X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien Nation Reboot

Alien Nation Reboot on the way.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ks-iron-784465

I've been expecting this for a long time because, like Zombie movies and TV shows, it would be a cheap franchise to reboot today.

IMHO - If it isn't broken, then there's no need to fix it.

The movie and series were very well done.
    Last edited by pscard; 26 March 2015, 09:50 AM.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

Even though that particular story hasn't been rebooted, there have been similar shows since then; Defiance, Star Crossed on TV, District 9 in theaters. Even Almost Human, only substituting androids for aliens. I am tired of studios and producers going back to the well and pulling up the same old stories time and time again. There are thousands of books and stories that have not been adapted yet. Doesn't it ever occur to them that sometimes new is better, even if that new is derivative?

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I do acknowledge that it was quite a bit different than the norm for that time, and it was done well. Yes, it was derivative, but at least it wasn't a direct remake of something we had already seen. I could say the same about Guardians of the Galaxy, although other than the characters it was very similar to other things action-wise. Someone needs to take a chance on something like that again, not just regurgitate old shows.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
        There are thousands of books and stories that have not been adapted yet. Doesn't it ever occur to them that sometimes new is better
        Amen, brother!

Comment

Sadly in todays crowded market is seems to pay off to go with established name franchises since it makes marketing a lot easier.

Comment

And yet nearly every reboot is criticized by at least half of the people who are fans of the original franchise.

Comment

But they own the franchise. Cheaper to try to reboot something they already own, especially a franchises that will be cheap to produce. It is all about already owning the property; making sure they continue to own the property; and making money off of the property. Why buy the rights to a story when you already own many stories you can retell?! (I am not defending this at all, just providing some explanation.) I want to see fresh and original. If it is coming from an existing franchise then I want to see new stories from things like SG-1. The only reboot I am interested in is Babylon 5 and that is because the creator of the show is doing it and because his reasons for doing a reboot instead of a continuation are sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                Even though that particular story hasn't been rebooted, there have been similar shows since then; Defiance, Star Crossed on TV, District 9 in theaters. Even Almost Human, only substituting androids for aliens. I am tired of studios and producers going back to the well and pulling up the same old stories time and time again. There are thousands of books and stories that have not been adapted yet. Doesn't it ever occur to them that sometimes new is better, even if that new is derivative?

I completely agree. That's why i'm more interested in The man in the High Castle, because it's somthing really new in sci fi tv. And The expanse of course allthough i don't trust syfy.

Comment

Wish I had found this forum sooner.

A few weeks ago, the El Rey Channel aired the Alien Nation series and subsequent TV movies.

Beginning today at 10 AM, El Rey will be airing the series on a weekly basis.
                  Total syffy posts: 36,690
                  (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                  Matthew 5:9

Comment

Working...
                  X