PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Jack O'Neill! (The "I will miss Jack" Vent Thread)

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 03:57 AM
This thread is for everyone who wants to express their disappointment about the lack of Jack O'Neill in season 9. Here you can vent, rant, whine and mope with like-minded folks as much as you want to without having to justify why you feel the way you feel.

All GW forum rules apply, in particular:
Respect your fellow forum members!
Respect the actor's decision to reduce his involvement/leave the show, don't debate it!

Disclaimer: so far there has been no official and final statement from any PTB about RDA's involvement in S9! All we know is that he has not signed on as a regular cast member. Therefore all the whining and ranting in this thread is ultimately speculation until there is an official announcement.
Posters in this thread are aware of this and should not have to debate the sense of fretting about unconfirmed facts.

galaxy
February 24th, 2005, 04:01 AM
This thread is for everyone who wants to express their disappointment about the lack of Jack O'Neill in season 9. Here you can vent, rant, whine and mope with like-minded folks as much as you want to without having to justify why you feel the way you feel.

All GW forum rules apply, in particular:
Respect your fellow forum members!
Respect the actor's decision to reduce his involvement/leave the show, don't debate it!

Disclaimer: so far there has been no official and final statement from any PTB about RDA's involvement in S9! All we know is that he has not signed on as a regular cast member. Therefore all the whining and ranting in this thread is ultimately speculation until there is an official announcement.
Posters in this thread are aware of this and should not have to debate the sense of fretting about unconfirmed facts.

Good idea, Feli!

Okay: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I will miss him so much!!!! :(

Willow
February 24th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I hope his leaving doesn't become official as I don't know if I'll want to watch it if he's not in it at all.

CKO
February 24th, 2005, 05:52 AM
well i'll miss him... he's the main reason why i watch the show!

MrBojangles
February 24th, 2005, 05:56 AM
:( times ten.

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 05:57 AM
:( times ten.

Seems like I should have created a few more sad smileys for this thread.

sclairef99
February 24th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I gotta say - he is one of the main reasons I watch the show, Jack makes me smile and RDA is just so darn good lookin'! I will miss his presence in the show, as I have really missed him during his reduced schedule. But alas, i have my DVD's to keep me smilin'

I will still watch the show, but miss the original!!!

S

Grin
February 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Jack kicked ass! he brought comedy relief to the show and it's serious moments. I just feel sorry for the poor guy who ends up having to replace him!

galaxy
February 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Jack kicked ass! he brought comedy relief to the show and it's serious moments. I just feel sorry for the poor guy who ends up having to replace him!

There is no replace for him!!!
Nobody can replace him and every attempt to do so, would be a slap into the faces of his fans.
I really hope this new character (sorry, can't remember the name :S ) has his own personality and is not a cheap imitation of Jack!
That would make it even worse.
Don't get me wrong: I can totally understand RDA's decision...it's just...it doesn't make me miss him less. :(
I think, I could live with Stargate without a Stargate ;) , but Stargate without Jack....that's torture! :S

ChevronSeven
February 24th, 2005, 07:21 AM
The entire cast interaction just won't be the same. The timing and off the wall adlibs between Rick and Michael were timeless! Those two had fantastic chemistry (not the romantic kind, ew). And the show won't be as funny, because all of his adlibs will be gone. Season 8 Jack just doesn't fit right now.

I am gonna miss Rick terribly. I would almost bet that they won't release how many episodes Rick will be in (if at all) because they want the ratings. They don't want a ratings spike just when he appears.

The opening credits just won't feel as exciting. Granted, I've missed those eyes since Season Six, but at least he's been in the credits.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

lionel_pendergast_rocks
February 24th, 2005, 07:59 AM
promoting him to general was just a bad idea in the first place. he's only gone offworld once this season, and he no longer has the mentality he used to have. even though he'll be there for a few eps in s9, i'll miss him being there.

MartoufMarty
February 24th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Well, I'll miss him, but I'm interested in Ben Browder joining the cast.

I don't really want him to leave. He rocks as commander of the SGC.

I don't really know about Beau Bridges being the commander...

:(

I'll miss Jack...

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Don't get me wrong: I can totally understand RDA's decision...it's just...it doesn't make me miss him less. :(

And why should it? Unltimately the reasons for why a character is no longer in a show - them being reasons you approve of or not - will hardly change the way you feel.

It's the same when you complain about something trivial, for example not getting your favorite brand of chocolate at the store. Someone will inevitably tell you that there are people starving - that's correct and it's terrible but it doesn't negate your right to complain and be disappointed about not having the chocolate.
Okay, maybe the chocolate/people starving example is a bit extreme but you get what I mean, right?

Jynjyr
February 24th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Feli. (((Feli)))

I know that nothing I whine about will change anything that's been decided but, it's my perogative to whine if I want to. *harumph* :)

*whines piteously* I'm gonna miss Jack!!!!!!! :( :(

His kick-a$$ attitude, his smart-a$$ remarks, his a$$ :eek: :o .
I'll still have him in DVD's (both Stargate and MacGyver) but, I most likely won't watch S9.
I absolutely respect the man for his decision to spend time with his daughter but, *whines again*
I WANT JACK!!

Hey Feli! You need to have a 'whining' smiley.

galaxy
February 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM
And why should it? Unltimately the reasons for why a character is no longer in a show - them being reasons you approve of or not - will hardly change the way you feel.

It's the same when you complain about something trivial, for example not getting your favorite brand of chocolate at the store. Someone will inevitably tell you that there are people starving - that's correct and it's terrible but it doesn't negate your right to complain and be disappointed about not having the chocolate.
Okay, maybe the chocolate/people starving example is a bit extreme but you get what I mean, right?

Yeah, got it! :D
That's what I wanted to say!
(Actually, RDA and chocolate is a good comparison....YUMMY :p ...but that belongs to another thread. ;))

And now back to being depressed: I WILL MISS HIM TERRIBLY!!! :( :( :( *whine*

Hex.FTB.enabled
February 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
RDA: Come baaaaaaaaaaack!! :(

Jeril
February 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM
*walks into thread, takes one look at the first post and bursts into tears* Nooooo!! *falls to the floor* Why, god, why?!

ForeverSg1
February 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I too will feel the loss of our beloved leader.

RDA is the original reason for my watching Stargate and although I have
come to love the other characters of the show, it will definitely leave
a very empty space in my heart without his wonderful presense.

The lack of his witty sense of humour can definitely be felt in season
8, predominately caused by his limited availability, and I worry how
much the show will change without him being there. He brought a
special element to each episode with every gesture, smile and ad-lib.

His laid back, fun loving portrayal of Jack seemed to bring out the best of
the other team members, and you can definitely see the dynamic chemistry
he has with each of the other actors.

There are not enough words for me to convey how greatful I am that
RDA has given me eight wonderful years and how deeply he will be missed.

ForeverSG1

couchpotatergater
February 24th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Thankyou for this thread, Feli.
I can't actually imagine SG1 without him; just writing it makes me feel sad.
I've tried to be open minded about changes & I feel a bit guilty going on about Jack, as the other characters are great too, but I do love the whole team dynamic with him as the lynchpin.
I'll still be watching (unless things go seriously pants!), but I love Jack to bits & I think I'm in a bit of denial with all the "let's wait & see, it might be ok" stuff.
I'm just about to start on S8 when the DVD drops through the letterbox, so maybe that will prepare me bit more for S9 - I've been looking forward to more Stargate as the Lost City was excellent, but I am a bit worried about General Jack & seeing less of him.
I don't want him to go :( :( :(

blueiris
February 24th, 2005, 09:51 AM
I will miss him big time. When I first saw the promos for Stargate on Showtime 8-9 years ago, I remember being so excited and RDA playing Jack was the frosting on the cake. Jack was what made the show special to me. All of the cast members were and are great, but Jack was the glue.

I'm not sure how I will feel about season 9, but I will give it a try. I hope I like it, but I'm pretty sure "I miss Jack" will always be in my mind. I will also watch just to hear them mention of his name, what he's doing. How many actors create a character that lead you to watch a show after the character is gone in hopes of hearing about him?

*If anyone saw European Vacation, there is a scene where the daughter is in England missing her boyfriend, Jack. She cries out "I miss Jack". It always makes me think of Jack O'Neill.*

Qasim
February 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM
promoting him to general was just a bad idea in the first place. he's only gone offworld once this season, and he no longer has the mentality he used to have. even though he'll be there for a few eps in s9, i'll miss him being there.
I agree

Ruralstar
February 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Feli, thanks for starting this thread and for laying out the ground rules for all of us.

I understand RDA’s reasons for leaving. His dedication to environmental causes and children are just part of the reasons I’ve admired the man for so many years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Richard Dean Anderson is why I turned on Stargate in the first place. I’ve seen the movie and while it’s a decent flick, I’ve only watched it twice all the way through. Kurt Russell introduced us to the character of Jack O’Neill. RDA brought him to life.

The energy and humor so indicative of the character and Rick’s portrayal have been absent in season eight. There are exceptions-Zero Hour-but by and large there is no spark. Jack is not happy as a General and you can see the conflict in RDA’s performance. He wants to be all things to all people. Play a good part, help guide the show and be a dad to his little girl. I’m happy that he’s chosen the latter.

That doesn’t mean I won’t miss him.

The special interactions Jack shares with each of his team are part of what made Stargate unique. Without getting into the fandom politics I will say all of the team. Jonas worked for me because of Corin’s personal energy level and the dynamic of Jonas finding his legs and Jack blaming and later accepting him as part of the team and not a malicious pariah.

