X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver
    Howdy, Ayiana!

I can't remember how long ago I started watching SG-1, but I was quite young--about 10/11, I think (and even then I loved the S/J romance ). But I do remember that from the very first time I saw it I began to adore the character of Jack O'Neill. I won't lie when I say I've primarily watched the show for Jack. He makes me laugh and RDA is a wonderful actor. If it hadn't been for his face on screen, I probably would have watched it when I could be bothered, from time to time, but never with the, er, obsession and love that I have done for the past six years. But there again I am going to watch season 9 when it hits the UK so it can't all be about him.

But yes, with Jack came the S/J ship, and I loved it! Unlike you, although I do enjoy different aspects of Stargate, I don't think I'll be as content in season 9 without the ship. Let me rephrase that... I won't be content if there's no emotion between the main characters. I don't think it's the actual romance that captures my imagination, it's the emotion. And despite the teary moments relating to Teal'c and Daniel, one of the best sources for emotion and feelings in the show, for me, centres around Sam and Jack's relationship and predicament.

I do watch SG-1 for other reasons. The "fantasy" genre--the abnormal and unknown--sucks me in like a big whoppin' black hole. In addition, I love action and adventure and the fighting scenes. But to me the best episodes come as a package. Action/capture/adventure usually leads to angst/hurt/danger, which brings about comfort/reassurance/honesty, which in the case of Sam and Jack equals SHIP. These are episodes such as Upgrades, Message in a Bottle, Into the Fire, Solitudes, Metamorphosis, Heroes and Lost City.

What I'm trying to say is that without emotion the episodes with or without their fancy ships, unusual aliens and big shiny guns don't mean a thing. Threads and Grace to me are two of the best episodes they've made, merely because of how sentimental they are (and even more emotional was Abyss, which is my absolute favourite due to Jack's pain and Daniel's comforting presence). Even in Window of Opportunity, which was one of my most humorous TV moments ever, the best, most powerful scene involved Jack shouting that he'd "lost his son" and seeing the reactions play across the faces of the three other SG-1 members.

So yeah, I do watch Stargate for the ship--because to me it's one of the most prominent and central sources for emotion and feelings in the show. It's rich in angst (aren't I nice? ). And whatever new dynamics they introduce to us in season nine, I somehow doubt they could ever replace the depth of our favourite pair's feelings for the other... Mitchell or no Mitchell as a newly-intergrated part of the team.

Anyway, folks, it's good to be back, once again indulging Sam and Jack shippiness! I have a lot in this thread to read! What's Avalon like?
    This was a great post, Silver, and I agree with all of it. It occurred to me when reading the second to the last paragraph that a lot of us *do* watch just for the ship - but not just for Sam and Jack's romantic relationship, but for *ALL* the relationships - meaning the emotions - between the characters we know so well. That's the one part of the show that's been suffering this year and last.
    Last edited by Buc252; 23 July 2005, 07:48 PM.
    - Mary
    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
      Welcome Ayiana. This is about one of the few threads that you can talk about the relationship (“ship”) between Sam and Jack. The good, the bad, and the ugly! In the past year and a half that I’ve been here we’ve gone up and down and back around regarding the ship. It’s a wonderful place to be able to be able to share your concerns, your rants, your highs and your lows with like-minded people.

Now in answer to your question… IMOHO we encompass every end of the S/J ship spectrum, from liking it a wee bit, to liking it a heck of a lot. For some it’s the sole reason they watch, for others, a very minor reason. For me, it wasn’t the S/J ship that got me hooked on the show. It was the ‘original’ team - their humor, the way they interacted with one another… I liked the stories, the SFX, the basic premise of the show… and the S/J ship was just the icing on my SG1 cupcake.
      *pounces, knocks over, and huggles the stuffing out of SS*

SS!!!! HAVEN'T SEEN YOU AROUND IN AWHILE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
        Jonas was great to the show in season 6

Caty
        I agree....should've brought Jonas back!

Comment

Mary as usual were on the same page.You comments on Daniel and Teal'c are on target.I mentioned earlier Today I think the Jaffa rebellion is hurting the Show and the Teal'c character.I cannot remember that many people saying they liked the Jaffa rebellion story.I also liked Daniel from Season 1-4 and now he gets on my nerves more often than not.I just think Daniel and Teal'c do not bring enough to the Show to be leading characters.There were very few dull moments with Jack around.In regards to Jonas I always though Jonas was more of a Team player than Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
            Do you have a graphic for the first post yet? I agree with the 12 midnight EST (U.S.) starting time. It worked out fine last year. Whichever time zone you start it in, it’ll have to end in that zone 24 hours later. (Oh – I think it was Shipperahoy (ShipMum), one of our wonderful GW mods, who you probably were looking for in your earlier post about thread-starting, not ShipNana) (Though it would be wonderful to see ShipNana again!)

The 2nd Annual Ship Day Thread (7/28/04) as Bev (dips of jazz) posted for anyone who is interested:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...annual+shipper

Here’s a blurb if you want it for the first post…. (Though you’ve probably already got something wonderful cooked up!)

Happy 3rd Annual Ship Day!

Sam/Jack Ship Day started on GateWorld’s Forum to commemorate the first airing of Divide and Conquer
            5 years ago (originally airing in the U.S. on July 28, 2000). For many S/J Shippers this episode is a favorite for the confessions that Sam and Jack made to each other acknowledging the deeper feelings they held for one another.

