You don't need FTL to get to Earth..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need FTL to get to Earth..

Why does everyone jump on the FTL bandwagon?

You don't need FTL to get to Earth. You do need advanced ships that have the capacity to have life support systems for hibernation sleep and storage of your crew, food, weapons, and stuff. But you don't need FTL.

Why do we always jump to this conclusion about this in movies and TV shows?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Why does everyone jump on the FTL bandwagon?

You don't need FTL to get to Earth. You do need advanced ships that have the capacity to have life support systems for hibernation sleep and storage of your crew, food, weapons, and stuff. But you don't need FTL.

Why do we always jump to this conclusion about this in movies and TV shows?
    I don't think that they always jump to that conclusion, in "Independence day" for example the aliens seemed to creep along at sub light speeds.

At the end of the day it all depends on what the narrative calls for, sometime you want the aliens to be able to arrive fast and sometimes you don't so you write accordingly.

Comment

Now for us humans what kind of breakthroughs do we need to make to make suspended animation or hibernation tubes possible for long term space travel?

Comment

It would take tens of thousands of years just to reach our nearest star without FTL. Not sure why anyone would want to hibernate that long, and the energy needed would be remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumper View Post
          It would take tens of thousands of years just to reach our nearest star without FTL. Not sure why anyone would want to hibernate that long, and the energy needed would be remarkable.
          So I'm wondering how they got around that on Defiance as they did that for their aliens to get to Earth. The trip took 5000 years and everyone was in hibernation.

Comment

Isn't the new Syfy show "Ascension" about a generation ship on it's way to another world? I personally think that a generation ship is more believable than hibernation given what we know about technology today.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              Isn't the new Syfy show "Ascension" about a generation ship on it's way to another world? I personally think that a generation ship is more believable than hibernation given what we know about technology today.

A generation ship would be interesting. I don't know why people find it boring?

As for hibernation I'd love to see how that could be made possible.

Comment

As for hibernation I'd love to see how that could be made possible.
                What kind of stories would you tell about a generational ship, considering it would take thousands of years.

Perhaps you could tell a single mystery during a small part of that journey or the journey to launch the generation or the ending but it kind hard to come up with a story about the middle.

I read one story recently,
                A Sword Into Darkness Thomas A. Mays

The aliens use time dilation, they could freeze time. Of cause if you could figure out how to get up to 99% light speed time would slow down you would achieve the same effect.

Some people are trying to replicate how bears and other animals hibernate in humans.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  What kind of stories would you tell about a generational ship, considering it would take thousands of years.

Perhaps you could tell a single mystery during a small part of that journey or the journey to launch the generation or the ending but it kind hard to come up with a story about the middle.

I read one story recently,
                  A Sword Into Darkness Thomas A. Mays

The aliens use time dilation, they could freeze time. Of cause if you could figure out how to get up to 99% light speed time would slow down you would achieve the same effect.

Some people are trying to replicate how bears and other animals hibernate in humans.
                  There was that kid that stowed away in the landing gear of a plane the other week. The medical people that examined him said he went into a kind of hibernation.... Now why isn't someone paying this kid $$$$$$$$ and studying him to find out how?

Comment

There was that kid that stowed away in the landing gear of a plane the other week. The medical people that examined him said he went into a kind of hibernation.... Now why isn't someone paying this kid $$$$$$$$ and studying him to find out how?
                    Goodness gracious, how long was that plane up in the air?!?!

The faster you go, the more time dilation you experience. It'd be interesting to have a story on a super fast ship. The crew would travel between stars and age relatively little while entire centuries pass in the universe. I only wonder what kind of story you could build around that concept.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

The faster you go, the more time dilation you experience. It'd be interesting to have a story on a super fast ship. The crew would travel between stars and age relatively little while entire centuries pass in the universe. I only wonder what kind of story you could build around that concept.
                      Didn't they do that already with part of the Ender's Game series? Been a while since I read it, but I think in Speaker for the Dead, Ender experiences relativistic time traveling between star systems.

Also in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, the Ultras are transhumans who live long lives by traveling at near light speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
                        Didn't they do that already with part of the Ender's Game series? Been a while since I read it, but I think in Speaker for the Dead, Ender experiences relativistic time traveling between star systems.

Also in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, the Ultras are transhumans who live long lives by traveling at near light speed.
                        If they did, I wouldn't know. I've never looked into the first series, and didn't even know the second existed.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

I think building a generation ship is fascinating. It would have to be a completely self-sustaining ecosystem to support life for thousands of years.

I'm reading the Leviathan Wakes series by James S A Corey, in which they build a generation ship which is later converted to a warship. It's one of the most interesting parts of the whole series.

Comment

Here you go link to story

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/21/us...lane-stowaway/

Comment

The two books that leap to mind are "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, and "Tao Zero" by Poul Anderson. Both are great books and well worth reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X