PDA

View Full Version : A TV Guide "Cult-in-Waiting"...

daxterdd
May 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM
The cover story for next weeks TV Guide is a list of the top 25 Cult Shows.

At first I fully expected Stargate to be on there, knowing it has a huge fan base, and was quite disapointed when it didn't make the list until I noticed a sidebar on one of the pages listing it, as well as Alias and 24, as a cult in waiting.

And since all but one of the shows had to be canceled before it recieved cult status (and the one that didn't was the Simpsons which has been going on forever) I felt better. ;>)

It was in the TV Guide for May 30-June 5 which should be available at stores withing the next few days with 4 different covers to choose from.

joshing123
May 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM
I thought the same way - first thing I did was flip through looking for the picture of Stargate.

Jeff O'Connor
May 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I was glad to see Farscape at #4 but irritated that Stargate didn't make it, myself. But yes... cults in waiting.

petzke_42
May 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah...I saw this and was fully suprised at the #1 spot.

dipsofjazz
May 26th, 2004, 11:54 AM
What was the full list?

petzke_42
May 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
25: Freaks and Geeks
24: Absolutely Fabulous
23: Forever Knight
22: H.R. Pufnstuf
21: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
20: Twin Peaks
19: Dark Shadows
18: Doctor Who
17: The Avengers
16: My So-Called Life
15: Quantum Leap
14: Beauty and the Beast
13: Babylon 5
12: Family Guy
11: Mystery Science Theater 3000
10: Pee-Wee's Playhouse
09: Xena: Warrior Princess
08: The Twilight Zone
07: The Prisoner
06: The Simpsons
05: Monty Python's Flying Circus
04: Farscape
03: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
02: The X-Files
01: Star Trek

Cults in Waiting: Alias, 25, Stargate SG-1

Honorable Mention from Me: Mission Hill http://missionhill.tripod.com/index.htm http://www.msnhill.com/

dipsofjazz
May 26th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the list. :)

Elwe Singollo
May 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I'm glad Buffy the Vampire Slayer was #3. Not to be a big 'basher', was Charmed on there? If it is, it doesn't deserve to be.

Sarcazmo The Clown
May 26th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Man, that list is SO outa wack! I can't believe MST3K only got 11th!

Sarcazmo The Clown
May 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
OMG..I can't believe I just used "Wack" in a sentance.... I'm so ashamed... *bows head in tears*

KokiriChild
May 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM
In "Not Another Teen Movie" style: Damn, that sheet is whack!

MST3K deserved MUCH higher, it wasn't a cult where I was from - more of a religion :P

ABYDOSCITY2
May 28th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I think that Stargate SG-1 will definitly be in cult status the minute it goes off the air. :cool:

zebrok
May 29th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Umm, and these are???? I have watched a lot of TV in my life and have never even heard of these shows. Maybe b4 my time? I'm 31. But if they have such a strong 'cult' following I would expect that I would have at least heard of them if not seen their re-runs in TV listings.

Shipperahoy
May 29th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I've not seen the other two but I believe Dark Shadow is a vampire series. I could be wrong. Forever Knight was a great show. Yet another vampire show about a vampire turned cop. It was sort of Angel-esque in that he was trying to atone for eating people and he wanted to become human again. I loved it right up to the series finale which, IMO, was a steaming pile of crap.

Matt G
May 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Dark Shadows is actually pretty recent and involves secret government projects and UFOs - Can't remember much else as I only saw the first ep.

The Prisoner I've heard of but don't have much more info than that.

And I'll take Shipper's word on Forever Knight.

Question is -

What the hell was:

Freaks and Geeks
H.R Pufnstuff
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

meimei
May 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Umm, and these are???? I have watched a lot of TV in my life and have never even heard of these shows. Maybe b4 my time? I'm 31. But if they have such a strong 'cult' following I would expect that I would have at least heard of them if not seen their re-runs in TV listings.

