Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a mobile home -- good idea for first home?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a mobile home -- good idea for first home?

As some of you may remember, my wife and I are expecting parents. She is 19 months now and we are planning on buying a mobile home this upcoming month (we are waiting for the land to be ready -- grandparents are giving us little under two acres). My question is to you older, more experienced home buyers, is a mobile home so bad? I know it doesn't go up in value, but I also know that when we are done with the trailer we could always add on and give it a solid foundation, or even build a new home and rent out the mobile home.

But my question is: would it be a good choice if we want to stay in the 300-500 dollars a month, and have a nice home to live in? http://claytonehouse.com/# that is the mobile home we are considering -- it's very nice. With it furnished and all the extra fees, it will be around 60K.

What do you guys think?

I generally don't think (!) but it allows you to travel, so I guess . Plus, you're parent/grandparent/whatever may want to use it and travel around the place once you're done with it

Comment

Sorry...i meant a trailer, or a manufactured home. Is it a bad idea to buy one?

Comment

Same thingie-oh, you know

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
          Same thingie-oh, you know
          Ah, ok, I just thought u meant a rv or something. ok!

Comment

Not a homeowner myself and have no personal experience in this area, but I'll toss out my opinion anyway. Plus I only lived in a trailer when I was very young so basically no experience living in one, though I wouldn't mind living in one today.

Hey 60K versus 120K for a house (and that seems to be cheap for a house nowadays) ....

I say it all depends on your finances and how much you can afford to finance and what kind of loans you could qualify for, job stability, etc. etc. In my opinion, that is what you need to focus on and consider if you want to build your own home instead of putting in a trailer. How much debt are you willing to take on right now and what kinds of payments can you afford...to include house insurance and (depending on where you live) the property taxes...as well as all the other cost of life to include a new child.

I would assume you have already gone to a bank, etc. to see just how big of a loan you would qualify for and what kind of payments you could afford. My sister (in her early twenties, single, and employed as a nurse) just bought a 150K house early last year. She first went and found out just how big of a loan she would qualify for and what kind of payments she could afford and then went house hunting based on that figure.

Since you are not having to buy the land, that is a big plus.

Like you said, the thing with trailers is you can always trade them out and build a house when you think you can afford it and still remain on the same land. I see people who live in trailers for years and then end up building a house on the land.

And I hope the wife is just 19 weeks along and not 19 months. Congrats on the baby.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              Not a homeowner myself and have no personal experience in this area, but I'll toss out my opinion anyway. Plus I only lived in a trailer when I was very young so basically no experience living in one, though I wouldn't mind living in one today.

Hey 60K versus 120K for a house (and that seems to be cheap for a house nowadays) ....

I say it all depends on your finances and how much you can afford to finance and what kind of loans you could qualify for, job stability, etc. etc. In my opinion, that is what you need to focus on and consider if you want to build your own home instead of putting in a trailer. How much debt are you willing to take on right now and what kinds of payments can you afford...to include house insurance and (depending on where you live) the property taxes...as well as all the other cost of life to include a new child.

I would assume you have already gone to a bank, etc. to see just how big of a loan you would qualify for and what kind of payments you could afford. My sister (in her early twenties, single, and employed as a nurse) just bought a 150K house early last year. She first went and found out just how big of a loan she would qualify for and what kind of payments she could afford and then went house hunting based on that figure.

Since you are not having to buy the land, that is a big plus.

Like you said, the thing with trailers is you can always trade them out and build a house when you think you can afford it and still remain on the same land. I see people who live in trailers for years and then end up building a house on the land.

And I hope the wife is just 19 weeks along and not 19 months. Congrats on the baby.
              Good advice! And yea...19 weeks not 19 months, lol.

Comment

this is from the POV of a person that's not a home owner...and lives in tornado alley

60K for a trailer. I hope it's new.

now, i don't know your local housing market, but it's possible that 60K can get you a small house, like 1000 square feet or so. comperable to the size of a trailer i think.

It wouldn't be a new house by any means. Likely the equivalent of a bungalow (and i don't know where you live, or what the market is like. I'm in the midwest and in the center, older, part of town, there are some perfectly nice homes for sale in the 50-75K price range. they're just not brand new.

We lived in a mobile home when i was little, but i barely remember it. they're not bad. they definitely serve a purpose. But, unless they're secured properly they can be a liability in bad weather. Something to consider if you are in a climate prone to bad storms (us midwest, south east, east coast)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

60K does seem rather expensive, but like I said I have zero experience in that area so I have no idea what is reasonable to pay for them nowadays. Housing prices are beyond ridiculous if you ask me. A tract of flimsy looking house were built near me on some pretty crappy land and they sit on probably half an acre each and they were wanting 100K for them. lol. And people bought them!

