Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haven - before Parker arrived... (some spoilers within)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven - before Parker arrived... (some spoilers within)???

Hi.

I'm just about to finish season 3 of Haven and watch season 4 over the next couple of weeks, but there is something I've been wondering about but I don't want any spoilers

In the 27 years between Lucy and Audrey was Nathan's Trouble still active?

Season 1 did seem to imply that couldn't feel his whole life, and in fact, that the Chief (Garland) was "holding Haven together" since Lucy disappeared.

With the revelation of that the Troubles cease once Sarah/Lucy/Audrey disappears with the Barn, I just assumed I was mistaken - except that several times over the series, especially late in season 3, Nathan himself claims he has suffered the affliction for a "very long time".

If the "curse" only returned shortly before Parker's arrival in town, it would seem that Nathan is a bit whinging about the whole situation - it isn't a pleasant affliction, but it has only been a few months, not a "long time".

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Cheers.

As I understand it they started shortly before her arrival. You can't really blame him for being upset about being unable to feel anything. I imagine any amount of time like that would feel like a long time.

I omitted my signature to avoid spoiling things for you.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
      As I understand it they started shortly before her arrival. You can't really blame him for being upset about being unable to feel anything. I imagine any amount of time like that would feel like a long time.
      Yes, they never specified how long before Sarah/Lucy/Audrey's arrival that the Troubles begin, however, it can't be very long since helping the Troubled during her "recharge" period is why she is in Haven. And, granted, while Nathan's power does have it drawbacks, he does often does come across as a petulant child and his actions at the Barn in the season 3 finale are just despicable - murder and crying out for Parker while Haven burns.

If Audrey returns in season 4 (though I suspect not - a new personality or more than likely she'll be a blank slate) she will not be impressed.

Originally posted by Britta View Post
      I omitted my signature to avoid spoiling things for you.
      That is much appreciated

Comment

I always assumed Nathan was right around 27 years old. Since the Troubles disappear after Audrey/Whoever She Is This Time goes into the barn and reappear 27 years later, apparently drawing her back to Haven, I was guessing that Nathan had grown up in a "Trouble free" period, with his Trouble only recently becoming active. Depending on your age, you could live in Haven your whole life and hear about the Troubles, but never have one...until you did. That could be a huge shock, and might explain the time differential. (And the whinging.) But I'm voting for the "world-building-details-weren't-fully-fleshed-out-when-they-wrote-season 1" option.

Comment

I think he's older than that. The Troubles were active briefly when he was young, but went away as usual.

Comment

Memory is a bit hazy, but didn't Nathan & Duke grow up together, and when they were young, Duke bullied Nathan to some degree, but Nathan didn't feel it?
            I'll have to remember to look for this detail when I do a series rewatch before season 5B starts.

Oh, and btw.. isn't there a dedicated thread for this show around here?

Comment

Couldn't find a forum entitled: 'Haven'. Curious, isn't it?
              Total syffy posts: 36,690
              (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
              Matthew 5:9

Comment

Haven (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  Memory is a bit hazy, but didn't Nathan & Duke grow up together, and when they were young, Duke bullied Nathan to some degree, but Nathan didn't feel it?
                  I do remember something about that. So he was Troubled as a child--and not just a young child, I'm recalling Nathan and Duke at least in grade school together--then the Troubles went away, now they're back. Which means he's older, like Britta said.

Comment

Working...
                  X