Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologize for reposting my own post, but Nell and I are working on a project, and we need your opinion/decisions, so we can make our special surprise work for Ship Day. I hope most everyone will visit the thread by Sunday evening, so we can make a decision, and Nell can send invitations to some special guests on Monday.

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    Speaking of Ship Day, Nell and I are still working on our little project for that day, and to complete it, we need to be able to tell a few people what the name of the thread is going to be in advance (so they know what to look for), where it will be located and what time it will be available. I couldn't find Ship Nana, so I contacted Skydiver, and she said it would be fine for Nell or me to open the thread.

I'll be glad to open the thread, if that's ok with the rest of the family. Here's what I propose:

We Call It: 3rd Annual Sam/Jack Ship Day Thread

(Per Skydiver's suggestion, the first sentence of the first post will note that it is a temporary special event thread.)

We Put It: Under Characters & Relationships

We Open It: 12-midnight Eastern Daylight Time on Thursday, July 28

I'm just proposing this as a starting point. I realize that with so many Europeans in the family, 12-midnight Eastern Time doesn't mean much. So, I'm still looking for opinions on when it ought to open.

SueKay mentioned that in the past, the thread has been opened at midnight, Australian time. One more question: If it's midnight, the start of June 28th in New York, New York, what time is if in Australia? European time/date I can calculate, but I'm not sure about Australia!!!! Help!

Or, do we open it at Midnight Eastern Time, US?
    How about Midnight London Time (That would be 7pm Eastern, I believe)?
    Another Time Zone?

And we could even wait until 12-midnight Pacific Time to close it, if you all wish.....which would be more than 24 hours.

Or, we could pick a time zone and just go 24 hours from when July 28 arrives there.

I'm sorry to keep bothering you with all these decisions. But Nell and I are trying to create a nice surprise for the day, and we just kinda need to have this info in order to invite our special guests!

We made a decision on creating a separate thread in about 24 hours. Can we make this one that way too? Please weigh in with your opinion by lunchtime Saturday.....wherever you are!!!!

Nell and I thank you so much for your indulgence on this!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
      Hey Ayiana!

Don't worry - no offense caused.

For me? Ship is not the main draw...it's just the one that I talk about the most as I don't really fit in with the sciency types. I just feel that without Jack, the show's lost a certain 'oomph' and I feel qualitatively that the show's slowly going downhill...My favourite episodes aren't normally shippy, as long as they're good character-driven episodes. For instance...I love Daniel episodes and I love most of the Teal'c episodes...yet I cannot stand watching Grace...even for that kiss!!!
      Me , I don't need to see ship ..or romantic ship to like an episode but I like to see the 2 main characters I love interact with each other ...as working partners or personal stuff... I don't mind ..whatever !!!! BUT it will never happen with Sam and Jack anymore on screen unless a miracle !!!!. They are my 2 main beloved characters of the show the same as Mac & Harm are in JAG . ...the same as Mulder & Scully are in x-files , the same as Kate & Jack are in Lost ...The same as Roxton & Marguerite are in the Lost world , the same as John Koening & Helena Russel were in space 1999 .
      What I'm trying to say is the romantic aspect of the show drove me straight in the passion for the sci fi show not the other way round

With one of them gone or both of them gone ..the show is for me not so interesting ....I love sci-fi but only because they relate it to reality specially on the human aspect ....FEELINGS .
      otherwise I would watch documentaries ...about Aliens /Aliens abductions .

Caty
      Last edited by Catysg1; 23 July 2005, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Caty I though the Jonas situation was handled very badly.I though Season 6 was very good and Jonas should have been kept on the Show.TPTB had the chance to make it right this Year and went in another direction.I would have Loved to see Jonas Hailey Dixon or Reynolds get the spot on SG-1.

Comment

I apologize for reposting my own post, but Nell and I are working on a project, and we need your opinion/decisions, so we can make our special surprise work for Ship Day. I hope most everyone will visit the thread by Sunday evening, so we can make a decision, and Nell can send invitations to some special guests on Monday.
          Do you have a graphic for the first post yet? I agree with the 12 midnight EST (U.S.) starting time. It worked out fine last year. Whichever time zone you start it in, it’ll have to end in that zone 24 hours later. (Oh – I think it was Shipperahoy (ShipMum), one of our wonderful GW mods, who you probably were looking for in your earlier post about thread-starting, not ShipNana) (Though it would be wonderful to see ShipNana again!)

