Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thought here: If we are not suppose to get caught up in relationships on the show than why do episodes like Heroes.
    Spoiler:
    If we didn't care about Janet dying or the possibility of any of our characters dying or how it would effect any of our characters, I don't think that show would have carried the same impact.
    Besides Daniels whole existance from the beginning and the reason he joined SG-1 was to find his wife, funny a relationship. You know just from being on this thread with new people joining all the time, questions are asked and re-asked all the time but that is to be expected and understood and if you can't handle it you leave, maybe TPTB should think about that. If TPTB are so tired of the shipper questions about relationships than why don't they end it for good. Or is it simply because the questions are about Sam and Jack and that I don't understand at all. Give Sam and Jack a proper resolution and the questions will start to disappear. Here's a thought maybe if TPTB were not so vague in their answers about Jack and Sam so we wouldn't have to do so much speculating, we wouldn't have to ask the questions hundreds of times and hundreds of different ways just to get a straight forward answer; that the problem would be solved. Direct answers could and would end all of their misery.

Sidenote; If TPTB knew that RDA signed on for only 5 seasons, which is a lot, and when they were lucky enough to convince him to sign on for a sixth, than why in the heck didn't they resolve the relationship than? Actually they should have resolved it at the end of five because if I remember correctly even MS was unhappy and leaving.

You know I have been thinking about AT's comment about being only known as "Jack's
    girl", that problem wouldn't be with US WANTING IT; it would however be with TPTB WRITING IT and that could be a scary thought.if her relationship with Pete was any insight into how they write relationships. Do you get the idea I just don't trust them.

I'm sorry if my thoughts are all scattered, it's just I write them as I get them, scary right.

Comment

((((((nickatell)))))))

I heart ya...TPTB are what's wrong...I think the actors seriously do the best they can with what they're given...the actors on both shows are wonderful, and very on touch with the fans. I think the same can be said for Peter DeLuise and Joe Mallozzi, but I sometimes think Joe holds his tongue rather than saying what he feels...
      I seriously don't think any of them expected the ship to become this big, and I don't think they were expecting RDA and AT to play into it the way they did. At the end of the day, if they want a lot of us to keep watching...they need to make a statement of somekind ie.

Dear viewers of SG1

We can inform you that Sam and Jack are an item...happy shipping campers!

Instead...we get

Dear SG1 Viewers

We can inform you that Sam and Jack have done something about the ship...whether positive or negative...you'll have to watch some more and buy the dvds and the rest of the merchandise to find out.

They should have FINISHED it. Either by getting them together, or having them categorically state that they aren't together...they can only skirt around the issue for so long.

Gah! I'm babbling!
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
        Nickatell - Although I'm planning to go to GateCon next year...I'm not going to approach the subject of Sam and Jack...or any ship for that matter for the reasons you've just said.

Sadly...this whole 'taboo' thing seems limited to the US and Canada and it's a shame because I'm betting there's just as many shippers there as there are in Europe and Australasia.

At conventions and clubs I've been to, ship's not seen as taboo. At Star Trek things...I've mentioned ship to people and the answer's been 'Whatever floats your boat!' and at the one and only Stargate Con I've been to the answer was 'Whatever dials your gate!'

One nice thing that happened at the Stargate con that myself, Astro and Mishy attended was when a question about Janet/Daniel question was asked by two members of the Daniel/Janet fanlisting. There wasn't a bad vibe or a sudden hush after the question was asked, and Teryl didn't mind answering it...I think TPTB would get a fright if they went to a con in the UK...
        I don't think that the shippy questions are "taboo". You are free to ask whatever you want. But at my con, who was I gonna ask? The Dan/Jan shippers DID ask Teryl about ship, and she was thrilled. But she is also wanting to get back on the show Now when similar questions were asked of Shanks, his reply wasn't what the shippers wanted to hear- since he doesn't care for ship, but he was polite about it. No big deal. Neither RDA nor Amanda were at my latest con. And I don't think TPTB will answer ANY questions directly. They won't give anything away, nor will they say anything that will turn you away, BECAUSE they want to keep you watching. In fact, I am sure that is an answer that is used a lot.... "Just keep watching!"