The Daniel and Jack friendship is complex and rarely attested to in so many words. It is an underlying theme that brought humor and drama to moments via a simple handshake, a shared grin, or a manly embrace.

Teal’c and Jack, warriors, brothers in arms possessed of a shared mentality. There were moments of conflict and moments of quiet strength. Two that come instantly to mind are; the scene in the Gateroom in Message in a Bottle and the moment on the scoutship in Lost City. These guys understood one another and they cared as openly as they could.

Jack and Sam… How to comment on this without setting off WWIII? Okay whether you saw friendship or love between them there was no doubt that Jack found great pride in Sam’s accomplishments. He tried to groom her for command and he counseled her in her mistakes. The First Commandment and Gemini come to mind. Opposite ends of the series but both illustrate my point. There was something special between these two.

Jack is the leader, the Patriarch of this admittedly dysfunctional group. RDA brings a passion and a presence to the screen. He has his own vibe and it cannot be mimicked or replaced.

I will miss Jack’s wit, charm and easy grace. I will miss seeing that secretive smile that has been largely absent in the last two years. I’ll miss seeing a very fine example of the human male strolling across my screen.

I’ll miss him, period.

Ruralstar
February 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I too will feel the loss of our beloved leader.

RDA is the original reason for my watching Stargate and although I have
come to love the other characters of the show, it will definitely leave
a very empty space in my heart without his wonderful presense.

The lack of his witty sense of humour can definitely be felt in season
8, predominately caused by his limited availability, and I worry how
much the show will change without him being there. He brought a
special element to each episode with every gesture, smile and ad-lib.

His laid back, fun loving portrayal of Jack seemed to bring out the best of
the other team members, and you can definitely see the dynamic chemistry
he has with each of the other actors.

There are not enough words for me to convey how greatful I am that
RDA has given me eight wonderful years and how deeply he will be missed.

ForeverSG1

Well said.

ChevronSeven
February 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ruralstar, Wow. Just...wow. I'd rep ya, but I just did. Beautiful words to describe a beautiful person - and not just in looks, either. Feli was right, you expressed everything that I couldn't. So I'm just going to say Very well said.

dipsofjazz
February 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
((((((((((((Rural)))))))))) That is a great post and says everything I wanted to say, except you do it so much better than me! :D I too will miss Jack so much. :(

BruceDickinson
February 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM

RDA, you will will be missed! Thanks for all the great laughs over the years and those yet to come this season!

I hope we get to see some cool documentaries from you in the future, and I hope you crack some good jokes in those too! Hopefully as long as Stargate is around, you pop in on a few episodes each season. And hopefully you'll also stop by a convention or two to say whats up!

Sir Ruff
February 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Of course they can go on for another 10 years without any original cast or production crew. But that would be totally something else than stargate. I can't even imagine what would SG-1 be without Jack's jokes and the chemistry between Teal'c, Daniel, Sam and Jack. Is just gone :( Teal'c and Jack are just so funny together on the screen.. How are they gonna replace that? Nohow I say. :(:(

I'll miss him for sure :( I don't even know if I care to watch it anymore :( Hopefully he'll be back for at least soe eps.. He has some unfinished buiness ;)

Jeril
February 24th, 2005, 10:36 AM
You know, I can't help but feel a little cheated with RDA leaving. I just started watching the series this year, so although I've caught up on most of the earlier episodes from Monday nights on Sci-Fi, there's nothing like seeing an episode when it airs originally. At least, for me. It just gives me a little thrill to know I'm seeing it for the first time along with millions of other people.
So, I was disappointed that the first season I tuned in for wasn't their best as S8's been a bit lacking and when I found that next season, RDA's gonna be gone... that kinda hurt.
I completely respect the man for wanting to spend time with his daughter. That's honorable and touches me in that deep part of my heart that gets sentimental from time-to-time.
But it still hurts.
*sniffles* RDA... come back!!

Kliggins
February 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM
I'm afraid miss him would not even begin to cover it. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

With that being said; I would just like to say thank you Richard for extending your two-year commitment to eight years. You have run us through the wringer with your performances, taking us from out-loud laughter to crying in the pillow and everything in between. It has been oh sooooooooo much fun and I am so grateful for every second of the experience. Again, thank you. :D :) :D :) :D :)

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hey Feli! You need to have a 'whining' smiley.

Yes. Although I don't think Darren would approve of adding a smiley just for the purpose of this thread. :)

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 12:55 PM
(Actually, RDA and chocolate is a good comparison....YUMMY :p ...but that belongs to another thread. ;))

Oh yes! Remind me to talk about Milka Tiramisu there!

couchpotatergater
February 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Wow! There are some wonderful, eloquent posts here. It makes me sad reading them, but the range of things that everyone admires about RDA/Jack just sums up what a fantastic character has been brought to life by an amazing actor.
Maybe it's the fact that Richard is such a caring & interested person, about his family & also the world around him, has been what's given him the ability put the sparkle & the life into Jack; to make him human.
I forgot to say it in my earlier post - it was all about Jack, but some of the posts I've just read have made me want to add it now - thank you RDA :) !

Steam
February 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Im not disapointed just saddened :( I would still want jack back

Feli
February 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I will miss Jack’s wit, charm and easy grace. I will miss seeing that secretive smile that has been largely absent in the last two years. I’ll miss seeing a very fine example of the human male strolling across my screen.

I’ll miss him, period.

To the point!

See, I knew I'd just have to wait for you to post. :)

Ruralstar
February 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
You know, I can't help but feel a little cheated with RDA leaving. I just started watching the series this year, so although I've caught up on most of the earlier episodes from Monday nights on Sci-Fi, there's nothing like seeing an episode when it airs originally. At least, for me. It just gives me a little thrill to know I'm seeing it for the first time along with millions of other people.
So, I was disappointed that the first season I tuned in for wasn't their best as S8's been a bit lacking and when I found that next season, RDA's gonna be gone... that kinda hurt.
I completely respect the man for wanting to spend time with his daughter. That's honorable and touches me in that deep part of my heart that gets sentimental from time-to-time.
But it still hurts.
*sniffles* RDA... come back!!

Jeril, I completely understand what you mean about watching the series as it airs as opposed to catching up. I feel different somehow than the newer fans. I'm not better or anything, I just feel different having lived through the last eight years, three of them as part of the online craziness.

We'll all miss him whether we're six months in or have been here for the long ride. :(

Ruralstar
February 24th, 2005, 02:04 PM
To the point!

See, I knew I'd just have to wait for you to post. :)

Thanks for giving myself and all the others here a chance to vent. (((((Feli)))))

Ruralstar
February 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
((((((((((((Rural)))))))))) That is a great post and says everything I wanted to say, except you do it so much better than me! :D I too will miss Jack so much. :(

Ruralstar, Wow. Just...wow. I'd rep ya, but I just did. Beautiful words to describe a beautiful person - and not just in looks, either. Feli was right, you expressed everything that I couldn't. So I'm just going to say Very well said.

Thanks girls

Jynjyr
February 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Feli, thanks for starting this thread and for laying out the ground rules for all of us.

I understand RDA’s reasons for leaving. His dedication to environmental causes and children are just part of the reasons I’ve admired the man for so many years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Richard Dean Anderson is why I turned on Stargate in the first place. I’ve seen the movie and while it’s a decent flick, I’ve only watched it twice all the way through. Kurt Russell introduced us to the character of Jack O’Neill. RDA brought him to life.

The energy and humor so indicative of the character and Rick’s portrayal have been absent in season eight. There are exceptions-Zero Hour-but by and large there is no spark. Jack is not happy as a General and you can see the conflict in RDA’s performance. He wants to be all things to all people. Play a good part, help guide the show and be a dad to his little girl. I’m happy that he’s chosen the latter.

The special interactions Jack shares with each of his team are part of what made Stargate unique. Without getting into the fandom politics I will say all of the team. Jonas worked for me because of Corin’s personal energy level and the dynamic of Jonas finding his legs and Jack blaming and later accepting him as part of the team and not a malicious pariah.

The Daniel and Jack friendship is complex and rarely attested to in so many words. It is an underlying theme that brought humor and drama to moments via a simple handshake, a shared grin, or a manly embrace.

Teal’c and Jack, warriors, brothers in arms possessed of a shared mentality. There were moments of conflict and moments of quiet strength. Two that come instantly to mind are; the scene in the Gateroom in Message in a Bottle and the moment on the scoutship in Lost City. These guys understood one another and they cared as openly as they could.

Jack and Sam… How to comment on this without setting off WWIII? Okay whether you saw friendship or love between them there was no doubt that Jack found great pride in Sam’s accomplishments. He tried to groom her for command and he counseled her in her mistakes. The First Commandment and Gemini come to mind. Opposite ends of the series but both illustrate my point. There was something special between these two.

Jack is the leader, the Patriarch of this admittedly dysfunctional group. RDA brings a passion and a presence to the screen. He has his own vibe and it cannot be mimicked or replaced.

I’ll miss him, period.

I know I should snip this. But, *sniffle, sniffle*. "Wahhhhhhh." :(
Better than I could have said. (((Rural)))

major_flaming_toaster
February 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Frankly, I can't believe the series is continuing without RDA in the first place. I heard he may be back for a few episodes, but really, come on, without Jack O'Neill there is no Stargate. (Not to say there's anything wrong with the other actors) I am so disappointed I might not even watch season 9 :eek:

Jeril
February 24th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Jeril, I completely understand what you mean about watching the series as it airs as opposed to catching up. I feel different somehow than the newer fans. I'm not better or anything, I just feel different having lived through the last eight years, three of them as part of the online craziness.