Since I am 44 I have a pretty good memory of Dark Shadows.

Dark Shadows was in the late 60's and early 70's. It was actually a soap opera shown during the day. It was like The Young and The Restless meet The Dark and The Undead. There even a couple of movies made after it went off the air. I remember seeing one and then walking home from the movies after dark. Not bright, but I was a teenager.

Forever Knight was part of CBS Crimetime after Primetime series. There were two or three shows that were shown late on Sunday nights, I think. It was kind of like Highlander. The vampire that wanted to be good with flash backs to his evil past that were related to each episodes plots. It lasted only three years and is just now being released on DVD. It was a pretty good series but they are way over charging for the DVD's.

The Prisoner I vaguely remember but I am more a sci-fi kinda girl. Vampires being part of that genre.

angsty_otaku
May 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
i think it'll acheive full "cult status" once atlantis comes out in july...establishes a bigger fanbase including current sg-1 fans and then sucking in ppl who just start with atlantis :-D

KokiriChild
May 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Dark Shadows is actually pretty recent and involves secret government projects and UFOs - Can't remember much else as I only saw the first ep.

Question is -

What the hell was:

Freaks and Geeks
H.R Pufnstuff
HR Puffnstuff was a program about a witch... I can vaugley remember the theme tune... It's been 18 years since I've seen it :S

Lil Naitch
May 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Question is -

What the hell was:

Freaks and Geeks
H.R Pufnstuff

Not sure about the last two, but Freaks and Geaks was a critically acclaimed show on NBC about the two outsider groups in high school- the "Freaks" ie wierdos, and the "Geeks" ie smart kids. It got rave reviews, but was canceled due to poor ratings (I believe it was on during one of the death days, IE Friday or Saturday nights, when nobody is at home watching TV.) You can get it on DVD now (a special colectors set is available on line.)

Originally Posted by petzke_42

Not sure about The Prisoner, but Forever Knight was about a 100 plus year old Vampire with a conciense who becomes a Homicide detective to make up ofr his past, while others around him try to draw him back into the dark life.

Dark Shadows was a daytime soap opera with a large following. The WB recently canceled Angel witht he idea that they wre going ot bring this show back, but then it wasn't picked up (probably due to the overwhelming fan support Angel recieved- the WB was probably worried about people boycotting.)

keshou
May 30th, 2004, 08:34 PM
My faves in this group:

21: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman....I remember this one. Norman Lear show (he's the guy who did "All in the Family"). Louise Lasser (in long red pigtails) starred as Mary Hartman. Kind of a soap opera satire, very clever. Mary Hartman would moan about her yellow build-up on her floors, while her dysfunctional family fell apart around her. :D

20: Twin Peaks .....great and original when it started, should have ended after one season. I remember it mainly for the dancing dwarf and pie :)

19: Dark Shadows .....I was totally addicted to this show when I was a kid. Aired in late 60's, early 70's. My sister and I came home from school every day and watch religiously. Starred Jonathan Frid as vampire Barnabus Collins and David Selby as ____ Collins (I had the biggest crush on him). It was kind of a soap opera with vampires and witches, jumped back and forth between modern day and historical period. They still air it on the Scifi channel. I've caught a couple of episodes in recent years and it's campy as heck.

17: The Avengers ..... British spy show in the '60's starring Patrick McNee as Mr. Steed and Diana Rigg and Emma Peel. They were just the coolest. :cool:

15: Quantum Leap .....neat concept. Loved Scott Bakula in this show, can't understand why I don't like him much in Enterprise.

14: Beauty and the Beast ......really liked this show at first, but didn't stick with it.

13: Babylon 5 ....maybe the finest overall scifi show I've ever seen. Great story arc.

11: Mystery Science Theater 3000 ....haven't seen many of these, but when I have caught one it's hysterical.

04: Farscape .....great show, great cast, frenetically paced and uneven at times, but one of the most imaginative scifi shows I've ever seen.