I am hoping to go to Vancouver next year too, but I think I'll choose the creation con

Comment

((((((nickatell)))))))

I heart ya...TPTB are what's wrong...I think the actors seriously do the best they can with what they're given...the actors on both shows are wonderful, and very on touch with the fans. I think the same can be said for Peter DeLuise and Joe Mallozzi, but I sometimes think Joe holds his tongue rather than saying what he feels...
          I seriously don't think any of them expected the ship to become this big, and I don't think they were expecting RDA and AT to play into it the way they did. At the end of the day, if they want a lot of us to keep watching...they need to make a statement of somekind ie.

Dear viewers of SG1

We can inform you that Sam and Jack are an item...happy shipping campers!

Instead...we get

Dear SG1 Viewers

We can inform you that Sam and Jack have done something about the ship...whether positive or negative...you'll have to watch some more and buy the dvds and the rest of the merchandise to find out.

They should have FINISHED it. Either by getting them together, or having them categorically state that they aren't together...they can only skirt around the issue for so long.

Gah! I'm babbling!
          You are too cute! You aren't babbling, just sharing your thoughts. I would have loved for their to have been a more definitive ending, and with all my heart I'd love for them to address it in season 9. But instead, I think that TPTB didn't want to alienate any particular fan base, so they left it open. And the fact that RDA won't be around is probably another factor. TPTB needed to find a reason to write him out, without it ONLY being because of Sam.

I think you are 100% correct about the merchandising and such. Why else would they continue a show without the lead actor, and one lead actress for a third of the season? M-O-N-E-Y!!

Comment

Why creation??? GateCon's fan run!!!!!!

(And I can't go to creation as it'll probably overlap with exams *grumble*)

Oh well...Don't worry...If I go to a con...I'll try and ask some shippy questions...but only if the opportunity presents itself or I'll look like an idiot
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kri
              I don't think that the shippy questions are "taboo". You are free to ask whatever you want. But at my con, who was I gonna ask? The Dan/Jan shippers DID ask Teryl about ship, and she was thrilled. But she is also wanting to get back on the show Now when similar questions were asked of Shanks, his reply wasn't what the shippers wanted to hear- since he doesn't care for ship, but he was polite about it. No big deal. Neither RDA nor Amanda were at my latest con. And I don't think TPTB will answer ANY questions directly. They won't give anything away, nor will they say anything that will turn you away, BECAUSE they want to keep you watching. In fact, I am sure that is an answer that is used a lot.... "Just keep watching!"

I am hoping to go to Vancouver next year too, but I think I'll choose the creation con
              LOL......oh your post reminded just how funny and *open* Teryl Rothery is about the Janet/Daniel ship....she is just hilarious playing up that angle

Since AT also wasn't at this last Con. you are right...it does make it a bit harder to ask ship questions...

I can say that every single one of the women I went with to the Con will tell you I have NO SHAME and had I believed that there would have time to get my question answered I would have asked it. It really just didn't work out

I did however post a no-nonsense question to Joe on his thread and just asked outright and I stated that his answer of *Obvious* just isn't enough...so we shall see if he even answers it.... But I have no problem asking things...just need the opportunity
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Why creation??? GateCon's fan run!!!!!!

(And I can't go to creation as it'll probably overlap with exams *grumble*)

Oh well...Don't worry...If I go to a con...I'll try and ask some shippy questions...but only if the opportunity presents itself or I'll look like an idiot
                Not Gatecon for two reasons:

I am not a huge Sci-Fi fan (I only love SG-1 and the original Star Wars trilogy), and it looks like Gatecon is full of actors I wouldn't have a clue about.

Also, I have been to two Creation events and have thoroughly loved them both.

Comment

Yeah...you really do need the right opportunity...often the question panels will have actors or directors getting into technical things or talking about personal things...if someone's talking about their first TV show, suddenly chiming in with 'will character X get and character Y get together' just gets you odd looks.

