Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Ralph McQuarrie

Star Wars Visionary Ralph McQuarrie Has Passed Away Aged 82

Some of the designs in the first three Star Wars films are honestly amazing work. The man we have to thank for this is Ralph McQuarrie, the concept artist who really set the tone for the film, much more so than any other individual. And I’m including George Lucas in that.

Sadly, Ralph McQuarrie passed away today at the age of 82.

To celebrate McQuarrie’s contributions to one of the most loved film series of all time, here are some of his development illustrations for Star Wars. Look at how these images embody everything there is to love about the films… and even go beyond this. I’m not being disingenuous when I say that I love these paintings far more than the films they fuelled.

McQuarrie did much more work outside of Star Wars (explore the online gallery of Battlestar Galactica paintings for some more examples), but it was with Lucas’ space saga that he made the most massive of impacts. Phenomenal, really.

Goodbye, Mr. McQuarrie, and thanks.

You can pay your respects on the Ralph McQuarrie Facebook page.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

What a wonderful legacy! I dream of having a McQuarrie original on my living room wall.

RIP
    sigpic

Comment

RIP Ralph McQuarrie.
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
      X