The 2nd Annual Ship Day Thread (7/28/04) as Bev (dips of jazz) posted for anyone who is interested:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...annual+shipper

Here’s a blurb if you want it for the first post…. (Though you’ve probably already got something wonderful cooked up!)

Happy 3rd Annual Ship Day!

Sam/Jack Ship Day started on GateWorld’s Forum to commemorate the first airing of Divide and Conquer
          5 years ago (originally airing in the U.S. on July 28, 2000). For many S/J Shippers this episode is a favorite for the confessions that Sam and Jack made to each other acknowledging the deeper feelings they held for one another.

This thread is for PRO-Sam/Jack Ship comments, opinions, pix, graphics, and celebration. Please do not post here if you do not like or are against this pairing. There are two threads for anti-sentiments or general discussion: ANTI-S/J Thread and the SHIP Discussion Thread should you wish to voice your opinion.

This celebration thread is open for 24 hours only.
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
            Do you have a graphic for the first post yet? I agree with the 12 midnight EST (U.S.) starting time. It worked out fine last year. Whichever time zone you start it in, it’ll have to end in that zone 24 hours later. (Oh – I think it was Shipperahoy (ShipMum), one of our wonderful GW mods, who you probably were looking for in your earlier post about thread-starting, not ShipNana) (Though it would be wonderful to see ShipNana again!)

The 2nd Annual Ship Day Thread (7/28/04) as Bev (dips of jazz) posted for anyone who is interested:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...annual+shipper

Here’s a blurb if you want it for the first post…. (Though you’ve probably already got something wonderful cooked up!)

Happy 3rd Annual Ship Day!

Sam/Jack Ship Day started on GateWorld’s Forum to commemorate the first airing of Divide and Conquer
            5 years ago (originally airing in the U.S. on July 28, 2000). For many S/J Shippers this episode is a favorite for the confessions that Sam and Jack made to each other acknowledging the deeper feelings they held for one another.

This thread is for PRO-Sam/Jack Ship comments, opinions, pix, graphics, and celebration. Please do not post here if you do not like or are against this pairing. There are two threads for anti-sentiments or general discussion: ANTI-S/J Thread and the SHIP Discussion Thread should you wish to voice your opinion.

This celebration thread is open for 24 hours only.
            ShimmeringStar, thanks for your guidance. Your greeting is very good and if it's worked before why should we reinvent the wheel? **I know, cliches!!!**Question: In the past, was the Ship Day thread spoiler free? IOW, were spoiler tags used for recent and current seasons?
            sigpic

Comment

hi, sg1fanintn.

(i saw your command to s/j shippers on the sam thread )

so... what's your exact question?

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

if it's any help, 12midnight in Australia, Sydney time is around about 10am the previous day in NY.. I think.

So if it's midnight Saturday (going into sunday) it's usually 10am on Saturday morning in NY.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                  I know everyone is entitled to there opinion but I'am shocked that so far more people are not upset about tonight episode.I had the same feeling about tonights epidose I had after watching Icon.I though it was pretty much a waste of an Hour.I just think some Fans love SG-1 and cannot bad mouth the Show.I will give the Show more time and when I think it's bad I'am going to continue to say so.I cannot wait to see the ratings on Monday.You can bet if the ratings are bad the spin will be no AT for the first 5 episodes and the Fans having to get used to the cast.TPTB will not even mention the RDA factor.TPTB and some of the Actors do n ot deserve a pass IMO because the way they talked up Season 9.
                  ses. I was a bit disappointed is Avalon 1 and 2. I'm giving the season a chance, kind of interested in the Orii, but.....
                  Spoiler:
                  Vala's death by fire scene was a bit much......and the many references to sex that Vala spouts off about are too
                  My kids watch Stargate and they know the voilence is not real we have had many discussions about it.........but all the sexual inuendo (spelling???) and Vala's boobs I do not believe are all necessary. Now, mind you, I'm not a prude, but ......................
                  I know you gentlemen are probably loving the look of Vala, but am I the only one that feels this way? I wrote more and them deleted it...........off my soap box.

I'll just go dream about Sam and Jack and create what I want to see in my own mind. Night Shipper Family!!!