01: Star Trek .... still the best. I fell in love with Kirk, Spock and McCoy when I was a kid and this show resulted in a lifelong affection for scifi. Without the longevity of Star Trek I don't think we'd have Stargate or many of the other shows we love.

Adamixoye
May 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM
FYI, you are thinking of "Dark Skies", which premiered at the same time as "The Pretender" and "Profiler". I remember reading a review that said that "Dark Skies" was the best of the three, but it was canceled before the other two. "The Pretender" turned out to be one of my favorite TV series, too bad they never wrapped it up properly.

Mio
May 31st, 2004, 06:09 PM
The obvious solution to this 'cult in waiting' nonsense is simple:

We need to appoint a high priest, write a religious book, and plot world domination.

MAJKawalsky
May 31st, 2004, 06:54 PM

WHAT ARE THESE????? I can't believe I read you right! Let me look again. Yep. There it is. Black on White.

I can't be the only one on this thread who watched the Prisoner. But it appears that I might be.

The Prisoners was an odd British series (only one season if I remember correctly) done in the mid-60s(?). I watched it on PBS about 27 years ago (hence why you probably don't remember it). Premise was a British secret agent quits and is abducted to The Village where every one is reduced to a number. The protaganist, played by Patrick McGoohan, was Number 6. He would try to escape or find out who was behind his abduction only to be thwarted. We never really found out which side abducted him or why (Number 2 would continually ask him for "the answer" but never asked the question). McGoohan's continual stuggle to maintain his individuality ("I am not a number!") was suppose to be a metaphore for the de-humanization of the coming automation age. The entire series is available on DVD.

I saw the article but didn't read enough to find out what defined "cult". A series that is out of the mainstream with a following of hard-core fans?

Stargate should have been included in the current cult list as should of the other two. SG-1 already has a cult following.

Jadestar9
May 31st, 2004, 08:58 PM
I can't be the only one on this thread who watched the Prisoner. But it appears that I might be.

Nope :D I've seen the prisoner too. Although it hasn't been on in a long time. It used to come on after Dr. Who on PBS. Also it wasn't 27 years ago because I am 26...hee hee.

major_gater
May 31st, 2004, 11:01 PM

Me too. My boyfriend in college introduced me to the show. It was really great.

Jprime
June 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Man i feel nerdy... im a fan of almost every show on that list, almost all before they were cancelled. Now in my area EVERYBODY loves family guy. The only ones i didnt watch first time around were one made before i was born. poop that sg-1 didnt make it.

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
June 2nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
I love MST3K! Hooray!

I suppose it would've been "whack" of me ;) to have expected Blake's 7, Due South, or 21 Jump Street to make the list. (...let alone Simon & Simon, but if I want that to be a cult, I'd better get working on a fan base...)

Hubby and I stood in line at the grocery store whispering about which shows we watched (betwixt us: most). But, there should be no shame!

No shame!

So we raised our voices to a normal, standing-in-line level, and the people in line around us joined in.

We are not small in number. :D Long live cult TV!

Check out the BBC Cult TV homepage-- http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/

shinyredpants
June 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM
lets go down this list one thing at a time shall we? maybe not one thing at a time

I dont understand the "cult with this one" how many people actually know of this show? how many people actually watched this show? i'm sorry but when i think of cult, i think of a mass of people who like something...not like...twenty...

24: Absolutely Fabulous
22: H.R. Pufnstuf
21: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
i havent even heard of these

20: Twin Peaks

This one i understand. my dad used to watch twin peaks, and generally its fairly well known. this one i agree with

I havent seen dark shadows but i know lots of people who watch this one...so i agree with this being a cult too

18: Doctor Who

people have an addiction to the doctor who scarves, i'd say this is definitely one

17: The Avengers
16: My So-Called Life

Avengers...maybe, my so-called life...havent heard of it so i dont know

15: Quantum Leap

i DEFINITELY agree with this one. people know of scott bakula for this show, not really for enterprise *but dont get me wrong, i'm really into enterprise*

14: Beauty and the Beast

sort of...its a dying cult i think

13: Babylon 5

gah...as much as i hate this show, yes...i agree

12: Family Guy

yes...i guess

11: Mystery Science Theater 3000

This one is a definite YES, not only do i agree but...just yes!

