This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was bloody awesome!

Really, the thing that hits me first once the movie begins is that...well, it's a freaking movie! Whether it's the direction, the music, the structure, or just the general feel, there is definitely a sense that I'm watching a feature here, not an episode. However, this also made it different from the SG1 of old. A lot people have said that this was classic SG1, or it had a classic SG1 feel. Well, I didn't really see that. Sure, it had the Goa'uld, it had some of their fabulous themes in the background music, etc. etc. but just the fact that it was so much bigger made it different. Classic SG1 had that "rough around the edges" feel to the production that was eventually ironed out thanks to years of experience. This isn't a bad thing, of course...it's just different. Either way, I enjoyed it a lot; so let's get to it!

Everyone's talked about it, so I'll do it too: The Arctic. Admittedly it wasn't a big part of the film, but I was pretty much blown away at the vastness and the authenticity. I mean, when I imagine the arctic, I've always seen it as a vast expanse of snow and ice with little-to-no features; it's also what I usually see on TV and movies. This movie really opened my eyes as to the true arctic, and I was utterly in awe of it. It's not flat at all! Everywhere it's "jagged boulders" of ice and snow jetting out of the surface, which makes sense since the ice typically breaks up and move and would indeed form these "mountains". It's like plate tectonics, but with ice. The helicopter and the low-angle shots of the horizon with Sam and Cam stumbling about...wow. What made it even more incredible is the epic score in the background; grand, sweeping, and kind of depressing, which fits the mood of this nearly-hopeless hike across the arctic ice. Just perfect.

Of course, that's not all there were. The scenes leading up to the hike was great as well, and particularly powerful as Sam and Cam are forced to say goodbye to Daniel, right after they had to watch Jack die. Poor Daniel...putting up a brave front while trying to act like he's being selfish with his joking and smiling, when in reality, he wasn't at all; you can tell by his expression after they leave, the watery eyes (which would be very dangerous) and the show of fear says plainly that he knows there's no way he'll make it (the "oh ****" helped in that regard too); he did all he could to make sure Sam and Cam don't walk away with guilt that they are leaving him behind. And Sam and Cam as well, their faces just said everything: SG1's being picked off one by one, and they can't do anything to stop it.

Of course, it all works out, sort of. I'll get to that later. For now, I just want to say how epic it felt to have that sub surface (and before that, "Major Wood", hahaha. Martin's a pretty good actor, I must say), especially that one shot where the camera pans along the sub's length, as well as when it was diving. Very cool.

Ok, let's move on to the characters, specifically, Jack! He was absolutely brilliant in this movie. Before watching it I had heard that he was basically cracking jokes all the way through, but that wasn't the case at all. Sure, he was funny at the beginning, but this is Jack! All the jokes were delightfully written and wonderfully portrayed by RDA with that unique O'Neill flair. Whats more...he's talking to Ba'al! Of course he's going to be extra snarky and hilarious; it's just the kind of rapport they have with each other. I loved his line "How's tricks B?" So Jack, and so gloat-y. But it's not all jokes. His death sent a chill down my spine, and was a very heavy moment. From there, we go to Alt!Jack, which just impressed me even more. It's true that Jack has been more laidback in the last few years, so it was all the more awesome when he got angry at Cam, Sam, and Danny when the latter told him that his son should be dead. That face he made, the angry, shouting face, was just trademark O'Neill; and also, the way they shot his face, close-up like that, reminded me of soooooo many past SG1 episodes where Jack got angry. It was perfect. So all in all, I thought Jack was great in this; if RDA can bring game like this to a 3rd movie centered around Jack, then it can only be awesome.

But let's talk about the other characters now. Brad Wright was right when he said that the character stuff seen in this movie doesn't really get much air time in the series. It was incredible how powerful a few scenes of our people going about their forced-ordinary lives can be, especially when it's backed up by a brilliant, brilliant score. I think this is what made it a movie, the fact that we got these understated moments; whats more, each character got something juicy to think about.