We'll all miss him whether we're six months in or have been here for the long ride. :(
I totally know what you mean. Living through a series, from beginning to end, really makes a difference somehow. I'm a X-Phile and I watched practically each new episode as they aired, through all nine seasons, and that makes me different from the people that jumped on the bandwagon in the fifth season or so.
Having watched a show for that long, it makes you more intune with it, in a way. As you grow and change, so does the show and the characters on it, and you feel a deeper connection with them rather than having seen the whole of season one in two days in a marathon with your friends. It does make quite a difference and I wish I had discovered SG-1 at the beginning. :(

Uber
February 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I gotta say - he is one of the main reasons I watch the show, Jack makes me smile and RDA is just so darn good lookin'! I will miss his presence in the show, as I have really missed him during his reduced schedule. But alas, i have my DVD's to keep me smilin'

S
I like how someone described him on another thread: "the coolness that is O'Neill." That sums it up for me.

He's a great character - funny, sexy, strong, flawed (all the best characters are). Even when he's only on for a few minutes - it still seems to be a necessary part of a show. This is meant in no way to disrespect the rest of the team because I love them all - but O'Neill is...well, O'Neill.

I understand RDA's desire to want to be with his daughter (I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?) but the show without him will seem like a whole new show I think. This doesn't mean I won't watch it - because I will - because I'm an SG-1 diehard.

To say that I'll miss him is a complete understatement - I wish we could set up a petition and have it signed by all of us urging him to participate more than a little in Season 9....

Hathor999
February 25th, 2005, 12:38 AM
What can I say...I will miss Jack. He is IMO one of the most human characters in a science fiction show ever.Richard Dean Anderson portraid not only Jack´s courage and his sense for humour and his caring perfectly but gave us glimpses of Jack´s darker sides: his sadness and sometimes his anger and desperation, too. That made Jack to much more than the typical wisecracking space hero.
And the chemistry between the members of SG 1 was a wonderfull thing to watch. It was the reason why I followed the show through all the years despite that I was in the last couple of years not always happy with the direction in which the show had gone.
I respect and admire RDA´s decision to spend his time with his daughter but that can´t change that I still wish he had decided to come back for some episodes ( the 3 episodes in season 6 in which MS appeared were for me some of the best episodes the show had ever done).
Stargate SG 1 will for me always be the story of Jack and Daniel and Sam and Teal´c.
I will miss Jack (and RDA) very much. Without him isn´t it any longer the Stargate I loved :( .

Jynjyr
February 25th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I like how someone described him on another thread: "the coolness that is O'Neill." That sums it up for me.
<snip>
I understand RDA's desire to want to be with his daughter (I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?)
<snip>
I don't believe his daughter lives with him full time. Her mother lives in LA as well. IMO, he's trying to be as involved as a "non-custodial" parent can be. When she gets older, she can choose which parent with which to live.
Even if she lived with him in Vancouver, a shooting day is a looooonnnnggg day. He'd wouldn't get to see her anyway.
I hate to see RDA / Jack leave but, think of this. How many people can only WISH that they could spend more time with their kids? I know that most of the people I work with would drop this job like a hot potato if they had the financial security to do so.

I've babbled on long enough. Now I'm getting depressed again. Time for a trip to the Gutter. :)

Steam
February 25th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I don't believe his daughter lives with him full time. Her mother lives in LA as well. IMO, he's trying to be as involved as a "non-custodial" parent can be. When she gets older, she can choose which parent with which to live.
Even if she lived with him in Vancouver, a shooting day is a looooonnnnggg day. He'd wouldn't get to see her anyway.
I hate to see RDA / Jack leave but, think of this. How many people can only WISH that they could spend more time with their kids? I know that most of the people I work with would drop this job like a hot potato if they had the financial security to do so.

I've babbled on long enough. Now I'm getting depressed again. Time for a trip to the Gutter. :)
Pfft my parents cant wait for us to leave lol

Madeleine
February 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?

TO ALL:

Please, no speculation or comments on RDA's daughter's personal business. It's legitimate to comment (within reason) on RDA's publicly stated desire for more family time. But no discussion of his child or of any matters that are a part of her private life; that is off-limits for this forum.

Thanks.

Madeleine
GW Moderator

sueKay
February 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I am saddened that RDA is leaving and I admire and respect his decision to do so.

I've been watching now for a year, and Jack had grown on me, and continues to do so with every episode even if he has been scowling a lot this year

I lvoe his interraction with every team member, his loyalty, sense of humour, devotion to duty and of course...the air of myster still surrounding him.

We also have to remember...this shoe to us is just entertainment (at it's very best mind you) but it's his entire life. That's infinitely more important than us getting a few hours of TV each week.

I for one will watch s9 and hope for a guest appearance or two. I'm not too certain he'll be able to stay away, and I hope if there is a season ten, that he'll come back to the show.

Zoser
February 25th, 2005, 10:11 AM
well i'll miss him... he's the main reason why i watch the show!
Love sci fi, love mythology and anything to do with ancient cultures but the above says it in a nutshell - it's all about Jack O'Neill.
I would like to thank RDA for bringing to life this fascinating character.

melpomene
February 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Jack is my favorite SG-1 character. I mean, I truly absolutely love and adore that man.
From his charm and sweetness. HIs caring and comforting. to the "Salty bad tempered insults" Daniel complained about in Forever In a Day. I've come to admire everything about him and He's the very reason I started watching Stargate SG-1. The reason I discovered S/F. RDA's name was always both literally and metaphorically above the title for me. And I can't imagine Gate without him. I miss him already.

RDAfan61
February 25th, 2005, 11:22 AM
A lot of what has been said here is how I feel as well, especially by Rural very nice post, but to truely vent I must say it myself anyway and hopefully it will make me feel an iota better. ;)

Anyway, I came to the show because of RDA. I am a huge fan of his since day one of MacGyver and I had to see what this new show would be like. Turned out to be quite a show with great characters I came to know and like very much and great adventures they all had together. Then later when there became less and less of Jack I found I wasn't enjoying the show as much as I used to. The team comraderie and Jack's commanding presence in more than just rank were sorely missing. These days I look forward to the usually about 5 mins of screen time we get from him, it makes the show for me.

I wish the show had ended this year with him leaving. Actually I wish it had ended last year before he was off SG1 and stuck on base most of the time. It would have been great for me to see Jack and the others in a TV movie or on the big screen even. The show will not be Stargate SG1 to me any longer, especially in the beginning when Amanda won't even be there as well. I guess I will still watch to see what they do with it but I will be saving quite a bit of money in DVDs, magazines, trading cards, etc.

I thank RDA for giving us his presence in the show this long, I'm going to horribly miss seeing him on my TV screen even for just a few moments every week. I hope he won't be gone from TV forever.

:( times an infinite number <Sob>
Shelly

Ruralstar
February 25th, 2005, 11:43 AM
A lot of what has been said here is how I feel as well, especially by Rural very nice post, but to truely vent I must say it myself anyway and hopefully it will make me feel an iota better. ;)

Anyway, I came to the show because of RDA. I am a huge fan of his since day one of MacGyver and I had to see what this new show would be like. Turned out to be quite a show with great characters I came to know and like very much and great adventures they all had together. Then later when there became less and less of Jack I found I wasn't enjoying the show as much as I used to. The team comraderie and Jack's commanding presence in more than just rank were sorely missing. These days I look forward to the usually about 5 mins of screen time we get from him, it makes the show for me.

I wish the show had ended this year with him leaving. Actually I wish it had ended last year before he was off SG1 and stuck on base most of the time. It would have been great for me to see Jack and the others in a TV movie or on the big screen even. The show will not be Stargate SG1 to me any longer, especially in the beginning when Amanda won't even be there as well. I guess I will still watch to see what they do with it but I will be saving quite a bit of money in DVDs, magazines, trading cards, etc.

I thank RDA for giving us his presence in the show this long, I'm going to horribly miss seeing him on my TV screen even for just a few moments every week. I hope he won't be gone from TV forever.

:( times an infinite number <Sob>
Shelly

Well said, Shelly. It should have ended in season seven. Alas, what's done is done. Here in the states we have five episodes left to go. I'm glad I haven't gotten these shows from alternate sources as I'm savoring these last few to the bitter end.

Next year is the start of a brand new series with some of the same trappings. It will never be SG-1 again without RDA.

Uber
February 25th, 2005, 07:27 PM
TO ALL:

Please, no speculation or comments on RDA's daughter's personal business. It's legitimate to comment (within reason) on RDA's publicly stated desire for more family time. But no discussion of his child or of any matters that are a part of her private life; that is off-limits for this forum.

Thanks.

Madeleine
GW Moderator
No disrespect intended - I just wondered if others knew if this was an option he had pursued...

In fact I posted elsewhere that I admire him for wanting to spend more time with his daughter.... a lot of parents don't care one way or the other about their kids and he's willing to walk away from a super successful career for her.

Of course it's a bittersweet admiration, since that means we'll miss out on seeing him... :(

SG-1ssm
February 25th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Why doesn't he bring his danter to Vancover with him??? Then he could spend all time he wants.

gatebee
February 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
RDA is an amazing actor. He brought to our living rooms 42 minutes of entertainmnet for 7 years as Mac and 8 years as O'Niell. He has graced us in other tv ventures some of which I have not seen but have heard are good. We are lucky to see him repeatedly in reruns and for those who can afford in dvd or vhs. To you Mr. Anderson, I give thanks for all those days and hours that you have given me time to have fun watching you act. I will miss you as Jack O'Niell. To you sir, I offer good luck, God bless and good health and most of all enjoy your life with the one that matters the most, your family.
THANK YOU.

