How much was terraformed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much was terraformed?

In the film it says that it was a solar system that was terraformed, but in the series it say a whole galaxy was terraformed. And they continually refer to "the 'verse" but thats obviously a big exaggeration.
    When all technology has failed and all hope is lost, we will realize we had the ultimate advantage all along...

MAY BANJOS RULE THE WORLD!!!
    The reason my chemistry teacher hates me:
    Spoiler:
    MBA (my chemistry teacher): What is Avagadros constant?
    Me: 6 and a bit times 10 to the 23.
    MBA: Yea, you know that "bit" is two billion trillion?
    Me: Im barnsley and hung over, a bit will do
    AND
    MBA: What do we do to the number of moles to get the number of atoms?
    Me: Times it by that really big number!
    MBA: Yes, that really big number, what is it?
    Me: How should i know?
    MBA: Its on the board
    Me: Then whats the point in asking???

I know Wikipedia can't always be trusted, but I didn't notice anything wrong with this article... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nets_and_moons

The intro explains it a bit by basically saying that no one's really sure and that it's still a topic under debate.
    sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

No one really does know. You can assume that they'd have done some Solar Systems, which were near each other as they seem to have fairly rudimentary flight engines, so a few Solar Systems near each other seems logical.
      Disliked a recent episode?
      Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
      The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

I'm thinking more likely in some sort of star cluster or multi-star system. There seems to be a lot of stars close by. That or they have some sort of FTL travel, even if not particularly fast. Only in that case, I don't know why they don't use it more often. Also wasn't there a mention of them using colony ships or something when they left Earth That Was? I don't see why they would do that unless they were going really REALLY far or they only had sublight travel available to them.

Eh, just go read the Wikipedia article. It looks pretty right to me from what I've been able to gather myself.

Comment

In The Train Job one of the Hands of Blue says:

"We didn't fly eighty-six million miles to track down a box of band-aids, Colonel"

86,000,000 miles is approximately 1 astronomical unit (AU), which is the distance from Earth to the sun.

So wherever the HoB flew from, it was definitely in the same system, and very close.

And the movie confirms that it's all in one system

"Earth-that-was could no longer sustain our numbers, we were so many. We found a new solar system, dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. Each one terraformed, a process taking decades, to support human life, to be new earths"

Even in really dense star clusters, the distance between near stars is still over a tenth of a light year (in something ridiculously dense like a globular, which contain poor-metalicity stars anyway) and in an average open cluster more like an actual light year. Although, you might be able to find a really dense open cluster, the night sky would be rather bright with the light of the really close stars, which is the givaway that it's not in a dense cluster.

Maybe something like a Klemperer Rosette or another stable exotic arrangement of planets

Scientifically, the Big Damn Solar System is probably Firefly's weakest aspect

Comment

Yes, but at the same time, there was something, and I don't remember the episode, unfortunately, that seemed to indicate that there were multiple stars. I want to say it was one working for badger or someone, I'm not sure. Either there was a graphic or someone referred to going to a (star) cluster or something. Sorry I don't remember it exactly.

At the least, I think it would have to be a large (i.e. spread out) multi-star system. Probably a trinary system like Alpha Centauri at least.

Comment

In a deleted scene from "Our Mrs Reynolds" Mal says "more than 70 earths spinning in this galaxy", of course as this wasn't in the finished episode it may not considered canon
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I think there would surely be a few systems. All those planets and moons would be so unlikely, and surely the law could hunt down any ship in one system.

What about the Reaver's? Surely they are not in the same solar system...
                Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Yes, I was also under the impression that there was no FTL tech in firefly.

Comment

I don't remember there being any actual reference to multiple star systems in Firefly. The "more than 70 earths spinning in this galaxy" deleted scene doesn't matter. Whether it's canon or not, even if they're contained within one system, they're still also inside one galaxy. I suspect it's simply used because 'galaxy' rolls off the tongue quicker and easier than 'star system'.

In the Serenity Visual Companion (if you don't own it, you should seriously pick it up) there is a brief history of the Firefly 'verse written by Joss Whedon. It confirms that they live in a single star system containing "dozens of planets and hundreds of moons".

Comment

it could be that the central planets are all contained in the same solar system and that the outer planets are located in nearby solar systems that are relatively unexplored/unsettled.
                      Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

at the start of the film it says one system with HUNDREDS of moons, it also says it takes decades to terraform so in that time it could make the changes to make it earth like, perhaps alter the atmosphere so the same level of heat enters

The film should be canon as Joss wrote it, and he created the 'verse

Comment

Originally posted by NIKIN View Post
                          The film should be canon as Joss wrote it, and he created the 'verse
                          +1. Sounds good to me, and I've NEVER seen Joss just 'mail it in' on anything he's written that I've seen

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Working...
                          X