First, we have that brilliant multi-panel talking thing that I had rewind about a hundred times so I can hear all the dialogue. After that, I rewound it again and just listened to the entire jumbo in one go, and it's great how it all matches up. Particularly powerful moments is when Daniel says that the guy interviewing him thinks him insane; just the way it was shot and acted, with Danny in shadow and him deadpanning it, very raw and hopeless and Daniel; then there are the bits near the end where everyone, even the usually-calm Sam start shouting; that was just cool. Following that, we have the "talkie" with Landry. Beau Bridges was only in this scene but he was damn good. From the beginning we saw that he wasn't in for a discussion; he was just there to tell them their fates. The end with "but you don't have the RIGHT!" was again very powerful, and perfectly true. That really emphasizes the fact that, not only did our heroes have almost no means to return to their timeline, but that their closest allies won't even help them. They are truly alone. From there begins some pretty heavy character stuff with Cam, Sam, and Daniel.

Cam doesn't exist. The grandfather that he idolized (I assume this since he's got a pic of him in his locker and everything) was killed, he has no identity, no life, no history here. That's gotta rock his foundations. Think about it; in this world, he never came to be, his purpose was never realized, and now he comes in as an extra, as a insignificant addition that the world never really needed in the first place. I wonder if this had any impact on how he felt when he joined SG1, that he was a new guy among an established order. In this case, it's the same thing, except there is no place in the universe where he can find solice in the fact that he may have belonged there; the truth is, he didn't belong anywhere in this reality.

The scenes where he returns to his house was especially poignant. It was done without any dialogue, just looks and music, and that was just a perfect way to express the loneliness and lack of identity in this new timeline for Cam; his grandfather, this house that was his, his parents...they are all just a memory now.

Sam's counterpart was dead. In a way this is even worse than Cam's fate; he could've just lived out his life, but Sam had to abandon it completely and set out on a brand new path. Her life of discovery, of excitement and danger was replaced by the mundane. Instead of a lack of identity, she had to hide hers, and at all times be vigilant so as to not be recognized. I cannot imagine how horrible it is to keep that up. Once again, we have a few scenes of no-dialogue backed up by incredible music as Sam just goes about her day. There is something surreal about something this ordinary happening in Stargate, especially when it's happening to someone like Sam who spends so much more time in the Stargate world than the real world.

And I gotta say, she looked fantastic in this movie. The long hair, the glasses; just stunning.

And then there's Daniel. In a way, he was the one who suffered the least. Sure, he lost his leg (though he didn't seem that cut up about it...well, I guess it could've been the drugs they pumped into him at the time), but he also didn't need to take up the hole left by his former self. His counterpart's kind of a laughing stock, but he was pretty much kept out of that. He was just a normal man with 1 leg living a normal life now. But still, one cannot deny the fact that it was depressing watching him hobble out of the cab, knowing he will probably never see his friends again (and that's especially sad for someone like Daniel who put so much importance in friendship) or checking out books alone in a bookshop with no friends around to share in his discovery of his counterpart's book. Speaking of which, I loved that photo of Alt!Daniel on the back cover; the fact that his eyes were so wide just reinforces the "freak" nature of his theories, I suppose.

That scene also seemed to trigger something in Daniel; after living a year pretending to be someone else, to not associate himself with the strange Dr. Jackson of his timeline, the book triggers his guilt center and make him realize that he can't really ignore himself, and that he should be helping him. It's the switch from "phew, he's making fun of him now, instead of me" to "hey...he's me."

I loved the idea of Daniel calling himself. Not only was it just a cool concept, but it harkened back to the Daniel we know and offered a good window into how Daniel has grown more confident and less naive since that time. It also provided a good scene for self-reflection on the part of Danny. The Daniel Jackson he's speaking to never had the chance to prove himself, or to be surrounded by great friends like SG1; in fact, his self-esteem must've just kept plummeting as he was ridiculed by his collegues. Even though we didn't hear him I got a very clear picture of who Alt!Daniel was thanks to how our Daniel interacted with him. The sense of disbelieve, of paranoia of it being a prank just made it all the more depressing to think how lonely the other Daniel must have been, or how many crank calls he had had in his career of people making fun of his theories (and his book being 70% off just added to that).