Feli
February 26th, 2005, 04:41 AM
No disrespect intended - I just wondered if others knew if this was an option he had pursued...

I know that there was no disrespect intended! I'd just prefer this thread to be about our feelings about the fact that there will be much less Jack (if any) in S9.

Personally I can't find enough sad smileys to express my opinion on that!:(

Livi2Jack
February 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
We want Jack !!!

Consider my whining as filed. Now....HOW do we GET him back?

Filming starts this week and he is home with a broken ankle for another six weeks or so. So he's not going to be in all of it. Let's hope he gets bored and wants to come back.

I have enjoyed Gen. Jack in S8, especially in Threads when he tells off Baal and Jacob. THAT's the Jack I love. He had lots of attitude, smarts, sense of self and place. If they would give us lots of that, it would be cool.

But the days of Action Jack are numbered anyway. I read an RDA interview post S7 when he was talking about doing the same old thing versus the Gen. Jack premise which would let him try some new stuff. Guess he got tired of that too. It is a shame. If you look at the last few years, there was precious little emotion showing based upon how the part was written. How could he sink his teeth into the role? The only thing he was required to do most of the time was sit or stand there and listen to Carter prattle on, then give the requisite grunt or grimace. He could do it in his sleep and he did sleepwalk some of it.

Now S8 has been a big improvement versus S7. He had to grow the part. But if we send him to the Pentagon for Homeworld security, then it would take a great effort by the writers to give him a really worthwhile scenario. Action Hammond was an awful idea in PU. So where does it put storylines for RDA in that role?

sueKay
February 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I have a feeling that if there is a season ten or a movie, that RDA will come back.

By that point, he may be wanting to come back to acting (he is a self confessed work a holic) and Wylie will be older.

...but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's a tip on how to survive an RDA-less year.

1. fill any gaps in your Stargate DVD collection.
2. ration yourself to one episode a day.
3. buy the new MacGyver DVDs on their release date.
4. ration yourself to one epsiode of MacGyver a day.
5. Go online and buy all his films or...

6. the cheapest option...set up home in the thunk thread!

tsaxlady
February 26th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I agree with so much of what has been said so I will keep it brief - while I will watch S9 - I will MISS JACK/RDA :(

Feli
February 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM
It is a shame. If you look at the last few years, there was precious little emotion showing based upon how the part was written. How could he sink his teeth into the role? The only thing he was required to do most of the time was sit or stand there and listen to Carter prattle on, then give the requisite grunt or grimace. He could do it in his sleep and he did sleepwalk some of it.

The question is: was there an alternative? Was there anything more 'meaningful' the writers could have given him to do considering RDA's reduced schedule?

And to keep this thread on topic: even the Jack we had in S7 and S8 - although he wasn't as much fun to watch as in previous seasons - would have been better than no Jack in S9 in my book.

Livi2Jack
February 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Just discussing and whining about why and how we lost RDA/Jack.

Yes, I believe there were alternatives limited only by imagination. Some eps could have been tilted differently...Heroes...Jack could have had more dynamic with the reporter. As Gen. Jack, could have seen him agonize more on decisions, or get really frustrated and show it, give it to Daniel when he was whining, etc. Loved how they wrote the Jack/Baal parts.

Ruralstar
February 28th, 2005, 03:01 AM
The question is: was there an alternative? Was there anything more 'meaningful' the writers could have given him to do considering RDA's reduced schedule?

And to keep this thread on topic: even the Jack we had in S7 and S8 - although he wasn't as much fun to watch as in previous seasons - would have been better than no Jack in S9 in my book.

Actually I will agree with Liv in the sleep walking comment. Absent Jack coupled with a poorly written character are not an alternative for me to an absent RDA. If we can't have a semblance of the smart, snappy character we used to have I opt out of the sullen, OTT snark that has characterized a good part of season eight. Jack is not meant to stand around looking bored while others talk and then casting lackluster decisions that don't feel like decisions at all but are instead apathetic commentary.

It sounds harsh and again I understand the reason for the absence. I don't resent those reasons in the least, as a parent I can totally understand. That said I don't want a repeat of the last year. By and large it just hasn't been a good ride.

Feli
February 28th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Actually I will agree with Liv in the sleep walking comment. Absent Jack coupled with a poorly written character are not an alternative for me to an absent RDA. If we can't have a semblance of the smart, snappy character we used to have I opt out of the sullen, OTT snark that has characterized a good part of season eight. Jack is not meant to stand around looking bored while others talk and then casting lackluster decisions that don't feel like decisions at all but are instead apathetic commentary.

It sounds harsh and again I understand the reason for the absence. I don't resent those reasons in the least, as a parent I can totally understand. That said I don't want a repeat of the last year. By and large it just hasn't been a good ride.

I agree with you for the most part. Absent Jack is much better than sleep-walking Jack or poorly-written Jack! Not to mention Citizen Joe Jack.
AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!

But in most eps of S7 and S8 I've usually been able to find a little scene or two with the Jack I like and those scenes are the reason I said that I would rather have that Jack than no Jack at all. I don't know, maybe my expectations are just really, really low, therefore I'm satisfied with only sparks of the Jack we came to love and admire so much.

Feli
March 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
At least that's the way it seems to be.

gatebee
March 1st, 2005, 12:50 PM
I will miss RDA terrible because "he was the man". I started watching it because he was on it.

Kirara
March 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
I^m sad that Jack will be gone in season 9. I think it's true that Daniel was SG 1 soul,
it^s spiritual side but Jack was for me SG 1 heart...The one who hold the team together
I want just say "thank you" to Richard Dean Anderson for many wonderfulll episodes...I will
miss Jack.

I read that some fans say that Jack changed too much. I have still not seen season 8
I^m not very long a Stargate fan.I know only episdes from season 1,5 and 7 and maybe I should keep because of it my opinion to myself, but watching episodes from different seasons together let me think that all have changed over see time very much.
In season 1 SG 1 enjoyed exploring the universe, in season 5 they were much harder and angry and in season 7 a little tired and disappointed but not only Jack but all of them.And as I watched last week Atlantis: Rising Daniel and Jack both were for me more like their older selfes than their selfes from the later seasons . So maybe has it as much to do with scripts and what kind of mood the director wants for an episode as with the actors?

UncommonDissent1938
March 1st, 2005, 07:47 PM
I'm gonna miss him. But, I'm looking forward to season nine.

This actually surprises me, since O'Neill is my favorite character on SG1. I have enjoyed the episodes I've watched this season, and just enjoy the writing overall and find that because of that, I'm not dreading watching a season nine sans my favorite character. I'm still holding out hope that Mr. Anderson will show up on a couple of eps next season, though.

I also think adding the new characters will add a fresh new dynamic to the show. The show is doing a good job IMO right now, but there's only so much you can do with eight years worth of the same characters, no matter how good you are, and thus, I'm glad they did not wait until it direly needed to be fixed (read: until the plots were as stale as day old bread, and the characters became mere caricatures of themselves) before they decided to do something. I'm looking forward to the new cast additions as well as the return of Claudia Black's character ... who, btw, kicked butt (both literally and figuratively ::grin::) on 'Prometheus Unbound,' even though I've never seen a single ep. of Farscape. The writers just did that great a job with her. You know, I like the way TPTB write females. A great deal better than other SF shows I've watched - they're either men in drag, or just there as window-dressing.

But, I digress. All in all, even though I'm going to miss Jack - after all, he was written to be so wonderfully unpretentious and funny - I think the show is still so well-written that I'm not as disappointed about it as I might've been.
It just makes it a little easier for me to be pragmatic about the loss.

UD'38 ;)

Uber
March 1st, 2005, 11:35 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with that last statement.

Consider, for instance, Prometheus Unbound where we saw Jack play off of Daniel and General Hammond... I smiled all the way through it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing him in an episode really makes it for me... and looking back the few episodes that I didn't prefer have one thing in common: Jack either wasn't in them - the rare exception to that was Full Circle, in which he was heavily featured, but I didn't get the point of other than it seemed to me that the writers wanted to kill off all the Abydosians. I mean, what was the point? It was the first and last mention of the Eye of Ra... but I digress... (I got distracted there didn't I? Dang.)

For me, just seeing him there even for a few minutes helps round off an episode and makes it seem balanced...

Sister Spooky
March 2nd, 2005, 12:20 AM
Sad to see Jack Go But I Respect Mr. Anderson's Wishes and I Hope he Enjoys Family Life. SG-1 just wont be The Same without him, Just like CSI: Miami aint the Same Without Tim Speedle (He died In the Season 3 Opener of CSI: Miami. and he was The Favorite CSI With all the CSI: Miami Fans).

Feli
March 2nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with that last statement.

Consider, for instance, Prometheus Unbound where we saw Jack play off of Daniel and General Hammond... I smiled all the way through it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing him in an episode really makes it for me... and looking back the few episodes that I didn't prefer have one thing in common: Jack either wasn't in them - the rare exception to that was Full Circle, in which he was heavily featured, but I didn't get the point of other than it seemed to me that the writers wanted to kill off all the Abydosians. I mean, what was the point? It was the first and last mention of the Eye of Ra... but I digress... (I got distracted there didn't I? Dang.)

For me, just seeing him there even for a few minutes helps round off an episode and makes it seem balanced...

*looks confused*

But then you are agreeing with me, aren't you? I said I prefer having a little of Jack to no Jack and I prefer having Jack who seems a bit off to having no Jack.
Of course I'm speaking generally! Sometimes Jack seems so way off that I'd rather he weren't in the episode but most of the time a short good scene with him can redeem an ep for me.

