will it = trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will it = trek

will gate ever get to be as big as trek is, I know that it took trek almost 20+ years to grow, but with nerd culture becoming more main stream, do you think it will last as long as trek has?

The thing with Star Trek is that it started when there was little scifi around and it did things that no one other shows were doing. That gave it something really big to start off on.

I'd like to think that Stargate would one day (maybe if it ever comes back) be better than all other shows and would dominate the scifi genre.

Comment

I personally would say that Stargate has more good episodes than Star Trek but the nature of the show is such that the weight of its mythology causes it to collapse. This makes it unlikely that the show will get more series and continue to grow.

That said, I really want to see another gate series with the same tone to it as SG-1 and Atlantis so hopefully I´m wrong

Comment

Nope. Keep in mind that it is now over 20 years since the film and 18 years since the beginning of SG-1. It's still not as well known or as well liked as Star Trek. Nor should it be. Star Trek was a show that demonstrated a brighter future for mankind, while sharing important social messages in a subtle and understandable way. Stargate is just an adventure series.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Star Trek was the first, and it's got a head start of decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Star Trek was the first, and it's got a head start of decades.
            exactly

Comment

If anything i think that Star Wars has the biggest name in Science Fiction still today, even people who aren't Sci Fi fans like we are have atleast seen the movies, until the recent 2009 reboot of Star Trek most ordinary folk wouldnt even contemplate watching Star Trek

I know Star Trek was first, but i feel Star Wars is generally more popular, and this is coming from a Star Trek guy

As for Stargate being as big as Star Trek or Star Wars? doubtful, although Hollywood will probably reboot it in a couple of years and redefine everything it was, somewhat like what they did with the 09 Star Trek reboot
              Last edited by mr_kennedy; 27 January 2015, 11:45 PM.
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

I sorta think that Star Wars/Star Trek are neck & neck, maybe a very slight edge to Trek.

Comment

Surely the real question is whether Trek, Wars, or Gate will ever be as big as Doctor Who... ? ;-)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I would say Star Trek and Star Wars is already bigger than Doctor Who
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      I would say Star Trek and Star Wars is already bigger than Doctor Who
                      Unless your in England
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

Why would I confine such a concept to one country?
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Let me say something not only from a non american perspective but also from a non english perspective:
                          stargate is american
                          star trek is universal (= about all humanity).

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Why would I confine such a concept to one country?
                            Well, I was kidding. But on a serious note, though clearly not financially bigger - an argument could be made.

Doctor Who hiss had over 30 'seasons' and three official spins offs, as well as numerous unofficial spin offs (focusing on DW characters owned by third parties). It has an expanded universe that is bigger than the Star Wars EU with hundreds of books, comics and audio dramas. Unlike Trek, it is the flagship show of a nation's premier TV channel, rather than being relegated to a second rate network. On this channel, it has the most highly sought after time slot, and gets a regular top billing on Christmas day. The show has a truly international presence and has filmed across the world. Additionally, the 50th anniversary ep set a world record by a simulcast broadcast in over 90 countries and making it into the cinema in many of them. The show is ingrained into a nation's consciousness and culture to an extent far beyond Wars or Trek to the point that the word TARDIS has made it into the dictionary, and the Metropolitan police lost a legal battle concerning who owned the rights to the image of a police phone box. The Doctor represents British Sci Fi in a way that Kirk or Solo can never hope to achieve for the US. It is loved by geeks and mainstream alike. Additionally, the show is referenced by other media just as much as Wars or Trek and way more than Gate.

So, admittedly, its not as financially huge as wars or trek.... but its definitely a competitor. Part of the big 3, I'd say.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't deny Doctor Who is popular but on a global scale a random person would respond to Star Trek before Star Wars
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X