World of Warcraft for Newbies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World of Warcraft for Newbies!

Ok so I've looked around and can't seem to find a thread about WoW. I'm just downloading it now and am wondering if anyone can give me tips/advice/guidance on game play and what to expect.

Oh and I should mention I have never played any RPG or MMORPG before, EVER! So I'm totally in the dark here. I'm doing this more out of curiosity and a desire to know what people are all talking about!

HELP!
    sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
    Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
    GateCon Vancouver 2011
    Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Hey there! I hope you enjoy WOW; I've played it for years, and there are loads of ways to enjoy it. There are some threads on the official Blizz site with player advice for new starters, but here is my advice for what it's worth...

1. Hunter is probably the easiest class to start on (although be warned it not the easiest to play well!).
    2. Never believe anything you are told in /trade without checking it on a site like wowhead.
    3. Learn to laugh at all the silly mistakes you'll make, it's a rite of passage. If you don't have a tale like "I got all my gear from a vendor until I was level 50" then you'll feel out of place later, hehe.
    4. Turn the music on - it is lovely.
    5. Join a levelling / social guild if there is one on your server, or even better get a real life friend to help you level. They both should be able to show you the ropes... But don't rush the experience - taking time to enjoy the quests is fun.
    6. (Hard one this) Try not to fall in love with your first character, give a few alts a go and then stick with the one you like the play style of best.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SailorSueUK View Post
      Hey there! I hope you enjoy WOW; I've played it for years, and there are loads of ways to enjoy it. There are some threads on the official Blizz site with player advice for new starters, but here is my advice for what it's worth...

1. Hunter is probably the easiest class to start on (although be warned it not the easiest to play well!).
      2. Never believe anything you are told in /trade without checking it on a site like wowhead.
      3. Learn to laugh at all the silly mistakes you'll make, it's a rite of passage. If you don't have a tale like "I got all my gear from a vendor until I was level 50" then you'll feel out of place later, hehe.
      4. Turn the music on - it is lovely.
      5. Join a levelling / social guild if there is one on your server, or even better get a real life friend to help you level. They both should be able to show you the ropes... But don't rush the experience - taking time to enjoy the quests is fun.
      6. (Hard one this) Try not to fall in love with your first character, give a few alts a go and then stick with the one you like the play style of best.

Good luck!
      Thanks so much for the tips. Can I pick your brain with a few more questions?

1. What race is the best to start with? And why Hunter? what about Priest or Mage?
      2. Can you explain what you meant by don't trust anything I'm told?
      3. Being a girl, I can't say I have a lot of friends that would even understand my desire to play wow, let alone play themselves. Where is a good place to make friends or join a group?
      4. How quick do the levels go? I don't want to plow through the starter too quickly either.

Thanks again.

Conventions:
      GateCon Vancouver 2011

Comment

1:Hunters are a "DPS class" which means they concentrate on throwing out as much damage as possible in the shortest time, they are also a ranged class which helps your survivability when you start out and they get a pet to keep monsters of your back and to help you.

2: People *will* try to BS you and wrought you in trade, that's just the nature of MMO's, some will be quite honest, but the majority probably won't be. It's just a friendly heads up really.

3: There are *plenty* of girls playing WOW these days, you won't be that out of place best place to join a guild is in the major cities but quite often people hang out in the "start area's" and recruit new players right away. The first guild I would try to join is just a "levelling guild" where people are just loosely associated for the XP benefits of being in a guild and not much else. If you ask around to join a guild, it should not be that hard to join one and you can always quit the guild if it is not right for you.
        4: the first 10 levels are pretty quick and then they start to slow down. If you played all day you would come close to finishing the free to play part in a day, but if you take your time, a week would be about right, depends on how hooked you get.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Exactly wot she said :-)

I forgot to mention before that I joined the livejournal site wowladies. It's really active and friendly, and has loads of people asking for advice from hardcore raiders to casual new players starting out so you are bound to be able to find someone who has asked the question you want to ask before... Or someone who knows the answer.