Lord Zedd
March 2nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
He I saw this thread just and well I have some serious thoughts about season 9 since there is so much that is going to change and I miss Jack going off world.If you saw It is good to be king in season 8 you'll know what I mean.Season 8 wasn't that bad BUT I missed Jack going off world.Now thinking that we don't get to see him anymore or in just a few episodes well :S :S I think season 9 is going to be very bad !! It is my opinion but well I am afraid of it.I wanted a season 9 but not these things that are going to change.I wish now there came a second movie with everyone in it.Jack,Sam,Daniel,Teal'c,Jonas,Cameron,General Hammond,Bra'tac and others I want SG.1 to end with a BANG :D

Celestial
March 2nd, 2005, 04:46 AM
Hello everyone.

Firstly want to say this place (Gateworld) rocks! I've been a long time lurker purely for the great info I get from this site, and the great reads I have had the pleasure of perusing since this forum started in April 04.

So I guess it's about time I join up and put in my 2 cents into some of the great topics discussed in this place.

So this is the place to basically whine about RDA/Jack's departure. Well, I'm one of those fans who greatly respect RDA's decision to spend more time with his daughter....but I WILL SO VERY MUCH WILL MISS HIM!!! :( :( :(

I've been watching Stargate since it's conception 8 years ago, and have never ever missed an episode since it began with CotG, but boy is this somewhat like when I first started watching MacGyver from the beginning to the end all over again :( That was a very sad event for me which took me awhile to get over my "mourning" so to speak :o

And with S9 fast approaching.....I guess my only consolation is that RDA/Jack slowly started to diminish from my screen, so I guess I'm somewhat prepared for the inevitable that he will most likely be gone by the time S10 airs, if there's ever gonna be one. At least I have my DVDs to always go back to :p

So Rick, thanks so much for the great shows you have given us over the years of your acting career, and may you finally enjoy the "retirement" you deserve (to spend with your daughter and family) when the time finally comes. But you know you'll be greatly missed.

Feli
March 2nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Hello everyone.

And with S9 fast approaching.....I guess my only consolation is that RDA/Jack slowly started to diminish from my screen, so I guess I'm somewhat prepared for the inevitable that he will most likely be gone by the time S10 airs, if there's ever gonna be one. At least I have my DVDs to always go back to :p

Welcome to the forum! Have you introduced yourself in the "Welcome, new Members!" thread in the Off Topic folder yet?

As for your strategy: lol! Being prepared for S10 by Jack's increasing absence in the last two seasons is an inventive way of looking at things!

Celestial
March 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the forum! Have you introduced yourself in the "Welcome, new Members!" thread in the Off Topic folder yet?

Sure have...and I hope everyone is as welcoming as you are. :) :D

yasureubetcha
March 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
I will miss and mourn Jack...I have a small drawer full of his quotes at home. That's what Stargate Monday on Sci-fi is for--to help people get their Jack fix when he's gone.

Feli
March 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Sure have...and I hope everyone is as welcoming as you are. :) :D

Of course! Most of us are actually rather friendly once the initial hostilities are over and done with... ;)

On topic: just watched Beneath the Surface - felt almost surreal to realize how much Jack there used to be in the early seasons. Was nice!

gatebee
March 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
WELCOME CELESTIAL GW rocks. Have fun posting and look around, lots of nice places to visit.

Captain-Peregrine
March 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
:( It'll be sad to see him go. O'Niell's sense of humor is so great. But it will be nice knowing that now RDA gets to take some time off and spend more time with his daughter--and to go fishing! All Minnesotains appreciate the value of fishing. lol:D

Celestial
March 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
WELCOME CELESTIAL GW rocks. Have fun posting and look around, lots of nice places to visit.

Thanks. I've been looking around and it's a little daunting, and overwhelming trying to get through reading some of the threads posted. I wonder how newbies even get thru all of the reading, or even those who haven't visited the threads for a mere 24hrs.

Of course! Most of us are actually rather friendly once the initial hostilities are over and done with... ;)
Oh, is that what it is....:p he..he..he..!

On topic: just watched Beneath the Surface - felt almost surreal to realize how much Jack there used to be in the early seasons. Was nice!
I know what you mean, as I was just going thru my S1 boxset again, it almost seems RDA/Jack was enjoying himself as oppose to S8 where it seemed there wasn't much spark left in him, or is that just because I saw so much less of him this season??:S (*scratch head*)

yasureubetcha
March 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Personally, I think a season 9 without Jack is better than no season 9 at all. If I don't like it, I can always turn off the TV and get a social life, or go online and post in the threads of old eps. But maybe it'll be awesome, even without RDA, and it should have that chance.

Celestial
March 2nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Personally, I think a season 9 without Jack is better than no season 9 at all. If I don't like it, I can always turn off the TV and get a social life, or go online and post in the threads of old eps. But maybe it'll be awesome, even without RDA, and it should have that chance.
I guess for me, I'd reserve my judgement when I finally get a chance to see it....hopefully it won't be too bad.(fingers crossed). Then again, like yasureubetcha, I can always turn the TV off, or just watch old eps from my collection.

Feli
March 3rd, 2005, 04:11 AM
I know what you mean, as I was just going thru my S1 boxset again, it almost seems RDA/Jack was enjoying himself as oppose to S8 where it seemed there wasn't much spark left in him, or is that just because I saw so much less of him this season??:S (*scratch head*)

Many fans felt that he wasn't as enthusiastic about filming seasons 7 and 8 as he was in previous seasons. Of course, RDA had stated back in S5 (or S6?) that he wanted to retire, so no surprise there. Sad but not surprising.

PhilM
March 3rd, 2005, 05:07 AM
Hello. Another newbie here, and I must get my thoughts out about this.

For me, SG1 has always been about SG1 itself, that core group of 4 people who have evolved into family over the years. RDA will be seriously missed. The show continued, and wasn't bad, with Daniel gone, but it still wasn't the same. The influx of new people in season 9 has me worried, but I think the remaining core can hold it all together. I am anxious to see Ben Browder, since I love Farscape. I just hope he doesn't play a Crichton like character on SG1, it would be nice to see some of his range.

Thanks to RDA for all the great times. I look forward to seeing some more from you in the future.

Feli
March 3rd, 2005, 06:31 AM

Feel better now that it's done? ;) Welcome to the forum!

Ruralstar
March 3rd, 2005, 06:39 AM

LOL on the hostilities comment. There are personalities that's for sure.

On topic: I've been capping old episodes and I've been reminded of the energy and light Jack brought to each episode. It's frustrating to observe some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The perceived "dumbing down' of the character and RDA's slow withdrawal. I try not to let these things irk me and then I see Reckoning pt 1. Jacob and Jack are talking to Sam over the MALP and she says the weapon worked on the Replicators. Jack looks all stupid until Jacob translates the techspeak, which really was very easy to understand. I get so pissed off when I see a scene like that. Season one Jack knew Astronomy for pity sakes and somewhere in the last seven years he's slowly oozed out his smarts along with his good humor.

I love evolution in characters but not at the expense of plausibility. Not only will I miss Jack, I have missed smart, energetic Jack. I am not calling any PTB on the carpet just stating the facts as I perceived them. I don't want a repeat of the behavior mentioned above. Bringing him back for a series of sarcastic, apathetic comments is not worth RDA's time or mine.

ChevronSeven
March 3rd, 2005, 06:46 AM
LOL on the hostilities comment. There are personalities that's for sure.

On topic: I've been capping old episodes and I've been reminded of the energy and light Jack brought to each episode. It's frustrating to observe some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The perceived "dumbing down' of the character and RDA's slow withdrawal. I try not to let these things irk me and then I see Reckoning pt 1. Jacob and Jack are talking to Sam over the MALP and she says the weapon worked on the Replicators. Jack looks all stupid until Jacob translates the techspeak, which really was very easy to understand. I get so pissed off when I see a scene like that. Season one Jack knew Astronomy for pity sakes and somewhere in the last seven years he's slowly oozed out his smarts along with his good humor.

I love evolution in characters but not at the expense of plausibility. Not only will I miss Jack, I have missed smart, energetic Jack. I am not calling any PTB on the carpet just stating the facts as I perceived them. I don't want a repeat of the behavior mentioned above. Bringing him back for a series of sarcastic, apathetic comments is not worth RDA's time or mine.

Can I just hop on the Ruralstar bandwagon? I agree with everything that you just said. The character has slowly devolved. I was looking to cap something from the Pilot. I noticed that in that episode, Jack's ribbons on his uniform were not as plentiful as what he has now (or when he was still a colonel in the later season). So Jack has done countless missions and has saved the planet multiple times with his team. Put him behind a desk and he's not the man I fell for. To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.

Ruralstar
March 3rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Can I just hop on the Ruralstar bandwagon? I agree with everything that you just said. The character has slowly devolved. I was looking to cap something from the Pilot. I noticed that in that episode, Jack's ribbons on his uniform were not as plentiful as what he has now (or when he was still a colonel in the later season). So Jack has done countless missions and has saved the planet multiple times with his team. Put him behind a desk and he's not the man I fell for. To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.

To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.

Exactly.

gatebee
March 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM

For me, SG1 has always been about SG1 itself, that core group of 4 people who have evolved into family over the years. RDA will be seriously missed. The show continued, and wasn't bad, with Daniel gone, but it still wasn't the same. The influx of new people in season 9 has me worried, but I think the remaining core can hold it all together. I am anxious to see Ben Browder, since I love Farscape. I just hope he doesn't play a Crichton like character on SG1, it would be nice to see some of his range.

Thanks to RDA for all the great times. I look forward to seeing some more from you in the future.
Welcome PhilM
Ya, I will miss RDA so much. I am sure that he will eventually pop up on another venture. But I hope that he finishes first the story line they started in SG1 before he moves on.

