This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
    I think we've got a couple new spoilers, but I doubt you'll like 'em.

And we've missed you, too.
    do tell!
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better! I don't know why the whole Sam/Jack thing worked so well for me, but it did. It's pretty rare to see two actors who light up the screen like those two did when they were together, and I've had 62 years of life experience to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
        Thank you, I couldn't have said it better! I don't know why the whole Sam/Jack thing worked so well for me, but it did. It's pretty rare to see two actors who light up the screen like those two did when they were together, and I've had 62 years of life experience to draw from.
        Hi everyone. Has anyone ever done an informal survey on the ages of shippers? I'm probably above the average age too (42) and wondered how diverse our ages were.
        -girlgater

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
          It strikes me that TPTB are being foolish. For some reason, instead of trying to hold the audience they think they are going to lose, they are working at pushing it further away. The Daniel-Uber-Alles/MS fans are going to stay, because their character/actor is still on the show and still getting episodes and storylines (even if, like the entire Vala business, they make the character look, IMO, cute but stupid. It would also be nice to see *Daniel*storylines, instead of "Daniel pretending to be a mini-Jack" storylines, but I don't hold out much hope).

The new Farscape fans they hope to bring in will come because BB is a regular in the show, and CB recurring actor. And since it seems that Browder's character is going to have definite Jack-like traits, that will also mean he'll have certain similarities to Crichton (who had Jack-like traits).

So, these guys are going to stay, at least for a while (depending on the quality of the show). OTOH, there are a bunch of fans who are less sanguine about the coming season. The Jack fans are losing their favorite character and the character they've tended to believe was the core character (and they may also believe, as I do, that everything and everyone sparked better in the days when Jack was a strong presence on the show). The Sam fans are losing the character for five eps; are seeing the possibility of the character's presence being lessened because AT wants to spend more time with her daughter; are seeing what appears to be a "demotion" for the character in regard to the new male lead; and are facing the possibility that the character will continue to be mulched the way TPTB have mulched it for the last two years. And they hear the PTB talking about how season 9 will have new storylines for Daniel and Teal'c; no mention of Sam.

Clearly, the S/J fans are losing a thread they loved to watch.

Further, there are fans who think that the story of SG1, which started with the Goa'uld, should have ended with them, and that the "new directions" sound a lot like the old ones.

You would think that they would be going out of their way to reassure *these* fans, the ones already thinking of leaving, that they really want to stay. That Jack will remain a "presence", even if physically gone, in the way the Daniel was constantly being mentioned in season 6. Something you *don't* do by insulting RDA, BTW.

That Sam would not be losing her position and that they will emphasize the character's brilliance and show her in leadership situations (rather than trotting out old characters who still want to flirt with her).

That S/J has been positively resolved--interestingly, resolving the S/J thread by making it clear that the two are moving forward with their relationship, would eliminate the time wasted in the show on go-nowhere one-off flirtations and would maximize Sam's team time.)

That we aren't going the dumbest common denominator humor route (as Farscape often did) and that we aren't bringing in a whole new set of--drum roll--false gods. Yep, that's new. Or wasting more time on the Ascended, perhaps the show's most boring and annoying creation.

You would think that, but you'd be wrong. They seem to have decided that they don't care if they lose all these people. Certainly, they are doing their best to show us the door.

Too bad, because when the fights break out between the Daniel fans--because BB is getting too damn much screen time and is too important when everyone knows that Daniel is the center of the show--and the Farscape fans--who want BB to be the male lead the way he was in Farscape and to have the biggest chunk of screen time and who like BB to ship and so forth--we would have been calm center. And if you thought this fandom was fractured before, just wait a little. S/J will turn out to be a tempest in a teapot by comparison.

J.
          You hit it righton in so many ways. I remember a letter to the editor in the TV GUIDE scolding the magazine for not saying Daniel was the main character in the show rather than Jack, or words to that effect. I myself think that there are a core of fans who are SciFi fans who will keep watching just because they always have, but if the stories aren't good even they will drift away. The complaints about S8 came from all directions, not just from Jack fans or Sam/Jack fans. And good stories shouldn't mean just recycling old ones. It seemed that they wanted to pretty much end the Gouald and replicator stories, kill off the Tok-ra plots (did we even see a Tok-ra or Jacob between Deathknell and Reckoning?), ascension again?--hope not. The Jaffa are free, so what can they do there besides show infighting. (an aside, what kind of jobs are all these Jaffa going to have now that they aren't Gouald soldiers?) And I have a feeling they are drifting off from the Asgard. Any of those stories could be resurrected, I know. But the fact that they are going to bring up Sam's old admirers indicates to me that they running thin on where to go.

