This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
    I know I'm waaayyyy late to this thread but I figured I'd just jump right in (hope that's ok) ...
    Welcome!

For everything else - I've been a little scattered lately - personal stuff. But I did watch The Eye today. So I'm one behind. Sorry guys. Another awesome episode. Love Sheppard taking everyone down - Koyla made a huge mistake telling him Weir was dead. It was a great episode for Rodney & Elizabeth too.

Favorite scenes:
    -Rodney stepping in front of Elizabeth and arguing for their lives.
    -Rodney and Elizabeth huddling together in the rain. (The poor actors must have been so very very miserable)
    -Sheppard taking the control room and shutting the shield.
    -Teyla & Sora's fight.
    -Sheppard shooting Koyla - "I'm not aiming for her"
    -I guess I actually enjoyed Ford and Carson's bickering. Poor Carson. He never did enjoy this stuff.
    -Rodney & Elizabeth conning the Genii into going through the gate. "In case you haven't noticed I'm an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all his plans will work." Loved it.

Things I didn't like - can't think of any.
    Last edited by Killdeer; 10 August 2007, 04:40 PM.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
      I didn't notice the minutes. I was too caught up in listening Ladon Radim tell the Genii soldiers how many FEET Sheppard was in front of them (just before Shep shot from the rafters). Who knew the Genii measured distance in US terms?
      LOL! Didn't catch that! And here I thought all aliens used the metric system *cough* Star Trek/Star Wars *cough*

I also noticed that the driver's seat in the jumpers was on the right. The Ancients drive like American's too!

DEFIANT ONE

Liked:

+Shep teaching McKay to drive
      +Gall's motion sickness
      +<3 McKay's reaction to the space bugs. "Girlish fear"
      +Poor Red Shirt Abrams!
      +Seeing Shep pull rank and yell at McKay was interesting. You don't see Shep doing that a lot.
      +Yay for first Captian Kirk reference! "He's got my ship!" "What are you, Captian Kirk?"
      +Yay Shep whump!
      +McKay trying to bandage up Gall was interesting. You could tell how concerned he was and how much he wanted to help
      +Shep's "I can't hear you threaten to suck the life outta me until you pick up the radio."
      +McKay's face after he commits suicide. He was so sad!
      +<3 McKay saving Shep.
      +The space bugs saved the day! For some reason, I really liked the little buggies.
      +The huge explosion at the end was hilarious. Poor space bugs, they gave their lives to save Shep and McKay.

NOTE: For all you international fanfic writers out there: it's "a PowerBar", not "a power bar". "PowerBar" is a brand name, not the type of bar. Sorry, but my dad loves those bars and it's one of those little things that irk me.

Disliked:

-I think that they should have waited. Cool spaceship or not, there's still no telling what might be down there. I'm glad that Shep isn't so reckless in the future, but I wish he didn't have to learn it the hard way.
      -If Shep knew that they didn't show up as life signs when they were hibernating, why didn't he mention that before and why did he leave Galls and Abram alone?
      -Gall's make-up looked kinda cheesy, but that falls under the "suspend disbelief" catagory.
      -Where did Teyla get the new shirt? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.
      click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

First I want to say - 1000 posts!! Wow, never thought I'd be here near this much when I first joined.

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
        As for the moron, I'd go for vigilante justice on this one. Seriously, I can't imagine he would have escaped the repercussions of his actions.
        You know, I always assumed that he was killed by the Genii, but maybe not, judging from Sora's shock when Kolya shot the guards. I don't think she'd ever seen anyone die before.

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
        McKay, With blood all over his hands, stepping in front of Weir while Kolya is holding a gun on her, arguing for her life: <snip>Weir: “Rodney, Rodney he gets it…”

Weir recognizing that McKay stepped in front of a gun for her.
        That was a wonderful scene.

Sheppard: “Okay, what would McKay do?” He goes to disable the control room generator.

Sign: “Really, really dangerous. Don’t touch. McKay” The look on Sheppard’s face of dread and uncertainty.
        LOL. That's another of my favorite scenes. And the faint amusement mingled with the worry on his face as he looked at the sign.

McKay: I don't know if you noticed or not, but I'm an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work. Kolya punches him.