*thinks back to her first Trek Con*

I'll never do that again.

Anywho...favourite hug... (have I answered this already?)

Has to be Into the Fire...so sweet...you wanna give Jack a big hug and a steaming cup of hot chocolate or...no...can't possible write that! (PG forum!)
                  sigpic

Comment

(((Nickatell))) you are so right ..it is so sad that shippers feel bad about asking questions and that the actors look bored when a fan asks a question about Sam and Jack ..After all ..if they want the questions to stop on that subject ..all they have to do is resolve it and show a bit of it on screen .

I'm surprised RDA didn't have a word about it ..if he knew he was not gonna be there much for season 9 !!!!!but may be ..he has a great idea in mind to surprise us all at the end of season 9!!!!

I also think that by not answering the Sam and Jack questions ...they may just scare the Shippers away who will not buy the season 8 and 9 DVD's ..I'm not buying ( TPTB 's attitude put me off really , do not want to spend another penny for a production who don't listen to the fans or don't care ) although I think all in all the 8 years were good ..I still think that the show should have stopped at season 7 ...with a storyline not including Pete ...but have the regulations problem dealt with in that season .

I think Sam is a great character ..she changed a lot but I do appreciate her vunerability in some episodes sometimes .Shame that Chimera , New Order and Affinity had Pete in it ..because ..I thought they could have been excellent episodes ...if the storyline about Sam would have been something else ( like Jack and the regs) rather than another lover

and ((((suekay))) loved your comments too

Caty

Comment

Hi everybody. Is the mini-ship day still on for tomorrow? As a "newbie" to the ship day thing, is there anything I need to do, or bring? If not, I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the show (everything shippy, of course)!
                      -girlgater

Comment

here is my 2 c.
                        I have never been to a convention would like to go but far to costly. IMO the producers, writers, and actors can't say much about S/J ship. If they say nothing will happen that ends every thing. If they say they will definitely marry off S/J than the story line has ended. The way they have been doing it for the past 8 yrs keeping everything up in the air is what keeps us coming back for more and wishing and dreaming. And that is money in their pockets. So on to S9 Sam and Jack forever

Comment

Originally posted by girlgater
                          Hi everybody. Is the mini-ship day still on for tomorrow? As a "newbie" to the ship day thing, is there anything I need to do, or bring? If not, I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the show (everything shippy, of course)!

Yeah tomorrow ..16 pm UK time ..not sure what that is in your area

and I'll bring some shippy surprises ...that you may like

Caty

Comment

Yeah...you really do need the right opportunity...often the question panels will have actors or directors getting into technical things or talking about personal things...if someone's talking about their first TV show, suddenly chiming in with 'will character X get and character Y get together' just gets you odd looks.

*thinks back to her first Trek Con*

I'll never do that again.
                            Well if THAT was the only time you got *Odd Looks* then you are doing pretty good..... I seem to get *odd looks*...ALL THE TIME........ mmm you don't think that it because the moment someone says *Oh I like StarGate* I pounce on them and ask them to explain their postion on *S&J Ship*...

I mean really we should have our topics in order of priority right??
                            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                              Yeah tomorrow ..16 pm UK time ..not sure what that is in your area

and I'll bring some shippy surprises ...that you may like

Caty
                              Oh...you're so mean! I'm so anxious now! I can't wait! I love surprises! Especially if they're dealing with Jack & Sam.
                              -girlgater

Comment

I've never been to a convention before, and probably will never get the chance. That being said, it would be hard for me (since I'm such a wimp), sitting in a room of people, to stick my neck out and ask a shippy question. I'm proud of being a shipper, but I take rejection pretty hard.

If I were to go to a convention, I'd like it to be one that had the really big actors (especially RDA & AT). I might even get up enough courage to ask a shippy question. Of course, they may never appear together again (if they ever did which I don't know).

Sorry this is so rambling...I've had an ADD kind of day.
                                -girlgater

Comment

Working...
                                X