PDA

View Full Version : Why can laptops be connected to every piece of alien tech?

Cronus
February 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I know that for convenience they have to have some way of interfacing with alien tech, but it gets a little tedius when they plug them into everyting. I mean, its not as if the Ancients and other races put USB ports on every console is it?

What I'm getting it is does anyone know the explanation they have given for some of these circumstances or are we just supposed to accept it as a fact of nature?

For example S8 Reckoning in Reckoning they hook a laptop up to the Ancient device/weapon and get those nice looking skyscraper readings without any real explanation.

Janus
February 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM
One word: Linux

Brandie
February 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
One word: Linux

The power of the Penguin.

Or maybe the Red Hat.... ;)

emily_reich
February 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
lol... what i want to know is why they always have so many!!

think descent: not ONLY did they connect 2 to the computer core, but they also like two other ones on the pel'tak!!! where'd they get' em all.... :D

deepspace
February 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Why can laptops be connected to every piece of alien tech?

They're light, portable, you can take them through the gate with you...

ok, that's not what you were asking. I haven't got a clue how they manage to get a laptop to work with every bit of technology they find. But, if I could plug my laptop into a piece of alien technology, I think it would be amazing!

The only thing I can think is that they needed some way to make it possible for them to do whatever they need to the alien technology, and instead of having to learn the new technology each time, they plug it into an Earth computer, which is technology they already know!
It's a bit like having the races of other planets speak mostly English, that way Daniel doesn't have to translate language in EVERY episode. It would be very tedious and slow if he had to translate a new language every mission, just as it would be if Sam had to learn a new alien technology every mission.

Keffler
February 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Also Dr Mckay couldnt manage it on Atlantus (the outpost) but as soon as you get to Atlantis wayhey it all works. Very suspisous

p.s. cant spell

IMForeman
February 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
They probably created the interface and custom OS by studying the Antarctic outpost technology. It's the same stuff they took to Atlantis.

-IMF

greytop
February 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Didn't you know. They used magic. :) :D :p

Cronus
February 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
But, if I could plug my laptop into a piece of alien technology, I think it would be amazing!

If I used my laptop it would be so slow that It'd be quicker and easier just to learn how the alien tech works.

TheGreatLordGeorge
February 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM
all you would have to do is match the electrical imoulses to recieve a command

TheGreatLordGeorge
February 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
impulses*

Gregorius
February 11th, 2005, 03:23 PM
The power of the Penguin.

Or maybe the Red Hat.... ;)

Red Hat is Linux (Red Hat Linux)

Janus: You're right :D Just compile a new kernel or compile the needed kernel modules and you can access every piece of tech :P

WormholeAlien
February 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM
all you would have to do is match the electrical imoulses to recieve a command

That could be a little difficult. Try taking an 8086 with a serial port and connecting it to a modern comp with a 10 gigabit ethernet, without any documentation for the modern computer or its connection.

Now multiply that problem by a thousand.

I put that aside with things like everyone speaks english. Y'know, things I'd just rather accept without questioning.

What's more annoying is all that computing related bullsh!t in that new series of 24, with all that matrix style scrolling symbols when that guy is downloading "Microsoft and Adobe stuff". That just annoys me to a level where I just can't be bothered anymore... ...but I digress.

WormholeAlien
February 11th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Red Hat is Linux (Red Hat Linux)

Janus: You're right :D Just compile a new kernel or compile the needed kernel modules and you can access every piece of tech :P

I wonder if they use NFS or SAMBA/CIFS. :)

Gregorius
February 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I wonder if they use NFS or SAMBA/CIFS. :)

They're using FTP and a SSH Deamon :P

lord-anubis
February 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Didn't you know. They used magic. :) :D :p

i thought it all had some thing to do with magnets

greytop
February 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Magic and magnets???? :p

WormholeAlien
February 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM
They're using FTP and a SSH Deamon :P

ooo....

Error 421: too many users.

Gregorius
February 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
ooo....

Error 421: too many users.

Carter and McKay on a planet, trying to fix the DHD:

Carter: Rodney I've got Error 421 on the DHD FTP-Server
McKay: Impossible, we're all alone here!
Carter: Maybe it's Ba'al!
McKay open the SSH client and tries to login as root
McKay: Carter what's the root pass?
Carter: Uhm.....DialHome?
McKay: I'm in; Let's try this: root@dhd# ps -AFe; Kill 917
Carter: I can connect again!

hmmm....bruteforcing a DHD :P

WormholeAlien
February 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Carter and McKay on a planet, trying to fix the DHD:

Carter: Rodney I've got Error 421 on the DHD FTP-Server
McKay: Impossible, we're all alone here!
Carter: Maybe it's Ba'al!
McKay open the SSH client and tries to login as root
McKay: Carter what's the root pass?
Carter: Uhm.....DialHome?
McKay: I'm in; Let's try this: root@dhd# ps -AFe; Kill 917
Carter: I can connect again!

hmmm....bruteforcing a DHD :P

Careful now! Baal is a shifty character. He might have a sniffer running on the DHD. He could now have your root password. :eek:

Steam
February 11th, 2005, 04:10 PM
That could be a little difficult. Try taking an 8086 with a serial port and connecting it to a modern comp with a 10 gigabit ethernet, without any documentation for the modern computer or its connection.