Spunky Elizabeth when she throws the “You choose.” Back at Kolya.

McKay managing to lie about not being able to get the shield to work.
        Another great scene for Rodney and Elizabeth.

The shield goes up a lot faster here than in First Strike (more power or plot device?)
        Probably plot device, but more power is a good explanation - I think I'll adopt it!

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
        Absolutely love dark and dangerous Sheppard. He doesn't like it when people mess his friends and his home.
        ITA.

I know we haven't been doing pics in this thread but my two of my all time favorite screen caps came from this ep

Spoiler:

Love the pics! Thank you! Sorry for falling behind guys! Tomorrow's the weekend - promise I'll catch up then.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Congratulations on 1000!!!

I can't green you at the moment so *mental greens*.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Congratulations on 1000!!!

I can't green you at the moment so *mental greens*.
            *joins in the mental greening* Congrats Killdeer!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Now for the next 1000!
              Last edited by Killdeer; 10 August 2007, 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling :(
              - Life after Stargate -
              sigpic

Comment

Sheppard: “This is why parents get someone else to teach their kids to drive.”
                McKay: “I’m both insulted and touched by that.”
                lol ... Although there are a lot of them, I'd say that this moment in Defiant One is by far one of my favourite Sheppard/McKay moments. Great stuff.

I really loved Rodney in this episode. I love his scenes with Dr. Gaul. Often times I think the show gets caught up in Rodney the genius and doesn't take enough time to show Rodney the man. This episode did a great job of really displaying the non-genius side of him.

Never too late to join in. Everyone's welcome at any time.
                Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Welcome!
                Thanks!

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

I don’t think Joe Flanigan ever looked better than he does in this episode. He looks good dirty and fighting.
                  Isn't this another one on the whumper list?

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
                  Sheppard: “This is why parents get someone else to teach their kids to drive.”
                  McKay: “I’m both insulted and touched by that.”
                  lol ... Although there are a lot of them, I'd say that this moment in Defiant One is by far one of my favourite Sheppard/McKay moments. Great stuff.
                  Absolutely love it. One of my favorite moments also.

I really loved Rodney in this episode. I love his scenes with Dr. Gaul. Often times I think the show gets caught up in Rodney the genius and doesn't take enough time to show Rodney the man. This episode did a great job of really displaying the non-genius side of him.
                  I completely agree.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  sigpic

Comment

The Defiant One is definitely a fave. And not just because it is Shep whumper's dream (check that thread for more on that).

What I liked:
                    * Shep teaching Rodney to fly the jumper - I think it's interesting that Rodney wants to learn
                    * the HUD showing Rodney not flying in a straight line (I wonder whose thoughts it was reading to display)
                    * McKay mouthing "Help me" to Shep and Shep actually helping ("I agree with McKay" - a rarity)
                    * the marked difference between Rodney and the other 2 scientists - he doesn't hesitate to enter the Wraith ship
                    * Shep makes mistakes - several: he underestimates the Wraith's ability to survive (several times); he leaves the 2 inexperienced scientists alone; he underestimates the Wraith's cunning (jumper shield - that had to hurt); he doesn't let the Wraith get completely out in the open when he shoots him the first time; almost blows himself up with the Wraith grenade
                    * Shep and McKay arguing - not snark, but full out yelling
                    * McKay's reaction to Gaul - the feeding (first time Rodney has seen the effects of a Wraith feeding that I know of), caring for him, and the suicide (oh, the guilt)
                    * new info on the Wraith - they have supply ships (ew); they can live almost forever with enough food; they heal faster after feeding; they can feed off each other; they can be cruel and vindictive if they want ("he left me with just enough life so you'd have to watch me die"); they definitely aren't stupid (figures out how to shoot a 9 mil, knows about and plays with the circuits in the jumper, threatens to fly it with Shep's dead hands)
                    * Shep trying to convince the Wraith the Lantians had won the war
                    * Shep eating when he was hungry and not hiding his injuries
                    * Rodney coming to the rescue and actually hitting something when he shoots (and it wasn't Sheppard)
                    * Shep attacking with a knife and then a PowerBar - man's got guts

Questions:
                    * why does McKay have a big mirror with him and Shep had to use a knife blade?
                    * how do the Wraith make those cocoons
                    * in the middle of the fight with Rodney and John, why did the Wraith stop to kill the bugs?
                    * did they take the bodies of Gaul and Abrams back? Did Rodney tell John what happened to Gaul?
                    * why the bad make-up job after the feeding? Running low on FX funds?

