• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ariel (110)

Visit the Episode GuideFIREFLY SEASON ONE
    ARIEL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 110

The crew plans to lay low during a trip to a planet in the Alliance Core, until Simon proposes a lucrative job to break into a hospital to help his sister.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 18 October 2012, 02:46 PM.

Ah... this is probably my favourite FF episode as much as it is possible to have just one...
    A good heist story and an opportunity for Simon to spread his wings a little. It is probably the episode that gives insight into how much Simon gave up for River's sake. I like the pacing of the episode and that continual sense of urgency.

But the highlight of the episode is probably that little exchange at the end... Mal's fierce protectiveness of his crew, how it's all very personal and how aware he is of what goes on among his crew members. He really doesn't miss much. And why people underestimate him over and over again baffles the mind. One is also reminded that Mal really does have this darkside that emerges once every so often and he is capable of doing things that others may baulk at.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It's a great one. It's got a really different feel to it - possibly cos it's set on a core planet, with not a patch of semi-desert scrubland to be seen . It's the most SF episode too, what with the hands of blue fellas and the creepy way they kill. It felt funny to see Simon as the one in charge, like in the scenes where Zoe, Mal and Jayne are all studiously attending to the lines Simon's telling them.

Madeleine

Comment

This one was definetly interesting. A very interesting story and revelations and some nice development for the characters.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          It felt funny to see Simon as the one in charge, like in the scenes where Zoe, Mal and Jayne are all studiously attending to the lines Simon's telling them.
          Funny in a good way, I thought...
          "Patients were cynical..."
          "Pupils were fixed and dilapidated..."

Wonder what the benefits of swimming in a bioluminescent lake are?
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I remember reading that this episode impressed the network execs enough that they placed a production order for two more. Episodes that were then never aired. Idiots.

a time to mourn

Comment

I really like this episode. It started out as a kinda light-hearted 'caper' episode, like Trash and The Train Job, but picks up momentum and intensity as events unfold (Jayne's betrayal, the Blue Hands). A great, great episode.

Comment

Was this the only episode in which we had a good look at the "blue men"?
                I am so dissapointed that we never got to find out what thier role in the Alliance is and why they are so...weird. There was something distinctly non-human about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbito
                  Was this the only episode in which we had a good look at the "blue men"?
                  I am so dissapointed that we never got to find out what thier role in the Alliance is and why they are so...weird. There was something distinctly non-human about them.
                  Yep it were we got the best look at the Blue Hand men, I would have loved to have seen more of them.

I've got a theory that they work for the Blue Sun Corporation, and that Blue Sun is the real power behind the Aliance. Although this could just be me getting all conspiracy minded
                  But one thing to back up that there is something going on that connects Blue Sun in with River's story at least, is that at the start of the episode she wasn't attacking Jayne with the knife, she was attacking the Blue Sun logo on his t-shirt. And in another episode (Shindig) River has a fit and rips off all the Blue Sun lables that are on the food cans.

But if you want to see a little bit more of the blue men, get your hands on the Serenity comic books.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                  DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
                    Yep it were we got the best look at the Blue Hand men, I would have loved to have seen more of them.

I've got a theory that they work for the Blue Sun Corporation, and that Blue Sun is the real power behind the Aliance. Although this could just be me getting all conspiracy minded
                    But one thing to back up that there is something going on that connects Blue Sun in with River's story at least, is that at the start of the episode she wasn't attacking Jayne with the knife, she was attacking the Blue Sun logo on his t-shirt. And in another episode (Shindig) River has a fit and rips off all the Blue Sun lables that are on the food cans.

But if you want to see a little bit more of the blue men, get your hands on the Serenity comic books.
                    The Blue Sun men were also seen in The Train Job too, weren't they?

I tend to see the Blue Sun Corporation as a covert arm of the Alliance rather than the power behind it. My theory is that not everyone in parliament is privvy to the activities of the BSC... only a select group of people are in the know. It's probably similar to something like Area 51 or that dodgy group earth-based group on B5 that was experimenting with Shadow technology. Or the Stargate programme with the malevolence...
                    I am interested in what you said about River slashing Jane's tee and ripping the can labels and I think another thing that may back up what you say about River and the Corporation is
                    Spoiler:
                    the bluish hue of the first few minutes of the film
                    sigpic

Comment

Joss has, several times, talked about the fact that one of the things he wanted to do in Firefly was have mega-corporations becoming the government in the future, and implied that Blue Sun would be the big-wigs in that.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
                        Joss has, several times, talked about the fact that one of the things he wanted to do in Firefly was have mega-corporations becoming the government in the future, and implied that Blue Sun would be the big-wigs in that.
                        hhmmm, its become slightly more clear now why fox cancelled it then.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          hhmmm, its become slightly more clear now why fox cancelled it then.
                          LOL!

They also didn't like the whole 'Western' element (probably the reason why they didn't air Heart of Gold).

Comment

did deadwood come about before firefly? and how hard do you think fox kicked themselves when they discovered the sucess of that show?

Comment

Loved the ending to this episode. We used to have teeshirts that said mess with one, mess with all. That seems to be Mal's philosophy. I like the way he handles Jayne.
                              Happy

Sig pic by Mala the Magnificent

Comment

Working...
                              X