Comment

gatewatcher I'll take Sam any Day of the week.Vala does not do much for me.I remember the Anise character taking alot of Heat and IMO Anise was not as bad as Vala.The Vala character reminder me of all the Male characters falling for Sam.Speaking of which it's almost time to see
                    Spoiler:
                    Barrett again.Just great.One good thing is when Barrett asks out Sam again for the 10 time I cannot wait for what Sam has to say to Barrett.This may sound mean but I want to see Barrett get rejected again by Sam.Maybe he'll finally get the message Sam is not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      hi, sg1fanintn.

(i saw your command to s/j shippers on the sam thread )

so... what's your exact question?

sally
                      Oh, honey, it wasn't a command! It was a request. Do I sound like a Goa'uld to you? I hope not! Nell and I have hatched a plan for a surprise for Ship Day, and we just needed to know what the name of the thread is and when it would be started, etc., so we could invite some special guests. Since we're newbies, we're pretty ignorant of the processes, so I just put out a request for input so we could go ahead with the process for our surprise.

You're one of the people who always knows best. I'd really appreciate your input!

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                        gatewatcher I'll take Sam any Day of the week.Vala does not do much for me.I remember the Anise character taking alot of Heat and IMO Anise was not as bad as Vala.The Vala character reminder me of all the Male characters falling for Sam.Speaking of which it's almost time to see
                        Spoiler:
                        Barrett again.Just great.One good thing is when Barrett asks out Sam again for the 10 time I cannot wait for what Sam has to say to Barrett.This may sound mean but I want to see Barrett get rejected again by Sam.Maybe he'll finally get the message Sam is not interested.

Well, I don't mind if he...Avalon
                        Spoiler:
                        asks her out. He's kind of cute! But, the reason I want her to say no is because she is "in a relationship." To which Barrett replies, "So it's true!"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LOL4JACK
                          Nell, my thought are exactly the same, I did not like it, but I did not hate it, it was definitely different though in a way
                          Spoiler:
                          they are introducing a new enemey, a new world and doing that without Sam and Jack is strange, everything is different.

I really liked CM last week, this week we saw more of him and I can only say that he is really a good guy, but how he is unders certain situations, I don't know still to see...

Vala was OK, finally an episode where it was not all about sex with her.

Daniel I really loved in this ep, although he is still talking to fast!.

Still waiting to see next week's as Avalon II is a 2 parter in a 3 ep story development and well, Jack will be there, after that it's just 3 more ep until Sam come back
                          LOL!! Yup....could Daniel's words travel, they'd make it to Atlantis before the Daedalus...

Comment

Originally posted by Ayiana
                            First, good morning to everybody for whom it is still morning

Second, since there's a bit of an informal poll going, I too am a Girl Scout. I'm also the assistant leader for my daughter's junior/cadet troop - gold or silver award projects anyone?

Third, I've been watching the posts here for several weeks, long before I actually joined, much less started posting myself, and I have a question. Do the majority of the people here watch SG-1 primarily for the S/J ship? Are there others, like me, who adore the ship but are quite content to watch the show for other reasons as well? I'm curious because of the number of folks who seem to dislike any episode that doesn't have ship or at least S/J in it.

<snip>

Just my humble opinion - my apologies if I've caused offense...
                            I watched - when I did - for a few reasons, most of which would have to be Jack. IMO, this has always been Jack's story. And from the start, I fell for Jack and all his foibles and failings. And yes, the S/J became important to me, not just because I'm a shipper at heart (regardless of the show) but because it involved Jack. If it had been Daniel or Teal'c, I wouldn't have "shipped" nearly so hard.

That being said, it makes sense that now, in S9, I'd have lost interest in the show. That plus I really feel TPTB have treated the fans who are shippers badly, of course.

Daniel started out as an amusing character, and through S4, I liked him okay, although never got "into" the Danielcentric eps much. Then he turned a corner and became a character I not only couldn't stomach, but just wanted to see gone or SHUT UP! I think it was - again, going back to my view of Jack - his lack of respect for him and the command structure. Yes, Daniel was always running off against orders, but in the earlier seasons, it had an innocence about it. After S4, it was more like he was giving Jack the finger as he went off on his own. That being my view on it, it also makes sense that I have no desire to see a season dedicated to "the greatness that is Daniel." (Okay, another one, since S7 pretty much was this, too)

And while I like Teal'c fine, I don't think the character is strong enough to carry the show or even be front and center. Nothing against Chris or the character, but there's just something not . . . attention grabbing about the whole Jaffa thing. I can't really explain it.