Great lines:
                    SHEPPARD: This is why parents get someone else to teach their kids how to drive.
                    McKAY: I am both insulted and touched by that. (I've used this one.)

McKAY: OK, that is incredibly disturbing.

SHEPPARD: There's a very good chance it's gonna be dark before another Jumper can get here. If we play the waiting game, the guy who's been around for ten thousand years is gonna win.
                    McKAY: Major, anyone or anything capable of surviving that long is gonna be a serious adversary.

SHEPPARD: Try and stay positive.

SHEPPARD : I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me til you hit the button on the radio.

SHEPPARD: Lieutenant, I like your timing. Get your ass down here.
                    FORD: Sir, we're still two-zero minutes away at top speed.
                    SHEPPARD: Well, in that case, your timing sucks.

SHEPPARD: We'll have to put the ship back together, provided you can disarm the shield.
                    McKAY: Fine. As long as we get to go home.
                    SHEPPARD: You can drive.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana
                    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Here's a couple of my favorite Defiant One pics.

I've never tried to post pictures before, so please bear with me.
                      Spoiler:

- Life after Stargate -
                      sigpic

Comment

Questions:
                        * why does McKay have a big mirror with him and Shep had to use a knife blade?
                        * how do the Wraith make those cocoons
                        * in the middle of the fight with Rodney and John, why did the Wraith stop to kill the bugs?
                        * did they take the bodies of Gaul and Abrams back? Did Rodney tell John what happened to Gaul?
                        * why the bad make-up job after the feeding? Running low on FX funds?
                        The mirror thing bugged me too. Why would anyone carry a mirror that size around on a mission anyways?

How DID the Wraith create the cocoon around Gaul? Is it organic like a spider's web? (Ewww...gross mental images. )

Maybe he's allergic to bee stings? What, it could happen.

I think what happened to Gaul and Abrams body will only be answered in fanfic. Sad but true.

Gaul's make-up was SciFi made-for-TV-movie bad. Oh well. You can't always get top quality on TV. *shrug*

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                        Here's a couple of my favorite Defiant One pics.

I've never tried to post pictures before, so please bear with me.
                        Spoiler:

Great pics KD! Very crisp too!

Comment

Hot Zone is another ep I like more every time I see it.

Good Stuff:
                          * Zelenka!
                          * Prime/Not-Prime - those wacky scientists really know how to have a good time
                          * the geeks making fun of the tough guy (Ford)
                          * GREAT McKay ep:
                          - does not hesitate when Johnson screams for help
                          - thinks of protecting Atlantis and the others over saving himself
                          - distresses at the loss of each member of his team
                          - bypasses his typical hypochondria when he realizes he is infected - doesn't tell anyone
                          - his reaction to watching Hays die and knowing he's next is perfect - his concern is for his sister and Atlantis
                          * Shep getting his a** kicked by a girl (girl power!)
                          * CONFLICT - the highlight of the ep; everybody's in on it (even Zelenka - yells at Beckett)
                          * the city going into lockdown when it senses a biological threat but opening up for protected personnel (finally, something the Ancients did right besides the stargate)
                          * our first hint of the Asurans and their level of hatred for humans
                          * the geekiness of Zelenka and McKay trying to high-five/shake hands at the end

Things I found interesting:
                          * John disobeying Weir - nice follow through on his previously established reputation
                          * Weir's mistakes: she didn't realize the risks of trusting people (the infected) to stay where they were and didn't take the threat Peterson imposed seriously even after Rodney told her; she underestimated John's willfullness and Bates' by-the-bookness (that man would never disobey an order)
                          * Teyla's response to John's disobedience - she wasn't afraid to call him on it, but the call was to him undermining Weir not in him leaving the gym (she did follow him)
                          * the unfinished conversation between Sheppard and Weir at the very end
                          * McKay refering to "the lovely and talented Dumais" - when does he give out compliments like that?
                          * Dr. Biro enjoys her job way too much
                          * Rodney brought a massive EMP generator? Shep only got to bring a tape of a football game

Good lines:
                          WEIR: So, Rodney, what's it like out there in the suburbs today?

