X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bible accuracy confirmed yet again

First Temple seal found in Jerusalem

A stone seal bearing the name of one of the families who acted as servants in the First Temple and then returned to Jerusalem after being exiled to Babylonia has been uncovered in an archeological excavation in Jerusalem's City of David, a prominent Israeli archeologist said Wednesday.

The 2,500-year-old black stone seal, which has the name "Temech" engraved on it, was found earlier this week amid stratified debris in the excavation under way just outside the Old City walls near the Dung Gate, said archeologist Dr. Eilat Mazar, who is leading the dig.

According to the Book of Nehemiah, the Temech family were servants of the First Temple and were sent into exile to Babylon following its destruction by the Babylonians in 586 BCE.

The family was among those who later returned to Jerusalem, the Bible recounts.

The seal, which was bought in Babylon and dates to 538-445 BCE, portrays a common and popular cultic scene, Mazar said.

The 2.1 x 1.8-cm. elliptical seal is engraved with two bearded priests standing on either side of an incense altar with their hands raised forward in a position of worship.

A crescent moon, the symbol of the chief Babylonian god Sin, appears on the top of the altar.

Under this scene are three Hebrew letters spelling Temech, Mazar said.

The Bible refers to the Temech family: "These are the children of the province, that went up out of the captivity, of those that had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away, and came again to Jerusalem and to Judah, every one unto his city." [Nehemiah 7:6]... "The Nethinim [7:46]"... The children of Temech." [7:55].

The fact that this cultic scene relates to the Babylonian chief god seemed not to have disturbed the Jews who used it on their own seal, she added.

The seal of one of the members of the Temech family was discovered just dozens of meters away from the Opel area, where the servants of the Temple, or "Nethinim," lived in the time of Nehemiah, Mazar said.

"The seal of the Temech family gives us a direct connection between archeology and the biblical sources and serves as actual evidence of a family mentioned in the Bible," she said. "One cannot help being astonished by the credibility of the biblical source as seen by the archaeological find."

The find will be announced by Mazar at the 8th annual Herzliya Conference on Sunday.

The archeologist, who rose to international prominence for her recent excavation that may have uncovered King David's palace, most recently uncovered the remnants of a wall from Nehemiah.

The dig is being sponsored by the Shalem Center, a Jerusalem research institute where Mazar serves as a senior fellow, and the City of David Foundation, which promotes Jewish settlement throughout east Jerusalem.

If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    First Temple seal found in Jerusalem

A stone seal bearing the name of one of the families who acted as servants in the First Temple and then returned to Jerusalem after being exiled to Babylonia has been uncovered in an archeological excavation in Jerusalem's City of David, a prominent Israeli archeologist said Wednesday.

The 2,500-year-old black stone seal, which has the name "Temech" engraved on it, was found earlier this week amid stratified debris in the excavation under way just outside the Old City walls near the Dung Gate, said archeologist Dr. Eilat Mazar, who is leading the dig.

According to the Book of Nehemiah, the Temech family were servants of the First Temple and were sent into exile to Babylon following its destruction by the Babylonians in 586 BCE.

The family was among those who later returned to Jerusalem, the Bible recounts.

The seal, which was bought in Babylon and dates to 538-445 BCE, portrays a common and popular cultic scene, Mazar said.

The 2.1 x 1.8-cm. elliptical seal is engraved with two bearded priests standing on either side of an incense altar with their hands raised forward in a position of worship.

A crescent moon, the symbol of the chief Babylonian god Sin, appears on the top of the altar.

Under this scene are three Hebrew letters spelling Temech, Mazar said.

The Bible refers to the Temech family: "These are the children of the province, that went up out of the captivity, of those that had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away, and came again to Jerusalem and to Judah, every one unto his city." [Nehemiah 7:6]... "The Nethinim [7:46]"... The children of Temech." [7:55].

The fact that this cultic scene relates to the Babylonian chief god seemed not to have disturbed the Jews who used it on their own seal, she added.

The seal of one of the members of the Temech family was discovered just dozens of meters away from the Opel area, where the servants of the Temple, or "Nethinim," lived in the time of Nehemiah, Mazar said.

"The seal of the Temech family gives us a direct connection between archeology and the biblical sources and serves as actual evidence of a family mentioned in the Bible," she said. "One cannot help being astonished by the credibility of the biblical source as seen by the archaeological find."

The find will be announced by Mazar at the 8th annual Herzliya Conference on Sunday.

The archeologist, who rose to international prominence for her recent excavation that may have uncovered King David's palace, most recently uncovered the remnants of a wall from Nehemiah.

