Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For Some Scifi Recommendations

Hello everyone,

I don't feel entirely comfortable creating this thread, because there are probably a bunch of similar ones or other places I could ask this question, but I just can't find anything. I do apologize if this thread is unwanted.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some recommendations from you guys. I am looking for a new science fiction show to get into, but feel like I've watched pretty much everything that's worth watching already. The shows I've seen are the following: SG-1, Atlantis, SGU, TNG, DS9, B5, FarScape and Firefly. I like them all a lot, especially SG-1, TNG and B5, and I'm looking for something similar. It should be a real science fiction show, not just one with scifi elements like The X Files or Outer Limits. Also, it should mostly be a dramatic series. There are a couple of shows I'm considering, but different reasons are holding me back from watching them:

Star Trek: While it's kind of shameful to admit, the series just looks and feels a little bit too dated for my taste, especially since, as a scifi show, it's relying on special effects and sets that just don't hold up.

Star Trek: Voyager: I've seen the first twelve episodes of the show already, but I'm not really enjoying it so far. It definitely has this adventure and discovery vibe, but the characters are all so bland and boring.

Star Trek: Enterprise: Apparently the show gets a lot better for its final season or two due to a change in writers, but everywhere I've looked, the rest of it was pretty much described as the weakest Star Trek of all.

Battlestar Galactica: This show is really highly praised, but judging by all the media I've seen about it, the series just feels like a black and white military story with love affairs set in space. I don't get any sense of adventure, awe or wonder from it.

Andromeda: Apparently, the series starts falling apart after the first few episodes.

Now, if you where in my shoes, which of these series should I watch? Does Voyager get any better? Is the finally season of Enterprise worth the trouble? Are my impressions of BSG correct? Or is the original Star Trek the best option in this case? Maybe there are other good series that I'm overlooking. There is one with Nicole De Boer, and of course Crusade, but the few videos about those shows that I've seen don't really grab me. Plus Crusade apparently finished abruptly and unfinished.

Again, I would really appreciate some insight on these shows. I am in need of science fction television, but feel like I've watched the best of the best already. Certainly Voyager and Enterprise are semi decent shows, but at least the beginning of Voyager feels like a huge letdown after all these great shows. Is Defiance any good?
    Last edited by ZGoten; 21 January 2014, 09:35 AM.

Andromeda falls apart after season 3, some great stuff before that through. Which is better BSG manage falls apart even quicker, after the first season it goes to pieces, may be if I was being generous 2nd season. But the last 2 seasons are nearly unwatchable.

There are great episodes in all seasons of STV and STE.

Nicole Deepwater Black and Deadzone ended before their time.
    Crusade
    There Starhunter which ended before it time. But both season 1 and season 2 are very different. An this show is apparently being revived in the near future as well.

Of cause there oldies, Blake 7, Space 1999, UFO, Buck Rogers, BSG classic, Lost in Space

Space Precinct

Earth Final Conflict, another Gene Roddenberry story

First Wave, which is a pretty good show.

Now and Again

Comment

Why not try anime? even older ones?
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I've got two for you:

Revolution - set in the future after the whole world lost all forms of electricity and most technology. North America is dominated by new countries with warlords and armies. Half way through its second season.

Defiance - (seriously watch this one if you can) set after seven alien races show up at Earth, wars break out, the planet is terraformed (Antarctica is a tropical beach, Vegas is a volcano-filled swamp, most of North America is plagued by huge and powerful storms), alien species have been released and more were combined with Earth speices (some Earth species were also crossed - like the Pow, a cross between a pig and a cow, yummy!), pieces of the alien ships still in orbit drop down and bring resources and technology. The show also is tied the Defiance game, but you don't need to play if you don't want to. It is the biggest show that Syfy has ever done and the first transmedia show from the get go. Finished their first season and the second starts in June.

Comment

Knowles2 has already mentioned this, but I'd like to recommend Blake's 7 as well. If you like Babylon 5 and Firefly then you may like it, as it is the grandfather of both of them. You will have to ignore the poor special effects, bearing in mind it is an old programe, but if you persist you will get an excellent storyline and one of the most shocking endings in sci fi.

Basically the premise is that political dissident Roj Blake is framed by the evil Federation for something he didn't do. He escapes in a stolen spaceship and goes on the run with a motley crew of thieves, smugglers and murderers and vows to get his revenge. He is hotly pursued by Supreme Commander Servalan (one of the best baddies ever) and her evil henchman Travis.

Edit -

I found this little fan made trailer which gives an idea of what it's like

Last edited by Blencathra; 22 January 2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

revolution is okay and defiance is avg at best...

i am not a star trek fan at all... for me the best story is with B5 and the most fun is stargate saga and i never really loved firefly...

if you want funny then try red dwarf... it is damn funny and awesome...

bsg is very dark and painfully depressing at times... it is not black and white, the characters are super rich and the story is very interesting although the dark nature of the show gets too much to handle sometimes... the over religious tones put people off but i am fine with it as i am a religious person myself... definitely see it if you want awesome action and character based drama(seriously, the character building is awesome though too dark to handle sometimes)... even if you do not like it, it is not something you want to miss.. the drama is better than sgu atleast...

andromeda... you should watch it, it is sometimes bad but sometimes very rewarding... it is at the very least full of space battles and fun to watch and again should not be missed...

the new show continuum is pretty good and has a good story line....

