The Xenomorph and AVP universe thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Xenomorph and AVP universe thread

This thread is for the discussion of various aspects of the AVP universe (Cannon and expanded) or related themes. Movies, games, books, upcoming things, ect.

First discussion ill start- Xenomorphs(Aliens) VS Replicators.(Spider forms) Here is the scenario, colony world, several million occupants, a few cities and many scattered towns, this means plenty of hosts for the Xenomorphs and a supply of raw material for Replicators. Mining operations stumble upon a hibernating Xeno hive, and at the same time a Replicator block vessel lands and the Replicators disperse and then march onward too a city. Who would win in this rumble? They both have acids that can dissolve virtually any material, both are very strong, both can be fast, and both reproduce quickly.

Other possible topics, favorite franchise movies, books or games, opinions, ect.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

I've only followed the movies. I don't the books and comic books. I'm not that into stories involving the alien monsters. When I read, I prefer original stories (not based on TV/movies). That said, I have seen all of the Alien movies. To those who haven't seen them all, there's been seven so far...

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection
    Alien vs. Predator
    Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
    Prometheus

The first four movies focused on Sigourney Weaver as "Ellen Ripley" and her encounters with the aliens. The next two movies were crossovers with the Predator movies. They also acted as prequels to Alien. Due to AVP:R's poor reception, Ridley Scott resumed his work on Prometheus, a prequel to Alien. Prometheus did not acknowledge the crossover films.

I don't like the concept of an Alien/Stargate crossover. The stories are just too different. The TV show is aimed at a family audience, the Alien movies are R-rated horror films. It just wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      I've only followed the movies. I don't the books and comic books. I'm not that into stories involving the alien monsters. When I read, I prefer original stories (not based on TV/movies). That said, I have seen all of the Alien movies. To those who haven't seen them all, there's been seven so far...

Alien
      Aliens
      Alien 3
      Alien Resurrection
      Alien vs. Predator
      Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
      Prometheus

The first four movies focused on Sigourney Weaver as "Ellen Ripley" and her encounters with the aliens. The next two movies were crossovers with the Predator movies. They also acted as prequels to Alien. Due to AVP:R's poor reception, Ridley Scott resumed his work on Prometheus, a prequel to Alien. Prometheus did not acknowledge the crossover films.

I don't like the concept of an Alien/Stargate crossover. The stories are just too different. The TV show is aimed at a family audience, the Alien movies are R-rated horror films. It just wouldn't work.
      I know all that^

I do not like the cross over that much ether, the universes are just too different for mixing. But its fun too speculate.

Anyways, a universe I feel would mix well with the A/P universe is the Avatar universe. It would not take much tweaking at all, just a careful managing of timelines. I am sure a Yautja (Predator) would love to hunt on Pandora.

I have not read the comics, and only one of the books, but I love the movies. I must admit I prefer too watch the TV edited versions, I know a lot of people like the swearing and gore but I have never cared much for it. Too me, the swearing is stupid. 98% is completely unnecessary, the F bomb is just a pointless filler word if you use it that many times in one sentence. Get a better vocabulary. I like movies for the story and suspense, not unrealistic blood gushing everywhere.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
        I know all that^
        My post was directed toward those who do not.

Anyways, a universe I feel would mix well with the A/P universe is the Avatar universe. It would not take much tweaking at all, just a careful managing of timelines. I am sure a Yautja (Predator) would love to hunt on Pandora.
        Honestly, I don't want to see anything crossover to Alien except Predator. That worked, because they just looked like they could co-exist, and there were no contradictions to prevent such a crossover. They were both monster flicks owned by 20th Century Fox, so why not? That said, the existing crossover barely worked. AVP1 was got a lot of good reviews, but AVP2 was a total train wreck. It was so bad, that 20th Century Fox rushed out independent Alien & Predator movies to keep them going. AVP2 could have been the end of either or both monster movies.

I must admit I prefer too watch the TV edited versions, I know a lot of people like the swearing and gore but I have never cared much for it. Too me, the swearing is stupid. 98% is completely unnecessary, the F bomb is just a pointless filler word if you use it that many times in one sentence. Get a better vocabulary. I like movies for the story and suspense, not unrealistic blood gushing everywhere.
        They are horror movies, of coarse there's going to be gore and cursing. I don't like it, but that's just what you're going to get in a horror film. That said, I hate TV broadcasts of movies. They always cut out 18 minutes per hour for commercials. This goes beyond editing out graphic content and swearing, it's cutting out so much that the movie buckles under the editing. I once watched Star Trek: First Contact on ABC for sheer convenience (not having to pull out my DVD). First, it was fullscreen, cropping the image. I was noticing bits and pieces of the movie were missing. When I realized the entire introduction of the Borg Queen had been edited out, I turned it off. Why watch the TV broadcast if whole scenes are going to be missing? Meh. If a scene bothers me, I've got this thing called the fast-forward button.

Comment

That said, the existing crossover barely worked. AVP1 was got a lot of good reviews, but AVP2 was a total train wreck. It was so bad, that 20th Century Fox rushed out independent Alien & Predator movies to keep them going. AVP2 could have been the end of either or both monster movies.
          By AVP2 I take it you mean Requiem, yeah it was not nearly as good as I expected, or as it should have been. Not thought out that well. The Predator on the planet should have been way better at killing Xenomorphs, among other things that did not do so well with. I heard it was the other way around though, AVP1 was the train wreck, and AVP2 was better. I personally like AVP1 better, with the pyramid under the ice. Unless your talking about the games.

