This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming wormholes

We know it's not possible. This is stated quite clearly in several episodes at several points in the series. Matter can't move, but radio waves and other forms of energy can.
    I'm not so concerned with the why. I believe that was actually explained at some point, I just don't remember that. I'm kind of interested in what happens when the attempt is made. I'm a fairly faithful viewer, but I haven't seen every episode (stuff happens, you know?), so if it was covered in one, can you tell me which it was? Or at least which season? Otherwise, what kind of ideas do you have?

Umm usually being such a nerd I could throw something into the mix , but... unfortunately i'd think you'd need a Astro/Quantum physicist to explain It in 'theory'.

Basically the Stargate if it were real, and everything in Stargate was factual, would still be far beyond our comprehension in every sense.

But lets cut to the chase My personal opinion (Yes i might as well have one) is that the matter is being transmitted in one direction, kind of like a diode allows current to only flow in one direction so you can't go through, and if lets say a human tried he/she would basically flow until it reached the 'diode' at extreme speeds then crash and burn .

Comment

the epi when o'neill pretends to join the rogue NID and 'holds the door open' when the asgard come to get their stuff - so the only place they can go is back to earth - o'neill sticks his hand into the event horizon on the earth stargate - and pulls it out again - so the wormhole itself must allow 2 way travel - the gate system must be programmed to send only one way

Comment

Or maybe he hadn't stuck his hand in but simply never took it all the way out in the first place?

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

I think the theory that he simply didnt' take his arm out is what most people subscribe to.

but, in Atlantis 38mins
          Spoiler:
          they pull Ford out of the event horizon.
          Isn't that technically going in the opposite direction to the way the wormhole is going??

I think, if you're able to pull yourself or something else out of the event horizon, nothing happens.

because, as was stated in this ep. the gate breaks you up into the tiny bitty pieces, and can't reintergrate you unless all of you goes through.

I took that to mean that so long as you dont put the entire thing, entity, object, item or whatever past the event horizon, nothing bad will happen.

Comment

well, in other episodes you can "hold" the gate open by putting your hand in,

i belive it dosent disinigrate you until you are actually in the gate itself fully

if energy can travel though it both ways wouldent Ancients then beable to go both ways? like the episode when they find a very advanced weapon on a planet and there in an Unacended ancient there, but in the end he builts his own stargate

its kinda comfusing

Comment

No. What happens is that the event horizon simply acts as a 'buffer'. You enter it, and the gate converts you into a stored energy. If you aren't all the way in, you can still be pulled out, as you haven't been transmitted. O'Neill probably stuck his hand back in AFTER he stepped through, causing the gate to send up some red flags that it can't turn off, or something would be damaged, as you cannot send something partially through a gate. It doesn't work that way.
              sigpic

Comment

well, about O'nril putting his hand through, his hand is dematerialized, but is never sent through the wormhole to the other stargate. that is why he can pull it back out

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                  but, in Atlantis 38mins
                  Spoiler:
                  they pull Ford out of the event horizon.
                  Isn't that technically going in the opposite direction to the way the wormhole is going??
                  They were able to pull Ford out because the Gate only lets whole "units" (for lack of a better term) through, and the puddle jumper was one unit, therefore Ford wasn't all the way through.

Essentially, the Gate was confused.
                  Last edited by Major Clanger; 10 October 2004, 07:20 AM. Reason: adding the spiffy spoiler tag

Comment

Originally posted by Greesha
                    They were able to (Atlantis, 38mins)
                    Spoiler:
                    pull Ford out because the Gate only lets whole "units" (for lack of a better term) through, and the puddle jumper was one unit, therefore Ford wasn't all the way through.

Essentially, the Gate was confused.
                    got that, and if you read the rest of my post...as incoherent as it might be (dang lack of sleep) you would see that I actually wrote something like that.

also.. I put spoiler tags in my post for a reason!
                    please go back and edit the quote in your post to replace them.

thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                      also.. I put spoiler tags in my post for a reason!
                      please go back and edit the quote in your post to replace them.

thanks!!
                      if something happens in the first 5 minutes, i generally don't consider it a spoiler, but since some people do i apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Poet
                        We know it's not possible. This is stated quite clearly in several episodes at several points in the series. Matter can't move, but radio waves and other forms of energy can.
                        I'm not so concerned with the why. I believe that was actually explained at some point, I just don't remember that. I'm kind of interested in what happens when the attempt is made. I'm a fairly faithful viewer, but I haven't seen every episode (stuff happens, you know?), so if it was covered in one, can you tell me which it was? Or at least which season? Otherwise, what kind of ideas do you have?
                        If energy can travel both ways through the wormhole, I wonder what would happen if the Asgard tried to use their transporter technology to send or receive something through a wormhole...in-coming or outgoing for that matter.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think you would like what would come out.
                          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                            This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think you would like what would come out.
                            Let's draft a Kull Warrior and find out!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I would expect the smarts of the gate system would just handle it in the background. The gate can store people, objects etc in its HUGE buffer and would transmit only when safe. Teal'c remained in a gate buffer for an extended time after a wormhole collapsed.

1. Transmitting half a person could end up in an accident. Therefore a person can only begin the journey through a wormhole after they have wholly entered.

2. Objects have been seen to pass through the wormhole and exist on both sides and then return to the original side, i.e. episode "PRISONERS"

3. Two way radio conversation is possible through a wormhole. Isn't there an episode where SC1 is talking to the SGC through a video link? If SGC is constantly viewing the video of SG1 and talking to SG1 at the same time then those radio signals are crossing over in the wormhole somewhere in the middle.

It seems different objects are handled differently. Living tissue has safety checks in place where inanimate objects are given more freedom. lower bandwidth wormhole activities like communications can occur both ways simultaneously. Maybe radio comunications and the like, bypass the buffer and enter the wormhole directly
                              Genetic Memory Rocks

Comment

Working...
                              X