New SF shows on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SF shows on TV

Apart from Doctor Who and the SCC, I feel uninspired by any of the new SF shows out there. I dont know why, but I think I dont enjoy what I call SF/soap shows like Heroes or V.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

There's Warehouse 13, Sanctuary and Eureka...

Comment

I kind of agree with you, although, it depends on what you define as Science-Fiction.
      There's Primeval. It really is a great TV Show, even though we can say it's more a Fantasy show.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
        There's Warehouse 13, Sanctuary and Eureka...
        Plus the brand new "Walking Dead" - simply amazing

Comment

There is the new Steven Spielberg show debuting in June, called FALLING SKIES. It stars Noah Wyle ("ER"). I saw the trailer over at IMDB and it looks pretty good. Otherwise, a lot of science fiction on TV falls into two categories: episodic or arc-driven. Episodic shows (Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc.) tend to be more formula-driven, while arc-driven shows can be complicatead, then tend to have shorter lives and do less well in syndication (where the real money is made) because people don't want to have to watch episode #3 to understand episode #4.

I like "V", but if it was gone, I wouldn't get upset, like I do when STargate gets axed. Hmm... and I like Doctor Who, but that's on BBC America now which my cable doesn't offer (pffft) so.... yeah, slim pickings.

Comment

i agree, there aren't really any good sci-fi shows (since lost ended). i never got into fringe or v. so i don't know if they're any good. i tried the event but it was kind of slow and the characters did stupid things. maybe i'm just really picky.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
              Apart from Doctor Who and the SCC, I feel uninspired by any of the new SF shows out there. I dont know why, but I think I dont enjoy what I call SF/soap shows like Heroes or V.
              Why does it have to be science-fiction? Branch out. Check out Sanctuary. It's fantasy, but it's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                I like "V", but if it was gone, I wouldn't get upset, like I do when STargate gets axed. Hmm... and I like Doctor Who, but that's on BBC America now which my cable doesn't offer (pffft) so.... yeah, slim pickings.
                That's an interesting point, I live in the Uk only only have Freeview so miss a lot of the US shows.
                "You don't know half of it".
                Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  There is the new Steven Spielberg show debuting in June, called FALLING SKIES. It stars Noah Wyle ("ER"). I saw the trailer over at IMDB and it looks pretty good. Otherwise, a lot of science fiction on TV falls into two categories: episodic or arc-driven. Episodic shows (Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc.) tend to be more formula-driven, while arc-driven shows can be complicatead, then tend to have shorter lives and do less well in syndication (where the real money is made) because people don't want to have to watch episode #3 to understand episode #4.

Falling Skies looks interesting, but the trailer didn't get me nearly as excited as SGU.
                  SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
                  SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
                  ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
                  Spoiler:
                  *beep*
                  Young: "What the hell was that?"
                  Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Wow. Falling Skies looks pretty great. Can't wait to see that one when it premieres.
                    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

One man's trash is another man's treasure
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Because Sci-fi is both a niche market and costs more to create than regular TV. Not a winning combination.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

because so many morons keep watching trash like ghost hunters, so they keep making those instead of good scripted TV, and they do it happily because it's way cheaper for them.

what people and TV execs don't remember is that if you want quality, you have to pay for it - just like anything else in the world.
                          THe only problem is there are so many people in the world that lack taste of any sort, which is why crap like American Idol, and Dancing with the Stars reign supreme, and knock off shows like SGU, and BSG, and frankly I'm still incredibly pissed that NBC axed the show Life with Damian Lewis. That show was so awesome.

Comment

I was having this same conversation just this week - it feels like we haven't got any new science fiction to watch
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

walking dead is a great tv show, no sci fi of course

blood & chrome would fill a huge hole on TV that is spaceborn sci fi with kick ass battleships and fancy explosions...
                              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X