Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everybody. I see you're discussing Pete Shanahan, so I guess I'll add my two cents in to the conversation. Before I do, though, I should probably mention that the only thing I'd seen David DeLuise on before SG-1 was Saved by the Bell: The College Years, where he played a slob at ap oker game. So as you can tell the image in my mind of him wasn't so high to begin with.

That said, I didn't particularly like his character, for some of the reasons mentioned before. I think Pete Shanahan as a character failed for a simple reason - TPTB were trying to tie up all kinds of stories together in the episodes he was in, and did it poorly.

I don't see him as a stalker, because I realize that the background check in "Chimera" was really only an attempt to tie the "A" story of Sam and Pete to the "B" story of Daniel and Osiris. I agree that it was a foolish way to do it and very sloppy writing, but I see what they were trying to do, which IMHO was not to create some obsessive boyfriend for Sam but someone normal (or at least relatively so), but at the same time keep him around and tie him to the other story.

The same thing happened to Pete in "Affinity". They tried to intertwine the A" story of Teal'c and his neighbour, with the "B" story of Sam and Pete, and with the "C" story of the Trust, which was once again poorly put together and appeared so clumsy.

What do you guys think? How wrong am I?

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
      Hi, I'm new to the forums as a poster though I've lurked for a while (also on this thread) and just wanted to drop in to say hello. Oh, another Peter DeLuise cameo was in "Descent". He's the navy lieutenant that comes into the ship after it crashes with Jonas and Teal'c and says "Yes sir!" when Jonas tells him to leave.
      WELCOME SUMI 1 pull a chair and ship away

Comment

What do you guys think? How wrong am I?
        nope, i think you have a very valid point! I agree that Pete's not so much of a stalker and i also agree that the writers were just trying to give sam a normal...life, i guess.
        "ALWAYS"

"You know love. It's a strange and mysterious... thing..." - Jack "Sacrifices"

SAM/JACK for sg1
        and though i promised myself i wouldn't ship for atlantis.... PROUD SHWEIR SHIPPER

Comment

WELCOME SUM1!!

Yep, sloppy writing to squeeze in ! Season 8
          Spoiler:
          I don't think Pete was a stalker but poor interpersonal boundaries. Never could I believe Hammond would agree for a casual non-family member to be given TOP SECRET info especially after interfered with the stakeout. Oh, and why stop here? ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to participating in SGC raid of the NID site. So, yes, SUM1, thanks for sharing your opinions and I agree with you.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamCarterONeill
            nope, i think you have a very valid point! I agree that Pete's not so much of a stalker and i also agree that the writers were just trying to give sam a normal...life, i guess.
            Hehehe, it's not the only time they messed up. Sam's character really took a beating (a metaphorical one anyway) in "Gemini" for the sake of making the replicators more powerful, which is a shame because they could have written the episode in a much better way (at least, I think it's better) which would have advanced the plot the way they wanted it it, tied it into "Endgame" and still keep Sam from looking incompotent.

Comment

JMallozzi is answering questions right now and he answered one about Sam and Jack .... weeps . ... weeps ... Those who knows how to link a text please go over and put it here.

Comment

The Question and the Answer

Comment

thank you for posting that Sum1.... I cry .... weeps .... bawls ....

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                    JMallozzi is answering questions right now and he answered one about Sam and Jack .... weeps . ... weeps ... Those who knows how to link a text please go over and put it here.
                    gatebee, Like you I've been following Joe's postings this a.m. BUT, I am steadfast in my opinion that there is some hope!!! A little bit of hope! Like he said, "Rick isn't on the show anymore." But, let's see what they do with that challenge. What upsets me though is he described a certain fan segment who complain and whine and cannot be satisfied. Guess who he's speaking of?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                      gatebee, Like you I've been following Joe's postings this a.m. BUT, I am steadfast in my opinion that there is some hope!!! A little bit of hope! Like he said, "Rick isn't on the show anymore." But, let's see what they do with that challenge. What upsets me though is he described a certain fan segment who complain and whine and cannot be satisfied. Guess who he's speaking of?
                      you know life is too short .... I don't really worry about those who complain .... I just want my Sam and Jack ship with a big hunking real kiss

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                        you know life is too short .... I don't really worry about those who complain .... I just want my Sam and Jack ship with a big hunking real kiss
                        Me too. Now I want to go to bed but Joe's still posting and I keep peeking.
                        sigpic

Comment

They could very easily resolve the ship without having to really pay much money at all. All they need to do is change where it says "Carter" in the script to "O'Neill" and presto, they've resolved it. Granted, it wouldn't not the best way, but it would be something.

Comment

me too I keep jumping back and forth like crazy

Comment

They could very easily resolve the ship without having to really pay much money at all. All they need to do is change where it says "Carter" in the script to "O'Neill" and presto, they've resolved it. Granted, it wouldn't not the best way, but it would be something.
                              they could fix it like that but that is not what I would really like it handled

Comment

My questions are next on the list so hopefully he will get to them tonight. I'm hoping it's taking a while because he's thinking up some nice, detailed answers.

Comment

Working...
                                X