Now multiply that problem by a thousand.

True but then think that Mckay and Carter are prob 1000 times smarter than most people :P

Chops
February 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I mean, its not as if the Ancients and other races put USB ports on every console is it?
Well, they wouldn't have our USB, but they probably have something similar. The Stargate's "USB port" took years to figure out, but once it was done, they could apply the same basic concepts to Atlantis. McKay was probably referring to working out the "USB 2.0" that the Antarctic site probably uses.

Mio
February 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM
See 'Rules of Engagment' Carter spends quite a bit of time trying to interface with the Vocu-whatever.

Blue Banrigh
February 11th, 2005, 04:54 PM
"Ah, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it." :D

Chops
February 11th, 2005, 05:09 PM
See 'Rules of Engagment' Carter spends quite a bit of time trying to interface with the Vocu-whatever.

Wasn't that a Goa'uld device? I wouldn't be surprised if each System Lord has a different was to plug something in, so the others can't use it as easily.

IMForeman
February 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM
True but then think that Mckay and Carter are prob 1000 times smarter than most people :P

They have IQ's in the 100,000's? Wow. They must be smart. ;)

Jprime
February 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Well if you look at Avenger 2.0 you can clearly see Felger plugging in some sort of custom connector from the DHD to the lappy so at least they don't count on a million year old device to comply with USB 2.0... :D

Jprime
February 11th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Quite a bit? She did it within five to ten minutes! That was totally ridiculous! Come on, 'experimenting with interfacing to Goa'uld tech.' my foot! If I can wire up my lappy's parallel port to run a toaster on a timer, that doesn't mean I can hook it up to control my car in five minutes without having ever seen a car before!

Chops
February 11th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I was continuing the metaphor, Jprime, but you've reminded me of something: Ancient devices seem to use Bluetooth rather than USB. :p Those wires in "Avenger" are the part that Sam figured out how to hook up (to the Stargate, not the DHD) before Daniel was recruited. She didn't actually figure out how to duplicate Ancient Bluetooth, she just figure out how to make it into USB, right?

BackStageJim
February 11th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Simple, they are PC not ... should I dare say the word ..... Mac.

<washing mouth out with soap>

Osiris-RA
February 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
'Cause it's cheaper than wasting hours staring blankly at some advanced peice of tech muttering ... "I can't get it to work. WHY can't I get it to work?? Aw, **** it to hell!!!! I hate this peice of ****!!"

See, the laptop just works better.

Qasim
February 12th, 2005, 02:26 AM
A bluetooth connection is the most plausible

Steam
February 12th, 2005, 03:48 AM
They have IQ's in the 100,000's? Wow. They must be smart. ;)
Most likly yes, but IQ doesnt always mean how smart you are

Qasim
February 12th, 2005, 03:53 AM
an IQ tends to focus on short term memory

Karterius
February 12th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Truthfully the most plausible way of connecting to the DHD or other alien devices would most likely be some sort of modem-like technology, that uses sounds or hyper sonic frequencies to transmit data. Thus, all SGC had to do to figure out the coding system would be to decipher the "tones" or hyper sonic frequencies... They could then theoretically even just hook the technology into a sound-in port/ and sound out to exchange information. I believe that the ancients would have made it universally this way b/c sound/music/math are all the same universal language... jut watch Close Encounters...

Qasim
February 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM
they could also set up a wireless network to do a similar thing

Karterius
February 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
they could also set up a wireless network to do a similar thing

If this part was true then that would assume that the DHD or other devices are constantly giving off a signal, which they have never mentioned before. Plus, then why are they connecting wires to them...

Jprime
February 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
If this part was true then that would assume that the DHD or other devices are constantly giving off a signal, which they have never mentioned before. Plus, then why are they connecting wires to them...

I think that he/she meant that the DHD and Stargate use wireless signals.

TechnoBoY
February 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Dude, it's a DELL!

I'm surprised nobody said that already.

WormholeAlien
February 13th, 2005, 04:59 AM

And in the 80's they could've taken a 8088 and magnified its speed by a 1000?