So basically, I got really depressed and felt quite hopeless during this portion of the movie, and I think that's the point. It really struck me how they were so lost in this brand new world, so alone and insignificant. It was powerful. Whats more, all 3 of them knew that it was just a matter of time before Ba'al came to complete his plans. I suppose that that helped, actually, as that provided a sense of purpose in their lives, that there is going to be something that will require their help some time in the future. I wonder how much more depressing it'd be if there hadn't been anything to "look forward to." And so, it was no surprise that they jumped right back into the fray without missing a beat when Ba'al arrived.

To be Continued...

Comment

Now, the Conclusion.

Ah, Ba'al. He was awesome in this movie. Of all the System Lord, he's my favorite purely because he actually has a sense of humor. A villain who is aware of his own persona is the most dangerous kind, as it makes it difficult for them to fall into the traps of typical villains. It's no different here. I loved his banter with Jack, and him lording over Apophis and wanting Teal'c to weigh in on Apophis's little quip. Also, he was just charismatic; he carried himself with the weight of extreme confidence and accomplishment, and yet wasn't always a nice guy either, but rather conniving and decieving; at times threatening. He made an excellent villain. In addition, his plan was truly genius. His time travel device was one of those things that just blows your mind with its simplicity and effectiveness (akin to the solution to Doctor Who's "Blink" and the method of destruction of the replicators from BAMSR). I mean, it was so obvious when you think about it; if a solar flare can send you through time, then gathering a real-time database of them would be the perfectly logical thing to do! Brilliant. If it weren't for SG1 running into the wormhole at that precise moment, Earth would've been enslaved/destroyed. Of course, the thing that's really funny is that Ba'al would've lost regardless because of his choice in a queen.

Qetesh...my God, what a difference a change of dress, voice, and style of acting make. Claudia Black just...blew me away with her portrayal of Qetesh; it was unnervingly different from the Vala we knew...in fact, there was nothing in her that reminded me of Vala; not even the fact that she looked like her can sway me from seeing only Qetesh in that massive-cleavaged villainess. Is it just me, or are female Goa'ulds much more vicious than the male ones? Haha. But anyway, she was absolutely phenomenal; that flanged voice gave her such a threatening demeanor and, dare I say it, a royal flare. She was indeed queen. That sequence of her strutting down the hall, chasing after Teal'c was just sooooo badass.

MORE QETESH PLEASE.

Oh, and a sidenote on the System Lords: my favorite one in this alternate timeline is Cronus. He's so...slimey and a suck-up. I love it.

Let's talk aesthetics; specifically, music. I actually watched this movie twice, as the first time I was interrupted so many times by real life stuff, and had to stop the movie as it was running into the night and I thought I wasn't going to be awake enough to really pay attention to the climax of the movie. At the time, I thought the score was actually lacking compared to the one for Ark of Truth; the music blended more into the background, instead of being showcased in the foreground like in AoT. I blamed this on the direction, as I've heard that Rob Cooper specifically directed scenes to allow the music to shine through. No offense to Martin Wood of course, he's brilliant...but in the case of music he seemed to be second to Rob Cooper.

But, watching it again changed my mind. There were several sequences where the music came out on top, and which were BRILLIANT, like the walk through the Arctic (the score gave me a sense of a difficult, desperate, journey on alien ground; very sweeping and epic; when it was later used in a subdued, piano form in Cam's house, it just gave a sense of such loneliness and not knowing where one's going; perfect) and the montage of our heroes being given new lives (it very much felt like a "beginning again" piece of music; the lone clarinet(?) embedded in the score also gave a sense of loneliness). Joel Goldsmith is a God. There's no way around that. However, I still hold onto my opinion that it wasn't as good as Ark of Truth's score. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but AoT's score was just greeeeeeeeaaaaat, if you know what I mean. At times the action superceeded the music so much (i.e. the battle over the Atlantic), that the mood set by the music is largely lost and isn't nearly as impacting. There is also less variety in the music, which I can't really blame on anyone; with AoT, you had choral music and grand, sweeping scores, which Continuum also has...but, the former also have some exquisit action sequence music that was techno in nature thanks to the replicators, which really added to the variety in the score that was largely missing from Continuum. Still, I enjoyed the score a lot, and am hoping that when my CD arrives in the mail from FreeClyde, I'll get a new appreciation for it, just like what happened when I first listened to the AoT score without all the dialogue and action.