Comment

Sometimes people post an answer or agreement to someone but don't indicate to whom they are replying leaving the rest of us in the dark(unless we are unusually astute or the answer is very obvious). Quoting what you are replying to will help us.

Comment

DarkQuee I cannot say Brillant enough.IMO there is no new direction it's the same tired direction.Bring back all the Sam Man Friends make Sam Play nice with everyone and be afraid to step on some Toes.I Loved how Sam was with
              Spoiler:
              Dr. Lee when Jack went missing in Paradise Lost.It's a Shame we only see that Sam every 6 Years.TPTB have gone out of there way to push the Shippers away from the Show.You would think TPTB would have wanted to wrap up the Sam and Jack Ship in a way that left no questions on whether there together or not so they did not have to answer anymore Sam and Jack Ship questions.You would also think TPTB would say some Nice things about RDA and make him feel wanted.It may not help as far as more Season 9 appearances but you never know. I'am starting to wish Roland Emmerich the Man who did the Stargate Movie did the Show as well.I may be wrong but I feel the Show probably would have been 10 times better.I liked the Movie Daniel much better than the TV Daniel.

Comment

Wow! Have a busy day at work, don't get to check GW at lunch and look what happens! Not only do we need huge quantities of shipper cookies. We may need some Prozac here!

I wish I could say something to cheer everyone up. But I'm feeling just like all of you are. First of all, Oma-1, love the Jack homage collage you did! It fit my mood too. I couldn't rep you, but I wanted you to know.

I've been thinking a lot the past couple of days about the fact that RDA is gone. I was hopeful at first that he'd be back for an additional four episodes this year. Now, with TPTB taking vague pot shots at him (by talking about how "magical" the set is with BB), I don't know why he'd WANT to come back. For us, maybe? I hope.

One other thought: RDA still owns part of the franchise. What impact does that have? I don't know. I am really down about the whole S9 outlook.

DarkQuee1 said it well:

It strikes me that TPTB are being foolish. For some reason, instead of trying to hold the audience they think they are going to lose, they are working at pushing it further away.

The Jack fans are losing their favorite character and the character they've tended to believe was the core character (and they may also believe, as I do, that everything and everyone sparked better in the days when Jack was a strong presence on the show). The Sam fans are losing the character for five eps; are seeing the possibility of the character's presence being lessened because AT wants to spend more time with her daughter; are seeing what appears to be a "demotion" for the character in regard to the new male lead; and are facing the possibility that the character will continue to be mulched the way TPTB have mulched it for the last two years. And they hear the PTB talking about how season 9 will have new storylines for Daniel and Teal'c; no mention of Sam.

Clearly, the S/J fans are losing a thread they loved to watch.
                And now, it appears AT won't be back til Ep 8 (Beachhead). I found that out on another thread last night (SAGC I think).

You would think that they would be going out of their way to reassure *these* fans, the ones already thinking of leaving, that they really want to stay. That Jack will remain a "presence", even if physically gone, in the way the Daniel was constantly being mentioned in season 6. Something you *don't* do by insulting RDA, BTW.

That Sam would not be losing her position and that they will emphasize the character's brilliance and show her in leadership situations (rather than trotting out old characters who still want to flirt with her).

That S/J has been positively resolved--Iinterestingly, resolving the S/J thread by making it clear that the two are moving forward with their relationship, would eliminate the time wasted in the show on go-nowhere one-off flirtations and would maximize Sam's team time.

That we aren't going the dumbest common denominator humor route (as Farscape often did) and that we aren't bringing in a whole new set of--drum roll--false gods. Yep, that's new. Or wasting more time on the Ascended, perhaps the show's most boring and annoying creation.

You would think that, but you'd be wrong. They seem to have decided that they don't care if they lose all these people. Certainly, they are doing their best to show us the door.

Too bad, because when the fights break out between the Daniel fans--because BB is getting too damn much screen time and is too important when everyone knows that Daniel is the center of the show--and the Farscape fans--who want BB to be the male lead the way he was in Farscape and to have the biggest chunk of screen time and who like BB to ship and so forth--we would have been calm center. And if you thought this fandom was fractured before, just wait a little. S/J will turn out to be a tempest in a teapot by comparison.
                It's a dark view of S9.....I wish TPTB would tell us something that would make us feel a little reassured.

