Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would a person really react if they found out about the stargate program?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how would a person really react if they found out about the stargate program?

when Carter was considering telling Pete Shanahan about the stargate program and it's exploits she said something to the effect of
    "you justify it to your self by telling your self they couldn't handle it....but the thing is I think he could"
    what does she mean by "couldn't handle it"? what do they think would happen to a normal person if they found out about the SGC?

I don't know, but personally I would be very very happy that we have space travel to other planets in my life time.

Comment

Do a little dance and try to go through.
      sigpic

Comment

i would love it, not so much if they wouldnt let me thro tho
        sigpic

Comment

I think it would be brilliant, though I'd be a little peeved that the (a) government kept it secret.

Comment

I think it would be brilliant, though I'd be a little peeved that the (a) government kept it secret.

Comment

Watch Season 10, "The Road Not Taken" to find out one possible scenario. It was also stated that on a few other planets, the public finding out about their stargate lead to the destruction of the world - by its inhabitants. Too many sides being taken that led to war and armageddon.

Same thing would likely happen here.

Some would think it was cool, some would be disturbed, some would go right over the edge because their dearly held beliefs about life and the way it is here on earth should be the only possible way for there to be life.

In other words, pretty much any scenario you can think of would be the likely outcome.

Personally, I think it would be cool. Ever since I was a kid, I've thought about stuff like this. Though I'll be long gone before any real truth is discovered about life in the universe.

Comment

I think the first reaction would be like Hayes' reaction:
                denial.

I think people would consider it a joke. then a mass-scale prank. then they'd slowly accept that this would be possible.

however, i think there's no general reaction. some people would freak out, others would be like "meh" and others would be mad, others scared.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  I think the first reaction would be like Hayes' reaction:
                  denial.
                  Pres. Hayes:
                  Now I have to call the ex-President of Togo, and when I'm done, apparently the rest of the world is coming to an end.

Comment

I would want to travel see the universe. Doubt they will be many humans out there..lol
                    sigpic

Favorite quote:
                    McKay: You shot me!
                    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                    Ronon: You shot me, too.
                    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Actually, asking folks *here* is not a very good cross-section of the population. Folks here tend to be open to new ideas and are eager to explore - the universe if possible, their own existence at the very least. Not so with the general population. A great many people are closed-minded, with a center-of-the-universe attitude. Many others are so wrapped up in their day-to-day world, that it would make little, if any, difference whatsoever. Face it, if the mass of the general public were truly *interested* in what's out there, NASA's funding would never be cut, and exploration would be a priority rather than constantly expanding the defense budget.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, i'd probably be one of the people in denial. Having seen so many shows, it would really be hard to convince me that it's all really happening

Comment

the general public i can see freaking out when they find out that earth was basically at war twice (gou'ld and ori), plus there's the replicators and wraith as well.

i personally would be like "I'll keep it a secret if you let me go through the gate or better yet hire me as an anthropologist"
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't think mass panic would be an issue, unless aliens are baring down on the planet and they are capable of making every species on the planet exitinct when a reveal happens.

If the government explained why the stargate has been kept a secret and what's been gained from doing so then I think most people wouldn't go too crazy.

If the beneficial technologies and bits of knowledge are made common knowledge to the population I think most people would understand.

I don't think a reveal would be worthwhile if some massive war and extermination was going to happen, it's like if we got surprized by an asteroid striking the Earth, if it's big enough the moment it touches the atmosphere we're all gonners anyway, so panic before death is just unnecessary, you can't save yourself in that scenario, you can't go anywhere, we'd all just burn.

Basically I think it comes down to "why are you revealing the stargate when you're revealing it" and "what's been gained from keeping it a secer".

IMO once the stargate and all of the technologies gained from using can be perfected and mass produced it'd become apparent that keeping it a secret was necessary.
                            The actual gains far outweigh the reasons for dropping the bomb of impending doom on people heads.

I don't think we'll ever see an SG1 universe reveal to earth now, but overall I think our race could deal with the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              Well, i'd probably be one of the people in denial. Having seen so many shows, it would really be hard to convince me that it's all really happening
                              I agree. I actually think that would be the first reaction of most people. There's so many fake sightings and paranormal things like that, that I suppouse that it would be really hard to convince us.

I, for one, would welcome our new alien overlords (?)

Comment

Working...
                              X