PDA

View Full Version : The extra Chevrons

Thor's Pal
March 5th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I was just looking at all the different threads that dicuss the 9th cheveron and it hit me- what was the point of building the Gates with nine cheverons in the frirst place? they could have just as easly have left the gate with 7.

So- I guess I'm asking is the 9 cheveron model we all know and love the orginal gate model?

Surly when they first started building gates they didn't randomly decided at the design meeting to add two extra chevrons than was needed and hope that they would discover ways to use the extra chevrons. Go back and look at the orginal computers- they weren't designed with extra features that didn't have any use when first built. they were built for a purpose- and when new ideas/methods ect came out, the new models were designed appropiaty. Which leads me to my second question:

Where would the "outdated" 7 and 8 chevron model gates be floating around?

They would still be made a naquada, and they would still be effective for intra-galaxy travel. Not to menchon that SGC could test the gates to their hearts content to figure out what makes them tick and still have the functioning one.

Ok, go discuss amoughts yourselves.

furling
March 5th, 2005, 01:58 AM
fairly good idea actually. If this was true i don't know where they would put the out-dated gates they might chuck them somewhere like a black hole or storage on a secret Ancient planet that has a whole stock pile of gates, ancient weapons, ships etc which is protected by some nox invisibillity (hey a guy can dream can't he?)

Thor's Pal
March 5th, 2005, 02:06 AM
There is a third option that I didn't think of earlier- the Achient had the ablity to recycle the old gates- so they took an 7 chev model threw it into their gate machine and out the other end came the new model.

No, don't like it- I want lots of outdated gates to play with.

furling
March 5th, 2005, 02:11 AM
actually now that i think about it i doubt they would have just disposed of the other gates probably just melted them down, not to waste the naquadah and just remake them

Steam
March 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Im farily certain if they could master worm whole travel they mosyt likly new that they needed the extra chevron for different galaxy and the 9th for what ever reason it is, they would have just made it straighr awayy (soz for spellin)

alz0rz
March 5th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I think they just made it upgradeable, and the 9 chevron thing was their for astethics on TPTB's side :p

Keffler
March 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Im guessing by the time they had tech and knowledge to make stargates they owuld have been to other galaxies and therfore they would have needed an 8th chevron.

Also if there is a reason there is a 9th cheveron wouldnt the databases and Atlantis hold the answer to there egxistance

VBach37
March 5th, 2005, 08:28 AM
It makes sense that the original gates would have had the eighth chevron for inter-galactic wormholes. Hopefull we will someday learn what the ninth chevron is for. Perhaps it can be used the same way as the quatum mirror is used, to travel between alternate realities. Perhaps it allows wormholes within a solar system. OR, it could be that the ninth chevron is used whenever multiple gates are dialed simultaneously, but we don't know it because the ninth chevron is hidden form view on all gates except our own. Maybe when [spoiler: highlight to read] Carter dials all the gates in the galaxy at once, the ninth chevron is used, and we just don't know it.

Steam
March 5th, 2005, 01:48 PM
na i dont think its got anything to do with multiple gates opening as it seems the more chevrons locked the more energy needed, and they would have mentioned it when the gate was updated in avenger 2.0 and every other time they had to open multi gates

Joe
March 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
na i dont think its got anything to do with multiple gates opening as it seems the more chevrons locked the more energy needed, and they would have mentioned it when the gate was updated in avenger 2.0 and every other time they had to open multi gates
But thay where hacking DHD's

Steam
March 7th, 2005, 03:55 AM
But thay where hacking DHD's
what? i just said the more chevrons used the more power is needed to open the worm whole

Balbarei
March 7th, 2005, 06:00 AM
exactly what i think also, more chevrons, more power, maybe to even far galaxies then pegasus galaxy??? just wait and see time will tell!

Metarock Sam
March 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Where is the ninth chevron?
I can't see it on any pics of gates I only see 8

Whistler
March 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Where is the ninth chevron?
I can't see it on any pics of gates I only see 8

Heres a pic of a nine chevron gate:
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/stargate_sg1_o'neil_plate.jpg

Rail'k
April 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM
The ninth cheveron may be a vay to travle to another quadrentof the universe
it is kinda like the country code here on earth.

