Why evolution/genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why evolution/genetics

In tv series such as Heroes, stargate, possibly the 4400 and many other tv series, people gain special abilities/powers from evolution/in there genetics. But I was thinking today, if humans were to evolve to a state where we had powers, unlike these tv series wouldn't we all have the same power? I could be wrong but from what I look at when I read about evolution the new species that evolves through the evolution process all end up with the same protection/ability in there genetics, but in these tv series humans all end up with different abilities, so my question is not whether the powers/abilities are realistic but is it realistic that people would end up with all different abilities, in reality wouldn't the new species end up with the same as each other.

You could argue that different DNA combinations result in different powers, that is, that there have been separate mutations in different people which each resulted in different powers. If so then the only way for all humans to gain the same power is if one of those powers is so dominant that only those with those powers survive and manage to pass on their genes. That's how new species are born, a member of an older species gives birth to a baby that has traits which allows it to flourish and be the most desirable mate when it grows up. It then produces multiple offspring that inherit this trait and thus become the most desirable of their generation and this then repeats over thousands of years until only those with the new trait remain.

p.s. in the 4400 the powers weren't evolution/mutation but directly created with specific intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
      is it realistic that people would end up with all different abilities, in reality wouldn't the new species end up with the same as each other.
      It strongly, strongly depends on how the power is achieved via genetics.

The key thing many people forget or dont know about genetics is that every gene is just a code for a chemical. Of course this gets slightly muddied by the fact that there are controller genes too. (genes that activate large portions of genetic code. IE, cel-suicide requires 5 controller genes to be activated, then the cells starts to produce enzymes to break itself down etc).

If complex powers arise, individuals might have enough genetic diversity to have a per-person power.

I should note that in many shows, these gene-based powers are often not so much evolved but mutated. So its just 1 person having that power, it's not an entire new race. However, i would expect mutants to breed new mutants.

Comment

the 4400
        Spoiler:
        was related to a drug that gave people powers (promison, which don't know how to spell). If taken there a 50/50 chance of getting a power or dying. Of course the people that were the 4400 seemed to be have 100% survival rate which is why they were chosen.

My take on it is that a lot of writers use genetics or evolution because it helps things be easier to explain and gives a reason why it is happening to some and not others.
        Last edited by blueray; 14 July 2013, 01:39 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

In the 4400 we don't know for certain how they were given their powers.

Don't want to spoil anything just in case someone here hasn't seen the show and decides to give it a go (which they should since it was a great show)

Spoiler:
          The drug was something developed by people to achieve the same effect thought it was very dangerous.

The original 4400 were abducted by people from the future and given their powers by those future people. Presumably the future people used something like the drug but it might have been a much safer drug and one where the results were known ahead of time
          Last edited by Wyrminarrd; 14 July 2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
            In the 4400 we don't know for certain how they were given their powers. The drug was something developed by people to achieve the same effect thought it was very dangerous. Don't want to spoil anything just in case someone here hasn't seen the show and decides to give it a go (which they should since it was a great show)

Spoiler:
            The original 4400 were abducted by people from the future and given their powers by those future people. Presumably the future people used something like the drug but it might have been a much safer drug and one where the results were known ahead of time
            good point
            Spoiler:
            it is in their blood but I guess they never really say if it is a drug, since the drug was developed by Kevin, which I forgot about. And he had to test it on himself (and Diana).

And it is a great show that definitely should be watched, I hope I didn't spoil people. I'll put what I said in tags right now.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X