Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs from or about sci fi and fantasy

Hi all,

I do a radioshow here in Australia. It's at a local studio, but we broadcast online too. My final show is coming up, and I wanted to do a science fiction/fantasy special.

I've already started work on the playlist, but I'm hoping to get your suggestions. I'm not just after movie soundtracks, but songs about sci fi and fantasy books, tv series and movies as well as songs about concepts from the genre.

So what do you guys think I can't do without?
    sigpicIn Soviet Russia, sig read you.

German metal band Blind Guardian have fantasy themes in many of their songs, particularly LotR.

Tania Opland and Mike Freeman do acoustic folk music, and in the past have done some collaborations with Anne McCaffrey (setting her Pern songs to music).

The Queen song "'39", sung by Brian May.

Nightwish have lots of songs with a vaguely fantasy theme, and Tutankhamen has direct references to Stargate (it mentions Carter by name).
    sigpic

Comment

Songs about Sci-fi or Fantasy...!
      Ok... <Thinks>

There's:
      'Flash' about Flash Gordon by Queen
      'I lost my Heart to a Starship Trooper' by Hot Gossip featuring Sarah Brightman
      'Calling International Rescue' By Fuzzbox. It's about Thunderbirds.

The RAH Band did several Sci-fi themed songs on their album 'Past, Present and Future'
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Queen did the entire soundtrack for Flash Gordon (1980).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          I actually own a CD of the soundtrack to the movie.
          But I picked the title track because it was the first thing that sprung to mind.

:: Puts thinking cap on again ::

I know you are not just looking for movie/TV themes. But there are a lot of themes you can use... You should play the theme from 'Star Wars' or 'Duel of Fates' from Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace. Then there is Doctor Who, Star Trek, Thunderbirds, Superman, which are recognisable and known. And of course there is 'Fly Me To The Moon' it's a classic and will surprise your listener's...!

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            Queen also did the soundtrack from the original Highlander movie (1986) as well.

Comment

What is the nature of your radio channel and what kind of music does it usually play? How long is your special? How many tracks would you like to play? Do you lean more on orchestral music or pop/+contemporary music? Or do you plan to take a historical journey in sci-fi movie music?

Edit: With pop/contemporary I meant anything that's not orchestral. So that includes Electronica and Techno-Industrial.
              Last edited by Mardus; 07 September 2013, 07:55 PM. Reason: See second para
              • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
              • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
              • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

I suppose the better part of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars could work.
                sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardus View Post
                  What is the nature of your radio channel and what kind of music does it usually play? How long is your special? How many tracks would you like to play? Do you lean more on orchestral music or pop music? Or do you plan to take a historical journey in sci-fi movie music?
                  It's quite a mixed bag as far as the station is concerned. It's community radio, so we are supposed to be. we're run by a group of volunteer presenters.
                  My final show will be 4 hours instead of 2, because the show after mine have agreed to allow me to take over theirs in a sort of mock lockdown kind of thing.
                  I want to essentially do all 3 of these things. I don't want the listeners to know where I'm going with it at all times, and I want to surprise people.
                  sigpicIn Soviet Russia, sig read you.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Pookey beat me to it...

Of course there is also 'Timewarp' from the Rocky Horror Show.

Comment

a good one that seems to be less well known is "universe" by The Living End. it has clear science fiction themes but its a great song. its off their latest album "the ending is just the beginning repeating".

other ones? the Flash Gordon theme, Iron Maiden's "to tame a land" and of course, who could forget Major Tom (a space Oddity)

there are a lot of songs that aren't Directly sci-fi related but might carry some sci-fi like theme. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons comes to mind

of course, there's always The Saga Begins by Weird Al Yankovic?

Comment

ah, seems maneth beet me to the flash gordon theme

and i second the highlander soundtrack, one of the best soundtracks ever

Comment

My thoughts -

Cold City by David O'Brien was used in Red Dwarf Back to Earth

Dr Who by Orbital

Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes by Bowie, used for the TV programmes of the same name

Anything by Murray Gold for Doctor Who

Comment

How about Enya or Clannad.

Enya because of 'Lord of the Rings'
                              Clannad because of 'Robin Hood'

Comment

Working...
                              X