There is also the VFX, which were brilliant. The Tok'Ra city was breathtakingly beautiful; the aurora above the sinking Achilles in the arctic was similarily so. The shots of the massive Goa'uld fleet was epic; and of course, the battle over the Atlantic was just kick-ass. The effects were just so incredibly realistic, especially on the F-15s. My favorite shot is definitely the one where the Migs fly directly at the gliders and then bank upwards as they take care of them, as well as the last shot of our heroes streaking across the dark ocean surface towards the horizon; just the speed of the "camera" in these shots as they follow the fighters, it really adds to the excitement.

That said, I think there should've been more shots. Regardless of their quality, I've seen more VFX in some Atlantis episodes (First Strike, for instance), where not only were the effects BIG, but they were also longer in duration, I think that could've added some more excitement and wow-factor to everything. Still happy with what we got though.

Finally, we have the ending. Teal'c turn was inevitable, though I like that they didn't even try to hide the fact that Teal'c would eventually turn; I mean, it was clear throughout the movie that he wanted freedom. However, I'd say that this sudden "final mission of a First Prime" thing did come out of nowhere. The fight at Praxia was pretty damn cool, and so were the effects of the suns. Seeing our heroes die again wasn't actually THAT impacting since we've seen that happen so many times already . Though I must say, I cringed at Teal'c being shot, as Chris Judge expresses pain SO well. Finally, we have Cam meeting his destiny. The look on Ba'al as he exited the Stargate, his smugness instantly changing to that of horror, was brilliant. Then, we end that scene with a triumphant return of the wonderful "Mitchell's Theme" as Mitch and his grandpappy stare out over the ocean. The extraction ceremony was interesting, especially with Ba'al's voice changing to that of a human mid-way through it. It'll be interesting to see how the host will be delt with from here on out (all I know is that I want to see it!).

Phew, that was a lot. The last thing I need to do is compare this to Ark of Truth. A lot of people thinks this is better, but I disagree. I'd say that I enjoyed both movies equally, but for different reasons. For Ark of Truth, I really dug the score, the sense of adventure, the overall plot developments, and the tying up of the various threads of the Ori arc. With Continuum, the character stuff blew me away, along with the return of Jack, and the Arctic stuff; for me, they balance out. Still, I will say this: I don't think either film is as large as Stargate can be (heck, I don't even think the original movie is that big). With these 2 films under their belt and selling like hotcakes, I can only hope that the next films get bigger budgets, and can be used to tell stories that are truly epic in the grand universe that is Stargate.

Score: 9/10

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
        It's 64000 Lbs.

Vala,
        thank you

still doesn't answer how they got something that heave down into the hold of a ship.

i think that's a plot hole, cause unless it's a ship whose whole deck is removable so it can be craned in, it's too heavy to move
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i think that's a plot hole, cause unless it's a ship whose whole deck is removable so it can be craned in, it's too heavy to move
          The same way they put the T-Rex in the ship in Jurassic Park... There was a door?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You don't need a big door to lower the Stargate in; the gate is, what, 25 feet in diameter? And it'd only be a few feet in width.

According to this site, there are containers weighing more than the Stargate, so the weight is not really an issue either. Though I'll admit, that's for a modern cargo ship, but I'm willing to accept the same for one in 1939 thanks to my ignorance in shipping regulations of that era.

Comment

64,000 pounds is 32 tons, right?

I know nothing about shipping, but going by the ships on deadliest catch and how much their holds hold, the Achilles would need to be a fairly large ship to even be able to carry it. and maybe they all have removable deck plates so something that's 20+ feet across will fit

sigpic

Comment

This movie was a trip down memory lane of everything about StarGate that we've come to love. The 1st seven seasons were definately the best & if it's a bit of rehash?? Please rehash more! It flowed well, was decently written & I loved seeing all the old bad guys again. Nothin's more fun than than kickin their butts a 2nd or 3rd time Haha! As far as Gen. Landry??? Yes, he was wrong in as far as the need to set things right in "our" timeline, but like any good soldier he stood up & defended his time & what he grew up in. Seems to me the government did too good a job at limiting anything SG1 could do without them landing themselves in federal prison. There wasn't much to do until Daniel was able to tell Pres. Hayes "I told you so" I loved him rubbin it in Baal's my fav badguy because he's sooooo good at actually using his brain instead of just acting pompous & yelling "off with their heads" Remember when he had SG1 gather all the clones just so he could escape the SGC after stealing what he needed??? Never knew his exact intent til it was too late. Thats why l love Baal. he's got charm, humor, still arogant enough to hate but I love his devious & deceptive side. I truly hope he never goes away completely in any future filming they do. I don't mind a plot hole or 2. After all, it's Sci-Fi & I'm sure Brad & Robert fill in at least 10 before filming for everyone we can pick out. I have too great a respect for the people who's created & shared StarGate with us for over 12 yrs now.

