Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Similarities between Danny Phantom and Stargate SG-1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similarities between Danny Phantom and Stargate SG-1?

Here is a list of several similarities between the Nickelodeon animated series Danny Phantom and Stargate SG-1, which may indicate that Danny Phantom was influenced by Stargate SG-1:

Both Stargate SG-1 and Danny Phantom involve a technological doorway to other worlds (Stargate SG-1 has the Stargate, Danny Phantom has the Ghost Portal).

There are also similarities shared by characters of the two shows. For instance, Stargate SG-1 has a main character named Daniel Jackson, while Danny Phantom has a main character named Daniel (Danny) who is Jack's son ("Jackson" sounds like "Jack's son"). Both shows have main characters named Jack and Sam (Samantha). In both shows there is a main character who is black and has a name beginning with the letter "T" (Teal'c in Stargate SG-1, Tucker in Danny Phantom). Both shows have a main female character whose nickname is Val (Stargate SG-1 has Vala in the show's later seasons, Danny Phantom has Valerie in some episodes). Also, both shows have an episode containing an Egyptian-themed villain named Ra (Ra in the Stargate SG-1 season 8 episode "Moebius," Hotep-Ra in the Danny Phantom season 2 episode "King Tuck").

Both shows have beings who can possess or overshadow humans (the Goa'uld and ascended beings in Stargate SG-1, ghosts in Danny Phantom).

Both shows have an episode in which Earth is phase shifted, or made intangible, in order to protect it from a threat from space (Stargate SG-1 season 10: "The Road Not Taken," Danny Phantom season 3 finale: "Phantom Planet").

In both shows, the technological doorway (Stargate/Ghost Portal) is filled with a fluid-like substance when it is turned on (the event horizon in the Stargate, ectoplasm in the Ghost Portal), and both doorways are equipped with retractable doors (the "iris" in the Stargate).

Both shows have a flying vehicle that can fly into space as well as travel through the doorway [the Puddle Jumper (Gateship) can go through the Stargate (episode "Moebius"), the Specter Speeder can go through the Ghost Portal], and both of these vehicles look similar to each other.

Also, the Fenton Rocket spaceship in the Danny Phantom episode "Phantom Planet" looks similar to the spaceship Prometheus in Stargate SG-1.

In addition, both shows have energy weapons, energy-shield-generating devices, and devices that can make people, objects, or vehicles invisible (cloaking devices in Stargate SG-1) and/or intangible ("phase shifting" or "going out of phase" using the "Arthur's Mantle" device in Stargate SG-1).

Furthermore, David Kaufman, who played Mark Gilmor in the Stargate SG-1 season 8 episode "Zero Hour," also played the voice of the title character Danny Phantom (also known as Danny Fenton).

Lastly, both shows were cancelled in the year 2007.

Can anyone else think of other similarities that I missed?

Are there any other shows that have a similar number of similarities or parallels to Stargate SG-1 or the two other Stargate shows?
    Last edited by Alteran Prior; 12 March 2012, 07:50 PM.

: Yeah; Okay Jack...
    Back from the grave.

Comment

Very similar indeed. Whats the quality of the show?
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
        Very similar indeed. Whats the quality of the show?
        It's basically a comedic TV-Y7 rated animated series that borrows heavily from the Ghostbusters franchise as well as, apparently, from Stargate SG-1. Its quality is relatively good for a Nickelodeon cartoon show, but it's not an overall excellent show by the standards of many other animated or live-action shows. It's certainly not as good as the sources that it borrows from, whether it be the Ghostbusters franchise or Stargate SG-1. It is, however, mildly entertaining for children and adults alike.

Comment

Given how many TV shows have been made, there's bound to be similarities whether they are intentional or coincidental. I saw a few episodes of Danny Phantom. Most modern American cartoons are just braindead trash, but Danny Phantom stood out as great entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Given how many TV shows have been made, there's bound to be similarities whether they are intentional or coincidental. I saw a few episodes of Danny Phantom. Most modern American cartoons are just braindead trash, but Danny Phantom stood out as great entertainment.
            I agree that Danny Phantom is a lot better than most of today's American animated shows. American animated series used to be of much higher quality, but during the past one or two decades the quality of most American cartoon shows has dropped dramatically to the point of being mindless eye candy. Danny Phantom is one of the few exceptions to this trend, but there are plenty of older animated shows that are just as good as, or better than, Danny Phantom.

Comment

*yawn* I could point out all the similarities between The Lord of the Rings and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but I don't feel like it.
              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
                I agree that Danny Phantom is a lot better than most of today's American animated shows. American animated series used to be of much higher quality, but during the past one or two decades the quality of most American cartoon shows has dropped dramatically to the point of being mindless eye candy. Danny Phantom is one of the few exceptions to this trend, but there are plenty of older animated shows that are just as good as, or better than, Danny Phantom.
                I have to disagree. Granted it was brought to you buy the same guy who did "The FairlyOdd Parents" but it's overrated. Once you get used to the premise; the flaws of the characters start to unrravel, Danny is portrayed as the slacker, loser guy (who always seem to be prominent in his productions) who's forced with responsibilities. While it's fun to see him with those responsibilities, I dislike the unintelligence of the character in general. Tucker rolls along as pretentious while the goth chick (while having some interesting character) ultimately doesn't matter much in the sense of the series. Plus the whole "Fairly OddParents" look doesn't work well for it's style. If you're looking for quality animation, one need look no further then my sig.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                  *yawn* I could point out all the similarities between The Lord of the Rings and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but I don't feel like it.
                  Given the high number of similarities that I listed, there must be at least some influence or inspiration that the creators of Danny Phantom derived from Stargate SG-1. It can't all be coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
                    Given the high number of similarities that I listed, there must be at least some influence or inspiration that the creators of Danny Phantom derived from Stargate SG-1. It can't all be coincidence.
                    Trust me, it is; in fact some of the stuff listed came after Danny Phantom. It's not like they watched each others shows and vice versa, again; coincidence.

I mean really, what would you say about two Stargate people being on the crew of "A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up Timmy Turner"; coincedence? We got better stuff to do then argue about this.
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                    X