Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SYFY: the channel of cheap and cheesy shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SYFY: the channel of cheap and cheesy shows?

I just watched the trailer of the new syfy fantasy show Olympus

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-23/firs...-myths-18-pics

and it was horrible! So Helix, Dominion, Z nation and now Olympous.Yes syfy returned to sci fi and fantasy and seems it is becoming the channel of cheap and cheesy shows (12 monkeys excepted)

I haven't even bothered watching the complete trailer. Now if they wanted to adapt Dan Simmon's Illium/Olympos book series I'd be very interested.

Comment

From the cited article: "bloody sexy romp into Greek myths"
      Oh, Joy. I'll be sure to tag that one on the DVR. Not.

Comment

Defiance is also on Syfy, and its hardly cheap.

Comment

Defiance and 12 Monkeys are quite good shows, and The Expanse looks to be good Syfy is trying

Helix is kinda bleh tho, Z nation looks to be only ok
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

The trailer makes me wonder if they are making it campy on purpose.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              Defiance is also on Syfy, and its hardly cheap.
              I'm afraid you are missing the point. Defiance started in 2013 while syfy's massive return to scripted shows started in jenuary 2014 : 5 new shows between jenuary 2014 and april 2015 when olympus starts. Of these 5 only 1 (12 monkeys) is decent. So now we have 2 decent productions and 4 cheap/cheesy ones.

Comment

I think a big part of the problem is the advertiser driven need to attract a young audience. Hence we get shows designed to appeal to children, complete with excess and gratuitous sex, blood & gore, more sex and still more sex, rather than well written efforts. It's pretty easy to attract the young male audience, just show sex and you can hook a lot of them easily.

Comment

I like Helix and I wouldn't say the show is cheap, it does appear to have good production values.

Comment

A lot of their shows are co-productions with foreign companies, or else simply acquisitions from other companies with no direct involvement in the production on Syfy's part. I'm skeptical that even The Expanse will look good, but I'm hoping that at least the writing and acting will make up for that.

I'm not sure why it is, but even with the backing of NBC/Universal, Syfy's shows look so much cheaper than several I have seen from Netflix and Amazon.

Comment

Total syffy posts: 36,690
                      (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                      Matthew 5:9

Comment

Don't cast your googly eyes up at me, man. If you have something to say, say it.
                        Last edited by ecgordon; 27 March 2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                          Don't cast your googly eyes up at me, man. If you have something to say, say it.
                          The rolling eyes Smiley is in agreement to Pakar's original post. It had nothing to do with yours.
                          Last edited by pscard; 06 April 2015, 04:40 PM.
                          Total syffy posts: 36,690
                          (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                          Matthew 5:9

Comment

I thought the rolling eyes was supposed to indicate incredulity, so I interpreted your use of it to mean you didn't agree.

Comment

Not sure about this, the music make the trailer more terrible than it really is. I got a feeling the disjointed editing does it no flavours either.

It certainly doesn't look cheap to me. In fact it look like has a fairly standard cable budget.

Z Nation is cheap but it also fun and that why I watch it.

Comment

Working...
                              X