MCKAY: Alright, you clowns, listen up! I don't often get a chance to say this, so savour it: good work, boys and girls! Let's go home.

SHEPPARD: If this was really a fight, I would have shot you by now.

SHEPPARD: Get as far away from the nuclear explosion as possible -- that's good advice, Rodney, thanks!

The Eye

Ford pulls an LSD out of his pocket and it is activated. He does not have the gene.
                          You are completely correct in saying Ford doesn't have the gene (at least yet). It's mentioned in Hot Zone (today's ep).

Sheppard turns around to look at Dr. Gaul. He smiles. Wow! Sheppard so seldom smiles. Between the smile and the quality of his voice when he speaks to Gaul… Wow!

Sheppard in his black tee shirt looking very military with his gaggle of blue shirted scientists.

Sheppard yelling at McKay. McKay yelling at Sheppard. I love yelling Sheppard. I love Command Sheppard. Is the only other time Sheppard yells at McKay in Trinity?

How Sheppard targets the Wraith. Smart Sheppard.

I don’t think Joe Flanigan ever looked better than he does in this episode. He looks good dirty and fighting.
                          I agree with all of the above. Shep rarely smiles - a genuine smile, not a smarta** smirk. That kinda makes me sad. Wish he would smile more.

He yells quite often at McKay, but not usually in true anger like this (he does in Inferno, but it's for motivation). Trinity might be the only other time.

I love Command Sheppard, Smart Sheppard, but most especially, Dirty and Fighting Sheppard. Oops, wrong thread.

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                          I also noticed that the driver's seat in the jumpers was on the right. The Ancients drive like American's too!
                          -Where did Teyla get the new shirt? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.
                          I think you mean the driver's seat was on the left (on the right on the TV screen I guess).

Maybe Teyla borrowed the shirt from Weir. She has plenty. J/K! I'm sure Teyla has her own wardrobe.
                          Last edited by Ruffles; 11 August 2007, 01:24 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Hot Zone

Rather than look at the whole episode, I am going to try to condense out Sheppard’s actions to determine whether he was justified in what he did; something I have wondered about.

Here’s what I think.

Elizabeth tries to contact Sheppard, can’t reach him on his radio and does not try by loud speaker. She initiates the voluntary quarantine. Sheppard talks to her immediately after her announcement. This is three minutes after he could have come to the control room, but she makes him stay there anyway (no where near the affected area). He stays there.

Peterson starts to make his way toward the control room. McKay tells Elizabeth that Peterson can defeat the ancient technology and get to areas where he can infect others. This is a security situation. Elizabeth never comes up with a definitive way to stop him.

Has it become a security/military situation at this point? The control room is threatened. An infected person is loose in the city. Weir is not actively pursuing a solution with a high probability of success.

Sheppard wants to stop Peterson, Elizabeth says no and tries to lock him in. Sheppard orders Bates to open the door and goes anyway, thus undermining Elizabeth’s authority. Bates had to agree with Sheppard's evaluation of the situation.

Is it a dangerous situation or not? Sheppard believes that they have to assume the worst and Peterson has to be stopped before he can get to the control room, into other parts of the city or even off world. Elizabeth is not taking direct action to stop him. When does protecting Atlantis become a security/military situation? Even though the threat level has changed significantly, Elizabeth has not addressed the change in and appropriate manner.

Sheppard stops Peterson, but he escapes in the transporter to infect the people in the mess hall. The transporters are operational because of Sheppard, so in Elizabeth's view he is responsible for the infection in the mess hall.

Sheppard wants to detonate a nuclear explosion in the atmosphere to create a large enough EMP to wipe out the nanites. Elizabeth hesitates to take action, McKay agrees with Sheppard, Elizabeth finally agrees. Elizabeth is not the one qualified to be making these decisions.