Comment

You may return to your regular Shipping after this brief annoucement!!

SG1Happy!!!

May all your Birthday Wishes come true!!

Token ~

Comment

With all the talk about Season 9, I found a pic of Jack that might display his true feelings of Season 9.

Token ~

Comment

Of course, Sam is not too happy either.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by nickatell

(snip)

This of course is my brain talking; on the other hand my heart sits here hoping that there will be a fabulous passionate resolution between Jack and Sam (ooooy). Will someone please wake me from my dream, unless I'm smiling then wait a little while.
                        i'm holding on, too, with hope.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

I've been thinking a lot the past couple of days about the fact that RDA is gone. I was hopeful at first that he'd be back for an additional four episodes this year. Now, with TPTB taking vague pot shots at him (by talking about how "magical" the set is with BB), I don't know why he'd WANT to come back. For us, maybe? I hope.

I've been suffering from and extended case of Real Life myself, so I didn't see the story you refer to. Could you point me to it because I don't see how TPTB being enthusiastic about Ben Browder means they are taking pot shots at RDA. Did they say anything specific?

Bucky

Comment

Sorry I know you all are having a really serious conversation here, but I've been trying to keep positive so I thought I'd toss in a bit of S/J humor to hopefully lighten the mood a little. Hope you don't mind.

Just remember... it ain't over till it's over...or is that till the fat lady sings... oh well. One of those. Don't get too down. Hopefully there is a small light at the end of the tunnel.

Daniel: Hey Jack, did Sam show you what she bought herself for an early birthday present?

Sam: (embarrassed) Daniel!

Daniel: What? (grinning) Go ahead...show him.

Jack: What?

Sam: (giving Daniel a dirty look) It's nothing sir...really.

Jack: Come on Carter, you obviously already showed Daniel. Let's see.

Sam: (glaring at Daniel) Yes sir. (Raising her shirt)

Jack: Is that what I think it is?

Daniel: It's a naval ring.

Jack: Carter that's...

Sam: I know...(cringing)...it's against regulations. I promise... I'll remove it while I'm on base.

Jack: I was gonna say...hot.

Sam: Really?

Jack: Really.

Sam/Jack: (thinking) Wow!
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 18 May 2005, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Sorry I know you all are having a really serious conversation here, but I've been trying to keep positive so I thought I'd toss in a bit of S/J humor to hopefully lighten the mood a little. Hope you don't mind.

Just remember... it ain't over till it's over...or is that till the fat lady sings... oh well. One of those. Don't get too down. Hopefully there is a small light at the end of the tunnel.

Daniel: Hey Jack, did Sam show you what she bought herself for an early birthday present?

Sam: (embarrassed) Daniel!

Daniel: What? (grinning) Go ahead...show him.

Jack: What?

Sam: (giving Daniel a dirty look) It's nothing sir...really.

Jack: Come on Carter, you obviously already showed Daniel. Let's see.

Sam: (glaring at Daniel) Yes sir. (Raising her shirt)

Jack: Is that what I think it is?

http://img266.echo.cx/img266/4736/navalring4gy.jpg

Daniel: It's a naval ring.

Jack: Carter that's...

Sam: I know...(cringing)...it's against regulations. I promise... I'll remove it while I'm on base.

Jack: I was gonna say...hot.

Sam: Really?

Jack: Really.

Sam/Jack: (thinking) Wow!
                              Nice one Kat!

Hey TN - better be careful about mixing those cookies with prozac - never know what might happen....

If you're lucky you might get

Alternatively .... *shudder*
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-ifanintn
                                I wish I could say something to cheer everyone up. But I'm feeling just like all of you are. First of all, Oma-1, love the Jack homage collage you did! It fit my mood too. I couldn't rep you, but I wanted you to know.
                                Thank you

Can anyone tell us if the lack of spoilers for S/J is normal in the run up to a new season? Or is it specifically this year cos of no*don't want to say it-going into denial la-la-la-la*. Is it always like this in the run up to a new season? Can't believe I've got to wait until Oct 5th to see it! Thank goodness for spoilers or I think the anticipation would kill me - especially with it being so angsty for us shippers Either way - I NEED to KNOW!
                                Last edited by Oma-1; 18 May 2005, 10:10 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X