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I looked into everything you have suggested, some of which I had already informed myself about at some point, but most of it doesn't really appeal to me. I haven't heard anything good about Defiance or Earth: Final Conflict so far and Revolution isn't the kind of science fiction I'm looking for. I may check out Earth: Final Conflict at some point, though, since it does look intriguing from a visual standpoint.

Maybe I should watch BSG, simply in order to know what people are talking about. No doubt it has left its mark in the sci-fi landscape. However, now that you mentioned this religious undertone, destiny khan, I'm even less interested.

I have to say that that Blake's 7 trailer looks quite good, though. You mentioned Babylon 5 and Firefly, Blencathra, but on first sight, I'm kind of reminded of the style of action of FarScape. I'm missing some alien faces in that clip, but otherwise I'm really intrigued.

Comment

I hope you will give Blake's 7 a try. I just worry a little that it may be too old fashioned and that the awful special effects might put you off. However, the makers of B7 knew that their budget wasn't up to any fancy effects, so they played to their strengths, which is character development and storyline. You fall in love with these people, warts and all. The development for the character called Avon is particularly good, as we see him slowly fall apart.

Blake's 7 was the innovator of gritty, evolving story lines (rather than a reset as the end of each episode like Star Trek) and end of season cliffhangers. Joss Whedon particularly said that Blake's 7 was an influence on Firefly and you can definitely see it.

BTW Blake's 7 still has a cult following in the UK, an active fan forum, and Big Finish are now making audio dramas and books which fills me with absolute joy. As you may have guessed I am a bit of a fan

Comment

Originally posted by ZGoten View Post
                  I haven't heard anything good about Defiance
                  The problem is that people hear alien ships and war and assume that is what they are going to see, when Defiance is set after that. It is a very good show and if you get into it you see just how complex it is - 5 invented languages, species histories, even musical histories of many of the races.

Comment

Originally posted by ZGoten View Post
                    Maybe I should watch BSG, simply in order to know what people are talking about. No doubt it has left its mark in the sci-fi landscape. However, now that you mentioned this religious undertone, destiny khan, I'm even less interested.
                    You are one of those who are automatically put off by the mere idea that they would have to give an ear to religious ideas or views? I know that feeling, but trust me, you can't escape life without dealing with religions.
                    It is all around, and makes for very epic stories. Plus the mythology and fictional layers don't force you to accept anything, just go at it with an open mind.
                    If you can't, then you'll also be unable to consider watching Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
                    I don't enjoy much of Trek, I'm rather unexcited by the style, clothes and sets, yet the plots of DS9 are some of the deepest you can find in SF. Well, since RD Moore worked on both shows, it wouldn't come as surprising.

If you want stupid fun drama, also try Doctor Who. You don't even have to start with the first series, you can pick up at the 9th Doctor.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

The religious undertone is that some higher being may or may not be involved. Unlike SG's religious undertones, this is largely left to the viewer to decide as it may also be down to sheer luck or circumstances. The irony is that it's the cylons who are fanatically religious but aren't the stereotypical sheeple: it's about a question of existence.

Comment

Well, You should definitely watch the new version of V (the old one was made in 80's, You can try that one, too). Anyway, the new one has a few people from Firefly in it (Morena Baccarin leads, Alan Tudyk for a few episodes) + Laura Vandervoort, who, at least for me, would be a reason to watch even a two hours long documentary movie about the life of Justin Bieber (and yes, I hate that guy).

Besides V, there's also Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary. 4 seasons of quality science-fiction, I admit I think the first season is the weakest, so try to give it a time.

And then You should try some british stuff. Doctor Who, of course, then Misfits (if Your stomach is strong enough) and Primeval (for me, that show really has a Stargate feel, it just travels through time instead of space).

Comment

Voyager does pick up as it goes. It one of those shows that has great episodes and some not so great. That being said great character development and as you said is an adventure.

I would also suggest:

Primeval: it is a great story that follows a group of scientists (mostly) who discover anomalies that lead to different places in the past or future. And it becomes their job to deal with the creatures (dinosaurs mostly) that escape in to modern London.The characters are well developed (particularly Connor). Its a bit like stargate in that there is a team and they work in a secret government job. Its a good show and everyone has English accents .

Sanctuary: is also a great show, that yeah it picks up after season 1.

edit: lol I didn't even notice that Primeval was mentioned. But theres a basic description since its a bit upscare.
                          sigpic

Comment

@Mister Oragahn: I've already watched DS9, and the whole Bejoran thing was by far the least interesting aspect of it. I'm not immediately put off by religious elements, but they have to be done well.

@blueray: Thanks for suggesting Primeval and Sanctuary, but they are not really what I consider science fiction. Also, I've seen the first two seasons of Sancturay. It was quite good, but I somehow don't feel like continuing.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                              I would also suggest:

Primeval: it is a great story that follows a group of scientists (mostly) who discover anomalies that lead to different places in the past or future. And it becomes their job to deal with the creatures (dinosaurs mostly) that escape in to modern London.The characters are well developed (particularly Connor). Its a bit like stargate in that there is a team and they work in a secret government job. Its a good show and everyone has English accents.
                              Um no they don't. Professor Nick Cutter (Douglas Henshall) is Scottish and Matt Anderson (Ciarán McMenamin) is from Northern Ireland. Neither of them have English accents.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X