If so then screw fighting aliens, they should be working for Intel/AMD/IBM/MOTOROLA or whatever other CPU company!

Anya_Ginny
February 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
They use a special USB port and fairy dust...

I suppose if you kinda know how one technology works you can at least just get it to read out on a Dell laptop screen.

You know I really have no idea, computers don’t like me as it is…

Ancient'o'1
February 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Comon people..

USB is the 'Universal Serial Bus'

Qasim
February 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM
And Bluetooth just sounds cool

SGTLopez
February 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I thought it was "nintendos." :confused:

WormholeAlien
February 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I wonder if the atlantis computers get blue screened...

alz0rz
February 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I didn't read the earlier posts but it must be the same reason why most ancient consoles are windows compatible. lol!

SmartFox
February 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I didn't read the earlier posts but it must be the same reason why most ancient consoles are windows compatible. lol!
Everything is windows compatible.

alz0rz
February 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Yeah so it is ... :p

Agent_Dark
February 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
lol sif McKay is a Windows user. In ChildHoods End, when hes trying to repair that device that uses the ZPM Sheppard asks him what's wrong, and he replies "I dont know. These things are usually plug and play, it must be using an older version of Windows" :)

Mr Prophet
February 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Also Dr Mckay couldnt manage it on Atlantus (the outpost) but as soon as you get to Atlantis wayhey it all works. Very suspisous

p.s. cant spell

The outpost was old and didn't have USB.

Qasim
February 15th, 2005, 04:11 AM
It was legacy

Tok'Ra Hostess
April 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Well, I'm not.

Windoze should have an error message that says "I just can't work with this human!" :p :p :p

Mr Prophet
April 9th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Well, I'm not.

Windoze should have an error message that says "I just can't work with this human!" :p :p :p

Your human is incompatible with this version of Windows. Please upgrade your human.

SilverRider
April 9th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Your human is incompatible with this version of Windows. Please upgrade your human.

ROFL.....that or please get a person who can work on computers without blowing it. :D :D :p :P

Whistler
April 9th, 2005, 04:04 AM

But the SGC computers havn't used Windows since Season 4, which sadly meant the demise of Daniel's fantastic "Walking Egyptian" Screensaver. :( ;)

All the computers are now just more hi-tech versions of the original Gate Dialing computer, and are all stylish and black, unfortunatly they're still as vulnerable as ever by the look of Daniel's PC in Affinity when it was hacked by the NID.

Boy, I miss that screensaver. :( :p

SG Zero
April 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe Bill Gates is a Goa'uld who stole Ancient tech b@st@rdized it to make Windows... that's why its so compatible! That snake!

_Owen_
April 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
It is all bluetooth compatible. No i'm joking, as long as they understand the pieces of technology that they are interfacing with, they can create an adapter for anything. This example is relativly simple, but in Rising part two they made that adapter to conect the ZPM to the gate, all they need is to understand how it works and then they can interface with it.

Owen Macri

Rin
April 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Well, I'm not.

Windows may not have that error but as a sys admin the two terms I often use are:
ID10T (pronounced I-D ten T)
and PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair)

With regards to the Del laptops (*shudders*) interfacing so easily to the ancient tech: I seem to remember that the time from the when they found the ancient outpost to the time the expedition leaves is in the order of about six months. I always figured that with a crack team of EE's they'd be able to figure out some kind of interface in that time...

_Owen_
April 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
As I said before with enough time, and understanding of the technology you wish to interface with, it is possible.

Owen Macri

Supreme Thor
April 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that could be true. But how could they adapt the cord and such to plug-in to the tech? I don't think they use Dell computers.

_Owen_
April 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
As Mckay said in "Home," There may be some disasembley required.

Owen Macri

Supreme Thor
April 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah...

"Jeez! I just spent $2000 on that computer just to get it disassembled?!"....:D

Tok'Ra Hostess
April 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah, that could be true. But how could they adapt the cord and such to plug-in to the tech? I don't think they use Dell computers.

Exactly. Anyways, everyone knows it takes a Mac to save the planet. :D

Rin
April 22nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Exactly. Anyways, everyone knows it takes a Mac to save the planet. :D
Toss in a few sun machines for research with the Mac's and I'm with you :D (I'm a Unix kind of woman myself). Personally I cringe every time I see the dell logo. :p

Supreme Thor
April 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Can I ask what's up with Dell? Not trying to be rude, but I favor Dell over anything else.