This thread is for PRO-Sam/Jack Ship comments, opinions, pix, graphics, and celebration. Please do not post here if you do not like or are against this pairing. There are two threads for anti-sentiments or general discussion: ANTI-S/J Thread and the SHIP Discussion Thread should you wish to voice your opinion.

This celebration thread is open for 24 hours only.
            Shimmering Star, thanks for the suggested text! I have copied and pasted it into a document on my desktop, so it will be readily available Wednesday night. You saved me some time and effort. Thanks so much! And yes, I'm working on a graphic.....although if someone else has something that should appear in the first post, that would be great! I'm not as advanced in creating all the layers some of you do in Photoshop (*makes note to work on that*). I just can't do some of the truly intricate things some of you do.

And Myrth, thanks for translating the time for me. I always get confused about the International Date Line!

So, shippers, do we attempt to have S/J Ship Day from the start of July 28th in Australia until the end of July 28th in Europe? That would be more than 24 hours.....but we are an international group.

Or, do we pick a time zone (such as Eastern Daylight Time in the U.S) and go 24 hours from there?
            Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 23 July 2005, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              As I've said before, I'm not getting interested in any other ship dangled at me by TPTB. I'm interested in this one ship, because I believe it HAS TO BE that way. I can wait a little longer, but I can't accept these two people with anyone else.....because any resolution that doesn't include S/J together doesn't make sense with what I have witnessed over the past six years!
              Wow SG-1fanintn, you've said it so nice and perfectly, I also think that my intrested on the ship at this point is it HAS TO BE Jack and Sam deserve to be together after all these years, TPTB owe it to them and tu us

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
              Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
              Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

400 post!!! I remember when I was just a primta'h celebrating my passing to mature symbiot snif, snif....

Time to do my milestone dance

Any body else around to celebrate with me? we need some dancing in this thread

Edited to include Nell in the milestone celebration... congrats Nell!!!!!!!!
                Last edited by LOL4JACK; 23 July 2005, 09:30 PM.

Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10

Comment

Originally posted by LOL4JACK
                  400 post!!! I remeber when I was just a primta'h celebrating my passing to mature symbiot snif, snif....

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_5_138.gif

LOL4JACK,
                  I will join you in a celebratory dance because it is my 400 post, too!!!

Walter thinks to himself: It's General O'Neill's retirement party. I wonder if he'll finally ask Carter for a dance?
                  Jack: Sam, will you dance with me?
                  Walter grins!
                  sigpic

Comment

400 post!!! I remeber when I was just a primta'h celebrating my passing to mature symbiot snif, snif....

Congrats! Many more posts!

Mr and Mrs. Jackie and Sammy Penguin
                    Last edited by trupi; 07 August 2007, 12:04 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi
                      I think that's enough! That's great, I'm foreign language stupid, wish I could speak one other but pretty good understanding somethings in Italian and Spanish. Just be aware that the Convention atmosphere is not always shippy. That's why we like to meet up with shippers. We watch each others sixes. I found out the hard way last year.
                      Trupi, thanks for watching my six I guess there won't be any ship in the CON, all guys and not interested in it, I've read so far that MS and CJ don't give their opinion regarding the ship, but it will still be nice to be there.

For ship we need to go to a CON with Amanda, maybe London

Anybody else going to the CON in New Jersey? 3 shippers on the list so far, Shimmering, Trupi and myself, we'll be watching your sixes

Comment

Trupi, thanks for watching my six I guess there won't be any ship in the CON, all guys and not interested in it, I've read so far that MS and CJ don't give their opinion regarding the ship, but it will still be nice to be there.

For ship we need to go to a CON with Amanda, maybe London

Anybody else going to the CON in New Jersey? 3 shippers on the list so far, Shimmering, Trupi and myself, we'll be watching your sixes
                        Is Sugarshaker not going?
                        sigpic

Comment

Congratulations, Nell, on 400 posts!

Congratulations, LOL4JACK, on 400 posts!

And now, on that note, I must bid you all a fond farewell for the night. I have to get up in the morning, and Harry Potter is calling my name (Hubby, meanwhile, is asleep in the recliner!).

Good night, North America!
                          Good morning, Europe!
                          G'day, Australia!

Comment

Originally posted by trupi
                            Is Sugarshaker not going?
                            Oops, confused my Ssssss Sugarshaker, not Shimmering..... bad, Dobby, bad , oops, mixed up HP with SG

I'm getting old with 400 post

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                              Congratulations, Nell, on 400 posts!

Congratulations, LOL4JACK, on 400 posts!

And now, on that note, I must bid you all a fond farewell for the night. I have to get up in the morning, and Harry Potter is calling my name (Hubby, meanwhile, is asleep in the recliner!).

Good night, North America!
                              Good morning, Europe!
                              G'day, Australia!
                              Thanks. Hey, remember to nudge your hubby to go to bed!
                              sigpic

Comment

Morning all

Originally posted by nell
                                Billie, Billie, Billie, You hit my Shipper spot with those caps!!!! Now I'm "snurching" (is that the term for "borrowing"?) those pics for future picture stories. Incidentally, for Ship Day I will try to post an occasional picture story and I encourage you, too, because you are sooooo good at this!!!!
                                Thanks nell, fellow pic story legend!! Feel free to snurch away!
                                I do have piccy plans afoot for ship day *she says with a cheeky glint in her eye!!*...can't wait!!

Just got in from work and so it's actually goodnight for me but I will be back to play later!

See yas

Comment

Working...
                                X