This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan Cranston reportedly cast as Lex Luthor in Man of Steel sequel

Bryan Cranston reportedly cast as Lex Luthor in The Man of Steel Sequel is the first bit of news that has me even slightly interested in seeing this movie. Of course Kevin Spacey cast as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns is why I wanted to see that movie and what a disappointment. Here it is. . .

http://www.eonline.com/news/452345/b...mdb_topstories

Can't say that this thrills me, I've never been able to get into Braking Bad and I thought he wasn't particularly good as the villain in the "Total Recall" remake.

Comment

He will do fine but isn't he too old for this role?

Comment

Cranston'd be great (be a better Jim Gordon though), but I'm somewhat dubious about how authentic this is. None of the major outlets seem to have corroborated this at all, they're just going off the original story.

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
        He will do fine but isn't he too old for this role?
        Why?

Comment

I personally would have liked Lex to be about the same age as Superman. A young, ambitious Luther would make for a more interesting villain.

Comment

i AM a Luthor

sorry couldnt resist, breaking bad fans will get it
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              I personally would have liked Lex to be about the same age as Superman. A young, ambitious Luther would make for a more interesting villain.
              In my opinion, that would only make a shred of difference if they were willing to give Luthor equal screen time, which has a likelihood of zero in a movie featuring both Batman & Superman.

Remember, even the Joker didn't have character development in the Dark Knight because he's famously the villain without a true backstory: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

In the context we're going to see him, I'd say it would only benefit from him being an older more established man. Lex is of comparable wealth & intellect to Batman, so if it was a 20-something up-and-coming Lex, how much of a challenge would he be to 42 year-old veteran industrialist & crime fighter Batman, teamed up with an essentially immortal alien?

It would take an established, scheming, and full-blown evil tyrant Lex to pose a threat to those guys.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

But presumably Cranston is signing on for a multi movie deal, so even if he doesn't get much screen time in "Batman/Superman" he might get it in a subsequent movie...

They need to set up the rivalry between Lex and Superman in a manner that makes sense. IMO it would make more sense for Lex to be jealous of Superman if the two are roughly the same age and Lex feels eclipsed. This would then lead to him trying to find way's to bring Superman down.

But this of course only applies of they are going to make things personal. If they are just going with "evil billionaire who does illegal things to make money and feels his revenue source is being threatened" then an older Lex is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

I look forward to seeing him tackle this role. I think he could make a good Lex Luthor.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This is a rumor that a friend told me and it is likely something he just made up, as a quick scan of the internet revealed no corroboration for his statement. I didn't give it the credence of a thread to itself, but I thought it might be something to ponder for those interested enough to look back into this thread.

Justin Timberlake cast to play The Riddler.

Like I said, I am 99.9% sure my friend just made this up and I doubt they would throw that into the Batman / Superman movie, but it is an interesting concept to me for the future of Batman movies. I don't know or really enjoy his music, but I have yet to see a movie or TV show he has been in that I didn't like him. I don't even blame him for how disappointed I was with In Time (2011). So I think there is a general consensus that Cranston is not a terrible choice for Lex Luthor, just a little disappointing to some people. What would everyone think about Timberlake as The Riddler in any future Batman movie, not just this Batman / Superman deal?

Comment

I heard that he was campaigning for the role, not that he got the role.

Timberlake would be a horrible choice for the riddler, he's a terrible actor and would never be able to handle the role.

Of the top of my head I'd say that Michael Emerson might be a good Riddler, at least much better than JT.

Comment

Looks like Cranston hasn't been cast:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-luthor-rumors

Comment

Working...
                        X