PDA

View Full Version : LOTR - Return of the King

SGSlugger
May 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Just curious...is anyone else going up to their local DVD distributor at midnight to get the Return of the King along with what ever promotional thing they are giving out?

Or am I the only nut? :p

Norlioness
May 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I might, if I'm still up. Who's giving what? do you know? I know that Hastings is offering a Lithograph. But I think the cheapest DVD is probably at Walmart and they're giving away magnets? (I think).

Oh, and the Tolkien books are 30% off at Hastings too.

SGSlugger
May 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah. Walmart is giving away some magnet. That's where I'll be heading, closet place for me.

Luckly though...It's Stargate Monday :D . Atleast I'll be able to stay up until 11, then browse WalMart till 12.

Norlioness
May 24th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I'll probably get mine at Walmart too. This dvd is only to tide me over until the extended version comes out later this year.

Our Monday night SG1 ends at 10:00 pm so I have 2 hours to wait. :(

TechnoBoY
May 24th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I'll wait for the extended edition. I can just borrow this one from other people.

petzke_42
May 24th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'll also wait for the extended edition. I'm not a tool and I will not buy both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or something....Im such a retard)

Mio
May 25th, 2004, 02:39 AM
I plan to wait for the extended version too....I still need to get fellowship of the ring in extended....

Norlioness
May 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Got my copy yesterday at midnight (and a handbag and a purse too - sheesh!). The dvd costs US$14.42 at Walmart. Not a bad price really and when the extended comes out, you get a $5 rebate.

Skydiver
May 26th, 2004, 04:47 AM
i got mine at target, 14.99 and i got free microwave popcorn too.....something i'll get much more use out of than a magnet.

I watched it last night and probably will again sometime this summer before i get teh extended.

yep, i'm silly, i get them both. but then i use the cheaper one to loan to folks and keep the extended for me <G>

SaberBlade
May 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM
like the first 2, i will just be getting this one on video tape next time i put money into the bank.

they are a lot cheaper than the DVD's which for me is good because i am hoping for the extended edition of all 3 in a dvd box set so there is no need for me to get it on DVD so i don't want to pay the extra money for the DVD's just to get it them all on extended DVD at once

Norlioness
May 26th, 2004, 05:02 AM
I watched it last night too. Perfect!! The Sam and Frodo scenes were awesome. And Aragorn - to die for! *happy sigh*

I nearly got the Full Screen version since the extended will be Wide Screen, but, since my dvd player can zoom, I finally went with the WS.

I'm going to watch the Special Features today. I'm sure this is like a teaser compared to what we'll see in the extended version.

Ugly Pig
May 27th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I might have bought it somewhere at midnight if I hadn't already ordered it online. Fortunately it arrived on the release date, otherwise I would've gone nuts! :)

And yeah, I'll be getting the Extended Edition in addition to the Theatrical Version, as I have done with the previous two LOTR films. While I do prefer the Extended cuts, I also want to have the film I saw and loved in the theater on DVD!

oldcelt1
May 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Is there going to be an extended version boxed set of all three films? If so when will it come out in the U.K?

SGSlugger
May 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Is there going to be an extended version boxed set of all three films? If so when will it come out in the U.K?

Some store (Sam Goodey maybe?) was advertising it. They said that it was released on the 25th. If not, I'd imagine that they are going to release one.

Try amazon.com - it usually lists the release dates if you go to that DVD page.

Ugly Pig
May 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Any box set you may have heard of consists of the Theatrical editions. As of right now, even the release date of the ROTK EE is unknown.

Andy867
May 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Well, apparently the EE will be 4 hours and 10 minutes in running time. :D

From DVDtown.com:

11 Oscar nominee "Return of the King" will arrive in a Extended cut on DVD this November. Director Peter Jackson has just finished the edit and it will have a total runtime of four hours and ten minutes.

Elwe Singollo
August 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Well, apparently the EE will be 4 hours and 10 minutes in running time. :D

From DVDtown.com:

11 Oscar nominee "Return of the King" will arrive in a Extended cut on DVD this November. Director Peter Jackson has just finished the edit and it will have a total runtime of four hours and ten minutes.Goodness gracious, thats practically a whole hour added!

ibwolf
August 20th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Goodness gracious, thats practically a whole hour added!

50 min I believe is the exact count. I can't wait to get my hands on the EE. I saw the theatrical cut about 5-6 times in the cinema and I've watched again on DVD. It's one of the best movies ever made. You definately can't get too much of a good thing :)

aschen
August 20th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Pish posh, my friend works at Target. He'll swipe me a copy a day or two before it goes on sale.

Wyrminarrd
August 20th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Wish they┬┤d have added even more and had an alternitive 2 hour ending where the return to the shire was done as it was in the books :D

Elwe Singollo
August 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ooo!!! I can't wait :D

NightGloom
August 21st, 2004, 08:43 PM
Ick... the EE is coming out really late this year. Oh well, I wouldn't get it until Christmas anyway. Although, Denethor running 1/2 a mile off a cliff while on fire was one of the best things ever.

((Don't worry, I'm a LOTR fan. Yes, I have read the books. Yes, I know Denethor did not run off the cliff in the books. I'm just one of those people who can laugh at stuff like that))

Elwe Singollo
August 21st, 2004, 11:39 PM
There are some changed i did like in the movie though from the book, such as Arwen being 'less' absent, haha... Yah, i also thought Denethor in fire running to his death was also a good thing to add/change w.e, haha...