Comment

By AVP2 I take it you mean Requiem
            There's only one sequel, so yeah.

yeah it was not nearly as good as I expected, or as it should have been. Not thought out that well. The Predator on the planet should have been way better at killing Xenomorphs, among other things that did not do so well with.
            First, why did the small Predator ship detach from the larger ship near Jupiter? Why not while in Earth orbit? Why does the Predator come from the homeworld? Shouldn't the mothership, sill in Earth's solar system, have received the distress call and simply turned around? Oh, wait, that would make too much sense. The movie was simply poorly written.

I heard it was the other way around though, AVP1 was the train wreck, and AVP2 was better.
            The people who say that don't care about plot, they just want to see two hours of monster fighting gore.

I personally like AVP1 better, with the pyramid under the ice. Unless your talking about the games.
            The 2004 movie, Alien vs. Predator. I don't play video games.

Comment

What did you think about Prometheus? I thought it was ok, worth watching but not fantastic, and only an owner if your a die hard fan, otherwise Netflix it.

Comment

First, why did the small Predator ship detach from the larger ship near Jupiter? Why not while in Earth orbit? Why does the Predator come from the homeworld? Shouldn't the mothership, sill in Earth's solar system, have received the distress call and simply turned around? Oh, wait, that would make too much sense. The movie was simply poorly written.

I think it was cause the Aliepred crossbreed had killed all the rest on that ship. and cause of the acid blood being spattered around, had caused a pod (escape pod) to be jettesoned.

What did you think about Prometheus? I thought it was ok, worth watching but not fantastic, and only an owner if your a die hard fan, otherwise Netflix it.
                Not bad actually. I will wait till it hits the walmart bargin bin though before i add it to my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  I think it was cause the Aliepred crossbreed had killed all the rest on that ship. and cause of the acid blood being spattered around, had caused a pod (escape pod) to be jettesoned.
                  I think no one can say for certain because it was a choppy movie. Why did they not have James Cameron direct AVP 2 and Prometheus?

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Not bad actually. I will wait till it hits the walmart bargin bin though before i add it to my collection.
                  Lol, I dident think it was bad ether, just not fantastic like it should have been. Great visuals, choppy dialog and fairly unoriginal story elements but still interesting.

Comment

Avp1 awesome
                    Avp2 garbage
                    Predators weak
                    Prometheus awesome

just my opinion.
                    what I'd love to see is a genetically engineered human like the Ripley clone in Alien Resurrection vs. a Predator.
                    I think a huge part of what made the first Predator movie so awesome was well.. Schwarzenegger.
                    the Xenomorph creature is the only worthy adversary to a Predator but unfortunately he's not sapient which leaves very little for a story.
                    the new Engineers species introduced in Prometheus is pretty interesting too.

Comment

True true, Id love to see more with the "Engineers" (Ossians, Mala'kak) I think they could use a few more sentient species for the AVP universe. There are more, they are implied. Like the "River spirits."

Do you think a Mala'kak is stronger then a Yautja?

Comment

Probabily. We saw how far one tossed some of the Prom crew..

Though i actually liked AVP2...

Comment

I'm thinking about the same strength
                          after all that huge proto-Xenomorph totally crashed him
                          and they are about the same size

Comment

The Trilobite?, those creatures are pretty freakin strong, even a Facehugger is so strong a Human cannot rip those spindly fingers off their face. Those Hammerpedes were strong enough to snap that dudes arm yet they were a third or forth the size of mine or so. The Engineer(A soldier I believe based on my observations.) had to be insanely strong to resist all those massive tentacles for as long as he did.

Some other observations about Prometheus

1-A billion years ago that Engineer dude we see in the beginning who killed himself, I think that was a kind of Seppuku. Who knows if they even really meant to create life on Earth at all. I think its possible when we see that ship leaving him he was being marooned on a lifeless rock of a world and had three choices-Starve to death, find a way to commit suicide in some other fashion, or drink the fast acting black goo. Or perhaps the Seppuku was utilized to start the life forming process on a planet, instead of wasting the chance or something, perhaps part of a ritual.

2-Those drawings and carvings of that world did not strike me as an invitation really, more like a warning to stay away.

3-That skull was dated having been sitting there for 2000 years. (That is nothing to a civilization that has been around for billions.) I think the holographic recording we saw of the Engineers running was the "tape" of an investigatory team checking out that planet long after the accident to see if...idk they could retake it or something, as the Xenomorphs have been around since at least 3k B.C, at least, probably way longer considering the 100 year hunt cycle of the Yautja and the fact that Xeno's are referred to by the Yautja as "the ancient and/or eternal enemy." I do not believe a race that is still in their teens at 100 years old would consider 5k years ancient and eternal.

Any thoughts?

Side note I am 60+ pages into an Aliens novel in which I introduce a new sentient species. I am serious about getting my book published and hope to make it a series of books.

Comment

So was that planet one the 'Engineers' were wanting to terraform as well, or did something morph their 'engineer goop' into the xenos?

Comment

Working...
                              X