Sheppard should not override Elizabeth ordinarily, but she is out of her area of expertise here and fails to recognize it. Sheppard should try harder to convince her, but there is a time constraint (Peterson on the move toward the control room).

Elizabeth never admits to any possibility that she may have been to severe with the quarantine where Sheppard was concerned or that she would have had to let him try to solve the problem, anyway. I think it can be argued that Elizabeth did not recognize how serious the security issue was and did not act fast enough or definitively enough.

So they were both wrong and they were both right. Life slaps Sheppard in the face, once again, ‘cause he took the blame.
                            Last edited by blue-skyz; 01 October 2007, 10:00 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

aaaahhhh CRAP! LAME! i didnt even think of this, I wish i had tiime to do it though, too much school work. :'(

Comment

Hot Zone

Rather than look at the whole episode, I am going to try to condense out Sheppard’s actions to determine whether he was justified in what he did; something I have wondered about.

Here’s what I think.

Elizabeth tries to contact Sheppard, can’t reach him, initiates the voluntary quarantine. Sheppard talks to her immediately after her announcement, but she makes him stay there anyway (no where near the affected area). He stays there.

Peterson starts to make his way toward the control room. McKay tells Elizabeth that Peterson can defeat the ancient technology and get to areas where he can infect others. This is a security situation. Elizabeth never comes up with a definitive way to stop him.

Has it become a security/military situation at this point? The control room is threatened. An infected person is loose in the city. Weir is not actively pursuing a solution with a high probability of success.

Sheppard wants to stop Peterson, Elizabeth says no and tries to lock him in. Sheppard orders Bates to open the door and goes anyway, thus undermining Elizabeth’s authority.

Is it a dangerous situation or not? Sheppard believes that they have to assume the worst and Peterson has to be stopped before he can get to the control room, into other parts of the city or even off world. Elizabeth is not taking direct action to stop him. When does protecting Atlantis become a security/military situation? Even though the threat level has changed significantly, Elizabeth has not addressed the change in and appropriate manner.

Sheppard stops Peterson, but he escapes in the transporter to infect the people in the mess hall. The transporters are operational because of Sheppard, so he is responsible for the infection in the mess hall.

Sheppard wants to detonate a nuclear explosion in the atmosphere to create a large enough EMP to wipe out the nanites. Elizabeth hesitates to take action, McKay agrees with Sheppard, Elizabeth finally agrees. Elizabeth is not the one qualified to be making these decisions.

Sheppard should not override Elizabeth ordinarily, but she is out of her area of expertise here and fails to recognize it. Sheppard should try harder to convince her, but there is a time constraint (Peterson on the move toward the control room).

Elizabeth never admits to any possibility that she may have been to severe with the quarantine where Sheppard was concerned or that she would have had to let him try to solve the problem, anyway. I think it can be argued that Elizabeth did not recognize how serious the security issue was and did not act fast enough or definitively enough.

So they were both wrong and they were both right. Life slaps Sheppard in the face, once again, ‘cause he took the blame.
                                Good points.

I couldn't figure out why the whole city needed to go into lockdown because of something happening in an uninhabited area. Wouldn't it be better to prevent the infected individuals from returning to the populated areas of the city? Then all personnel capable of providing input into a solution to the problem would be able to freely communicate with each other. This way everyone except a few select people were completely cut off.

Yes, Sheppard's presence in that portion of the city was responsible for the transporter being operable and Peterson gaining access to the mess hall, but how long did it take Peterson to make his way back to the main part of the city? How long did Weir try to talk him out of what he was doing? Could Sheppard have stopped him earlier, somewhere not near a transporter, if Weir had let him go earlier?

I think there needs to be a better means of determining what is and is not a military situation. Weir stated that Sheppard was not the one to make that decision, meaning it was all up to her. It seems like there should be a clearer guideline than, it's a military situation when and if Dr Weir thinks it is.

I didn't like Weir much in this episode. I thought it was small of her to bring up the fact that O'Neill and Sumner had both warned her about Sheppard's problems with the chain of command. I thought it was wrong to bring it up now, after all they've been through. Maybe this episode would have made more sense if it had come earlier in the series.

Comment

Working...
                                X