasping at straws
          No, I'm stating that the Ancients and the Ori are the same. I get that you feel differently, and that's fine we all interpret things differently.

We don't need to see evil Ancients because we have seen them before (not just in the Ori). Agree or don't agree, my position isn't changin'.
          Last edited by Deevil; 19 February 2010, 02:30 AM.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

In christian lore demons are angels that fell from heaven, yet demons =/= angels, they are similar to angels in the sense that they once WERE them.
            But they changed into demons, so they are not angels anymore.

NO

Youre grasping at straws
            who's the Devil? He's a fallen angel. Who are the Ori? Fallen Alterans. I think it's pretty obvious it's the same and the both races had the same beginning (like angels/God and the Devil).
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              who's the Devil? He's a fallen angel. Who are the Ori? Fallen Alterans. I think it's pretty obvious it's the same and the both races had the same beginning (like angels/God and the Devil).
              Snakes evolved from Lizards, we don't call them lizards, and they are in fact not the same as lizards.

Birds evolved from dinosaurs, but are in fact not dinosaurs, they are birds.

We evolved from monkeys, but we are in fact not monkeys, but great apes.

Want any more analogies? Cause i can go on all day long.

The Ori are distinctly different from the Ancients, maybe even physically, since as stated they gain power differently. The Ancients don't need to gain power, in fact they are omnipotent by default, the Ori are not.
              This suggest a different "physiology".
              Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Snakes evolved from Lizards, we don't call them lizards, and they are in fact not the same as lizards.

Birds evolved from dinosaurs, but are in fact not dinosaurs, they are birds.

We evolved from monkeys, but we are in fact not monkeys, but great apes.

Want any more analogies? Cause i can go on all day long.

The Ori are distinctly different from the Ancients, maybe even physically, since as stated they gain power differently. The Ancients don't need to gain power, in fact they are omnipotent by default, the Ori are not.
                the only difference between them was, that the Ori used the lowers as a power source. Both races were the same. Same beings, same evolution. The Ori were evil, the ascended Ancients are no better than them. They did some pretty nasty things in the past.
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

If they are the same race, why can one use people as batteries and the other doesn't?

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?

Why do Ori never appear as a singular being, but rather as a "force"/flood or collective, while the Ancients regularly appear as distinct beings with names? (the Priors don't count they were just made "better" humans)

Why do the Ori seem to not have any distinct personality(ies)? (that might be the writers fault)

Why don't we never see the Ori physically intervene, while certainly capable, AND more powerful than the Ancients?

Its been said that the Ori created the second generation humans to worship them and used them to ascend, while the Ancients ascended "naturally", isn't that kinda like different evolution, forced evolution.

I see a lot more distinction than just good/evil here.
                  Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Two words: who cares.
                    Mia: Don't you hate that?
                    Vincent: Hate what?
                    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                    - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                      Two words: who cares.
                      Vulcan's of course.

Comment

If they are the same race, why can one use people as batteries and the other doesn't?
                        because they didn't choose to do that. They're the same race, they were the same race when they were humans and even when they were ascended.

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?.
                        they don't die when you kill their humans. They're just weaker.
                        Why do Ori never appear as a singular being, but rather as a "force"/flood or collective, while the Ancients regularly appear as distinct beings with names? (the Priors don't count they were just made "better" humans)
                        writers' fault that they didn't show us the Ori more.
                        Why do the Ori seem to not have any distinct personality(ies)? (that might be the writers fault)
                        you don't know that.

Why don't we never see the Ori physically intervene, while certainly capable, AND more powerful than the Ancients?
                        it's a plot-hole.

Its been said that the Ori created the second generation humans to worship them and used them to ascend, while the Ancients ascended "naturally", isn't that kinda like different evolution, forced evolution.
                        it wasn't. They ascended on their own. Ascension is the next step in evolution. They didn't use the second human evolution as a "help" in their onw ascension. They used them when they were already ascended.

I see a lot more distinction than just good/evil here.
                        there are some minor differencies, but they're still the one race.
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

From the summary of The Ark Of Truth

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

Millions of years ago, beneath a mountain plateau on a planet in a distant galaxy, a group of Alterans debate how to prevent a war with their fellow Alterans -- the fanatical Ori.

The Alterans who left their home world eventually became known as the Ancients.

From the Omnipedia -

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ori

The Ori were once the same civilization as the Alterans, but (for want of a better term) believed in religion, where their brothers relied more heavily on science. A gap was eventually bridged between the cultures. In consequence the other Alterans left for the Milky Way Galaxy(to later be known as the Ancients).

Two different philosophies and two different cultures but that doesn't make them different species. Real life humans have hundreds of different philosophies and cultures even though we are all the same species.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM
                            You will notice i never said they are different species.

Just that they are not the same, maybe a different race.
                            TPTB made it quite clear that the Ori and the other Alterans who became known as the Ancients had different philosophies. Even if the Alterans had had different races, what an individual believed wouldn't have depended on what race he/she came from. There are different races of real life humans but individuals in any given race can have different beliefs and philosophies - it's not like you have to be Italian to be a Roman Catholic, Chinese to be a Buddhist or a Russian to be a Communist and an atheist.
                            sigpic

Comment

if the ancients and ori as mortals can reproduce and produce fertile offspring, they by definition are one and the same species, and the same race.

since the ancients seemed to cheat and the ori did not, it's possible that later on they diverged.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                                Anyone else hopes for actual Aliens in Stargate Universe? I would get annoyed if they go through the universe and all they find is human planets, or aliens that look just like humans except for a little bit of makeup.
                                I'm not actually bothered either way. I don't want to see humanoid aliens, though, certainly not ones that look human.
                                sigpic
                                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X