_Owen_
April 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
I believe that more than a significant number of people on this forum, are extremly familiar with the workings of a computer, as am I, (in regular words, Computer Geeks, no offence anyone). A Dell is a very generic computer, it is straight off of the shelf and into the box. Custom built computers are faster, and better in some ways. Dell has gotten a bad reputation, i'm not really sure how to describe it, really there is nothing wrong with a Dell for common everyday use, people who play sofisticated multiplayer games might need more customized computers because of the requirements of the game. Give me a minute I will try to think of an analogy.

Owen Macri

Mr Prophet
April 23rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
I believe that more than a significant number of people on this forum, are extremly familiar with the workings of a computer, as am I, (in regular words, Computer Geeks, no offence anyone).

Why would that be offensive?

A Dell is a very generic computer, it is straight off of the shelf and into the box. Custom built computers are faster, and better in some ways. Dell has gotten a bad reputation, i'm not really sure how to describe it, really there is nothing wrong with a Dell for common everyday use, people who play sofisticated multiplayer games might need more customized computers because of the requirements of the game. Give me a minute I will try to think of an analogy.

The phrase would be: Jack of all trades and master of none. It does all the basic things quite well, but isn't really good at anything specific. Still, I'm pretty sure that for the most part the military uses computers from the usual suppliers, although as big buyers they could probably place a bulk order for laptops to their own spec; I don't know exactly how that kind of contract would work, but I do know that industrial-scale buyers don't have the same restrictions as individuals or small offices.

CatGoddess
April 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM

They MacGyvered something? ;)

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 09:14 AM
Why would that be offensive?

The phrase would be: Jack of all trades and master of none. It does all the basic things quite well, but isn't really good at anything specific. Still, I'm pretty sure that for the most part the military uses computers from the usual suppliers, although as big buyers they could probably place a bulk order for laptops to their own spec; I don't know exactly how that kind of contract would work, but I do know that industrial-scale buyers don't have the same restrictions as individuals or small offices.
I just thought that calling a whole bunch of people computer geeks might offend someone, personaly I know that I am a bit of a computer geek and I am definetly a sci fi etc. geek, I just wasn't sure about everyone else. I just didn't want to get a lot of negative reputation because of silly comment I made and wasn't thinking about what impact it could have.

Thank you Mr. Prophet for clarifying that, I had my finger on the correct reason but I couldn't think of it.

Owen Macri

Mr Prophet
April 23rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
I just thought that calling a whole bunch of people computer geeks might offend someone, personaly I know that I am a bit of a computer geek and I am definetly a sci fi etc. geek, I just wasn't sure about everyone else. I just didn't want to get a lot of negative reputation because of silly comment I made and wasn't thinking about what impact it could have.

Anyone on a sci-fi forum who can't hack being called a geek is probably in the wrong place.

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
That is a good point.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
People have a hard enough time switching between operating systems think how much harder and impossible it would be to connect to alien tech.

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
lol, it would be hard but not completly impossible.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
computers use a binary system dont they, well it they do what are the odds of being able to speak with alien tech that does not use a binary system.

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Actually, the first computers used binary code, now it is much more common for computers to use hexadecimal math, or base sixteen. Some computers use other bases as well.

But yes it would be hard, however not impossible, you would need to build a program to comunicate with the alien computer language.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
ok thanks for the help and other things :)

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
No problem.

Tok'Ra Hostess
April 24th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Actually, the first computers used binary code, now it is much more common for computers to use hexadecimal math, or base sixteen. Some computers use other bases as well.

But yes it would be hard, however not impossible, you would need to build a program to comunicate with the alien computer language.

Owen Macri

When Jack got his first upgrade in The Fifth Race ;) he wrote equations using base eight math. Might we assume that Ancient tech used base-eight in their computers? If so, then likely the Asgard do too, since they've been studying and using Ancient research for centuries. The Goa'uld, being the thieves they (supposedly :rolleyes: ) are, probably ripped off their computing code from the Ancients, as well.

Sorry if the above is pure drizzle; if "geek" means knowing anything about computers, I ain't one. :D

Mr Prophet
April 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM

What if the alien system used three-state logic? Whatever base the code is written in, the computer essentially functions using a binary, on-off system. What difference would it make if the alien system used on, off and other and codes in base three, nine or twenty-seven?

Mr Prophet
April 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM
When Jack got his first upgrade in The Fifth Race ;) he wrote equations using base eight math. Might we assume that Ancient tech used base-eight in their computers? If so, then likely the Asgard do too, since they've been studying and using Ancient research for centuries. The Goa'uld, being the thieves they (supposedly :rolleyes: ) are, probably ripped off their computing code from the Ancients, as well.

Sorry if the above is pure drizzle; if "geek" means knowing anything about computers, I ain't one. :D

That's just computer geek, which is a sub-category.

_Owen_
April 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Good point, I didn't think of that.

Owen Macri