• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Curse of the Black Spot (3203)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 32
    THE CURSE OF THE BLACK SPOT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3203 (603)
    The Doctor and his companions are drawn to a pirate ship adrift on still waters in the middle of the ocean, threatened by a beautiful siren who is claiming them one by one.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 May 2011, 02:18 PM.

Great episode
    Nice to see that his son did survive in the end.
    Also nice to see that he got go on his own new adventure
    This woman with the eye patch... Who is she?? Seems shes going to be like the cracks last season... quick shots here and there, small snippets of information...
    Also looks like Amys pregnancy test will be an ongoing theme, it obviously concerns the Doctor
    Overall, a slight step down in suspence from last weeks episode (but thats to be expected), but still keeping the standard high

Nest weeks episode looks interesting
    Spoiler:
    The Ood are back!! =)

But I think it will be a one off episode, I dont think
    Spoiler:
    The voice that says Ive killed hundreds of Timelords is going to be related to the Big Bad

Or maybe it will be a set up episode for the big bad
    Have to wait till next week
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 07 May 2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
      Great episode
      Nice to see that his son did survive in the end.
      Also nice to see that he got go on his own new adventure
      This woman with the eye patch... Who is she?? Seems shes going to be like the cracks last season...
      Also looks like Amys pregnancy test will be an ongoing theme, it obviously concerns the Doctor
      Overall, a slight step down in suspence from last weeks episode (but thats to be expected), but still keeping the standard high

Nest weeks episode looks interesting
      Spoiler:
      The Ood are back!! =)

But I think it will be a one off episode, I dont think
      Spoiler:
      The voice that says Ive killed hundreds of Timelords is going to be related to the Big Bad

Or maybe it will be a set up episode for the big bad
      Have to wait till next week
      I agree with all of this.

Just want to emphasise though. Great stand alone (and very clever) episode. The use of colour for the 'Siren', the medical cyan colour very common of hospitals. Loved it!

Roll on next week!
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Excellent episode with a wacy sci-fi twist on what looked like a pedestrian historical yarn. Didnt see the twist with the siren being an EMH coming. No real threat this week, just that classic Who trope of misunderstandings and investigations...very spooky and engaging. Plus we got more of Eyepatch Lady

And yes, the sinister voice in Gaiman's episode is a one-off character called "House", no connection to the big bad, the whole thing seems more like Lungbarrow on Acid.

Comment

Eyepatch Lady said "You're doing fine, you're doing just fine" or something to that effect.. And if that was followed by "I'm going to need you to push, on three"... it wouldn't seem completely out of place..

Eyepatch Lady is a midwife Which would fit with the pictures of Amy with a baby and the whole is she/isn't she pregnant storyline.. The one thing that doesn't quite fit is why the TARDIS is taking so long to confirm it. I know it's for dramatic effect and to keep people guessing, but it really shouldn't take so long!

Is it possible for Amy to be dreaming the current adventures while in some hospital with pirate-themed midwives? Or is she both there and in the TARDIS at the same time? The TARDIS can't get a definite answer because both answers are true..

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            Eyepatch Lady said "You're doing fine, you're doing just fine" or something to that effect.. And if that was followed by "I'm going to need you to push, on three"... it wouldn't seem completely out of place..

Eyepatch Lady is a midwife Which would fit with the pictures of Amy with a baby and the whole is she/isn't she pregnant storyline.. The one thing that doesn't quite fit is why the TARDIS is taking so long to confirm it. I know it's for dramatic effect and to keep people guessing, but it really shouldn't take so long!

Is it possible for Amy to be dreaming the current adventures while in some hospital with pirate-themed midwives? Or is she both there and in the TARDIS at the same time? The TARDIS can't get a definite answer because both answers are true..
            I'm having similar thoughts. Just gonna copy and paste a post I just made on fb;

My brother's girlfriend thinks she's Amy's future midwife (which would explain how she always peeking in like a nurse and saying things like 'You are doing so well! Keep going!'), but I don't thinnk Amy's pregnant with the Doctor's child. I think the Silence implanted her with something as she was trapped in their lair for 'many days' (Day of the Moon), maybe a hybrid of human/Time Lord DNA - That's why the TARDIS scanner is having a hard time determining it lol whatever it is could be giving her visions of the eye patch lady, making her (and the viewers) think she's pregnant.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

One word:

Pirates.

Now three words:
              Pirates
              Spoiler:
              IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!

That is all Hope we at least get to hear of them again!
              If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

I thought that too after rewatching the scene, after seeing all these pregnant theories and it just seems like something all midwives say when someones giving birth, and also, the white background is kinda hospitalish

And for those who are interested here are 2 clips from episode 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gszmg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gszls

Also, Im just trying to figure out the secret message on the Doctor Who site from episode 3, theres been one after episodes one and two on the fourth dimension page

EDIT:The message has already been posted, but Ill put it here too
                All the secrets you seek can be found here on the Webb.
                We found your message! You're alive! But what secrets d'you mean my friend?
                I mean I glimpsed him! and May the gods help him or perhaps you can

Those are from the first 3 episodes

Comment

I liked this episode, but there's not really much to say about it now it's done.

One point that bugged me and the friends I watched it with. There were two pirates in the mutiny, one got cut and the other ran off with the treasure only to burn himself. What happened to the other one? He seemed to disappear from the episode until the end, was there a scene where the Siren got him that somehow me and my friends all blanked?

Also, I don't understand why the Siren was keeping all the crew members, surely she should've let them go after she cured them?

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    Also, I don't understand why the Siren was keeping all the crew members, surely she should've let them go after she cured them?
                    What better way to keep them safe than to keep them in the hospital so they don't get hurt/injured/sick again?
                    If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                    sigpic

Comment

What do you think the Doctor meant when he said to Amy there was something outside the ship staring at him, before he shouted mount the sails

Also, Im rewatching the episode now and your right pbellosom, from what I can see, the other pirate just disappears...

Comment

What do you think the Doctor meant when he said to Amy there was something outside the ship staring at him, before he shouted mount the sails
                        I thought it was the Siren (I keep wanting to call her the Silence) staring through the windows of her ship

Also, Im rewatching the episode now and your right pbellosom, from what I can see, the other pirate just disappears...
                        So we weren't imagining it, good I'm glad we're not crazy. So was that a truly epic continuity error with a cut scene, or are we to expect the involvement of the Silence?

Comment

The Doctor was sensing the alien ship in the alternate plane--this was explained when they were in the alien ship and realizing that the reflections were actually portals into other plane.

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegem View Post
                            The Doctor was sensing the alien ship in the alternate plane--this was explained when they were in the alien ship and realizing that the reflections were actually portals into other plane.
                            Yeah, thats probably what it was, I was thinking more on the side of is that a hint of something else being out there watching them that will be revealed later
                            We will have to wait and see on that

Also, on the disappearing man, I dont think that was the silence, but it could be one of those where your left thinking it was a continuity error, but then it turns out it was all planned, because has Moffat ever made a continuity error??
                            Just because its rare for Moffat to make a continuity error, Im going to go with it being something to be answered later, but I cant think how it would be answered
                            I cant decide yet whether its a continuity error or planned, so we will just have to wait and see

Comment

As for why the Siren didnt let the people go, she didnt know HOW to cure them, no knowledge of human physiology.

Good episode though, have to admit, lady patch-eye made me jump, imagine if she pulls back a TARDIS wall??

N.C

Comment

Working...
                              X