The dig is being sponsored by the Shalem Center, a Jerusalem research institute where Mazar serves as a senior fellow, and the City of David Foundation, which promotes Jewish settlement throughout east Jerusalem.

well obviously some of the stuff than happened in the bible is real, i can't believe anyone would be particularly suprised by that, even as an agnostic who is extremly against organised religion, i accept that many of the characters in the bible are most likely real. and probably a lot of the events too.

But the majority of the bible, expecially the early old testement evolved so much when it was first imagined to when it was written, it became accepted fact. metaphores became accepted facts. personifications became accepted facts. and the sooner fundementalists realise this the sooner mankind can get on with actually investigating more pertinent things.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah...there are truths in the bible...there has to be, and I say that as a total and complete athiest.

I'm more interested in reading the gospels that were taken out of the bible.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
        Yeah...there are truths in the bible...there has to be, and I say that as a total and complete athiest.

ooh if you read the story of christ (Isa) taken from the qu'ran, that interesting because it is based on one of the gospels vetoed from the bible. he does a lot of different miracles (he could speak as a baby etc.) and his whole birth is a lot less forgiving, (he was born in the middle of the desert alone, under a date tree) there is an iranian movie based on the story aswell.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

And how many references to a reallife item/person does the Da vinci Code contain again? Doesn't proof it's happned..

Oh yeah.

Comment

i may be an agnostic but HOT DAMN! what i wouldn't give to find an artifact from biblical times. i mean there's obviously some thing that are true, denying that would be equally as arrogant as saying the whole thing is true.
            Last edited by tombombadil; 18 January 2008, 05:07 PM.
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

This almost draws attention away from all the proven biblical inaccuracies.

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                i may be an athiest but HOT DAMN! what i wouldn't give to find an artifact from biblical times.
                Come to Israel, buy a shovel and dig just about anywhere.

Over the last year, there's been lots of discoveries in the field of Biblical archaeology. The two most significant ones were a huge building that is believed to have been king David's palace (its location was predicted on the basis of a Biblical verse, and the building is in a Phoenician style, which is consistent with the Biblical description), and the world's oldest apiary that dates back to the kingdom of Solomon (with cealed ceramic jars addressed to a person whose name was also mentioned in the Bible).
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                  Come to Israel, buy a shovel and dig just about anywhere.

Over the last year, there's been lots of discoveries in the field of Biblical archaeology. The two most significant ones were a huge building that is believed to have been king David's palace (its location was predicted on the basis of a Biblical verse, and the building is in a Phoenician style, which is consistent with the Biblical description), and the world's oldest apiary that dates back to the kingdom of Solomon (with cealed ceramic jars addressed to a person whose name was also mentioned in the Bible).
                  i wanna find the ring of solomon
                  Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

Just like the book of origin......
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      This almost draws attention away from all the proven biblical inaccuracies.
                      IMO, most of the inaccuracies (in the new testament namely) are a result of human perception. Two men see the same event at the same time, yet do you really think they are going to write down the exact same account? It's a psychological thing, different minds perceive events differently and remember key factors differently.

Nevertheless... that's going off topic

I believe the Bible to be true, and the discovery of artifacts that really provide solid proof is very exciting!

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                        You have the ancient pig's teeth, the bones of an old man with a rickets that made his skeleton look ape-like, chemically treated skulls that have teeth plugged with bubble gum, and millions of MISSING transitional skeletons that should be all over the earth.

Somehow I doubt the validity of Darwin's theories.
                        || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                          You have the ancient pig's teeth, the bones of an old man with a rickets that made his skeleton look ape-like, chemically treated skulls that have teeth plugged with bubble gum, and millions of MISSING transitional skeletons that should be all over the earth.

Somehow I doubt the validity of Darwin's theories.
                          And you have a book written by men who didn't understand the basic workings of lighting, explaining human existence

Comment

And you have a book written by men who didn't understand the basic workings of lighting, explaining human existence
                            I'm siding with Razor on this one. The bible was written by men, so even if they got a few names right as well as a few locations - does that prove that everything in the bible is a fact? No, it doesn't. It does shed a little more light on human history though, and how people evolved mentally...
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

*sigh* The Bible was not written by just men.

Look. There are a bunch of things science is incapable of explaining, so when science (as imperfect as it is) disproves--nay, crushes and does a tap-dance on--a theory, I'd say it's pretty well shot.

By the way, science has yet to prove the Bible wrong.
                              || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                              X