• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New World (401)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    THE NEW WORLD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 401

The world is shocked when a full day goes by without any reported deaths of illness, injury, or old age -- anywhere. Meanwhile, pair of CIA agents investigate the mysterious name "Torchwood," not realizing that it is connected to the worldwide miracle. In a remote part of Wales, Gwen Cooper tries to keep her family hidden and safe.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 30 September 2011, 02:47 PM.

It was an interesting start. It set the tone nicely for new viewers but didn't bore me with too much repetition.

It also didn't go too dark, as Torchwood often does, for no reason. The gruesome parts were used well.

I'm still not sure what I make of the new show yet, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I liked how time had passed, it didn't just start like there was no time brake.

Comment

I got half way through the new season and I am so glad that Jack is back as well as Gwen! I can;t wait to see the rest of it!
        sigpic

Comment

I really, really, liked it. Missed me some Torchwood, glad to see Jack and Gwen again, new characters are cool, plotline's well developed so far - seriously, they covered more "what if everybody never died" things than I thought they would've (insects, for example) - and making fun of Wales is always appreciated.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Well, I'll keep the positive vibe going! I really loved the new episode. I was sad when it ended because I wanted more Torchwood! But I'll get more next week.

It was good to see Gwen and Jack. Gwen is a little gun happy. I was surprised at her Mother's reaction to seeing her in the hospital. I think its an interesting twist with Jack getting hurt. I hope they're not setting this up for the end of the series.
            sigpic

Comment

This just aired in Australia (I'm surprised we beat the UK, but I'm sure there's a furor around that). I'm quite liking where things are going, and there really are some big questions here. Namely: a) Why aren't people dying? b) Why is Jack mortal now? c) Who was the enemy in the helicopter? d) How the hell is all this going to be rectified?

One thing's for sure... I'll be sticking around to find out!

P.S. Gwen's baby is way cute!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
                This just aired in Australia (I'm surprised we beat the UK, but I'm sure there's a furor around that). I'm quite liking where things are going, and there really are some big questions here. Namely: a) Why aren't people dying? b) Why is Jack mortal now? c) Who was the enemy in the helicopter? d) How the hell is all this going to be rectified?

One thing's for sure... I'll be sticking around to find out!

P.S. Gwen's baby is way cute!
                I think those are questions we all have.
                sigpic

Comment

Torchwood is back!

Really enjoyed it, and was very happy when I saw Jack for the first time. And I'm really curious about the solution of this miracle.
                  sigpic

Comment

Great start so far. Really been looking forward to this.

I'm glad they didn't bog themselves down in trying to catch people up on back story for people who had never seen the show.

My only quibble with the ep was how they got Bill Pullman's character out of prison. Him threatening to sue and someone actually take that seriously. No jury in Kentucky is going to side with some creep who gleefully raped and murdered a 12 year old. Obviously they needed him out of prison for the story, but I thought that was a laughable way to go about it.

I think all of this is happening for the specific purpose of trying to kill Jack. People not dying is just a side effect.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                      Great start so far. Really been looking forward to this.

I'm glad they didn't bog themselves down in trying to catch people up on back story for people who had never seen the show.

My only quibble with the ep was how they got Bill Pullman's character out of prison. Him threatening to sue and someone actually take that seriously. No jury in Kentucky is going to side with some creep who gleefully raped and murdered a 12 year old. Obviously they needed him out of prison for the story, but I thought that was a laughable way to go about it.

I think all of this is happening for the specific purpose of trying to kill Jack. People not dying is just a side effect.
                      I agree. When I saw him getting out of prison, I was like WTF. I thought I'd missed something because I so no real reason for him to be allowed back into society.
                      sigpic

Comment

I though it was a great start. Had a nice quick pace.

I like the CIA guy.

Gwen as a baby carrying gun toting mama....LOL! Rhys certainly has his hands full. I didn't catch the babys name.

Poor Jack, what a nice twist. Did you catch that he used Owen Harper as his name.

So who's behind this non-dying world and why? Should be interesting.
                        Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                        Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                        GateCon Attendee 2008
                        Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

I really loved it so far and I am really happy to have this show back!
                          The cake is a lie!

Comment

Okay so....did anyone else notice that the baby was gleefully smiling during the rocket attack and while Gwen was shooting her pistol at the guy in the chopper?

Really nice bunch of past references in this one. Jack using Owen's name, 456 treaties, the original Torchwood theme song noise being used in both the opening and closing credits. Nice.

I notice that they said Gwen joined Torchwood in October 2006 though, which is wrong. That's when the episode aired. But with the 12 month skip in The Long Game, that means she would have joined Torchwood in 2007, not 06.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

owen's name is even funnier since, in the last season was it? that owen was dead but not dead, kinda zombiefied

rhys' attitude got to me a bit. I know he didn't like her lifestyle and job, but i don't remember him so 'in your face' about it. almost adversarial.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X