Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with women in armour?

Is this a new trend in Hollyweird?

Women in armour, and not just any armour but figure hugging armour. I mean we've had a couple of examples though there's probably more. Snow White and The Huntsman, Jack The Giant Slayer (which I liked), Alice in wonderland (not seen), and Robin Hood.

What next for females on body armour of a sexy nature for Hollywood.

I don't mind it but I'm just puzzled with it.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

It's an extrapolation of "women in uniform" for the red-blooded men portion of the audience. It's why Thor, Wolverine, et al, keep losing their shirts.

In pretty much every period I'm familiar with, women were not warriors. Roles have been gender specific for millennia (until the end of the last one), so in reality it would never have occurred (except for very special cases, e.g. Queen Elizabeth I, but her armour was symbolic and would never have seen battle). As such, any armour-clad women tends to be fantasy or other branches of fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
      It's an extrapolation of "women in uniform" for the red-blooded men portion of the audience. It's why Thor, Wolverine, et al, keep losing their shirts.

In pretty much every period I'm familiar with, women were not warriors. Roles have been gender specific for millennia (until the end of the last one), so in reality it would never have occurred (except for very special cases, e.g. Queen Elizabeth I, but her armour was symbolic and would never have seen battle). As such, any armour-clad women tends to be fantasy or other branches of fiction.
      Or the rare cases of female commanders and females impersonating males in order to fight. Not often but there were cases of it (Joan of Arc, Boudicca, etc)
      sigpic

Comment

Because Hollywood (the world) is starting to see women as people and are thus writing them as warriors and other figures rather than the role of mother/wife/love interest. It's one of the better "Hollywood" trends out there. Still needs work (looking at you, chain maille bikini!!!) but it's getting there. I didn't know it was a problem, honestly.
        Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
        Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post

Add to that almost all of comics, fantasy games/paintings/drawings, they all seem to wear skin tight suits of armor that barely protects just their femine parts, let alone all of them..

Comment

Lol...chain mail bikini.

Reminds me of the video games where the highest class of armor for women are often metal bras and underwear. Ah, teenage years, ogling pixels...
            sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, if I could fight baddies in a chain maille bikini and not get hurt, oh haell yeah I'd wear it. But it's simply not practical and I don't like being the feeling of being ogled. It's rather unnerving, honestly.
              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Brienne from Game of Thrones would like a pointed word with anyone who tries to get her into girlie armour.

Brarmour just isn't practical.For a start,the weight of all the links would have a rather stretchy effect and I'd imagine not a painless one...so a fitted breastplate over a deep layer of cotton or woolen padding would be the easiest and least sexualised way to have a female character look right and have the flexibility needed to wield anything heavier than a table dagger.

Then there's the issue of training to consider.No good looking like a Warrior Queen if you put your own shoulder or eye out in the first duel.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Brienne from Game of Thrones would like a pointed word with anyone who tries to get her into girlie armour.

Brarmour just isn't practical.For a start,the weight of all the links would have a rather stretchy effect and I'd imagine not a painless one...so a fitted breastplate over a deep layer of cotton or woolen padding would be the easiest and least sexualised way to have a female character look right and have the flexibility needed to wield anything heavier than a table dagger.
                  It's Mithril DUH!!
                  how else would it keep it's high gloss shine??
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

LOTR and Vid game special gear for the win.It explains everything in Hollywood!

I still think it's laughable to see twiglets in a shiny corset trying to look fierce,fast and capable.
                    When I had to put on all the gear once just to test out what Knights and medieval (sp?) Soldiers wore,I could barely walk,and at the time I was quite buff for a female.The sword was an absolute beast and I had to use both hands just to balance and lift it.
                    (I decided not to join the re-enactment society at that point.Any opponent would've laughed himself to death,and that's no good.)

Anyone got any good examples of women in scifi/fantasy who look like they could fight in the stuff they wear?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      LOTR and Vid game special gear for the win.It explains everything in Hollywood!
                      Damn right!!
                      I still think it's laughable to see twiglets in a shiny corset trying to look fierce,fast and capable.
                      When I had to put on all the gear once just to test out what Knights and medieval (sp?) Soldiers wore,I could barely walk,and at the time I was quite buff for a female.The sword was an absolute beast and I had to use both hands just to balance and lift it.
                      (I decided not to join the re-enactment society at that point.Any opponent would've laughed himself to death,and that's no good.)
                      40-60 kilo's of chain tends to slow someone down, add in a shield and yeah............

Anyone got any good examples of women in scifi/fantasy who look like they could fight in the stuff they wear?
                      Red Sonja is the only one that I can think of off hand, but she was in leather more than chain.

Edit: Kitiara from Dragonlance looks like she could fight in what she is pictured in.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

In regards to the original post, it isn't exactly a recent thing.

Remember Xena.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Are you aware that Baen books publish/published a series of anthologies.

Chicks in Chainmail
                          Did you Say Chicks
                          Chicks and Chained Males
                          The Chick's in the Mail
                          Turn the Other Chick

They all have tales of Warrior maidens. And Women in Chain Mail armour and Bronze Bra's.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Push Up Bra.

All It is.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Damn right!!
                              That,plus the libido-boosting potential of hunks and hotties running round defying death and dishonour.
                              Always a winner.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
                              40-60 kilo's of chain tends to slow someone down, add in a shield and yeah............
                              Know what you mean!

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
                              Red Sonja is the only one that I can think of off hand, but she was in leather more than chain.

Edit: Kitiara from Dragonlance looks like she could fight in what she is pictured in.
                              Two fine examples.
                              How about the chars Sandahl Bergman played in Conan and She?

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              In regards to the original post, it isn't exactly a recent thing.

Remember Xena.
                              Xena was quite something.I always used to think she could've used better defence armour though and maybe more historically accurate stories.
                              (Kidding really.It was ok for it's time and Lucy Lawless is always worth a view or ten,though I've preferred her acting in BSG and other shows.)

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                              Are you aware that Baen books publish/published a series of anthologies.

Chicks in Chainmail
                              Did you Say Chicks
                              Chicks and Chained Males
                              The Chick's in the Mail
                              Turn the Other Chick

They all have tales of Warrior maidens. And Women in Chain Mail armour and Bronze Bra's.
                              Book babes galore in Scifi genre novels too.Plus the Fantasy Warrior Babes complete with gravity-defying upper body clothing that looks like it was made from gossamer...

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                              Push Up Bra.

All It is.
                              Well yeah.

Were you expecting intellectual stuff too?

Comment

Working...
                              X