VBach37
March 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
RDA brings a unique humor to the show that I don't think anyone can replace. I've been trying to think of the actor I would choose to fill the void, but I can't think of anyone who'll be able to fill Anderson's shoes. It is true that he hasn't been quite as humorous the past season or so, but his leaving will still be a great loss to the cast. I'm sure we all hope that he appears as often as possible in the future. However, his reasons for leaving are about as good as any I can think of.

Ever since I first watched the SG1 pilot episode, my favorite line has been when Carter talks about "macgyvering" a system to control the gate. I wonder. . . . Does Jack O'Neill watch MacGyver?

yasureubetcha
March 3rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
When there are episodes like "Citizen Joe" and "Wormhole X-treme" to bring the show into the show, anything's possible.

Feli
March 4th, 2005, 04:46 AM
On topic: I've been capping old episodes and I've been reminded of the energy and light Jack brought to each episode. It's frustrating to observe some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The perceived "dumbing down' of the character and RDA's slow withdrawal. I try not to let these things irk me and then I see Reckoning pt 1. Jacob and Jack are talking to Sam over the MALP and she says the weapon worked on the Replicators. Jack looks all stupid until Jacob translates the techspeak, which really was very easy to understand. I get so pissed off when I see a scene like that.

It would be interesting to see a list of 'smart' Jack and 'dumb' Jack scenes in comparison. IMO we tend to forget that there were awfully dumb scenes for him from the very beginning unfortunately - Matter of Time comes to mind. Well, it comes to my mind because that scene with the apple and wormhole explanation always irks me. Even a kid could understand that.

Anyway, all in all you're probably right; the dumb moments did increase in number over the years.

tegan
March 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I am not happy with what I am seeing in general. No Jack to be the fun one. Now I am seeing that we have a new leader of SG-1. They seem to be trying to dump Lt. Col. Carter. They are bringing in new Generals, new doctors, new Jaffa. I currently have Seasons 1 - 7 and I will buy 8 but I am almost sure I will not like Season 9. It really does seem to me that they are trying to make it Androscapegate - SG1.

Ragnarok13
March 4th, 2005, 11:59 AM
i too will miss jack and his "in english carter?" attitude, but the fact that he's doing this for daughter (i think) is good, hes got his prioritys in order and his bigest one is his family, that i have no problem with. after all they spend allmost all day filming, they have what a 2 or 3 month brake? and if their not filming or at home, they might be at some sorda convention. imagine doing that for for 7-8 years? i know id wimp out and have a nerous brakedown, ill still miss him though

Silver
April 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I've just come across this thread... a bit of an old newbie here, if you get me... and what a sad thread it is. :(

But I understand your feelings and I am going to miss Jack so, so much. To me his character is irreplaceable and his unique relationships with Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are the very essence of the show. I'm going to watch season 9 anyway, but I know it won't be the same... in fact, it will probably depress me more than I enjoy it.

Stargate without Jack is unimaginable! Unthinkable! Everyday I click onto Gateworld and scan the news column for any hint of RDA in another future episode... and alas, there's just "Avalon" so they can say a proper good-bye to him. But I suppose we should be thankful for that, at least.

Actually, I'm very thankful for the eight fantastic seasons RDA and his character has given us and, as someone else said, we'll always have the DVDS to smile at when we're missing him too much.

Thank you RDA, for numerous brilliant Jack moments and for consequent grins and chuckles! :) We lovvvvvvvvve you! ((((((((RDA)))))))) And we love Jack!

sg-1fanintn
April 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM
RDA and Noah Wyle both leaving their series in the same year! I don't think I can stand it!

Lida
April 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
i too will miss jack and his "in english carter?" attitude, but the fact that he's doing this for daughter (i think) is good, hes got his prioritys in order and his bigest one is his family, that i have no problem with. after all they spend allmost all day filming, they have what a 2 or 3 month brake? and if their not filming or at home, they might be at some sorda convention. imagine doing that for for 7-8 years? i know id wimp out and have a nerous brakedown, ill still miss him though

I love Jack, and I will miss him more than I can say, but he has been on the set in Vancouver, for the past 2 years, at most, 2-3 days a week, and not even every week. He has been cutting his shooting schedule down since Season 5 and he has never attended any conventions. Althought I can understand he wants to spend more time with his daughter, he does spend alot of time at charity events, which his daughter doesn't always attend. And now, she is entering school......so maybe he is just tired and needs a break from SG-1. By asking the TPTB to keep the character of O'Neill active, perhaps after recharging his batteries, he will return, even if it's just guest appearances. Here's hoping anyway.... :)

Love ya RDA!

ravinia
June 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm completely in mourning. I discovered Stargate just a couple of years ago. I've had Stargate Mondays and now I own all the DVDs so I've had the joy of watching the team evolve over 8 years all in the last 18 months or so! I can't imagine how you who've watched the show for eight years must be feeling - like you're losing a best friend!

SG-1 will never be the same. It's about Sam, Teal'c, Daniel and JACK. But I guess it has slowly been fading over the last couple of seasons.... maybe that will help ease the pain.
I agree it would be so wonderful if we could have him even for a few scenes in the occasional ep... (good scenes, not lame scenes LOL). But from the little we've heard from RDA, I'm afraid he might not come back. He has compelling reasons to leave and his detachment has been showing. His latest interview indicated he's been "getting offers" for work in LA. But, as others have posted, I guess I'm glad we've had a couple of seasons to get used to the idea... that doesn't make it any easier to take ... (Some people like to pull a bandage off slowly, but others like to just rip it off and get the pain over with....)

Ravinia

the Fifth Race
June 4th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I'm as dissappointed as the next person about Jack not being a regular anymore!. That being said, a few years ago they were talking about how the reduced role of Jack was signaling the end of the SG series. But with the resurgence of it comeing to the scifi channel, all talk of ending the series was squashed (thank God!). I think the show can still remain solid and interesting without Jack. I just hope he still wants some kind of role in the show so we can see him a few times a season.

SimilarCadence
June 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Sometime within the past six months or so, RDA was briefly filmed attending an event in Canada. (I think it had to do with who has been the most influential woman in his life....) I can't remember the exact question he was asked, but I'll always remember his answer. Smiling, he replied that the day his daughter was born was the day he became a man----he was beaming as he said it. How could anyone not love him for saying something wonderful like that?! It melted my heart----what a sweetie! I wish him the best Father's Day ever!

RDA's "Jack" has been such a treat to behold for the past eight seasons. He brought strength, courage, humor (amazing humor), sensitivity and depth to a character who could have ended up two-dimensional at best. (Try imagining any other actor as "Jack O'Neill".....) The chemistry between RDA, AT, MS and CJ has been a thing of beauty and a rare occurrence, in my opinion. Remove one piece of the puzzle and the chemistry is never the same again. But life goes on and situations change. People move on. SG-1 fans have had eight seasons of a really great show and we have a lot to be thankful for.

Thank you, Richard, for giving so much of yourself to StarGate SG-1 over the years! I wish you a truly happy life......

Kingomon
June 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM
I'll miss him because he made me laugh when cater came up with a complicated plain and made her make it simple.

Stricken
June 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
i will miss him becuase he is funny, can think of the simplest of things in a different situation! and likes cake!!!! just like me

Although we will miss him we just have to acccept that RDA as O'Neill is going, to do other things

AncientKnowledge
June 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM
:D Hes the ONE and ONLY...Jack O'neill, hes the biggest smart a** :) ....hes funny ;) .....carter confuses him :cool: ....and hes REALLY hot!!! :P

valaCB
June 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
His humor! only he can do it so well :cool:

BackStageJim
June 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Miss the "O'Neill-ism" and puns that make you realize he is the smartest character on the show.

jack_n_sam147
June 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Because He's such a great character! I'll miss his humor most of all. But for those Jack/Sam shippers, there is still hope... *hint wink nudge*

Skydiver
June 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
his irreverance

he could keep things light and not take the whole thing seriously...which kept things grounded for me. like in Redemption, when he went 'oh please, who talks like that'....that's pretty much what i was thinking at the time too

apollosgc
June 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
I think all the reasons that I'll miss the character/RDA have been listed. The humor, as well as for me his intelligence (well disgusied at times ;) ), loyalty, leadership...(I'm getting a little misty here...)

I really like the character but I completely understand that RDA has his reasons for leaving, I wish him the best, and hope he drops in to the SGC for special occasions.

REALLY going to miss the humor though... :(

valaCB
June 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM
I really like the character but I completely understand that RDA has his reasons for leaving, I wish him the best, and hope he drops in to the SGC for special occasions.

i think the same. i'll miss his charcter alote :(

divcon
June 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM

I am going to miss Jack because
1/ He is HOT!! 2/ He is sooooooooooooo funny 3/ He is irreverent
4/ He loves all his team(especially Sam)
5/ He has lots of honour
6/ Those eyes and smile light up our screens

It just won't be the same, I'll be hanging out for visits form Jack to the SGC, Or maybe the team can meet up for fishing weekends at the cabin. :p :p :D :rolleyes:

Kliggins
June 21st, 2005, 10:12 PM
I will miss Jack for all the reasons listed above; hidden intelligence, irreverance, humor, bad puns, loyalty, leadership, so-so looks ;), as well as his ability to get the team to pull a rabbit out the hat even when it seemed there was no rabbit. :)

Ashur
June 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
I'll miss him to, Jack is one of the chief reasons I watch the show.
:( :( :( :( :(
Looks like we will be stuck with a poorly groomed Daniel :S , we may have to kidnap and forcibly shave him.

keshou
June 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
I'll miss Jack.

