Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help........ Creative ways to get FTL kind of speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help........ Creative ways to get FTL kind of speed.

OK without being too outlandish what's the most creative way to get faster then light speeds for s spaceship in fiction?

OK maybe a little outlandish but not too crazy an idea.

I'm stuck on what kind of theory to create.

Would lowering the mass of the ship to gain acceleration be a neat idea?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

It would be interesting.. especially since that was the purpose of inertial dampeners in their ships (X-302, etc.)

I think a good focus would be on the engines and their energy consumption. Like ways to use less energy for a longer engine burn. Or perhaps different forms of energy that can produce greater output in the engines.

Hope that helps! :/
    sigpic
    [call me loser.]

Comment

I *think* you will find that even with ID's all you will gain is a greater thrust to weight ratio than a standard craft, which is good or things like escaping orbit, but not for breaking the light speed barrier. (Killman would be one of the people to ask)

Why not just go with a Alcubierre drive or a warp engine?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        I *think* you will find that even with ID's all you will gain is a greater thrust to weight ratio than a standard craft, which is good or things like escaping orbit, but not for breaking the light speed barrier. (Killman would be one of the people to ask)

Why not just go with a Alcubierre drive or a warp engine?

Because my ship already has anti grav drives created by accelerating exotic particles around a ring shaped chamber........

Also turning the ships drive into any ship you wish to destroy and firing up the drive to full power will shred them.

I've gotten that part down, I'm really leaning towards some kind of mass reduction... Either that or I did have a crazy idea that the ship could project a beam towards its destination and then ride that beam as an energy pulse envelopes the ship, all the while gaining acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Because my ship already has anti grav drives created by accelerating exotic particles around a ring shaped chamber........

Also turning the ships drive into any ship you wish to destroy and firing up the drive to full power will shred them.
          Sounds like the wave motion canon from Starblazers

I've gotten that part down, I'm really leaning towards some kind of mass reduction... Either that or I did have a crazy idea that the ship could project a beam towards its destination and then ride that beam as an energy pulse envelopes the ship, all the while gaining acceleration.
          You mean like a soliton wave?
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the wave motion canon from Starblazers
            I did not think of it like that but I can see how that would work.... Actually my drive generates what I call negative gravity to lift the ship but used in the face of an oncoming ship the wave just rips them to shreds literally...

You mean like a soliton wave?
            Kind of.......

Comment

I did not think of it like that but I can see how that would work.... Actually my drive generates what I call negative gravity to lift the ship but used in the face of an oncoming ship the wave just rips them to shreds literally...
              Makes first contact a bit of a pain
              Could you use gravimetric waves as a weapon?
              Sure, why not, the Doctor uses sonic waves as a semi-weapon all the time, and sonic devices have proven to be effective in the real world. Anti grav weapons tearing a ship apart by applying torsion forces to a structure is hardly a "out there" notion.

Kind of.......
              You still need to find a good way to break the LS barrier, something the soliton wave never addressed.
              sigpic

Comment

You still need to find a good way to break the LS barrier, something the soliton wave never addressed.

I've found a way but it's sneaky....... And I don't want to give it away, but it involves other ships

Comment

How about combining a few standard scifi archetypes? Maybe have a ship pushed out of phase so the laws of nature no longer affect it and then stretch space behind it to kind of slingshot it forward.

Personally, I'd just go with the simple hyperdrive (Stargate style), its easy to work with.

Is this for something your working on?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    How about combining a few standard scifi archetypes? Maybe have a ship pushed out of phase so the laws of nature no longer affect it and then stretch space behind it to kind of slingshot it forward.

Personally, I'd just go with the simple hyperdrive (Stargate style), its easy to work with.

Is this for something your working on?

Yup............ Long standing writing project I've done, and done, over several years. This time I have a path to follow. I want to try get it published... I'd love help with some of my ship designs so if anyone here is good with Sketchup that would be fun too.

As well as the story I've written a small set of notes outlining my universe, characters, and technology to keep me on that path and grounded....

Comment

Yup............ Long standing writing project I've done, and done, over several years. This time I have a path to follow. I want to try get it published... I'd love help with some of my ship designs so if anyone here is good with Sketchup that would be fun too.

As well as the story I've written a small set of notes outlining my universe, characters, and technology to keep me on that path and grounded....
                      If you can't get it publish, publish it yourself. Not sketchup but I'm pretty good with Maya, even getting better a texturing, so post a description and I see what I can knock up for you.

Completely irrelevant but you sign could be applied to a lot of other MMOs, STO for example.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        If you can't get it publish, publish it yourself. Not sketchup but I'm pretty good with Maya, even getting better a texturing, so post a description and I see what I can knock up for you.

Completely irrelevant but you sign could be applied to a lot of other MMOs, STO for example.

Really my sig in Star Trek Online?

I'll post a description of my ship. I screwed up on my time rings. I just realized the exterior mechanism probably wouldn't work, that is the mechanical parts outside that move...

My Ship design

See what you can make of that

There she stood all 560 feet of her, grey in colour and with a matte finish to the paint on her exterior hull. The ship was very angular with the front section tapering to a point where all the sensors were located for transmitting flight data to the control deck. In cross section the ship is octagonal in shape with the front section tapering into a very angular kind of shape. After the nose / front section is the main body and that is more or less a straight octagonal box with another section containing the main drives and two sections that come from the sides containing storage for auxiliary vehicles and other items that can exit and return to the ship such as shuttles and small craft.

Time Rings

The ring was metal gold in colour, consisting of one inner ring on axles that rotated inside the main ring. Inside that is a cage like structure which looked big enough to hold the two occupants and had what looked like four feet supporting it on the floor. The legs appeared to extend out of the bottom of the cage area in what looked like a mass of machinery. A sliding door on the front of the round spherical cage and from a slot under the door liquid metal stairs could form on command.
                        Have some fun designing hehe.

Comment

Working...
                        X