Comment

maybe it's not as difficult as i think it is. kinda hard to judge since we never get a really clear idea of the size of it

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...a/am-farmr.htm

sigpic

Comment

thank you

still doesn't answer how they got something that heave down into the hold of a ship.

Details-details
                    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

I know nothing about shipping, but going by the ships on deadliest catch and how much their holds hold, the Achilles would need to be a fairly large ship to even be able to carry it. and maybe they all have removable deck plates so something that's 20+ feet across will fit
                      I'm not sure.

The Liberty ship looks larger in size, but has a max capacity of over 10,000 tons and but has a crew complement of just 41.

It's possible that a smaller ship could take just 32 tons and operate on the 10 or so crew we saw.

Comment

PG15 said:
                        Cam doesn't exist. The grandfather that he idolized (I assume this since he's got a pic of him in his locker and everything) was killed, he has no identity, no life, no history here. That's gotta rock his foundations. Think about it; in this world, he never came to be, his purpose was never realized, and now he comes in as an extra, as a insignificant addition that the world never really needed in the first place. I wonder if this had any impact on how he felt when he joined SG1, that he was a new guy among an established order. In this case, it's the same thing, except there is no place in the universe where he can find solice in the fact that he may have belonged there; the truth is, he didn't belong anywhere in this reality.
                        I've never even heard him mention grandpa before. Only grandma (ad nauseum). Sooo... it felt contrived.

on his insignificance.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I've never even heard him mention grandpa before. Only grandma (ad nauseum). Sooo... it felt contrived.
                          I got the feeling that Grandma had been a widow for a long time. I think Cam only knew his Grandfather from the picture and a few stories. No reason he should mention him. It was his Grandmother who was kicking his butt around the block.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeKayP View Post
                            In the Continuum issue of the Official Magazine, there is a picture of the concept drawing for the symbiote extraction technology. Comment on the drawing: "VFX Symbiote beams in (Liquid bubbles and glows)."

I think that maybe the SGC shared some of the Asgard tech with the Tok'ra as part of their treaty/agreement. The Tok'ra probably built the technology using data from the time Hermiod (on SGA in "Critical Mass") extracted a Goa'uld symbiote from Col. Caldwell with Asgard beaming technology on the Daedalus.

Edited to correct the name of the SGA episode.
                            Sure. So I guess this is new tech to them. Even though they could already extract symbiotes. The needle still makes no sense. But I guess visually...

Oy.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Are we talking about metric tons? 64 000 pounds = 29.0299117 metric tons

Comment

Despite beautiful visuals, good acting and high adventure that only the whole Stargate creative team can deliver, Stargate: Continuum is merely a mediocre fan service movie. There's just nothing new this movie offers into the entire Stargate universe. The movie is basically one long walk in the nostalgia of the past. Pulling out old enemies from the the series' past in a rogue's gallery of enemies long since dead and carefully written out of the Stargate storyline. This reviewer feels like the entire Stargate franchise has grown stale. And Continuum helps the series gain none of the momentum the series had as one of the most creative science-fiction shows in the history of television.

I felt the only bright side of the movie was the appearnce of Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill. His performance was fresh and whimsical as always. Something the series has lacked since Mr. Anderson left the show.

As a devoted fan, I'm ashamed that I even had this though come to mind: There honestly was no real reason this movie should have been made. It offered nothing new or even remotely interesting to the Stargate franchise.

Sadly, I will not be buying Stargate Continuum to round out my collection of Stagate memorbilia. This movie will always be a one-time rental, offering me no reason whatsoever to watch it ever again.

Comment

Working...
                                X