Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can laptops be connected to every piece of alien tech?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that for convenience they have to have some way of interfacing with alien tech, but it gets a little tedius when they plug them into everyting. I mean, its not as if the Ancients and other races put USB ports on every console is it?

What I'm getting it is does anyone know the explanation they have given for some of these circumstances or are we just supposed to accept it as a fact of nature?

For example S8 Reckoning
    Spoiler:
    in Reckoning they hook a laptop up to the Ancient device/weapon and get those nice looking skyscraper readings without any real explanation.
    Last edited by GateGipsy; 15 February 2005, 03:30 AM.
    The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
    The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
    Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
    Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

One word: Linux
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
      One word: Linux
      The power of the Penguin.

Or maybe the Red Hat....

Comment

lol... what i want to know is why they always have so many!!

think descent: not ONLY did they connect 2 to the computer core, but they also like two other ones on the pel'tak!!! where'd they get' em all....

Comment

They're light, portable, you can take them through the gate with you...

ok, that's not what you were asking. I haven't got a clue how they manage to get a laptop to work with every bit of technology they find. But, if I could plug my laptop into a piece of alien technology, I think it would be amazing!

The only thing I can think is that they needed some way to make it possible for them to do whatever they need to the alien technology, and instead of having to learn the new technology each time, they plug it into an Earth computer, which is technology they already know!
          It's a bit like having the races of other planets speak mostly English, that way Daniel doesn't have to translate language in EVERY episode. It would be very tedious and slow if he had to translate a new language every mission, just as it would be if Sam had to learn a new alien technology every mission.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Also Dr Mckay couldnt manage it on Atlantus (the outpost) but as soon as you get to Atlantis wayhey it all works. Very suspisous

p.s. cant spell

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

They probably created the interface and custom OS by studying the Antarctic outpost technology. It's the same stuff they took to Atlantis.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Didn't you know. They used magic.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                  But, if I could plug my laptop into a piece of alien technology, I think it would be amazing!
                  If I used my laptop it would be so slow that It'd be quicker and easier just to learn how the alien tech works.
                  The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                  The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                  Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                  Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                  An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                  Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

all you would have to do is match the electrical imoulses to recieve a command

Comment

impulses*

Comment

Originally posted by Brandie
                        The power of the Penguin.

Or maybe the Red Hat....
                        Red Hat is Linux (Red Hat Linux)

Janus: You're right Just compile a new kernel or compile the needed kernel modules and you can access every piece of tech
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
                          all you would have to do is match the electrical imoulses to recieve a command
                          That could be a little difficult. Try taking an 8086 with a serial port and connecting it to a modern comp with a 10 gigabit ethernet, without any documentation for the modern computer or its connection.

Now multiply that problem by a thousand.

I put that aside with things like everyone speaks english. Y'know, things I'd just rather accept without questioning.

What's more annoying is all that computing related bullsh!t in that new series of 24, with all that matrix style scrolling symbols when that guy is downloading "Microsoft and Adobe stuff". That just annoys me to a level where I just can't be bothered anymore... ...but I digress.
                          Parap pup pup paaa ... I'm Lovin' It!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                            Red Hat is Linux (Red Hat Linux)

Janus: You're right Just compile a new kernel or compile the needed kernel modules and you can access every piece of tech

I wonder if they use NFS or SAMBA/CIFS.
                            Parap pup pup paaa ... I'm Lovin' It!

Comment

Originally posted by WormholeAlien
                              I wonder if they use NFS or SAMBA/CIFS.
                              They're using FTP and a SSH Deamon
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                              X