Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Host vs. Stargate. Lots of similarities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Host vs. Stargate. Lots of similarities?

I realize the movie isn't out yet, but the book is, and from what I have read about the plot of each, it sounds as if there is a lot of similarities?

The Host is a book by Stephanie Meyers (Twilight), and it has:

-small intelligent worm-like aliens come to Earth, conquer it, take humans as hosts
    -they enter through the neck
    -the claim the host is gone when they take them, so they don't feel they do anything wrong
    -the free humans fight the aliens

of course the aliens also say they do this to save the planet from human war and pollution, so not quite the Goa'uld, even if I'm sure the Goa'uld think they do the right thing too.

Stephanie Meyers say she just got the idea during a trip, nothing about being inspired by anything else.

Also, I haven't seen more than a very few note the similarities, so it may just be me (and the few others?)

There are a lot of differences, I realize that. The Host has a love-triangle (where the parasite/host is affected by the others feelings for someone). That at least is different, since Stargate didn't have anything like that.

So, what do you think? Inspired by Stargate or coincidence?

Originally posted by Jo-Ann View Post
    I realize the movie isn't out yet, but the book is, and from what I have read about the plot of each, it sounds as if there is a lot of similarities?

The Host is a book by Stephanie Meyers (Twilight), and it has:

-small intelligent worm-like aliens come to Earth, conquer it, take humans as hosts
    -they enter through the neck
    -the claim the host is gone when they take them, so they don't feel they do anything wrong
    -the free humans fight the aliens

of course the aliens also say they do this to save the planet from human war and pollution, so not quite the Goa'uld, even if I'm sure the Goa'uld think they do the right thing too.

Stephanie Meyers say she just got the idea during a trip, nothing about being inspired by anything else.

Also, I haven't seen more than a very few note the similarities, so it may just be me (and the few others?)
    Don't think I've heard of the book/movie, but (IMHO) it sounds like a stretch if it's a coincidence.

Originally posted by Jo-Ann View Post
    There are a lot of differences, I realize that. The Host has a love-triangle (where the parasite/host is affected by the others feelings for someone). That at least is different, since Stargate didn't have anything like that.

So, what do you think? Inspired by Stargate or coincidence?
    Samantha Carter + Martouf/Lantash, due to Jolinar? Yup, Stargate has this too. They just didn't develop it as much, which may have been an error. Now that movie can do it instead and be hailed as great for it - like all Stephanie Meyers stuff does. Yeah, I'm not a fan of her books or the movies that have been made of them before, but to each their own.
    sigpic
    [Save Martouf/Lantash]

Comment

I hate to break it, but Stargate didn't originate the idea of alien worms that take over your brain. Did anyone see Star Trek: The Next Generation "Conspiracy?" It aired May 8th, 1988. Though they're not worms, it's basically the same premise.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        I hate to break it, but Stargate didn't originate the idea of alien worms that take over your brain. Did anyone see Star Trek: The Next Generation "Conspiracy?" It aired May 8th, 1988. Though they're not worms, it's basically the same premise.
        The question isn't about who originated the idea of alien worms...I'm sure that story has been around since Sci-fi books began, even before Star Trek....

The question is whether Stargate could have inspired 'The Host".
        sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Just seeing the title set me off thinking of Stargate straight away! Then on seeing the trailer for the movie, seeing the humans being taken by the aliens through the back of the neck and the eyes changing with a type of blue flash in the pupils I couldn't stop thinking about Stargate! It seems to have many similarities like this, but I wouldn't say it was necessarily inspired by it.

Perhaps as an avid Stargate fan I can't help seeing elements of what I saw in Stargate in other shows and movies. Perhaps even feel a certain possessiveness towards the way various Sci Fi concepts were used in it and find it odd to see variations of them in other shows and movies.

Comment

I did read the book (and yes I'll admit I really liked it...)before I started watching Stargate. I never even thought of any similarities until now. The title is an obvious one, the glowing eyes too, except in the book they glow all the time. As far as the host maintaining a part of themselves, as far as I recall Meyers doesn't delve into it anymore than the one main character being able to have any sort of self after implantation. Can't really see more parallels, the souls of the host are meant to be more caring than the gaou'ld (looking over their taking over our world and all) as they feel they are helping a planet that we've ruined.

Comment

Humans beings are being taken over by a parasitic alien race called the Goa'uld "Souls" that find their way into a host's body through the neck and wrap themselves around the spine/brain stem. These creatures then take use their new human host to do their bidding suppressing the human consciousness and claim that nothing of the host survives. Eyes glowing from the Goa'uld Soul, one girl fights against this "snake in her head".

See the SG-1 team in action this Friday in "The Host".
              sigpic
              Originally posted by dacooker
              The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                Humans beings are being taken over by a parasitic alien race called the Goa'uld "Souls" that find their way into a host's body through the neck and wrap themselves around the spine/brain stem. These creatures then take use their new human host to do their bidding suppressing the human consciousness and claim that nothing of the host survives. Eyes glowing from the Goa'uld Soul, one girl fights against this "snake in her head".

See the SG-1 team in action this Friday in "The Host".
                Brian...

Please tell me, just me, what in the world you're talking about.

Is there a new movie called "The Host" coming out this weekend?

Haven't heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Niddle View Post
                  Brian...

Please tell me, just me, what in the world you're talking about.

Is there a new movie called "The Host" coming out this weekend?

Haven't heard of it.
                  Yes. There is a new movie called "The Host" coming out this weekend. It's written by the same woman that wrote the Twilight series.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    Yes. There is a new movie called "The Host" coming out this weekend. It's written by the same woman that wrote the Twilight series.
                    well there answers the quality.

I've never read the host, but since twilight was crap, I'm sure it is too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                        well there answers the quality.

I've never read the host, but since twilight was crap, I'm sure it is too.
                        Couldn't agree more, I have tried to watch twilight 4 times with my wife and keep falling asleep, it is better than sleeping tablets.
                        sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

Undoubtedly there are parallels, but the "invasion by aliens taking over human bodies" story is more than half a century old. The first movie based on the concept was The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). After that it's been revisited numerous times, including one of the X-files movies.

Original ideas are IMO less important than the execution, as long as it isn't an outright copy.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X