As for which race to pick, read the blurb on the starter screen and click the one you like the sound of :-). They all come with racial talents and stuff, but The game is super- carefully balanced so they are all pretty even in terms of advantages you get. Personally I like the bouncy thing the night elves do, and that was a good enough reason for me!

Comment

Originally posted by SailorSueUK View Post
            Exactly wot she said :-)
            She is a HE
            I forgot to mention before that I joined the livejournal site wowladies. It's really active and friendly, and has loads of people asking for advice from hardcore raiders to casual new players starting out so you are bound to be able to find someone who has asked the question you want to ask before... Or someone who knows the answer.
            Girl gamer support networks???
            Oh if only we guys had them 20 years ago when we were EBIL SPAWN OF HELL!!!

As for which race to pick, read the blurb on the starter screen and click the one you like the sound of :-). They all come with racial talents and stuff, but The game is super- carefully balanced so they are all pretty even in terms of advantages you get. Personally I like the bouncy thing the night elves do, and that was a good enough reason for me!
            The elves seem to be the most popular choice for female gamers, they are "pretty"
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for all you comments!

I Started playing finally last night and ended up having to pry my achy cramped hand off the keyboard to stop playing!! I think my hand actually went numb at one point (suggesting I clearly need to move my keyboard down or my chair up!!). I also thought my computer was going to ignite it got so hot.

But all that aside, this is a SWEET game and I'm beginning to understand why people love it. Some parts were way easier than I expected, but then some aspects are just as confusing as I thought they would be!

For example, I have NO idea how to fight properly! I look like a crazy person, or rather Draenei just waking/shooting/hitting/swinging away at my opponent. I say all those cause quite frankly I have NO IDEA what I'm actually doing. Then there is my pet! Am I supposed to be controlling it or does it just do its thing? ugh....

And then there's the issue of me accidently killing creatures I was suppose to inoculate, all before finally figuring out how to do that! I couldnt figure out how to use the crystal I had....took me like 15 min, 3 dead creatures, and a bunch of random wandering waving this crystal around to realize I had to plunk it in that tool bar at the bottom of the screen. double ugh....

Anyways...thanks everyone for helping me out. I'll keep posting questions and updates on how things are going, and hopefully this could turn into a fun thread to chat about the game!

Conventions:
              GateCon Vancouver 2011

Comment

Originally posted by MylittleEli View Post
                Thanks everyone for all you comments!

I Started playing finally last night and ended up having to pry my achy cramped hand off the keyboard to stop playing!! I think my hand actually went numb at one point (suggesting I clearly need to move my keyboard down or my chair up!!). I also thought my computer was going to ignite it got so hot.
                You could try turning some of the graphics features down, that may help with your heating issues.

But all that aside, this is a SWEET game and I'm beginning to understand why people love it. Some parts were way easier than I expected, but then some aspects are just as confusing as I thought they would be!

For example, I have NO idea how to fight properly! I look like a crazy person, or rather Draenei just waking/shooting/hitting/swinging away at my opponent. I say all those cause quite frankly I have NO IDEA what I'm actually doing.
                As you go up in levels and get more abilities you will find a "rotation" that works for you and fighting will become second nature to you. Your best bet is to stay out of melee range as much as you can though as hunter armour is not the best.
                Then there is my pet! Am I supposed to be controlling it or does it just do its thing? ugh....
                When you first start out it tends to "do it's thing". You can target someone though and tell your pet to go after them (highlight enemy, then press CTRL+1 (if I am remembering right) and your pet should fly off to them and attack) letting you just sit back and shoot.

And then there's the issue of me accidently killing creatures I was suppose to inoculate, all before finally figuring out how to do that! I couldnt figure out how to use the crystal I had....took me like 15 min, 3 dead creatures, and a bunch of random wandering waving this crystal around to realize I had to plunk it in that tool bar at the bottom of the screen. double ugh....
                LOL, that's the kind of stuff you will just have to learn the hard way, don't worry about that

Anyways...thanks everyone for helping me out. I'll keep posting questions and updates on how things are going, and hopefully this could turn into a fun thread to chat about the game!
                NP
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X