Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Tv and Film Soundtracks: A Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Tv and Film Soundtracks: A Discussion.

To start this is not a 'Game' thread. And is a seperate entity from the other thread with a similar title.
    This is a thread to discuss Science Fiction Film and TV soundtracks.

There are a lot of soundtracks and themes out there. And therefore there are a lot to choose.

So what theme/soundtrack/composer do you, dear reader, consider to be the best?
    Please note that people may not agree with your choices. Please keep all posted comments clean.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

The main one that comes to mind right now is Bear McCreary for BattleStar Galactica. The music in that series really went the extra mile to enhance the whole series beyond what it would have been without it.

Comment

I've always thought that Farscape had a great soundtrack, the opening credits for season 3 where one of my all time favorites.

And of course Star Trek: TNG is a classic

Comment

Murray Gold and Bear McCreary are I think by far the best on tv.

As for films there are oh so many great soundtracks that have come out lately. Hans Zimmer is of course a prime candidate but Alan Silvestri is also very talented.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I really enjoyed the BSG and Farscape soundtracks. Currently we're watching Andromeda and I think it's pretty good too, particularly the theme.

When it comes to movies, my favorite is definitely Howard Shore, particularly the LotR soundtracks.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            I really enjoyed the BSG and Farscape soundtracks. Currently we're watching Andromeda and I think it's pretty good too, particularly the theme.

When it comes to movies, my favorite is definitely Howard Shore, particularly the LotR soundtracks.
            Agreed, I can listen to those soundtracks all day, and I am glad hes come back for the Hobbit!

Comment

I want to get the soundtrack to X-Men: The Last Stand. The music was phenomenal. Who did the music for the movie? Does anyone have the Bourne movie soundtracks? I want to get those so I can listen to them while I drive. haha

Comment

I love the Xena soundtrack by Joseph LoDuca. Pretty amazing music there.
                sigpic

Comment

I have a whole collection of Themes and soundtracks.
                  And I have to agree that Bear McCreary has written some great pieces of music.

There is one piece that really tugs at my heart strings. And I think that it's hauntingly beautiful. It's 'Wander my Friends' from the BSG 1st season episode 'Hand of God'.

Comment

I'm not qualified to say which is the "best" - but my favourites for original scores are Murray Gold for Doctor Who & Howard Shore for LotR. I also love the music in Misfits, particularly Simon and Alisha's Theme composed by Vince Pope.

Also a couple of shows I adore for their pop soundtracks are Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. When Sam Tyler wakes up in 1973 to David Bowie's Life on Mars I get goosebumps. Another goosebump moment is in A2A when Gene shoots through a window & rescues Alex to the sound of Vienna by Ultravox. This is the music of my teenage years and I love it.

Comment

Duh, Star Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                        And I have to agree that Bear McCreary has written some great pieces of music.
                        Didn't he provide the music for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                          Duh, Star Wars.
                          I am assuming you are referring to the 'main' theme?
                          Because Star Wars has a lot of incidental music that is excellent. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's theme) for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            Didn't he provide the music for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles?
                            I believe he did. Bear has written music for a fair few shows.

Comment

A lot of series have great opening & closing themes, but don't feature excellent musical scores underpinning the actual shows from week to week. I hope our voters will bear that in mind. In fact, few tv series offer scores that withstand comparison to the best film scores. Bear McCreary's work, however, is a bright star in television. (Hint: I'm fishing for votes for McCreary's BSG 2003.)

Comment

Working...
                              X