10: Pee-Wee's Playhouse

I think so too on this one, i used to watch it...but i'm not obsessed with it..

09: Xena: Warrior Princess

I'll agree with Xena but why not hercules? i thought that had a larger following than xena.

08: The Twilight Zone

Again, twilight zone is probably on its last legs...but it still is very well known

havent heard of this one

06: The Simpsons

hahahahaha of course!

05: Monty Python's Flying Circus

i dont like monty python either, but its like this freaky obsession that everyone has so i'd agree

04: Farscape

guh...actually yes

03: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

of all the shows i hate, i hate this one the most. i dont understand what people find interest in the teen angst that is in this show, but people like it, and so i'll agree on this one too *even though i dont want to agree with it*

02: The X-Files

oh, definitely

01: Star Trek

and yes, yes yes yes YES!!! can we say "trekkies"?

Cults in Waiting: Alias, 25, Stargate SG-1

I dont agree with Alias...i thought the show was called 24, and stargate...i think stargate should be a cult but thats personal preference

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
June 2nd, 2004, 08:33 AM
No time to reply show by show, but I'll tackle "Freaks and Geeks." That you've not heard of it only adds to what makes it 'cult'--there has to be a certain degree of "you're in the loop or you're out of it" to make fandoms cohere, don't ya think?

I'm not much for teen angst shows, but F&G and Buffy I do love (not that they're alike in the slightest...other than featuring high school years)

"F&G" --as, probably, all of these shows do -- has groups of devoted fans who, continuing after the show was cancelled (usually at a horrendously young age), circulate episodes via videotapes and downloads. If you're interested, I'm sure you can hunt them down.

It might be a fun challenge to hunt down and watch episodes of each show on the list!

petzke_42
June 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM

I dont understand the "cult with this one" how many people actually know of this show? how many people actually watched this show? i'm sorry but when i think of cult, i think of a mass of people who like something...not like...twenty...

That is what make it a cult show...the fact that not a whole bunch of people like it. If alot of people like it, itd just be a popular show that everyone likes. With your definition of cultness, ANY show is a cult show, because a mass of people like it, and others dont, as with anything. My turkey sandwich with miracle whip is a cult sandwich because some people dont like miracle whip :p .

joshing123
June 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
lets go down this list one thing at a time shall we? maybe not one thing at a time

---

I dont agree with Alias...

I loved Freaks & Geeks and apparently enough other people did as well because it was fan requests that got the show out on DVD (I plan on buying it).
And Alias - definite cult show in waiting. More so than 24 I think. The fans for that show are very into it.

Cult shows aren't about numbers - many don't last very long like Freaks and Geeks. Their about loyal fans... loud loyal fans typically.

I'm kind of surprised that so few people have seen The Prisoner, especially you Brits out there! I had heard about it even before Sci-Fi played it back in their early days when they used to play old sci-fi tv shows - you know, before the became the Stargate and horror movie channel.

Otis
June 5th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Stargate and Atlantis are both featured in this weeks TV Guide as well. We get the pic of the team in sleeveless black tees and it gives a preview of Atlantis. I think TV Guide is finally noticing that the show has fans!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Stargate and Atlantis are both featured in this weeks TV Guide as well. We get the pic of the team in sleeveless black tees and it gives a preview of Atlantis. I think TV Guide is finally noticing that the show has fans!Tvguide practically only covers shows on broadcast, sadly :( But i'm glad they are now mentioning Stargate.