My sister paid 150K for hers and I think it might be a little over 1000 sq ft but it sits on no land and was built in the 80s in a fairly nice neighborhood but it is now right in the heart of Baton Rouge, LA near LSU and the hospital she works. Plus it's in the part of the city that is being heavily developed so that weighs into the cost.

Yeah, I'd be rather wary of living in a trailer where you are highly prone to tornadoes. Though I assume most up there have storm shelters. My aunt and uncle live in Arkansas in a brick home, but they still have an underground tornado shelter. Just have to watch out for hurricanes in my neck of the woods.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

yeah, if you're on the gulf coast i'd avoid mobile homes. you don't have to get hit by a tornado to lose your home, in fact, straight line winds can be more damaging than a twister...and you stand a better chance of getting hit by them

What i think about is...in 20 years that trailer will be relatively worthless, but a home might be worth the same or more by the time you get it paid off
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      yeah, if you're on the gulf coast i'd avoid mobile homes. you don't have to get hit by a tornado to lose your home, in fact, straight line winds can be more damaging than a twister...and you stand a better chance of getting hit by them
                      If I were right on the coast I wouldn't want to live in one, but I'm prolly 70 miles inland so I'd take my chances. Though Ike came right through here last year....

What i think about is...in 20 years that trailer will be relatively worthless, but a home might be worth the same or more by the time you get it paid off
                      That's obviously the risk you take if this is going to be a long term investment. Luckily I'm not burdened with having to make big decisions like this atm.

If I'm going to spend a 100K, I would personally want to use that money to buy land and slap a trailer on it. I hate living right up next to people. But that's just me.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

this is from the POV of a person that's not a home owner...and lives in tornado alley

60K for a trailer. I hope it's new.

now, i don't know your local housing market, but it's possible that 60K can get you a small house, like 1000 square feet or so. comperable to the size of a trailer i think.
                        That 60K includes all the extra fees and furniture (with all appliances -- washer and dryer too -- and a bedroom set, and and a couch). And it's all brand new. Also the cheapest thing is 70k, its def. not new and that would still make us buy new furniture and a new washer/dryer by ourselves (and the prices are really good -- the furniture is from a local wholesale and the dryer/washer is both around $300 price range).

60K does seem rather expensive, but like I said I have zero experience in that area so I have no idea what is reasonable to pay for them nowadays. Housing prices are beyond ridiculous if you ask me. A tract of flimsy looking house were built near me on some pretty crappy land and they sit on probably half an acre each and they were wanting 100K for them. lol. And people bought them!
                        Trailers can range from 30k-130K, and the more expensive ones are made to take 130 mph winds (of course those are made to be on a permanent foundation -- check out the i-House, really nice). Mine is mid-range, and customized to my liking (starts around 40K).

I live in east tn, and I know that in 20 years the trailer will be worthless, but I never said in 20 years I will sell it. I mighty rent it out, I might remodel and add on to it (my sister rents a very nice, old house that use to be a small single wide but now has a fire place and looks like a very nice home).

And thanks guys, I am not trying to not listen, just clarify (I really should have told you guys where I lived because that is a factor in buying a mobile home). Thanks guys!

Comment

Oh I was just tossing out an opinion, and possibly some advice that you could take or leave. I have no experience in this area, but since my sister recently bought a home, I thought I'd toss out what she did first. And considering the crisis with the housing market and being able to get loans etc. People really have to consider their finances and buy something within their means. It's a big step buying a home, especially if you are a first time buyer. The biggest thing I have ever purchased is a vehicle. course I'm only 30 and single.

And I see nothing wrong with living in a trailer. They can be quite nice nowdays compared to 20 years ago. I hope it all works out well for you.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Oh I was just tossing out an opinion, and possibly some advice that you could take or leave. I have no experience in this area, but since my sister recently bought a home, I thought I'd toss out what she did first. And considering the crisis with the housing market and being able to get loans etc. People really have to consider their finances and buy something within their means. It's a big step buying a home, especially if you are a first time buyer. The biggest thing I have ever purchased is a vehicle. course I'm only 30 and single.

And I see nothing wrong with living in a trailer. They can be quite nice nowdays compared to 20 years ago. I hope it all works out well for you.
                            Thats the main reason I want a mobile home, its about the same price per month as renting, its mine, and it is new AND comes with the furniture i need. :-) But I just wanted some opinions. My parents like the idea, but my wifes dad hates trailers and is trying to get us to buy a 130K house....and I don't know if I can.

Comment

Well don't let him pressure you into getting in over your head because he won't be the one to have to make the monthly payments...along with all the other expenses.

Buying a house is supposedly a good investment, but if you can't afford the payments, you won't be living there very long....
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X