The "good morning campers" Jack.
The Jack who taunted Ba'al.
The Jack who sneered "you ended that sentence with a preposition, you *******".
Jack blasting away at the replicators on the sub.
The Jack who protected and led his team.
Irreverent Jack.
Wily Jack.

At his best he's really a great character.

I saw the spoiler pics of S9 and I have to admit I got a pang when I saw the pic of Jack.

And I really thought I was fine with him leaving the show - especially since it's clear RDA is ready to move on and spend time with his family (as he should).

Still - it was rather poignant seeing him in the pics. I WILL miss him. :(

gatebee
June 23rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
The things that I will miss about RDA .... weeps ... missing him already soo much

HIS SMILE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/jacksmile.jpg

HIS ZILLION DOLLAR SMILE ... or ZILLION EURO SMILE ... or ZILLION POUNDS SMILE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/jackzillionsmile.jpg

HIS STICK UP HAIR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/43cabbaf.jpg

HIS LOVELY NECK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/th1c9a62ac.jpg

OH OH WHEN HE JOKES AROUND
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/image3497.jpg

HIS EYES
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/a40b8732.jpg

ACTION JACK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/TheOtherGuys03.jpg

REVERSE HAT JACK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/27bfba91.jpg
all pic above fr rda-forever ...

SAM AND JACK .... I AM A SHIPPER
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/15243296.jpg
pic fr myrth

da_hippie
June 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM
If its any consolation to you, he's said he'll come back if they make a movie :D.

SG-1ssm
June 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Rrrrrrr. McGriver's gone.

AncientKnowledge
June 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM

I’ll miss him, period.

*tears* *sob* *sniff* *sniff*Rural!!!!!Holy wow..... What a great way to put it!!!!:(:(

I'll miss RDA so much!!!! I think what Jack had,made Stargate great!Theres now a big HONKIN' hole in SG-1,now that hes gone! :(........I agree with RDA's decision,totally and I'm glad that he was able to give us 8 wonderful years as Jack O'neill...... And I hope he knows how much everyone will miss him in S9!!!!!! We love you RDA and will miss you greatly in S9!

-Cheyenne:( :( :( :(

divcon
June 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
If its any consolation to you, he's said he'll come back if they make a movie :D.

If we can't get to see Jack on our small screens(where he looks great), at least we might get to see him on the big screen(where I'm sure he will look AMAZING). Just think about Jack being that big, more of him to look at and drool over. :)

gatebee
June 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
WOW BIG SCREEN OF RDA just thinking of that idea .... sooo HOT

divcon
June 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Yeah, big screen Jack. More to look at and more to drool over. :D

I know I'm repeating myself but it's worth saying twice.

Hey, I'm now a mature symbiote. Cool.

majorsal
June 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
JACK!

RDA!

WANT THEM BOTH!

:( :(

sally :/

divcon
June 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I need to make sure that I have a box of tissues at hand when Jack leaves our screens this season. So sad to see him go and I will probably cry all the way through that ep. :( :( :( BOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :( :(

Rune
June 24th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I'll miss Jack for just about every reason everyone else has already mentioned here, I keep trying to put a brave face on S9 but it's turning out harder than I thought. The smile, the sneer, the sarcasm, the unexpected glimpses of sensitivity that really lie beneath the gruff exterior, those brown eyes, that silver hair, those black t-shirts, that 'take that snakeheads' gritted teeth look as he fires his zat, the roll of the eyes when faced with technobabble, the 'I'd rather be fishing' look when those briefings stretch on and on. RDA as Rural said brought Jack O'Neill to life, we've so much to be thankful for & it's wonderful that he's made the decision to put his child first but oh, is it tough to let Jack go. :(

We're usually a month or two behind the US with the new season airdates in the UK too but *sniffle sniffle* I'm moping already, thank goodness we have so many great eps to look back on and enjoy as well as - hopefully - the occasional glimpse of Jack himself. :)

*runs off to find the Kleenex*

divcon
June 24th, 2005, 06:37 AM
We're usually a month or two behind the US with the new season airdates in the UK too but *sniffle sniffle* I'm moping already, thank goodness we have so many great eps to look back on and enjoy as well as - hopefully - the occasional glimpse of Jack himself. :)

*runs off to find the Kleenex*

You're lucky that your only a month or two behind the States. We're only half way through Atlantis(they don't run them concurrently here), so I don't expect to see S9 until the end of the year or even into next year.

*pass me some of your Kleenex please* :( :(

Feli
July 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Having seen posts pop up all over the place with folks expressing their sadness about seeing Jack go I thought it apt to rename this thread. So:

Goodbye Jack! And thanks!

ChevronSeven
July 16th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Thank you Jack for 8 Wonderful Years!

http://img101.echo.cx/img101/64/jackb2f0pn.jpg

sharp
July 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
The things that I will miss about RDA .... weeps ... missing him already soo much

HIS SMILE
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/jacksmile.jpg

HIS ZILLION DOLLAR SMILE ... or ZILLION EURO SMILE ... or ZILLION POUNDS SMILE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/jackzillionsmile.jpg

HIS STICK UP HAIR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/43cabbaf.jpg

HIS LOVELY NECK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/th1c9a62ac.jpg

OH OH WHEN HE JOKES AROUND
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/image3497.jpg

HIS EYES
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/a40b8732.jpg

ACTION JACK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/TheOtherGuys03.jpg

REVERSE HAT JACK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/27bfba91.jpg
all pic above fr rda-forever ...

SAM AND JACK .... I AM A SHIPPER
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/FilBrit1/15243296.jpg
pic fr myrth

This is SUCH a great pic I'm repeating it! Am reading this thread now, didn't realize it started so long ago, I thought it was a new one (for obvious reasons). Soon as I'm caught up reading I'll post my own comments but HAD to mention this. gatebee you ROCK!

sharp

sharp
July 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Okay...Ruralstar and Rune, you've said it all for me.

But I also feel gypped!! I came into the series very late, immersed myself in the culture that is Jack :D and now--what??? I'm HOOKED, what am I supposed to do now?

Yes, of course I have most of the dvds but--but--

:confused: :mad: :( :(

sharp (*walking aimlessly*)

Feli
July 16th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'm HOOKED, what am I supposed to do now?

Watch an ep a day and notice once more all the little, wonderful things that drew you to the show?

Porthos1013
July 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I really felt the lack of Jack ( :D ) in last night's premiere. I had a tough time warming to Ben, especially with the teensy weensy bit of Jack-ness that was thrown in. Ben was funny, but he lacked Jack's spark. The only time it came close was when he threw a fit about Teal'c shooting the door. "Bullets...they bounce, man!" :D I'll also miss Jack as being the ultimate verbal sparring partner for Daniel. I just loved their interactions. Although it looks like that role may have been transferred to Vala temporarily, she will leave soon, and then Daniel has no one to bicker with! :( Really, I feel like after Vala leaves, the major draw of the show for me (the wry, witty dialogue) will be missing. I made my mom watch the premiere with me last night, and she kept saying, "Isn't MacGyver in this? Where's MacGyver? Isn't he your favorite character?" over and over again, and I had to keep telling her he wasn't doing the show anymore. She wanted me to explain why, and no answer I gave her seemed to satisfy her. She's not a sci fi fan, but she would tolerate the show if I was watching it. After finding out "MacGyver" :rolleyes: isn't on the show anymore, I don't think she'll be as willing to put up with it. :( Once I had finally convinced her that no, Jack was definitely not going to be on the show last night, she wanted me to turn it to something else, because she didn't see that there was any point in watching it! :eek: Even my mother, who is not a fan, loved Jack's character, and associated the show entirely with him.

sharp
July 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Watch an ep a day and notice once more all the little, wonderful things that drew you to the show?

And live at the THUNK! thread....

;)

sharp

ann_sgcfan
July 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I MISS Jack!!!! Watching last nights episode just reminded how me much I miss him!! I am glad that he is taking the time to spend with his daughter. There is nothing more important than family, but I still miss RDA !!!! I wish he were in more scenes, but I understand he will be there for Ep. 3 as well so I'm hoping we will see more. He was the reason I started watching Stargate SG-1. He and At are the reason that I have continued to watch the show.

Feli
July 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
And live at the THUNK! thread....

;)

sharp

Goes without saying!

I kept waiting for Jack to appear thoughout the entire episode although I knew he'd only be in one little scene. It'll be a long while until I get used to the show being Jack-less. If ever.

zuz
July 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM
It'll be a long while until I get used to the show being Jack-less. If ever.

ITA.

http://img241.echo.cx/img241/5257/ricksigfinal01027hk.jpg

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 05:30 AM
what did everybody think of his 'cameo' in origin

VonKnibble
August 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
I've no doubt this has been said before....but now it's my turn.

I too, will miss Jack, his wonderfull smile, the humor, the constant by-play between him and Daniel, the thunk moments, and the whump moments. But i have to say, i've been missing a lot of that for the last two seasons at least. I realise a lot of it was to do with RDA's own wish for less screen time, but TPTB managed only to reduce his intelligence, rather then presense. So i will do as Feli suggested, and watch the show an ep a day (or two, or three :D) and enjoy Jack how he used to be, how he should still be.

But that doesn't mean i won't continue to watch the show. i know the characters completely different, but i enjoyed Ben Browder a great deal in farscape, and i'm willing to give him a go. besides, it's not as if he's all that hard on the eye, either :D

So, so long Jack, and thanks for all the fish. or lack there of...;p
I'm sure gonna miss you.

-Jules-
August 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM

I’ll miss him, period.

