Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Marvel films should I watch prior to 'Avengers Assemble!'? -No-Spoilers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Marvel films should I watch prior to 'Avengers Assemble!'? -No-Spoilers please

Question is in the title folks!

Thanks!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Ok.
    The Marvel films you should watch are...

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America, The Hulk (The newer version), Thor.
    They all set the scene for 'Avengers Assemble'. You should watch them all through to the end of the end title credits.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Any particular order?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Any particular order?
        Iron Man, Iron Man2 should be watched back to back. As for the others I'm not sure.
        As I have yet to see The Hulk and Thor. But Captain America can be watched after Iron Man 2.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

We'll when i watched it i wanted to watch the my whole marvel collection of movies so i went

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Spiderman Trilogy, X-men Saga, Fantastic Four (both of them), Ghost Rider, Punisher, War Zone, Kick Ass, Daredevil, Elektra Animated films

but if you just want the Avengers movies then try release order

Hulk, Iron Man, Iincredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor & Captain America
          Last edited by mr_kennedy; 28 April 2012, 02:04 PM.
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Like Starfist said it's best to watch all of them however in my opinion the once that I felt was the most important to watch not long before you see 'the Avengers' is 'Captain America' firstly but also 'Thor', both of them plot-vise but character-vise (I saw 'Iron man' 1 and 2 the last time over a year and a half ago and 'The Hulk' movies even longer before that and I still got it) it's good to have seen all of them, not to mention that they are all great films and will provide a few hours of entertainment. I hope that you'll enjoy 'The Avengers' when you see it, it's a great movie.
            sigpic

Comment

Question is in the title folks!

Thanks!
              Check out the following films...

Captain America: The First Avenger
              Hulk (2003)
              The Incredible Hulk (2008)
              Iron Man
              Iron Man 2
              Thor

Hulk (2003) doesn't really tie in, because the 2008 movie basically ignored the '03 film. It's still worth seeing, though.

The movies came out in this order...

2003: Hulk
              2008: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk
              2010: Iron Man 2
              2011: Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger

As for viewing order, I can't imagine it really matters. However, I'd watch them in the order they were released.

Comment

Any particular order?
                It's Captain America, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk and then The Avengers.

There is a chronology to the movies, so you should watch in that order.

sigpic

Comment

^ What Saber said. That's how I've always understood the chronology.

Don't bother with Hulk 2003 (the Ang Lee one with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly), it has nothing to do with this cinematic universe. And it was terrible.

The only Hulk movie in this continuity is the 2008 one with Edward Norton.

Oh, and make sure not to miss all the post-credits scenes. I think every movie so far has had one.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

As to stuff that isn't out yet, there are 3 movies known to be in the pipe (tentative titles, of course):
                    - Iron Man 3 (May 3 2013)
                    - Thor 2 (Nov 15 2013)
                    - Captain America 2 (Apr 4 2014)

Then there's the two other release dates they've announced for future Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (May 26 2014, June 27 2014) that currently don't have any titles attached to them.

Plus there's been persistent rumours that a Nick Fury and/or S.H.I.E.L.D. movie is in the cards. While there's been no official word on this, Samuel L. Jackson is contracted for more Marvel movies than have yet been announced, so it's still possible. A week or two ago, Scarlett Johansson said that she's hoping for a Black Widow movie down the line. And The Avengers is almost guaranteed to make dump trucks of money, so I imagine an Avengers 2 is very, very likely.

Presumably, all of these will take place chronologically post-Avengers.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

IMO all of the Marvel films from are worth a watch.

I saw Avengers Assemble friday and it was most definitely worth the wait, an awesome film IMO.

From the timeline that sets up Avengers IMO watch Captain America, then Iron Man 1, then 2, then Thor and finally Avengers Assemble.

I don't think the Hulk films are important in the current Avengers universe.
                      I think the first one was ok, Incredible Hulk was better, if you need to watch Hulk films then watch them in Snowman37's order, like this:

Captain America: The First Avenger
                      Hulk (2003)
                      The Incredible Hulk (2008)
                      Iron Man
                      Iron Man 2
                      Thor
                      Avengers

As has been said definitely watch to the end of each film's credits, particularly Captain America, the Iron Man's, Thor and Avengers.

Avengers had a nice little bit, but only read if you don't care to know what I think here:

Spoiler:
                      I think it will lead into Iron Man 3
                      Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 28 April 2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                        Iron Man, Iron Man2 should be watched back to back. As for the others I'm not sure.
                        As I have yet to see The Hulk and Thor. But Captain America can be watched after Iron Man 2.
                        Because of the year Captain America is set in then it should IMO be watched before any of the other films.
                        Parts are very important to set the scene even for Iron Man, IMO they should have released it even before Iron Man, but I don't think it would have done so well on it's own as Iron Man 1 & 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          It's Captain America, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk and then The Avengers.

There is a chronology to the movies, so you should watch in that order.
                          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          ^ What Saber said. That's how I've always understood the chronology.
                          I figure that Captain America's placement should be based on the present-day framing sequence rather than the main story, putting it last of the solo films.

Plus its post-credits sequence is just a scene from and trailer for Avengers.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                            I figure that Captain America's placement should be based on the present-day framing sequence rather than the main story, putting it last of the solo films.

Plus its post-credits sequence is just a scene from and trailer for Avengers.
                            Captain America needs to come first because it's more than just 5 minutes in present day. The entire WW2 story helps set up events in Iron Man 1, 2 a bit of Thor and The Avengers. It works better coming first, even if the modern day stuff is set after the other movies.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              I think Captain America has more emotional punch if you've seen Iron Man 1&2. The reason being is that the father of Iron Man has a supporting role in Captain America. It won't have the same emotional weight if you watch CA first.

Don't bother with Hulk 2003 (the Ang Lee one with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly), it has nothing to do with this cinematic universe.

The only Hulk movie in this continuity is the 2008 one with Edward Norton.
                              I know, I just like the 2003 movie. Say what you will, but Flyboy might like it. Yeah, it's not in the continuity of the other movies, but so what? That doesn't make it any less enjoyable if viewed as a stand-alone film.

Oh, and make sure not to miss all the post-credits scenes. I think every movie so far has had one.
                              I believe the only one without a secret ending is The Incredible Hulk (2008). The scene is included at the end of the film, before the end credits.

As for everyone telling you, Flyboy, to watch Captain America first... eh... don't listen. It doesn't matter whether you do or not, but the point is that a prequel should be watched based on when it was released in regards to the previous stories. Would Wolverine carry as much emotional weight if you had not seen the X-Men trilogy? Would First Class? When it comes to film, I'm a big believer in production order.

Comment

Working...
                              X