Now, if they'd brought back Jonas this season, I confess, I might still be watching. This was a character I could really get interested in. He was interesting, passionate, and you could *care* about him and what he was going through. Not Jack, but between he and the rest, they might have managed better. But they also should have kept at least *some* things that were familiar. Coming up with four out of six and a half (i'm giving Sam/Amanda the half status, although I know it was more like 3/4), plus all new villains, was just biting off too much.

The one thing that *never* interested me with SG1 was the traditional sci-fi stuff. For me, it was always the character-driven parts that captured and held my interest. If I want to see people shooting at each other in space or weird-looking aliens, I can put SW or any of a zillion other movies into my DVD player. People's personal interaction - that's what captures my interest.

So the show lost Jack. And thereby, lost the S/J ship. Daniel became less likable. Jonas disappeared. Teal'c's storyline never captured me to begin with, and I don't care for shoot-em-ups. Given that as the state-of-being, there's not much on SG1 for me anymore.

All the above is just MO in response to Ayiana's post, and not intended to offend anybody.
                            - Mary
                            SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                            Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater
                              LOL!! Yup....could Daniel's words travel, they'd make it to Atlantis before the Daedalus...
                              If Daniel speaks any quicker he'll break the sound barrier, speed of light and they will no longer need Asgard technology to get them anywhere. They will make a recording of his voice to power the ships!-boom
                              PS Thank You for your informative PM!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silver
                                Howdy, Ayiana!

I can't remember how long ago I started watching SG-1, but I was quite young--about 10/11, I think (and even then I loved the S/J romance ). But I do remember that from the very first time I saw it I began to adore the character of Jack O'Neill. I won't lie when I say I've primarily watched the show for Jack. He makes me laugh and RDA is a wonderful actor. If it hadn't been for his face on screen, I probably would have watched it when I could be bothered, from time to time, but never with the, er, obsession and love that I have done for the past six years. But there again I am going to watch season 9 when it hits the UK so it can't all be about him.

But yes, with Jack came the S/J ship, and I loved it! Unlike you, although I do enjoy different aspects of Stargate, I don't think I'll be as content in season 9 without the ship. Let me rephrase that... I won't be content if there's no emotion between the main characters. I don't think it's the actual romance that captures my imagination, it's the emotion. And despite the teary moments relating to Teal'c and Daniel, one of the best sources for emotion and feelings in the show, for me, centres around Sam and Jack's relationship and predicament.

I do watch SG-1 for other reasons. The "fantasy" genre--the abnormal and unknown--sucks me in like a big whoppin' black hole. In addition, I love action and adventure and the fighting scenes. But to me the best episodes come as a package. Action/capture/adventure usually leads to angst/hurt/danger, which brings about comfort/reassurance/honesty, which in the case of Sam and Jack equals SHIP. These are episodes such as Upgrades, Message in a Bottle, Into the Fire, Solitudes, Metamorphosis, Heroes and Lost City.

What I'm trying to say is that without emotion the episodes with or without their fancy ships, unusual aliens and big shiny guns don't mean a thing. Threads and Grace to me are two of the best episodes they've made, merely because of how sentimental they are (and even more emotional was Abyss, which is my absolute favourite due to Jack's pain and Daniel's comforting presence). Even in Window of Opportunity, which was one of my most humorous TV moments ever, the best, most powerful scene involved Jack shouting that he'd "lost his son" and seeing the reactions play across the faces of the three other SG-1 members.

So yeah, I do watch Stargate for the ship--because to me it's one of the most prominent and central sources for emotion and feelings in the show. It's rich in angst (aren't I nice? ). And whatever new dynamics they introduce to us in season nine, I somehow doubt they could ever replace the depth of our favourite pair's feelings for the other... Mitchell or no Mitchell as a newly-intergrated part of the team.

Anyway, folks, it's good to be back, once again indulging Sam and Jack shippiness! I have a lot in this thread to read! What's Avalon like?
                                *grumbles*

Am I the only one that had to be mentally bludgeoned with WoO and D&C before I realized there was S/J ship?

Yup....I'm Shipper Town's village idiot...

Comment

Working...
                                X