6thMonolith
April 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Here's my theory on the extra chevrons. The Ancients put a LOT of time into the gate system, and probably knew that it would need to be upgraded sometime. I think that the gate system is just a huge computer, and once a gate is dialed, it looks up where the wormhole's supposed to go, and engages. It might make sense why more power is needed for more chevrons--the gate needs to access the 'gating computer for instructions. The purpose for the ninth chevron could be programmed, or changed, if need be. Then again, if Anubis knew about the gating system, he could have disabled it, or scrambled the addresses to planets. But hey, at least there wouldn't be any protogates:D

SG Zero
April 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Here... So many of these chevron threads oipen... I'm gonna post this again...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the inputs of the glyphs being contellations, which doesn't make sense since at different places in the galaxy, constellations would be different... but regardless, the ninth chevron could not be used to pin point anything more specific than another gate because it chooses an area and the present gate homes in on the other gate.

So here are other possiblities?? In list form!
1. Ninth chevron can be used to open a gate between two worlds Meaning make it open both ways, permenantly perhaps? It would opening a gate between two communities without having to dial all the time and works two way. It isn't used because requires a lot of power. Or more simply, reverse opens the gate meaning opens the gate for the other end for the otherside to travel through.
2. Another dimension, something like the dimensional mirror (I don't remember if it was Ancient in design)... but this would be awkward again considering the inputs for the SG and DHD.
3. Designating which Stargate on a planet/system/area having two or more gates needing a more specific entry making the the glyphs to take on new meanings, a numbering system of sorts.
4. I really like the idea of it being a selector of power supplies. It chooses the offworld gate to supply the power rather than the other way around. This would make it possible for people at Atlantis to travel home if Atlantis ran out of power provided the Earth gate had enough power. This would again force the glyphs to take on a new numbering system. Although this can work corresponding with No. 1.
5. Time travel... Again, inputs would be awkward.
6. Further off the wall, it opens two separate gates none of which is the one dialing. Meaning that the ninth chevron acts as the PoO for another gate. Why would anyone do this? I have no idea, maybe the DHD was broken and a supplementary way to do it was made... but they could do it manually... So again, I have no idea.
7. Farthest off the wall, it opens a larger worm hole for large things like ships and what not to travel through and opens one of the same magnitude on the other end. Instant teleportation of sorts, but the power needed would be absurd since it has to sustain a worm hole without a gate. I don't even support this one...
8. Alternate path for a worm hole to take to avoid situations where the worm hole would travel through a sun and cause destruction like in that SG1 episode. Or may act as an override to a world that has been locked out by the DHD like the blackhole planet.
9. Uhhhh.... fine to a farther galaxy...
10. To another gate on the same planet!!

Yay! I'm done.
~Fin

Tain
April 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I like the idea that the 9th chevron has to do with gating to another gate on the same planet.

Scoobing
April 14th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Yup, IMO it's the best sounding reason. I don't think TPTB have a reason for it atm, so it could just as easily be anything. I like the idea, how would it work do you think? It would just be another chevron, and I remember Carter saying something about each chevron adding a new distance calculation co-ordinate. If so, that would mean a 9 chevron gate would be in some whole new wacky place, that needed the gate to discern between something bigger than galaxies...

Jarnin
April 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM
So... Many... 9th Chevron... Topics... I think... We... Should... Merge... Them...

The problem is that as soon as one of the 9th chevron topics (there are more than 10 now) falls off the one of the forums front pages, someone starts a new one, with all the bad 'theories' having to be refuted again and again.

Admins, or mods:

Please, make one official 9th chevron topic.
Please, make the topic sticky on this forum (science and tech).

Thank you.

aAnubiSs
April 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I sure hope the 9th Chevron causes the gate to transport itself into the sun and then cause a supernova. Poor SGC when they dial a 9-chevron adress. Atleast they'd have an mindblowing ending for the final episode :)

thorshammer
April 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Maybe there were gates with a nine cheveron address, but the Ancients destoyed them. Like they found out that something goes wrong when you dial a nine chveron address or there were in another galaxy with an even stronger enemy than the Wraith and decided that no one should go there.

_Owen_
April 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM
there are two possibilities, the ancients could have easily destroyed and replaced them but, that seems to easy, but we know that the ancients always did things big, they were the ancients, they could have planned for decades what they were going to do with the gates, and not build them until they were completly satisifed, if they were completly satisifed then there would be no need to change them.