(((Rural))) You're making me cry! :o Good job! :D ( It won't let me spread the love) :(

majorsal
September 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM
i miss him BIG time. :(

jack brought something to the show that made him one of the most unique scifi leading men i've ever seen. hard yet soft. angry yet sad. funny yet serious. broken yet open to the ppl around him that made him feel reborn.

rda brought something to the show that i'm desperately missing right now. when jack was sexy, it was subtle. when jack was funny, it felt real life and subtle. rda portrayed jack as a real person, with flaws and strenghts that both sexes could relate to. i just miss seeing that self depricating smile, yet you know he knew just what was going on.

i love jack/rda, and i hope one day to see his return.

sally :)

AGateFan
September 18th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I certainly dont have as many quotable moments to annoy the people at work with.;)
I do miss Jack a lot. I think the show can go on without him but it will never, ever be the same. He was one of the best Scifi characters ever IMHO.

Gary83uk
September 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I was reading the forums yesterday and it kinda just hit me that we are never gonna see Jack again (maybe a guest appearance) or hear any of his hilarious remarks, I've obviously known about it before he even left but it never really bothered me before.

Stargate will never be the same and it will never be as good as it could with RDA and Jack, but I can still enjoy the show now and in the future i hope.

Eoin
September 19th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Stargate will never be the same and it will never be as good as it could with RDA and Jack, but I can still enjoy the show now and in the future i hope.
100% agreed...stargate will never be the same again.... im still gonna watch it but it wont be the same ever again :( .... i hope RDA gets bored and returns for season 10 :D

sg-1fanintn
October 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hello! De-lurking to post the following information.....cause I miss Jack and I miss RDA!!!!!!!!!

Don Davis mentioned to a member of the S/J Ship Family (at the New Jersey con) that RDA thought fans were angry with him for leaving the show. We talked about letting him know how much we miss him and how he needs to come back for a couple of eps a yer, or at least wrap up his storyline. We talked about doing this through a web site, but I think I have a way that would be more effective--by sending letters to his agent and Gekko. minigeek, who works in TV, got the addresses below for me. I think mail sent to one or more of these places would be much more likely to reach him.

Here's the information I have.

Richard Dean Anderson
c/o Gekko Film Corporation
1122 South Robertson, Boulevard, Suite 15
Los Angeles, CA 90035, USA

Richard Dean Anderson
c/o ICM (International Creative Management)
8942 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills
CA 90211, USA

Nell also suggested that we should write TPTB and let them know how much we want to see RDA back. I think I’ll do that too. Here is the address where you can write RCC, JM, PM or any of the TPTB:

The Bridge Studios
2400 Boundary Rd
Burnaby, British Columbia
V5M3Z3

minigeek also suggested checking the Screen Actors Guild for addresses that might get mail to RDA, but I had trouble navigating their web site….then work went bonkers and I haven’t had time to go back. If anyone can help with contact info for him through SAG, please post it. So, I'd suggest these for now.....and I'm going to write.

How many would write? Could you post here and give us an idea?

SnoggingPicard
October 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
100% agreed...stargate will never be the same again.... im still gonna watch it but it wont be the same ever again :( .... i hope RDA gets bored and returns for season 10 :D

I'm still watching Sg-1, but I definitely have a lot less enthusiasm for it now. All of the other cast members are doing such a great job with the material they're given, but it just isn't the same without Jack. :(

valaCB
October 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Im here to say that i miss Jack alote :(

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Im here to say that i miss Jack alot :(
Yeah, so do I. I miss his humor. however, Cameron's humor covers this a little bit.

plaw15
October 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM

S
Me too. Hope he will guest star alot

dmovies
October 23rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
Me too. Hope he will guest star alot
The show is just not the same without O'Neill. The 1st 10 episodes of season 9 were, at best, poor science fiction. It's a little better when Sam Carter is in the episode a lot, but there's still a very large hole where Jack show be. I can accept Landy and Lam but the lead just doesn't work. The Cameron character has little personality and no chemistry between the other characters. I haven't watch SG1 since "The 4th Horseman" aired and I can't say I've missed it much. Too bad.

shippyangel
July 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM

S

Couldn't agree more.... (y)

Jackie
July 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM
SG-1 is not SG-1 without Jack. No amount of replacements could fill his shoes.

Nikki
July 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Agreed (^). I love Jack and miss him terribly. Seasons 9/10 were truly awful and Jack wasn't there to make it better. :(

shippyangel
July 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM
It just feels empty without him... :(

nell
August 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Um, I didn't get the memo at the start of this thread in February 2005. So, better late than never! I know Jack would agree but, ahhhh, nevermind, you know how he feels about cliches!!!:rolleyes:

Many have eloquently expressed their fondness for Jack as portrayed by The Man, Richard Dean Anderson. Well said and I echo your sentiments.

Seasons 9 & 10 have passed by and Jack put in a couple of appearances on SG-1 and then three on Atlantis season 3. I've been thankful for that. Very thankful. Gosh, I've missed him as a regular!:p

Here's looking forward to The Movie: Continuum in 2008 when RDA reprises the role of Jack O'Neill. :cool: There is no substitute. They broke the mold. Aaahhh, FCOL. Did I mention about the cliches?!:D

ccdsah
August 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
They should have cancelled the show when RDA left and start making DVD movies then...

OneillTwo"LL"s
August 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Just found this thread!! If I knew about long ago, would have been here long ago!!

Anyhow, this is what I miss about Jack!!

DANIEL (pleading and frustrated) Come on, Jack!

O'NEILL Still no, Daniel.

DANIEL But, it doesn't have to be on a permanent basis.

O'NEILL I didn't let you go in the first place. What makes you think I'm gonna change my mind?

DANIEL Because…

O'NEILL Can you try to do better than that?

DANIEL Because they're going to need somebody who can translate Ancient. I'm the most qualified person left on the planet for the mission.

O'NEILL Which is exactly why you're gonna stay right here.

DANIEL (desperate) Because I'll quit!

O'NEILL (sarcastically) Why don't you just hold your breath? You haven't done that in a while.

(Thanks to StargateWikki for the Transcript!)

Nobody can Banter with Daniel as well as Jack can!! Nobody!! I loved the Banters!!

Zoser
August 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM
It is not the same without Jack O'Neill.
No Jack - No Joy

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Zzoser/1s3sat4agg.jpg

mara-anni
August 13th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Just found this thread!! If I knew about long ago, would have been here long ago!!

Nobody can Banter with Daniel as well as Jack can!! Nobody!! I loved the Banters!!

Wow, I didn't know about this thread either!

I miss the banter too, those two really played off each other so well. Even the simple thing like
"Do.."

"Do Not.."

"Do..." etc :D

A great example is in season 6 Abyss and the elevator scene in Full Circle.

I too think that they should have finished the show with season 8 when RDA left. As much as I love the other original characters, Jack is totally and utterly irreplaceable and the show IMHO just doesn't work without him :(

Sheesh...guess I'l have to skim throught the thread to see what I've missed...ack an impossible task methinks.

I miss Jack...*sigh*

Luvnjoe
August 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Alas, I miss Jack, too! The sarcasm, the witty comebacks ("Are you calling us fruit?"), and the overall greatness that is Jack cannot be replaced!

Linda06
August 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
O'Neill *pines for Jack*

SG-1 wasn't the same without O'Neill and his sarcastic sense of humour,i didn't really enjoy the last 2 seasons without him in it,they should have stopped SG-1 when he left!

hbt123
August 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Wow! I just stumbled upon this thread too! *waves*

Sweet!

Wow, I didn't know about this thread either!

I too think that they should have finished the show with season 8 when RDA left. As much as I love the other original characters, Jack is totally and utterly irreplaceable and the show IMHO just doesn't work without him :(

Sheesh...guess I'l have to skim throught the thread to see what I've missed...ack an impossible task methinks.

I miss Jack...*sigh*

I agree! Going on without Jack didn't work for me. Mitchell can try, (and he does) but he just can't replace the original.

Also, at the end of season 8 everything was solved.

(Major THREADS spoilers)
the Jaffa were finally free, the replicators finally defeated with the weapon at Dakara, Daniel was among the living again (Pete finally went away... sorry). IMO threads would have been a perfect series finale. There was even fishing!

Linda06
August 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Also, at the end of season 8 everything was solved.

(Major THREADS spoilers)
the Jaffa were finally free, the replicators finally defeated with the weapon at Dakara, Daniel was among the living again (Pete finally went away... sorry). IMO threads would have been a perfect series finale. There was even fishing!

Yup totally agree with ya,that would have definately been a perfect way to end the show,i don't know about anybody else but i was very disappointed about the very last episode!Pete went away,i was very pleased about that!

hbt123
August 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Yup totally agree with ya,that would have definately been a perfect way to end the show,i don't know about anybody else but i was very disappointed about the very last episode!Pete went away,i was very pleased about that!

Yeah Unending disappointed me too.

Too much D/V.

I just pretend that seasons nine and ten don't exist. Works for me!

I love Jack! :jack:

Linda06
August 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Aye,SG-1 could and probably should have went out with a bang but instead they went out with a whimper i also never really took to the Ori the way i did with the Goa'uld and the replicators,they just didn't seem to do it for me!

hbt123
August 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I agree! They were just sort of... bad guys... so what? There was nothing really special about them to me.

But none the less they would have probably been tolerable if Jack had been there to input his Jack'isms.

*sigh* I miss Jack

Zoser
January 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Excuse me while I whine

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Zzoser/gif/sam_what.gif
I've though about it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Zzoser/gif/Sam_lab.gif
I've tried everything I can think of but...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Zzoser/gif/sam_cry.gif
I still miss him.